With pick #89 in the NFL draft the Rams select Joseph Noteboom OT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Like many have said ... not a flashy pick, but it does fill a need and that is what these mid-late Rd picks do is help secure depth. his scouting reports are not "terrible". Everything seems to be coachable and he seems pretty smart. Kromer will mold him into at the very least a decent player

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since multiple reports had him graded as 2nd-3rd round, I don't see him as a reach, or as being a case of the Rams trying to be the smartest guy in the room. I see him as somebody Kromer liked, and who fills a need this year most likely and should grow into a starter soon.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since multiple reports had him graded as 2nd-3rd round, I don't see him as a reach, or as being a case of the Rams trying to be the smartest guy in the room. I see him as somebody Kromer liked, and who fills a need this year most likely and should grow into a starter soon.
People are calling him a reach not because of his abilities or what he needs to work on. But because they didn't think we'd go OT in the 3rd and they don't know who he is.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
One thing I know for sure is that Snead is exuding the same symptoms as -Ex-Partner In Crime Jeff Fisher-
a case of “the smartest guy in the room” syndrome.Notebook=Bad overreach by Snead-Rams.
So the only thing you know for sure is to bash on Fisher long after he's left the team?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
We know this man likes more better OLine in front of him.

View: https://twitter.com/TG3II/status/990060498962952192

I laughed when I saw this because all this time WE have been going back and forth about OUR preferences.
...but when you're the star RB, you GOTTA be happy when the first pick your team makes is a 300lb+ OL!

I wanted a tackle at #87, and the Rams got one at #89.
I'll trust the FO got a good one until I see different. They've earned that much.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
reminds me of the Havenstien pick, I thought WTF of the pick. Lots of simalarities. Lots of starts in college, good acedemics, Big and strong, nothing flashy. Boom will need more time to get NFL ready, Safe pick IMHO

My thoughts exactly as well, but once I saw all the starts, I remember how important that was when Havs was picked. It means experienced and healthy.

Needs to finish blocks better as well, but dude has left side potential.

I trust Kromer and Whit to help him out.

I still wouldn't mind Crosby if he is there. Need O-line depth in a bad way that some don't realize with age and upcoming contracts.

Agree. I was surprised to see that Crosby is still on the board. There are some who think he might move inside to guard at this level and we have 2 Guards headed for FA, so...
Wouldn't THAT set us up for the future?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All the negatives written about this guy is correctable with good coaching. Sitting behind Whitworth is just what he needs and is insurance for the Rams at LT. 6'5" 320 with room to put on more muscle? Can't argue with the pick at 89.

AND...elite feet.

That's no small thing.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I dunno man, not going to find many polished and pro-ready players in the 3rd round as it is?
Yeah that's kind of my point.

It reminds me of these teams that keep drafting 3rd and 4th round quarterbacks thinking they can develop them into a starter.
But it rarely rarely happens.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Feet (kick-slide), and hand placement are two of the hardest things to teach a LT. Boom seems to have both already.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah that's kind of my point.

It reminds me of these teams that keep drafting 3rd and 4th round quarterbacks thinking they can develop them into a starter.
But it rarely rarely happens.
Though the Rams did have 2 third round picks and both were great and major contributors. Yet our 2nd round pick was a project.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm imagining a scenario where this team is relying on Cornelius Lucas to save the day in a pinch.....
Right.
I'm imagining a scenario where this team is relying on a rookie LT to save the day in a pinch.....

And I'm scared, very scared.

Lucas has seven starts under his belt and is not a rookie and he does have prototypical size unlike our 6'5 draft pick.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are referring to O lineman I assume?
I was referencing last years draft and forgot to include that part while watching a pick announced sorry. Last year our 2nd round pick was a project and still is. Yet the two 3rd round picks were contributors one from day one the other took a starting job in what week 4 or 5?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Feet (kick-slide), and hand placement are two of the hardest things to teach a LT. Boom seems to have both already.
Not according to Lance Zierlien's analysis;
He lists these weaknesses;
Wide hands open his frame to stab moves the walk him into quarterbacks face.
Fails to gain early ground in kick slide.
Needs to play with faster hands.

That's just one man's analysis however.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Most draft profiles had him as a 2nd or 3rd round grade so taking him late in the 3rd is a reach?
No not what I said at all. Please go back read the quoted and what I said in context I was agreeing and saying those who claim this is a reach don't really know what a reach is

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Just search for Andrew Whitworth’s pre draft scouting reports. There are many that critiqued him.

Not suggesting Noteboom will develop like Whitworth, but he had some developing to do as well when selected.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/andrew_whitworth.html

Whitworth has the tendency to stand tall at times, and is vulnerable to double moves by defensive ends. He does not adjust very well to counter moves. He is more of a jack of all trades type, and does not dominate in any one area. He’s not the stud athlete to be a standout left tackle, and isn’t as strong as you typically want your right tackle to be.

In a deep tackle class, Whitworth is up near the top. He projects very well as a left tackle, but does not have the upside other tackles may have. He’s as experienced and as durable a lineman as you will find and that will endear him to a lot of teams. He looks like a solid second round selection.

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/9218

However, Whitworth is not a great athlete and he does not possess explosive qualities. In fact, he's a bit of an overachiever. He lacks great range as a run blocker and he will struggle versus elite edge rushers in the NFL. He played his entire collegiate career at left tackle but is clearly a better fit at the right tackle position in the NFL. Whitworth projects as a second or third round prospect in the 2006 class.

So.... we drafted the next Whit?

Cool.