Will the Cleveland Browns Give Up Three First Round Picks to Land Johnny Manziel?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Agamemnon

Rookie
Will the Cleveland Browns Give Up Three First Round Picks to Land Johnny Manziel?

By Zac Wassink January 14, 2014 3:05 PM
COMMENTARY | Three first round picks. That could prove to be the asking price that must be met for the Cleveland Browns to draft what will hopefully be a franchise quarterback.

Browns beat reporter Tony Grossi and Peter King of Sports Illustrated both appeared on ESPN Cleveland during the Tuesday morning edition of The Really Big Show. What started out as a discussion about who may or may not be the next head coach of the Browns turned into a look ahead at the 2014 NFL Draft.

Two things remain true throughout January: The Browns have failed to land a top-tier starting quarterback since returning to the league in 1999, and two clubs in need of a QB hold first round draft picks higher than that of Cleveland's.

Sitting at the No. 1 spot of the upcoming draft are the Houston Texans, while the Jacksonville Jaguars possess the third selection. The St. Louis Rams, in between the Texans and the Jaguars in the draft order, have maybe the most power of any of the four clubs in question.

St. Louis has the option of selecting either defensive end Jadeveon Clowney or offensive tackle Jake Matthews, both believed by many to be can't-miss picks. The Rams could also sell the No. 2 selection to the highest bidder, maybe to a team who would want to leapfrog both Jacksonville and Cleveland in order to take a quarterback.

No other QB has, as of now, broken into the top group of to-be rookies filled by Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater. Grossi, King, and also Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports are all claiming that the Cleveland front office is high on Manziel. King first reported back in September that the Browns had become smitten with the Texas A&M star commonly known as Johnny Football.

The Browns' brass may find themselves confronted with a difficult question in early March before the official start of free agency: Just how much do they love Manziel? The ESPN Cleveland panel, as well as other knowledgeable individuals around the league, believe that the club would have to part with at least three first round picks in order to move up to either one or two (depending on what Houston is thinking) in the draft.

That asking price isn't quite as steep for Cleveland as it looks on paper. The Browns hold two first round picks in the upcoming draft - theirs and that which belonged to the Indianapolis Colts (26) - due to trading running back Trent Richardson to Indy back in September. Pulling out of the first round of next year's draft and also throwing in some second and third day selections in order to move up and get the quarterback Cleveland fans have been dreaming of for roughly 15 years should not be out of the question.

On the contrary, the team may have no other choice but to do just that.

The Browns has a solid young foundation on both sides of the football. Stockpiling on draft picks is not in the best interests of a team that hasn't won more than five games since 2007, and one that hasn't played in a single playoff game in over a decade. The time for Cleveland to go all-in on a rookie quarterback is now, but only if those in charge of the franchise are positive that a savior will be on the board in May.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clevel...00471--nfl.html;_ylt=AwrBEiKARflSdh8ALabQtDMD

Last edited by a moderator:

iced

depends on how the coaches feel about their current guy, hoyer...of course how can cleveland forget the backlash and the scrutiny for not making the RG3 Trade.

tonyl711

Starter
both firsts this year plus next years first, I would jump on that, still have the number 4, 13 and 26 this year, Snead would be doing more trading im sure.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
both firsts this year plus next years first, I would jump on that, still have the number 4, 13 and 26 this year, Snead would be doing more trading im sure.

Can you imagine if they got that, or more, what fans in WASH will be thinking........oh man the media will be sharpening their fangs.

tonyl711

Starter
Can you imagine if they got that, or more, what fans in WASH will be thinking........oh man the media will be sharpening their fangs.
they would go nuts, that would make 5 first rounders we got just because of that trade and who knows how many 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th 6th and 7th round picks. would truelly be the gift that keeps on giving.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

By Zac Wassink January 14, 2014 3:05 PM
COMMENTARY | Three first round picks. That could prove to be the asking price that must be met for the Cleveland Browns to draft what will hopefully be a franchise quarterback.

Related Stories
Browns beat reporter Tony Grossi and Peter King of Sports Illustrated both appeared on ESPN Cleveland during the Tuesday morning edition of The Really Big Show. What started out as a discussion about who may or may not be the next head coach of the Browns turned into a look ahead at the 2014 NFL Draft.

Two things remain true throughout January: The Browns have failed to land a top-tier starting quarterback since returning to the league in 1999, and two clubs in need of a QB hold first round draft picks higher than that of Cleveland's.

Sitting at the No. 1 spot of the upcoming draft are the Houston Texans, while the Jacksonville Jaguars possess the third selection. The St. Louis Rams, in between the Texans and the Jaguars in the draft order, have maybe the most power of any of the four clubs in question.

St. Louis has the option of selecting either defensive end Jadeveon Clowney or offensive tackle Jake Matthews, both believed by many to be can't-miss picks. The Rams could also sell the No. 2 selection to the highest bidder, maybe to a team who would want to leapfrog both Jacksonville and Cleveland in order to take a quarterback.

No other QB has, as of now, broken into the top group of to-be rookies filled by Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater. Grossi, King, and also Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports are all claiming that the Cleveland front office is high on Manziel. King first reported back in September that the Browns had become smitten with the Texas A&M star commonly known as Johnny Football.

The Browns' brass may find themselves confronted with a difficult question in early March before the official start of free agency: Just how much do they love Manziel? The ESPN Cleveland panel, as well as other knowledgeable individuals around the league, believe that the club would have to part with at least three first round picks in order to move up to either one or two (depending on what Houston is thinking) in the draft.

That asking price isn't quite as steep for Cleveland as it looks on paper. The Browns hold two first round picks in the upcoming draft - theirs and that which belonged to the Indianapolis Colts (26) - due to trading running back Trent Richardson to Indy back in September. Pulling out of the first round of next year's draft and also throwing in some second and third day selections in order to move up and get the quarterback Cleveland fans have been dreaming of for roughly 15 years should not be out of the question.

On the contrary, the team may have no other choice but to do just that.

The Browns has a solid young foundation on both sides of the football. Stockpiling on draft picks is not in the best interests of a team that hasn't won more than five games since 2007, and one that hasn't played in a single playoff game in over a decade. The time for Cleveland to go all-in on a rookie quarterback is now, but only if those in charge of the franchise are positive that a savior will be on the board in May.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clevel...00471--nfl.html;_ylt=AwrBEiKARflSdh8ALabQtDMD

This please, please........pretty please.

tonyl711

Starter
gotta disagree, I can see a couple teams in the race for a QB, plus some teams might want it to take Clowney.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered. Offer me your first #4 and your scond rd pick and your first next year and I take it right now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I sure hope someone comes calling that's motivated like that!

Woot!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
To move up two spots? Now way. We'll be fortunate to get two #1's and a second next year.

RamEERS

Pastor
cleveland will always suck and manziel isn't a sure thing either.... we'll be rolling in the top 10 for a long time

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered. Offer me your first #4 and your scond rd pick and your first next year and I take it right now.

Yep. That sounds more realistic. Hope were wrong though!

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I just don't see them gifting us three first round picks. If two teams offer two first round selections, it would be much more likely that they break the tie by throwing in a second or third round pick. Still, the supposed interest in Manziel from Cleveland's front office is definitely a good sign. (y)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I just don't see them gifting us three first round picks. If two teams offer two first round selections, it would be much more likely that they break the tie by throwing in a second or third round pick. Still, the supposed interest in Manziel from Cleveland's front office is definitely a good sign. (y)

Yeah, I don't see 3 first rounders happening. I hope Snead can put that off, but my expectations aren't that high.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm thinkin ONLY Houston would get that RG like deal THEN they might trade back with us to get into the #2 slot to pick Bortles

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm thinkin ONLY Houston would get that RG like deal THEN they might trade back with us to get into the #2 slot to pick Bortles

Maybe, and good point... but that's a risky play with Jax and Minn armed to move up.