Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Everett is wrong.

Morris is a mediocre DC but he's not an idiot. He has been moving Ramsey around and hiding him and/or trying to prevent him getting hung out to dry by wideouts who can blow by him now. He puts him in situations that favor him, like having an enormous cushion in front of him to avoid being BBQ'd deep. He puts him in the slot to best-use his run game strength and boost the box. Then they call it the "star" position to help Ramsey swallow that shit.

Ironically the Rams are about to cash in on all that if they get good value from Ramsey in trade. I am very hopeful now, given the rumors, that we're about to get a solid pick at least for him and maybe more. If in fact we end up with a high pick for him we can thank Morris.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Everett is wrong.

Morris is a mediocre DC but he's not an idiot. He has been moving Ramsey around and hiding him and/or trying to prevent him getting hung out to dry by wideouts who can blow by him now. He puts him in situations that favor him, like having an enormous cushion in front of him to avoid being BBQ'd deep. He puts him in the slot to best-use his run game strength and boost the box. Then they call it the "star" position to help Ramsey swallow that shit.

Ironically the Rams are about to cash in on all that if they get good value from Ramsey in trade. I am very hopeful now, given the rumors, that we're about to get a solid pick at least for him and maybe more. If in fact we end up with a high pick for him we can thank Morris.
Perhaps he gets beat deep because there's too much damn cushion and the WRs have a 7-8yd head start running forward while Ramsey back pedaling and having to flip his hip.

If they want to use the STAR position correctly, they need to take a damn look at how PHIL PARKER uses the "CASH" position at Iowa. Phil is a REAL DC and DB guru.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perhaps he gets beat deep because there's too much damn cushion and the WRs have a 7-8yd head start running forward while Ramsey back pedaling and having to flip his hip.

If they want to use the STAR position correctly, they need to take a damn look at how PHIL PARKER uses the "CASH" position at Iowa. Phil is a REAL DC and DB guru.
He gets beat deep because he's big and long-legged and his speed has declined. Plus he has always had bad eyes and a tendency to look into the backfield too much, but as you age and the rules change on what you can get away with you need to improve at those things to stay relevant.

It's entirely possible a trade pisses him off and whoever gets him gets a guy who can give them a couple top seasons. But I think that ship has sailed. Ramsey is looking at a safety conversion, which will require failure and his acceptance as well as financial duress to get him sorted on that side, so let him go through that with a lesser team while we go win some rings.

Tano

Legend
Everett is wrong.

I disagree about Everett being wrong because seldom did I see Ramsey get beat when he was playing press man

However, when he did get beat, he got beat when he was playing 7 to 10 yards off.

Ramsey is NOT a 7 to 10 yard guy. He plays his best at being press man to man.

However, I do agree with you that maybe he is starting to slow down which really hurts CBs. I think Ramsey would be an all pro safety like you said. He has really good recovery speed. And he is extremely good at recovering on plays in front of him. And as a free safety, he wouldn't be backing up like he does in Morris scheme as a soft zone CB.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I disagree about Everett being wrong because seldom did I see Ramsey get beat when he was playing press man

However, when he did get beat, he got beat when he was playing 7 to 10 yards off.

However, I do agree with you that maybe he is starting to slow down which really hurts CBs. I think Ramsey would be an all pro safety like you said. He has really good recovery speed. And he is extremely good at recovering on plays in front of him. And as a free safety, he wouldn't be backing up like he does in Morris scheme as a soft zone CB.
Well hey, we're in dire need of new safeties too. So we already have one on the roster! Who would be ELITE.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I think everyone that says Ramsey is declining is wrong. Dude is still a baller. If he gets traded, y'all gonna find out the hard way when real #1 WRs abuse us.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
But I think that ship has sailed. Ramsey is looking at a safety conversion, which will require failure and his acceptance as well as financial duress to get him sorted on that side, so let him go through that with a lesser team while we go win some rings

I wish I could go through the financial duress that he will go through converting to S.

oldnotdead

Legend
It's all about scheme and playing to the roster's strengths. Morris doesn't play to the roster's strengths. If so then explain why Kendrick started over Rochell and Durant? Why did Hill and Long start over Rochell and Durant? Why did Morris play his DBs beyond the first down markers in a super soft zone?

Morris plays his buddies not who is best. He plays hoping for an offensive mistake, not to force an offensive mistake. That's why he will forever be a mediocre (at best) DC. Intellectually he may know a lot but it doesn't seem to translate to his actions as a DC. When he tightened up in the playoffs the defense dominated. Why didn't he play that way all the time? Why did he immediately revert back to his "good enough" soft zone this season? He learned nothing from the playoffs the year before. When a coach doesn't learn from his own mistakes, that is the height of arrogance.

He has zero excuses because the way he played his defense in the playoffs was the way he should play them all the time. The fact that he doesn't is proof of his arrogance. He knows better but he won't act on it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's all about scheme and playing to the roster's strengths. Morris doesn't play to the roster's strengths. If so then explain why Kendrick started over Rochell and Durant? Why did Hill and Long start over Rochell and Durant? Why did Morris play his DBs beyond the first down markers in a super soft zone?

Morris plays his buddies not who is best. He plays hoping for an offensive mistake, not to force an offensive mistake. That's why he will forever be a mediocre (at best) DC. Intellectually he may know a lot but it doesn't seem to translate to his actions as a DC. When he tightened up in the playoffs the defense dominated. Why didn't he play that way all the time? Why did he immediately revert back to his "good enough" soft zone this season? He learned nothing from the playoffs the year before. When a coach doesn't learn from his own mistakes, that is the height of arrogance.

He has zero excuses because the way he played his defense in the playoffs was the way he should play them all the time. The fact that he doesn't is proof of his arrogance. He knows better but he won't act on it.

YOUR SO FULL OF IT!!

2021 he told Ernest Jones to be ready & remember how it feels to be a starter.Said always prepare as a starter.
He survived with Troy Reeder starting at MLB & come the Superbowl it was Ernest Jones who was the starter.

—Jalen Ramsey he ALWAYS kept him in check.He kept the Rapp & Ramsey fight under control & away from the media down playing it. Then he called Eric Weedle & put him in as the starter. In The Superbowl he had him with the Freen Dot.

2022 - who cares.The Rams we’re always competitive,but shutting down AD99 was smart.He got rid of the Edge Rusher(T.Lewis & Hollins) started Hoecht. Earnest Brown will be a player to keep an eye on.
—The Rams bring in new secondary coaches,so keep the pantys out of the sticky part before chit starts up.Those losses late didn’t matter(helped)
& there were a lot of players (young) who got good in game experience.
KEEP BEING A HATER!! Go (Raheem) Rams!!

oldnotdead

Legend
If Raheem and McVay are smart they would allow Pleasant to devise the scheme that would be acceptable to Morris. Then allow Pleasant to coach the players to play that scheme aggressively, using the players that Aubrey wants to play. Morris can then call the plays during the game. In other words similar to how McVay runs his offense.

There have been times Raheem looked like he was trying to use Monte Kiffin's 4-3 under scheme up front playing zone behind it. But regardless of how you look at it Morris runs more zone than anyone else in the NFL, almost 90% making him the most predictable DC in the league. Most of that zone has looked like cover 2 versions, and versions of quarters coverages. The prerequisite for these coverages is a consistently strong 4 man rush.

Coming in Daniel Hardy was viewed as a 2 year project type of player. It looks like his time might be this year. He's going to have to make a huge jump to be that starter. I'm not saying he can't, but I am saying to expect him to be another Floyd might be a year premature. Extending Greg Gaines is a big priority. He's their second best 3T who can start for anyone. Gaines is second on the Rams simply because he's behind Donald. This year without Donald, Gaines proved his worth. This year they can move Donald to DE, Gaines DT, Brown NT, and Hoecht to JACK.

I still feel that the Rams will take an edge with their first pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly looking at this roster right now and the projected picks I would put 100% effort into restacking this defense. Load that side of the ball up with young talent. Only offensive picks would be on the line, C and G in that order of priority. The rest just take shots at corner, safety, and edge and go into camp with massive competition.

If they can get this unit playing good ball then we are definitely a playoff team. Because McVay will find a way through the minefield on the other side of the ball.

Then next year that first round pick is reserved for LT, even if we have to move up to get him. Of course this plan of mine would probably fragment the moment I'm looking at LaPorta with that second round pick but gotta have a plan to deviate from right.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I guess you will find out about Jalen Ramsey. You’ll get a full season in another system.

Yeah - a FS - lol
then again he has at least 5-7 seasons left in him ?Woodson & other great CB’s finished their career doing it. Speed only last so long.He gets burned deep,so a FS will have to cheat over the top at times.

oldnotdead

Legend
My final parting comment:

Morris had 3 future HOF players on his defense at the same time, one at each level.

DL: Aaron Donald probably the defensive GOAT
LB: Bobby Wagner a consummate pro, proved he has a lot still in his tank
Secondary: Jalen Ramsey among the best CB ever to play

Final defensive ranking 18th overall, not even in the top 10. A complete waste of talent. Proves beyond all doubt he doesn't play to his roster's strength. Why? Morris said it himself right after he got here. He said he doesn't give a damn. So WTF is he still doing here? That is the worst example for any coach to display. He's being paid to "give a damn".

TexasRam

Legend
My final parting comment:

Morris had 3 future HOF players on his defense at the same time, one at each level.

DL: Aaron Donald probably the defensive GOAT
LB: Bobby Wagner a consummate pro, proved he has a lot still in his tank
Secondary: Jalen Ramsey among the best CB ever to play

Final defensive ranking 18th overall, not even in the top 10. A complete waste of talent. Proves beyond all doubt he doesn't play to his roster's strength. Why? Morris said it himself right after he got here. He said he doesn't give a damn. So WTF is he still doing here? That is the worst example for any coach to display. He's being paid to "give a damn".
I don't know dude. I think Morris is Mediocre just like the other 95% of us. He isn't Larry Marmie but he is rather simplistic and predictable and makes things way too easy on bad QB's. With the same talent better DC's could win us 3-4 more games just by being less predictable and not conceding easy completions via 12 yard cushions dam near every play.

But saying Morris "plays his buddies not who is best" doesn't even make sense and saying he doesn't give a damn is taken out of context.

He doesn't give a damn about "stats" is the context, and I am fine with that. Wins matter and sometimes the path to that requires less aggression and more clock burning, and a tighter game then it should be. So stats be damned. That is fine.

I am not sure why you would question he isn't doing his best to win games. No DC in their right mind would play their buddies if they thought those guys were not the best options to winning the game. Of course he is trying to win games. He just has a naive, oversimplified schematic approach. I mean, unless you have evidence that he is being paid under the table by his buddies I am not sure this idea makes any sense. His livelihood is dependent on how well his defense plays.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Crazy to say regardless of what the 95% think ,we won a SB under a Morris D, unless it was all a fluke…I don’t know what to say but their is proof that we did win a SB and their is no denying that. I am curious to see how we operate this time around with nobodies, but AD… If he can morph a young squad of greens into stars that be something to brag about…

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless McVay wants to hang his friend out to dry he has to get him some fucking corners. Period. At least one good one in the draft, along with a load of UDFAs. Safety is the same, though it's not a tough position to get. It's corner that's the concern.

The front needs help too but if they can get the secondary loaded with some good young talent and coach them up then we can potentially have a defense that makes strides through the season and finishes strong.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Crazy to say regardless of what the 95% think ,we won a SB under a Morris D, unless it was all a fluke…I don’t know what to say but their is proof that we did win a SB and their is no denying that. I am curious to see how we operate this time around with nobodies, but AD… If he can morph a young squad of greens into stars that be something to brag about…

YEP ! Brown Bro’s I keep telling everyone & Ernest Jones is for real. He will be THE GREEN LEADER with the dot.
Les Snead is going to get speed around the Edges.He can’t remember any of his draft picks last season off hand.
I’ll say the kid Bentley & D. Hardy will be better next season. Kier Thomas as well will help The Rams get a better rotation.
—LMAO at all that don’t like Kendrick. Got a lot of CROW slow roasting come September 2023 to February-

TexasRam

Legend
Well yea when you go out and add a Von Miller and Eric Weddle to Donald, Ramsey, Gaines , Ashawn etc, the defense is going to make stops. Morris did nothing special. He played pretty vanilla, but that's Ok. It's what we needed and he got it done.

I give Morris credit for having his guys ready. There were very little defensive breakdowns in our playoff run, mostly guys knowing their assignments and executing and the scheme being good enough. Again, he is not a top DC but he was good enough for a loaded defense with 4 future hall of famers and several other very good players.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Unless McVay wants to hang his friend out to dry he has to get him some fucking corners. Period. At least one good one in the draft, along with a load of UDFAs. Safety is the same, though it's not a tough position to get. It's corner that's the concern.

The front needs help too but if they can get the secondary loaded with some good young talent and coach them up then we can potentially have a defense that makes strides through the season and finishes strong.
Hoping the Rams could get Darnay Holmes from the Giants after his contract is up. Dude gots talent been following him since he was playing at Calabasas HS. Still young gots plenty of years ahead of him…