Round 3 Pick 69: Cooper Kupp, WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Lol how fast somebody ran in pads during a game is sports science garbage. But how fast somebody running in their underwear with nobody around to hit them is a true test of football skills. Keep making us like Kupp more guys!

Tie raw meat strapped to me and in my underwear. And let me run through the lions den of the Serengeti, my speed will probably clock pretty damn fast due to my adrenaline level and knowing I am probably going to die any second.. If full football gear was mandatory to wear during workouts it would be more legitimate. The exception of the bench press..

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If I ever run into Old School we wouldn't get much accomplished.

We would be too busy high-fiving each other all day.

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
Give them some years....or rather...lets check Sparq of say.....2013....

I couldnt find info on 2013 but heres 2014 WR ranks:

1. Allen Robinson- Very good WR/Pro Bowl talent
2. Nathan Slaughter- Nobody
3. Tyler Huber- Nobody
4. Jeff Janis- Back end GB WR probably on the roster bubble to this point and hasnt done much
5. Donte Moncrief- Good player for Colts
6. Taylor Martinez- Nope
7. Cody Latimer- Still hasnt developed into much
8. Rashad Lawrence- Nope
9. Bennie Fowler- Back end DEN WR hasnt done much
10. Bruce Ellington- Back end SF WR who also hasnt done much

More Noteables:
11. Brandin Cooks- Very good WR/Pro Bowl talent
13. Odell Beckham- One of the best WRs in football
. Martavis Bryant- Very good vertical threat when hes on the field/Decent player
28. Davante Adams- Decent WR
36. Taylor Gabriel- Decent WR
39. Jordan Matthews- Decent WR
41. Mike Evans- One of the best WRs in football
53. Sammy Watkins- One of the best deep threats in NFL/Good player
74. John Brown- Decent WR
128. Kelvin Benjamin- Decent WR
248. Jarvis Landry- Very good WR

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

3. Tyler Huber- Nobody
4. Jeff Janis- Back end GB WR probably on the roster bubble to this point and hasnt done much
6. Taylor Martinez- Nope
8. Rashad Lawrence- Nope

More Noteables:
11. Brandin Cooks- Very good WR/Pro Bowl talent
13. Odell Beckham- One of the best WRs in football
. Martavis Bryant- Very good vertical threat when hes on the field/Decent player
28. Davante Adams- Decent WR
36. Taylor Gabriel- Decent WR
39. Jordan Matthews- Decent WR
41. Mike Evans- One of the best WRs in football
53. Sammy Watkins- One of the best deep threats in NFL/Good player
74. John Brown- Decent WR
128. Kelvin Benjamin- Decent WR
248. Jarvis Landry- Very good WR

WOW I can see why it's such a valuable metric and all scouts should be using it to judge players. :D The better you do it at the less likely you will succeed.

Memphis Ram

Legend

3. Tyler Huber- Nobody
6. Taylor Martinez- Nope
8. Rashad Lawrence- Nope

To be fair:
- Bennie Fowler and Cody Latimer are backups to Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders in Denver.
- Jeff Janis has Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson, and Davante Adams ahead of him.
- Bruce Ellington was slated to be the 49ers starting slot WR in 2016, but tore his hamstring and missed the entire season.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
To be fair:
- Bennie Fowler and Cody Latimer are backups to Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders in Denver.
- Bruce Ellington was slated to be the 49ers starting slot WR in 2016, but tore his hamstring and missed the entire season.
Pack fans have loved Janis for a LONG time.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not really....but I don't like that the Steelers think they see something in him...They're very good at evaluating receivers. We went TE, WR, then Safety....I think we shoulda tried Safety or WR....then TE....did you see the TE's that went in the 5th? And I don't wanna here how Everett is better than Jake Butt...or Hodges....or that TE outta Tennessee. Get a real impact WR or Safety....

As to your question....I don't think JuJu is one of the top wrs outta SC in the last few years...and they haven't done too well in the pros...If we had to get an option, I'm sure Engram was the target...I'd be OK with him....if we had to get a wr...I'd rather have Zay or Goodwin....so, only those 3....we coulda got a better safety in the 2nd...and comparable receiver targets with the other 3rd round picks.

Regarding the order of the players selected, what you don't want to hear seems to be very significant. Apparently McVay's offense requires that TE that is a serious matchup problem for defenses. So he probably is the best fit.

But, I do get not being too thrilled to add a slot guy to a WR room of slot WRs though. Especially since Pharoh Cooper hasn't even had much of a chance yet.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Regarding the order of the players selected, what you don't want to hear seems to be very significant. Apparently McVay's offense requires that TE that is a serious matchup problem for defenses. So he probably is the best fit.

Memphis, have you been tracking Memphis' very own Anthony Miller as a future prospect ? If so, have you an opinion as to being a true #1 WR ?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I liked Zay, not so much Godwin, who I wanted to like. @LACHAMP46 I am guessing that you think, thought, that Higbee/Hemmingway, both of who are still in our plans, IMO, would be good enough. So, the question is, do you not think Reynolds will be our/a deep threat? I know you are OK with Kupp, regarding to where we picked him. Have you watched extensive tape on Everett? What is your take on him?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But, I do get not being too thrilled to add a slot guy to a WR room of slot WRs though. Especially since Pharoh Cooper hasn't even had much of a chance yet.

Sounds like what people say about the Patriots' WRs.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sounds like what people say about the Patriots' WRs.
I can't help, but think the same thing about Kupp. Everyone will say...I hate that guy, why don't we cover him..then in post game, the opposing coach will say, we prepared, and we TRIED to cover him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They'd be screaming it if they didn't have Tom Brady. Plus, if they didn't have a coaching staff who believed that it's only cheating if you get caught.:D

They weren't screaming it when Garoppolo was starting. It's all about how you scheme and use your WRs. I trust that McVay knows what he wants to do with this WRs. (y)

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
To be fair:

-On Fowler and Latimer. Thats pretty fair but the point still stands that neither has done anything thus far. Not even as a 3rd/4th WR. They didnt draft Carlos Henderson for no reason. I doubt they feel those 2 guys will amount to anything. They were both outplayed this year by UDFA Jordan Taylor and Jordan Norwood (a mediocre vet going into his 8th year now). They cant beat out Norwood whos a 8 year veteran with a total of 844 career receiving yards... I mean if you consider Tavon the Rams 3rd WR behind Britt and Quick last year he still put up 500+ yards receiving in a god awful passing attack.

-On Janis. Jordy was hurt for all of 2015 and Janis was nowhere to be seen even though he was being hyped up to step in. He had a chance with GBs best WR out and was never heard from (dude had 2 catches all year). Ive seen rumors about the Packers being close to giving up on him. Im guessing this year is his last chance with them.

On Ellington. He didnt do much his first 2 years healthy even if he was going to start in the slot this past year. But lets be honest the 49ers WR corps was absolutely dreadful last year and made the Rams WR corps look strong. It wasnt much of a accomplishment to start on a team whos #1 WR was Jeremy freaking Kerley lol. They went and signed Garcon and Goodwin along with having Kerley likely because they werent comfortable with what they had. Maybe Ellington works out but I wouldnt hold my breath on it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't feel it's about one guy, but a plan, and I think we nailed that plan. I just have to hope they work out. Now, I am happy at the way we attacked it all. We attacked it like we hated every receiver on this roster. I'm fine with that.