With pick #89 in the NFL draft the Rams select Joseph Noteboom OT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Maybe he converts to a starting guard?

I definitely trust Kromer to get the best out of him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just search for Andrew Whitworth’s pre draft scouting reports. There are many that critiqued him.

Not suggesting Noteboom will develop like Whitworth, but he had some developing to do as well when selected.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/andrew_whitworth.html

Whitworth has the tendency to stand tall at times, and is vulnerable to double moves by defensive ends. He does not adjust very well to counter moves. He is more of a jack of all trades type, and does not dominate in any one area. He’s not the stud athlete to be a standout left tackle, and isn’t as strong as you typically want your right tackle to be.

In a deep tackle class, Whitworth is up near the top. He projects very well as a left tackle, but does not have the upside other tackles may have. He’s as experienced and as durable a lineman as you will find and that will endear him to a lot of teams. He looks like a solid second round selection.

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/9218

However, Whitworth is not a great athlete and he does not possess explosive qualities. In fact, he's a bit of an overachiever. He lacks great range as a run blocker and he will struggle versus elite edge rushers in the NFL. He played his entire collegiate career at left tackle but is clearly a better fit at the right tackle position in the NFL. Whitworth projects as a second or third round prospect in the 2006 class.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought there was a chance the Rams would go "OT" with there 3rd round pick. But I was surprised when they did, and it was Noteboom of all the Possibilities!

When it finally got to "THE PICK" I looked at my board and was sure I knew the pick Yes!! it was going to be " DE- Josh Sweat - Florida State" / Edge rusher/ 6ft 4-251- 142.2 SPARQ score!! I WAS WRONG!
Best endorsement of the pick yet is he wasn't a sparq guy :sneaky:
Though from what I've read the Whiners have taken sparq guys and they all hate their picks.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Here's why I have a problem with the pick;
The dude is a project.
At the minimum he is a one-year project which leaves Goff vulnerable this year.
So we're basically where we were when the draft started with our top overall pick.
As we move down the draft the quality of the linebackers available has to go down too (theoretically).
We are THAT thin at linebacker that we are a injury away from a problem at that position.
6'5 is short for a tackle. The main problem being he has the shorter arms of a 6-5 man.
The list of his shortcomings is long and he doesn't really look like a natural tackle to me from the video available.

Finding a starting left tackle in the third round of the draft is pretty rare.

As usual, I'm pulling for the guy.
Here's to hoping he proves me wrong.
I dunno man, not going to find many polished and pro-ready players in the 3rd round as it is?
Saw a few people lobbying for Orlando Brown, and he seems to be this guy's antithesis - prototypical size but mobility is a concern, uses his size and doesn't rely on technique.
I'm imagining a scenario where this team is relying on Cornelius Lucas to come in and save the day in a pinch because this 3rd round pick instead went to a situational pass rusher. I think I'm happy with this.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I am not a fan of this pick. Snead has returned to his old ways. Look for athleticism above all, only, that never worked out for him on offense. There were better players on the board. The big run on OTs forced Snead to draft Notebook earlier than he should have.
One thing I know for sure is that Snead is exuding the same symptoms as -Ex-Partner In Crime Jeff Fisher-
a case of “the smartest guy in the room” syndrome.Notebook=Bad overreach by Snead-Rams.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing I know for sure is that Snead is exuding the same symptoms as -Ex-Partner In Crime Jeff Fisher-
a case of “the smartest guy in the room” syndrome.Notebook=Bad overreach by Snead-Rams.

How so?

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Here's why I have a problem with the pick;
The dude is a project.
At the minimum he is a one-year project which leaves Goff vulnerable this year.
So we're basically where we were when the draft started with our top overall pick.
As we move down the draft the quality of the linebackers available has to go down too (theoretically).
We are THAT thin at linebacker that we are a injury away from a problem at that position.
6'5 is short for a tackle. The main problem being he has the shorter arms of a 6-5 man.
The list of his shortcomings is long and he doesn't really look like a natural tackle to me from the video available.

Finding a starting left tackle in the third round of the draft is pretty rare.

As usual, I'm pulling for the guy.
Here's to hoping he proves me wrong.

Agree it is difficult to find a starting LT in round 3, but he will have time to develop, and if he does not show he can handle the spot, can move to G. Saffold & Brown contracts are up this year, Noteboom can be the next man up for one of those spots. Not a bad way for a 3rd rounder to turn out, a starting G.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
His arms are longer than Havenstein's and shorter than Whitworth's by 5/8". I'm not saying Notebloom is or will become these guys but here are some other short and short armed tackles, Jason Peters, Donald Penn, Trent Williams, David Bakhtiari, Jake Matthews.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dunno man, not going to find many polished and pro-ready players in the 3rd round as it is?
Saw a few people lobbying for Orlando Brown, and he seems to be this guy's antithesis - prototypical size but mobility is a concern, uses his size and doesn't rely on technique.
I'm imagining a scenario where this team is relying on Cornelius Lucas to come in and save the day in a pinch because this 3rd round pick instead went to a situational pass rusher. I think I'm happy with this.
Totally agree, hell people taken in the 1st round need coaching and are projects. Brown has great film but IMO is the antithesis of Notebloom.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
This guy moves really well for his size. I trust in Kromer, look what our OL did this last year compared to the year before..

Ram65

Legend
Noteboom addresses a big time need. What we do on offense goes through Goff and Gurley. This pick helps protects that plan, with an eye toward future years and needs, as well.

Any player that makes it to the latter part of round 3... has holes in their game to work on. If Kromer sees the potential he wants in Noteboom, good enough for me! (y)

Besides, the pool of players available to contribute immediately at linebacker is likely much deeper. Players at ends, linebacker, and safeties are all in consideration. Small school, perhaps athletic types, etc. I suspect we’ll throw a lot of hooks in the water to find help at LB.

Just search for Andrew Whitworth’s pre draft scouting reports. There are many that critiqued him.

Not suggesting Noteboom will develop like Whitworth, but he had some developing to do as well when selected.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/andrew_whitworth.html

Whitworth has the tendency to stand tall at times, and is vulnerable to double moves by defensive ends. He does not adjust very well to counter moves. He is more of a jack of all trades type, and does not dominate in any one area. He’s not the stud athlete to be a standout left tackle, and isn’t as strong as you typically want your right tackle to be.

In a deep tackle class, Whitworth is up near the top. He projects very well as a left tackle, but does not have the upside other tackles may have. He’s as experienced and as durable a lineman as you will find and that will endear him to a lot of teams. He looks like a solid second round selection.

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/9218

However, Whitworth is not a great athlete and he does not possess explosive qualities. In fact, he's a bit of an overachiever. He lacks great range as a run blocker and he will struggle versus elite edge rushers in the NFL. He played his entire collegiate career at left tackle but is clearly a better fit at the right tackle position in the NFL. Whitworth projects as a second or third round prospect in the 2006 class.

Thanks for the Whitworth scouting report. They sound very similar.

Many posters pointing to him being a Snead pick, This is a Rams organizational pick that has as you stated, the Kromer approval stamp on it. I bet Kromer had a big influence in making the pick. Certainly not a reach pick. Looks like great value for a late third round pick.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
All right, now I know I gave Jared Thomas Goff a hard time and I realize I'm hard on the Millennial generation even though I have created two of them, but not a fan of the response "For Sure." And Noteboom is an academic all american, however, needs to brush up on his King's Speech, but I did like seeing OL Coach Aaron Kromer getting a change to converse with his new project.