Round 3 Pick 69: Cooper Kupp, WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Here and TST it sounds like you're mad because we didn't pick your players. You have this constant hatred for Kupp... what should we have done, Champ?
Nope....that's not it at all....better players there....and we have similar guys on our roster....one is Woods...the other is Cooper....and I'd guess Spruuuuuce could also do the same things...
I wouldn't be mad at "not picking MY players".....I just want a winning season...don't even want playoffs...just more than 8 wins.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
There were plays deleted, including his 41 yard TD. I know because I watched the game. You can also see the play on almost every Kupp highlight tape. I'll prove it here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWZLQSBeV40

Go to 1:03. You see #21 (Marcus Peters) and #20 (Kevin King) as Kupp catches his 41 yard TD. Peters had primary coverage on the play. King was the safety.

That means that Kupp had 2 catches for 48 yards and 2 TDs on Peters, 1 catch for 27 yards and 1 TD on Baker, and 1 catch for 12-15 yards on King. That's 4 catches for 87+ yards and 3 TDs against 3 top 40 picks. There might have been more. That's just what I recall.

Love that play at 2:04 ! Kupps toughness and effort really on display

Ramification

Happy at the Coliseum again
Nope....that's not it at all....better players there....and we have similar guys on our roster....one is Woods...the other is Cooper....and I'd guess Spruuuuuce could also do the same things...
I wouldn't be mad at "not picking MY players".....I just want a winning season...don't even want playoffs...just more than 8 wins.

Wow...Champ and I actually agree on something pertaining to WRs. Hell<32F.

Actually I think we agree less on WRs and more on the best use of draft picks. We spent 3rd round draft capital on Kupp and will pay 3rd round money for very little gain over what we already have. There were better personnel gains to be had with that pick.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

Hey Champ,

Thanks for the reply. Did you like JuJu over Kupp? Who did you like more?

I liked Engram over Everett until I read more on Everett

I liked JuJu/Godwin over Kupp, until I really started putting in effort to breakdown Kupp's game.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow...Champ and I actually agree on something pertaining to WRs. Hell<32F.

Actually I think we agree less on WRs and more on the best use of draft picks. We spent 3rd round draft capital on Kupp and will pay 3rd round money for very little gain over what we already have. There were better personnel gains to be had with that pick.
Ooooooooohhh be careful with agreeing with him! It's been known to cause people to reassess their lives and on occasion start drinking really bad beer and smoke cheap cigars!

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Ooooooooohhh be careful with agreeing with him! It's been known to cause people to reassess their lives and on occasion start drinking really bad beer and smoke cheap cigars!

Mmmmmmm.... Give me:

Chimay Blue or Franziskaner

with a nice Maduro wrapped cigar... La Historia by E.P. Carillo ... and my night is SET!

WvuIN02

Starter
Hey Champ,

Thanks for the reply. Did you like JuJu over Kupp? Who did you like more?

I liked Engram over Everett until I read more on Everett

I liked JuJu/Godwin over Kupp, until I really started putting in effort to breakdown Kupp's game.
I think JuJu is going to be the best receiver from this draft. I was screaming for them to pick JuJu when they took Everett, because Higbee is already there for one, and JuJu could take over the X and Kupp could be the Y with Austin at Z. I had JuJu at 1 and Kupp at 2. I guess they are hoping Josh Reynolds pans out for that? With Woods already on the roster, it just really made sense to me anyways.

The Steelers did not even have a glaring need at receiver but mentioned multiple times JuJu's game is so much like Hines Ward that Colbert and Tomlin had to draft him. How many WRs LOVE to block? Some might say they do, but JuJu is nasty and gets after people. Would have been awesome for Gurley and the run game, a good blocking wr is the difference between an 8 yard run versus a 50 yard touchdown at times. That's not even touching on his alpha personality (reminds me of Dez) where he gets after it and is very physical and big target in the red zone.

And I always take note of their WR draft picks. I'm not sure there is even an NFL team that is a close second to the Steelers in the past 20 years evaluating wr talent and finding pro bowler after pro bowler. Hines Ward, Burress, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Emmanuel Sanders, the list goes on and on. Limas Sweed is the only one I can think of that they missed on big really. Their scouting department has an uncanny knack of not only finding good receivers but finding them in later rounds too. That said, I love Kupp also, but man they would have made a fantastic pairing together.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think JuJu is going to be the best receiver from this draft. I was screaming for them to pick JuJu when they took Everett, because Higbee is already there for one, and JuJu could take over the X and Kupp could be the Y with Austin at Z. I had JuJu at 1 and Kupp at 2. I guess they are hoping Josh Reynolds pans out for that? With Woods already on the roster, it just really made sense to me anyways.

The Steelers did not even have a glaring need at receiver but mentioned multiple times JuJu's game is so much like Hines Ward that Colbert and Tomlin had to draft him. How many WRs LOVE to block? Some might say they do, but JuJu is nasty and gets after people. Would have been awesome for Gurley and the run game, a good blocking wr is the difference between an 8 yard run versus a 50 yard touchdown at times. That's not even touching on his alpha personality (reminds me of Dez) where he gets after it and is very physical and big target in the red zone.

And I always take note of their WR draft picks. I'm not sure there is even an NFL team that is a close second to the Steelers in the past 20 years evaluating wr talent and finding pro bowler after pro bowler. Hines Ward, Burress, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Emmanuel Sanders, the list goes on and on. Limas Sweed is the only one I can think of that they missed on big really. Their scouting department has an uncanny knack of not only finding good receivers but finding them in later rounds too. That said, I love Kupp also, but man they would have made a fantastic pairing together.

So is that your biggest hang up? Everett over JuJu? Hasn't JuJu had his fair share of injuries? How high is his ceiling? I think he reached it. Snead and McVay's might have forced a pick for need, or they didn't see another tight end that could play the position the way McVay's requires. I have to trust them on this one. He knows what he wants. I think JuJu is a possession receiver. So is Kupp. Is there really any drop off then? My receiver preference was Godwin, Kupp, Jones, JuJu. I don't think they got it wrong. Kupp is going to be great. And having Spruce along with Kupp is not a problem. New England has 3-4 of that style receiver. If they run good routes, can catch the ball and get open, then what more do you need. Maybe if Kupp played for Bama or USC it would make people feel better. The only negative that I see with Everett is hand size. Reynolds has a high ceiling. Snead saw something in Johnson that makes him think he can do more than what he did in college and if Phillips put his seal of approval on the pick...it's even better.

I think most of these guys stick on the roster. They should based on receiving needs and changing the defense. We will see guys like Fox and some of the DBs moving on in favor if the better scheme fits.

WvuIN02

Starter
So is that your biggest hang up? Everett over JuJu? Hasn't JuJu had his fair share of injuries? How high is his ceiling? I think he reached it. Snead and McVay's might have forced a pick for need, or they didn't see another tight end that could play the position the way McVay's requires. I have to trust them on this one. He knows what he wants. I think JuJu is a possession receiver. So is Kupp. Is there really any drop off then? My receiver preference was Godwin, Kupp, Jones, JuJu. I don't think they got it wrong. Kupp is going to be great. And having Spruce along with Kupp is not a problem. New England has 3-4 of that style receiver. If they run good routes, can catch the ball and get open, then what more do you need. Maybe if Kupp played for Bama or USC it would make people feel better. The only negative that I see with Everett is hand size. Reynolds has a high ceiling. Snead saw something in Johnson that makes him think he can do more than what he did in college and if Phillips put his seal of approval on the pick...it's even better.

I think most of these guys stick on the roster. They should based on receiving needs and changing the defense. We will see guys like Fox and some of the DBs moving on in favor if the better scheme fits.
JuJu has had some injuries, but its in part because hes a physical player and takes pride in his craft at blocking. He also played in games hurt, ie, with a broken hand so hes damn tough. I just think hes going to be special in the pros. Hes big and plenty fast enough for the NFL, and he brings a toughness the Rams have lacked since the gsot days for receivers.

I would have been happy with Godwin as well, was a big fan of his also. Keep in mind I love Kupp's game, I just think JuJu will be special in the pros because on top of the physical traits hes got that alpha dog mentality of a #1 wide receiver and he is a clone of Hines Ward. Again, not a knock on Kupp or Everett, I just think JuJu is pro bowl type of talent and the Steelers can sniff that out like none other. I see him having a huge year for a rookie in Pittsburgh this season, and their offense is going to be scary with him and Bryant back from suspension.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Did you like JuJu over Kupp? Who did you like more?
Not really....but I don't like that the Steelers think they see something in him...They're very good at evaluating receivers. We went TE, WR, then Safety....I think we shoulda tried Safety or WR....then TE....did you see the TE's that went in the 5th? And I don't wanna here how Everett is better than Jake Butt...or Hodges....or that TE outta Tennessee. Get a real impact WR or Safety....

As to your question....I don't think JuJu is one of the top wrs outta SC in the last few years...and they haven't done too well in the pros...If we had to get an option, I'm sure Engram was the target...I'd be OK with him....if we had to get a wr...I'd rather have Zay or Goodwin....so, only those 3....we coulda got a better safety in the 2nd...and comparable receiver targets with the other 3rd round picks

It's been known to cause people to reassess their lives and on occasion start drinking really bad beer and smoke cheap cigars!
oh you mean beer like this
giphy.gif

and cigars like these
giphy.gif

Martha & Cube love my ideas:sneaky::shades::party:

Maybe if Kupp played for Bama or USC it would make people feel better.
If he played for Bama or USC, he'd run a 4.4 or 4.5 and, yeah...I'D feel a hell of a lot better....

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really....but I don't like that the Steelers think they see something in him...They're very good at evaluating receivers. We went TE, WR, then Safety....I think we shoulda tried Safety or WR....then TE....did you see the TE's that went in the 5th? And I don't wanna here how Everett is better than Jake Butt...or Hodges....or that TE outta Tennessee. Get a real impact WR or Safety....

As to your question....I don't think JuJu is one of the top wrs outta SC in the last few years...and they haven't done too well in the pros...If we had to get an option, I'm sure Engram was the target...I'd be OK with him....if we had to get a wr...I'd rather have Zay or Goodwin....so, only those 3....we coulda got a better safety in the 2nd...and comparable receiver targets with the other 3rd round picks

oh you mean beer like this
giphy.gif

and cigars like these
giphy.gif

Martha & Cube love my ideas:sneaky::shades::party:

If he played for Bama or USC, he'd run a 4.4 or 4.5 and, yeah...I'D feel a hell of a lot better....
What's humorous is Kupp was clocked running faster than anybody else during the senior bowl in the actual game during play. Yet guys that ran faster in their underwear are supposedly better prospects even though they didn't run faster in actual game play.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
What's humorous is Kupp was clocked running faster than anybody else during the senior bowl in the actual game during play. Yet guys that ran faster in their underwear are supposedly better prospects even though they didn't run faster in actual game play.
Correct. He hit 21 miles an hour which is faster than any other player at the Senior Bowl.

I can't believe people are freaking out over a .1 of a second when route-running, juke ability, leaping ability, hands and desire trump one tenth of a second.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What's humorous is Kupp was clocked running faster than anybody else during the senior bowl in the actual game during play.
Correct. He hit 21 miles an hour which is faster than any other player at the Senior Bowl.
That Sports Science stuff looks like new school voodoo...LOL I have my doubts...

I was driving yesterday....actually by the new stadium dig...thinking about this....about ole school...and jrry....and Cooper Kupp... I have a real feeling this guy has woken up Cooper, Austin, and Spruuuuuce. I really think, especially Spruuuce, will not let this guy beat them out of play time. They have one year in....Cooper & Spruce....and they see this hotshot rookie. And he's here to all these accolades....I mean, he's got his own segment on NFLN every week....I just don't think they're gonna let him waltz in and out-compete them for targets & playing time.

Also...I'm not freaking out... On another thread we're debating why didn't Lamp get targeted? I still say....Kupp, Jones, JuJu....all of them...are basically the same player...Everett...just a big wr....then we grab a safety that I don't see EVER starting....I'm hoping it works out...but the players that went in the 3rd and 4th rounds seemed comparable....and we could have added a strong lineman that may be used all over the line...and be the backup to center...

Kupp looks like a nice pro...a #2 wr....hell, he scored 70 tds....so I don't dislike the player...it's the value of the things we gave up that worries me.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
That Sports Science stuff looks like new school voodoo...LOL I have my doubts...

Agreed. Sports Science made Mardy Gilyard look like the next coming of Isaac Bruce, but... well...he's been upgraded to Arena Football star after failing to display his science metrics on the field

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol how fast somebody ran in pads during a game is sports science garbage. But how fast somebody running in their underwear with nobody around to hit them is a true test of football skills. Keep making us like Kupp more guys!

jap

Legend

Hence, why I see the Combine as a folly of track & field events rather than football-based exhibition.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Lol how fast somebody ran in pads during a game is sports science garbage. But how fast somebody running in their underwear with nobody around to hit them is a true test of football skills. Keep making us like Kupp more guys!
Great point!!!

You know the biggest reason I like Kupp? (because I semi-ignored reading any college evaluations of wide receivers)

When is the last time you saw a WR drafted where Pro Bowl safeties and All Pro Wide receivers felt the need to express to the Press and public how much of a steal he was and how good he's going to be.

Weird but it means something!

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Champ doesn't have a hatred of Kupp. He actually has said he thinks he's a solid player. Champ believes very strongly in measurables. He's a big SPARQ guy (maybe not literally, but what SPARQ represents at least). Champ is simply sticking to his guns. I don't begrudge him for it. I also won't begrudge him for being happy when he's wrong about Kupp. ;)

SPARQ is a decent tool but some people put way too much into believing it can predict how good a football player is. Just a look at 2016 top 10 SPARQ WRs says alot. Heres some noticeable rankings.2 out of the top 10 actually contributed to there teams and 1 (Doctson) was injured. Even if you look back in 2015 you have Amari Cooper at 34th , Jamison Crowder at 101, and Tyler Lockett at 80th lol.

1. Moeritz Boehringer - Never played
2. Tyreke Hill - Stud
3. Andy Jones- Who?
4. Jairockeis Jones- lol?
5. Justin Berger - Is this guy even on a roster?
6. Josh Doctson - Injured and could still be good
7. Corey Coleman- Showed flashes of being a good player
8. Devon Cajuste- Another who?
9. Ricardo Louis- Never did much but he did have a few catches for Browns
10. Marvin Hall- ????

Noticeable Ranks:
20. Michael Thomas- 1000+ yard WR
24. Sterling Shepard- Played very well for Giants
29. Malcolm Mitchell- Had some nice games for Pats towards end of year
51. Will Fuller- Started well then faded with bad QB play for Texans
87. Tyler Boyd- Had a solid rookie season
133. Nelson Spruce- Just listing him cause he was a fan fav in preseason
134. Tajae Sharpe- Pretty solid for Titans
185. Pharoh Cooper- Made a few plays for us and we expect more from him this year