Round 3 Pick 69: Cooper Kupp, WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What happened to the good old days when draft picks had their own pressers after the draft?

They need to get back to that. It's always easier to judge a person by listening to them talk, and paying attention to their expressions.

I want the pressers!
Look for that today, I think it was Monday last year when they did that .

Memphis Ram

Legend
A little too busy to get into this discussion but here's the game (or at least some of it) if anyone wants to see it and draw their own conclusions:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/marcus-peters-vs-eastern-washington-2014/

Thanks. Sadly it never occurred to me to search for Peters vs. searching for Kupp videos.:oops:

Unless there were some plays deleted or something, I guess it's safe to say that the myth that Kupp balled out vs. Marcus Peters has officially been debunked.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
One game Mack....One game.
For some reason, Washington has some serious talent up there, but they continually under-perform. But this was ONE game....and it's not as a professional. So really...until I SEE him have a game in the PROS...and he's balling out...I have my doubts he'll be this successful.

Well, using that argument, it's not reasonable to be excited about ANY draft pick because NONE of them have played in the pros and there is never any guarantee of success.

You can do that if you want.

I think it's reasonable to use solid analytical tools to project success with reasonable certainty.

Nothing's absolute. Kupp could be a huge bust. He could become someone in the same conversation as Jerry Rice.

I think based on my evaluation that he'll be much, much closer to Rice than bust.

Of course, we'll see. In the meantime, I'll stand by my eval (and @jrry32 's). Now that he's a Ram, I hope he's the next Ike Bruce!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks. Sadly it never occurred to me to search for Peters vs. searching for Kupp videos.:oops:

Unless there were some plays deleted or something, I guess it's safe to say that the myth that Kupp balled out vs. Marcus Peters has officially been debunked.

There were plays deleted, including his 41 yard TD. I know because I watched the game. You can also see the play on almost every Kupp highlight tape. I'll prove it here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWZLQSBeV40

Go to 1:03. You see #21 (Marcus Peters) and #20 (Kevin King) as Kupp catches his 41 yard TD. Peters had primary coverage on the play. King was the safety.

That means that Kupp had 2 catches for 48 yards and 2 TDs on Peters, 1 catch for 27 yards and 1 TD on Baker, and 1 catch for 12-15 yards on King. That's 4 catches for 87+ yards and 3 TDs against 3 top 40 picks. There might have been more. That's just what I recall.

Memphis Ram

Legend
There were plays deleted, including his 41 yard TD. I know because I watched the game. You can also see the play on almost every Kupp highlight tape. I'll prove it here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWZLQSBeV40

Go to 1:03. You see #21 (Marcus Peters) and #20 (Kevin King) as Kupp catches his 41 yard TD. Peters had primary coverage on the play. King was the safety.

That means that Kupp had 2 catches for 48 yards and 2 TDs on Peters, 1 catch for 27 yards and 1 TD on Baker, and 1 catch for 12-15 yards on King. That's 4 catches for 87+ yards and 3 TDs against 3 top 40 picks. There might have been more. That's just what I recall.

Wish I could see where he was lined up and what type of coverage.:(

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Me too. I've tried to find the game to rewatch it, but I haven't been successful. I can't recall with certainty what the coverage was.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This doesn't clear it up, but it does seem to back that Peters was in man coverage:
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/washington-fends-off-eagle-aerial-225616897.html
The Eagles and Vernon Adams Jr. were not going to be held down for long. The first of four go-route touchdowns from Vernon Adams to his receivers went over the head of Marcus Peters. After the play, Peters was seen heated, directing his anger towards sophomore safety Kevin King, who was late in his help over the top, held by a pump fake to the other side of the field by Adams. Peters was burned, and the throw was absolutely perfect to Cooper Kupp.

By the sound of it, King was the single high safety. That would lead me to believe press coverage. This also adds more context:
http://embed.scribblelive.com/Embed/v7.aspx?Id=814017&Page=3&overlay=false

Memphis Ram

Legend
This doesn't clear it up, but it does seem to back that Peters was in man coverage:
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/washington-fends-off-eagle-aerial-225616897.html
The Eagles and Vernon Adams Jr. were not going to be held down for long. The first of four go-route touchdowns from Vernon Adams to his receivers went over the head of Marcus Peters. After the play, Peters was seen heated, directing his anger towards sophomore safety Kevin King, who was late in his help over the top, held by a pump fake to the other side of the field by Adams. Peters was burned, and the throw was absolutely perfect to Cooper Kupp.

By the sound of it, King was the single high safety. That would lead me to believe press coverage. This also adds more context:
http://embed.scribblelive.com/Embed/v7.aspx?Id=814017&Page=3&overlay=false

You're right. It doesn't clear anything up.:(

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Is 23 old or something?
Not really. He will turn 24 during the season. Most players come out of college in to 21-22 yr old range. Some younger, some older. I think Carson Wentz was about the same age as Kupp coming out .. ??

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
one of the greatest athletes in the world is faster Dribbling than running without the ball. ( Lionel Messi Barcelona, and Argentina )
Why? desire, some believe some don't but desire and hard work trump talent unless talent and athleticism matches the desire and hard work. Kupp will be fine you do not pass up great players based on The Pajama Olympics results

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Not really. He will turn 24 during the season. Most players come out of college in to 21-22 yr old range. Some younger, some older. I think Carson Wentz was about the same age as Kupp coming out .. ??
True. How old was Warner? 27?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz is 6 months older than Kupp and came out a year earlier so it's very similar.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
One game Mack....One game.
For some reason, Washington has some serious talent up there, but they continually under-perform. But this was ONE game....and it's not as a professional. So really...until I SEE him have a game in the PROS...and he's balling out...I have my doubts he'll be this successful.

Here and TST it sounds like you're mad because we didn't pick your players. You have this constant hatred for Kupp... what should we have done, Champ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There was one old guy that I wanted when he was 24 back in 2012. I was told that he was too old at the time, and so he dropped into the 3rd round in the 2012 Draft. Russell Wilson turned out pretty good...:redcard: (red flagged myself)

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
......he plays faster than he times in a 40.

Kupp caught a lot of attention in Alabama with his speed. He may have run just a 4.62-second forty at the combine, but he was clocked at a hair under 21 mph at the Senior Bowl with wearable GPS technology.

Kupp was among the fastest players recorded in Mobile which helped earn him a private workout with the Rams.

Reese's Senior Bowl ✔ @seniorbowl
EWU receiver Cooper Kupp has been the fastest player for the North Team (20.7 mph max velocity) via @CatapultSports and @RosterWatch

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/29/los-angeles-rams-senior-bowl-nfl-draft-selections/

Is that against a defender? Maybe they just need a rabbit similar to dog races in the 40 time!

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Is that against a defender? Maybe they just need a rabbit similar to dog races in the 40 time!
Game speed>underwear speed. I guarantee you ...if some one is chasing my ass, I'm gonna run a hella lot faster than if I was running just to run!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here and TST it sounds like you're mad because we didn't pick your players. You have this constant hatred for Kupp... what should we have done, Champ?

Champ doesn't have a hatred of Kupp. He actually has said he thinks he's a solid player. Champ believes very strongly in measurables. He's a big SPARQ guy (maybe not literally, but what SPARQ represents at least). Champ is simply sticking to his guns. I don't begrudge him for it. I also won't begrudge him for being happy when he's wrong about Kupp. ;)

TexasRam

Legend
@3:58 defender is like "where the ball". Then realizes it's in Kupp's hands for a TD. LOL

This Kupp dude has a nasty effective straight arm.