With pick #89 in the NFL draft the Rams select Joseph Noteboom OT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/joseph-noteboom?id=32462018-0002-5598-41da-500c69ebbff9

images

Noteboom was a lean and athletic honorable mention all-state pick from Plano, Texas before signing on with the Horned Frogs. The three-time All-Academic Big 12 pick has not missed a game since redshirting the 2013 season. He played as a reserve in 2014, then took over the right tackle spot for all 13 games as a sophomore. Noteboom moved to the blind side for 2016, starting every game and showing agility in pass protection that NFL scouts admire at the position despite growing into his frame. Big 12 coaches voted him honorable mention all-conference as a senior, as he started all 14 games at the left tackle spot.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 2-3
Overview
Noteboom flashes the technique, hand usage, and athleticism you want out of the position but he doesn't do those things with enough consistency. His inability to gain and secure positioning as a move blocker is a concern as is his consistency as a finisher in running game. Noteboom was one of the tackles who flashed at the Senior Bowl in one-on-one drills and had a great workout at the Combine. The tape says day three, but his work during the "draft season" should get him drafted on the second day with a chance to become an early NFL starter.
Strengths
  • Has an NFL frame with room to pile on more muscle
  • Has adequate dip and scoop hip flexion to create leverage as a drive blocker
  • Does a good job of working hip-to-hip on double-team blocks
  • Hand strength is solid
  • Can latch onto defender's jersey with his hands to help him ride out the block
  • Runs feet under initial contact for improved sustain as run blocker
  • Comfortable quick-setting on top of edge rushers
  • Shows ability to hasten pass slide rather than using cross-over footwork to catch rushers at the top of the arc
  • Can pass set with good posture when he wants to
  • Good athlete in space
  • Leads the charge when asked to pull and is comfortable handling screen blocking duties
Weaknesses
  • Prolonged tape work offers plenty of inconsistencies in performance
  • Technique slips when matched against power
  • Will lean and engulf with wide hands in pass pro
  • Rushers who ramp up speed-to-power are a problem for him
  • Wide hands open his frame to stab moves that walk him into quarterback's face
  • Fails to gain early ground in kick-slides
  • Opens outside hip early in pass sets giving rushers a much softer edge to attack
  • Needs to play with faster hands and a more efficient punch
  • Takes inefficient paths to easy wall-off blocks allowing defensive ends to slide inside his block
  • Inconsistent getting to his lateral blocks
Sources Tell Us

"I was disappointed when I finally sat down and studied him. I couldn't find that one thing that I really loved about him and he looked a lot smaller than his listed weight when I watched the tape. I think he has a lot of work to do." - NFL offensive line consultant

WestCoastRam

Legend
At bare minimum, we plugged (I won't say "took care of") a glaring hole at backup/swing tackle. But really, that's the best I can say about it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Interesting pick. We did need a backup left tackle, and he's very much a ball of clay that can be molded by Kromer.

I'm okay with this pick.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams must believe he has the chance to develop into a starter with time.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I think even more so it means we like the edge rushers in the 4th. Wouldn't be surprised if Les trades back into the 3rd.

Solid pick here. Very athletic tackle that needs to focus on his technique. Should develop nicely working with Kromer & Big Whit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the pick a lot. Think I had him mocked to the Rams in one of mine and in the ROD mock I took him for the Bears.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
28 starts at LT. good size Rams must think they can get LB, edge depth later. Nee a depth LT now and he was there.

HellRam

Starter
Well I already like this draft pick more then the Greg Robinson pick. :cautious:

I'm cool with the pick. Nothing to get excited about. But this Notebloom guy defitnely looks like a true LT.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
All the negatives written about this guy is correctable with good coaching. Sitting behind Whitworth is just what he needs and is insurance for the Rams at LT. 6'5" 320 with room to put on more muscle? Can't argue with the pick at 89.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Noteboom (6’5/309) made 40 career starts for the Horned Frogs – 29 at left tackle and 11 on the right side -- only earning honorable mention All-Big 12 as a senior but capitalizing on an invite to January’s Senior Bowl, where he excelled in one-on-one drills to earn notice from scouts. Noteboom tested as a respectable 38th-percentile athlete at the Combine and ran a sub-five-second forty (4.96), also measuring in with long (34 3/8") arms. Noteboom’s college tape screams project, but he’s a decent one based on length and movement ability. Apr 27 - 10:24 PM

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Hopefully Big Whit can last 2 more years and then Noteboom takes over after 2 offseason of weight room and coaching.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He should be respectable as a swing tackle by the beginning of the season. Give him a year in a NFL weight room to add strength, give him quality Kromer coaching, and he could be the starting RT next year if Havenstein goes elsewhere, and be the LT the year after. Not the exciting pick that many wanted, but frankly the Rams got a lot of exciting players this offseason - they need to get some meat and potatoes players too.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
This will be a solid pick IMO. Kromer will get the most out of this guy and he can learn how to be a pro and work hard learning from Whit. Welcome BOOM!

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
We definitely needed OT depth... This is an academic all American....a senior..... I like the pick. We were fortunate to start the same OL all season last year....and with Whit, we need some young depth