Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'd like Morris to simply mix it up more often when the situation calls for it. Play press on 3rd and long sometimes to give AD time to get there so QBs aren't pre-determining where to go. I'll say it again, mix up the defensive looks a bit more.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wtf?! You cheer for the Whiners? Man fuck that piece of shit team. Only cheering for them to lose is acceptable around these parts.

Sure ! Whatever you say goes!! I’m a little in the closet,so there you have it!!
You know i don’t know where you live.I flew into the OC airport the other day. There was this Latino father & his smug Azz kid who had a New Niners hat on!! You don’t know how bad I wanted to just go off on them. I held myself back from even saying something.I just got done pissing from a screwed up flight. They stopped in front of me so he could wash his hands.Had to see his face & hat through the mirror if looks could kill. They are still infesting even more.
I bet there are a lot of Dodger Fans who are Niner fans
Last month I was at a Costco at a tires place waiting in line behind PAT(he/she) person type with a Niners Hat.
Weather I was glad The Rams got Homefield advantage to BEAT the niners to win the SuperBowl. I guess you wanted The Rams to go back & lose to Green Bay.Joe Barry &’Lafluer.

I guess not to see EVERYTiME whose house is filled with RED would have been worth it.Thinking back to Jimmy G bringing the Niners back against Morris’s defense would have The Raheem Morris Haters going real wild that he is coming back.

-Status quo for me.I’ve always hated Niner fans in so cal. Had a Niner fan friend jump off the GG bridge 6 months ago. Would have sucked to think he missed them winning it all. Do wish the Niners lost with Purdy playing. Now that he is hurt I have to LMAO at how silly Shags/Lynched themselves by trading 3 firsts for a QB who has only probably play in 25 games through college & 2 NFL seasons total.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like Morris to simply mix it up more often when the situation calls for it. Play press on 3rd and long sometimes to give AD time to get there so QBs aren't pre-determining where to go. I'll say it again, mix up the defensive looks a bit more.
Raheem homer! ~ OldSchool

Tano

Legend
I think we will see plenty of it. But maybe not as much. There was talk he had to play that way because he didn't want to expose the inexperienced players he had to use due to injuries. So now that these guys have more experience maybe he'll be more aggressive?
Thing is - what injuries after 6 games other than Fuller

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Does anybody know the timing of the near sack/pressure on Burrow to end the SB? I've read opposing QBs got the ball out in 2.3 seconds this year but AD's pressure on that play was pretty quick. Sure looked like it was.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Does anybody know the timing of the near sack/pressure on Burrow to end the SB? I've read opposing QBs got the ball out in 2.3 seconds this year but AD's pressure on that play was pretty quick. Sure looked like it was.
It was probably around there. I started LOVING Morris at the end of the season and playoffs when he was playing aggressive. Not sure if having Weddle at Safety helped, but I loved they Morris. The Morris I despise is the one we seen all year and to start the year last year.

Tano

Legend
Something I and OldNotDead have been saying time and again.

Tano

Legend
It was probably around there. I started LOVING Morris at the end of the season and playoffs when he was playing aggressive. Not sure if having Weddle at Safety helped, but I loved they Morris. The Morris I despise is the one we seen all year and to start the year last year.
If we made it where the average time to throw was at minimum 2.6 to 2.8 seconds, we would have done even better on defense imho

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
If we made it where the average time to throw was at minimum 2.6 to 2.8 seconds, we would have done even better on defense imho
Agree. It's maddening and so painful to let teams throw 4-5 yard passes all the way down the field all game. With hopes they won't break in the RedZone. Bring the DBs up and at least let your pass rush have a fighting chance to get there.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
IMHO, the bitch for our "style" of defense does not fall on Morris. It falls on McVay/Snead. You can't ask Morris to play an aggessive style defense without adequate Edge players and experienced CBs. So the bend but don't break approach was employed. And if you look at the numbers, it worked:

#19 in yards allowed
#16 in offensive points allowed
#9 in offensive TDs allowed

So the yards yielded were just over "middle of the pack".
Points allowed were exactly middle of the pact
And offensive TDs allowed were top 10.
Progressively better in each catagory.

Those numbers suggest, though giving up yards, they didn't give up many TDs but they did give up field goals. And what is the common statement when you're facing a prolific offense? "FGs aren't going to beat this team". The numbers suggest the only thing missing from the equation.....put up points and give up field goals rather than TDs.....is the putting up of points. >>>>>>

Our offense ran up 4700 yards (#32), scored 31 TDs (#26) and kicked FGs (#17)
The TD output alone was 20 less than 2021 which in itself was enough to doom the season but we also kicked 4 fewer FGs.

But the majority of the blame goes towards Morris.....for doing what his head coach probably asked of him. I know, I know, the retort to that is "we all know how bad the offense was but the end result was a combination of the two". If I were to attempt a percentage designation, it might go something like this:

85% offense, 10% special teams and 5% defense!!!!

Yeah, yeah, I know. "If we would have only won that Tampa game and got to that magic 4-4 number, things would have been different". Yeah, ah, NO. We would have been 6-11 instead of 5-12. The following week we had Jugs Gun John Wolford playing and he put up a massive 147 yards passing prior to our last possession which started with us trailing 27-10. Though our offense didn't approach the level of failure in the Tampa game (twelve 3 and outs), it wasn't for lack of trying. Our first 6 drives amassed 88 yards and 3 points. Our next 4 drives amassed 100 yards and 7 points. So 10 drives, 188 yards (19 yds/drive) and 10 points (1 pt/drive). And the final drive which skewed the actual performance towards one that appeared better, we went 70 yards, scored 7 points while Arizona was playing prevent. "But Morris' D made Colt McCoy look like Tom Brady!!!".

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
I don't think one person is blaming the defense for over 10% of the cause.

We know it was the offense.

But #16 defense in points just is not going to cut it when our team was not going to score points.

If we aren't winning games because of the offense, maybe try something different with the defense to be top 10 in scoring defense

But no - Morris did pretty much the same conservative defense in almost every game.

And what was our ending record 5 - 12

Offense sucked but I truly believe we could have done much better with the defense being a top 10 scoring defense. I really believe we had a top notch defense with Donald Ramsey and Wagner and other really decent players. Gaines Robinson Jones Scott Floyd

A great defensive coordinator can hide the weakness of the other players. Morris is just a so so DC (JAG) and I would like a great DC

The current Denver DC was up for grabs and I would have loved to have him.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't think one person is blaming the defense for over 10% of the cause.

We know it was the offense.

But #16 defense in points just is not going to cut it when our team was not going to score points.

If we aren't winning games because of the offense, maybe try something different with the defense to be top 10 in scoring defense

But no - Morris did pretty much the same conservative defense in almost every game.

And what was our ending record 5 - 12

Offense sucked but I truly believe we could have done much better with the defense being a top 10 scoring defense. I really believe we had a top notch defense with Donald Ramsey and Wagner and other really decent players. Gaines Robinson Jones Scott Floyd

A great defensive coordinator can hide the weakness of the other players. Morris is just a so so DC (JAG) and I would like a great DC

The current Denver DC was up for grabs and I would have loved to have him.
Well I don't. 31 touchdowns is less than 2 a game, less than 14 points a game and little more with a FG or two added. "We could have done much better"? What, lost a lot of close games? We'd have to be the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens to 'do well' with the shitty offense we saw this year. We averaged 17.7 offensive PPG. You're really gonna tell me we could have 'done something' with that "had our defense been top 10"? Better yes. More than 6 or 7 wins? Extremely doubtful.

Tano

Legend
Well I don't. 31 touchdowns is less than 2 a game, less than 14 points a game and little more with a FG or two added. "We could have done much better"? What, lost a lot of close games? We'd have to be the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens to 'do well' with the shitty offense we saw this year. We averaged 17.7 offensive PPG. You're really gonna tell me we could have 'done something' with that "had our defense been top 10"? Better yes. More than 6 or 7 wins? Extremely doubtful.
Well you and I disagree.

I saw at minimum 4 more games for the taking if our defense was a top 10 defense

TB NO Arizona and the Last Seattle game

In fact, the thing that bugged me the most was the 1 turnover in 8 games stretch where the season was basically lost during the season

And when we did get a turnover, I believe we got at most 2 or 3 turnovers inside the 50

If we had a couple more of those during the season may have resulted in a win in the close games.

And how many times did we force teams to punt inside the opponents 35? Not many.

Our field position started inside the 30 90% of the time and I think it was 75% of the time we started inside the 25

Our defense was not helping our shitty offense at all.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams made an interesting move, actually two of them. They hired Aubrey Pleasant to coach DBs. Good hire, he's familiar with an aggressive style of defensive secondary play. Now they have hired former Univ of Washington HC in a TBD position?

Could this be positioning for parting ways with Morris? They cleaned house of defensive assistant coaches. These guys simply played the defense the way Morris wanted so it's making them scapegoats if they keep Morris. So could Lake be brought on as the next DC? Jimmy Lake has been a good defensive backs coach. He was mis-casted as a HC at Washington. Jimmy style has always been an aggressive style of defensive play. He likes a combination of man and zone coverage schemes to keep the QB guessing.

Thats has been part of the problem of with Morris. If the presnap read is man or zone for the QB that is exactly what he gets.

The bottom line is that a defense that is ranked 22nd with the Rams personnel is a travesty and lies strictly with the DC and his scheme.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
You've got to give this up man, Morris isnt going anywhere
I think what it could mean is McVay, Morris, etc. realize they had a coverage and QB pressure issue. They said something (or Jordain mentioned it) about lack of pressure an issue and why they pursued Burns so aggressively.

I think they will again pursue a pass rusher - via trade or (more likely) their first pick in the draft. It’ll coincide with them not playing such soft coverage too. I am hopeful we’ll see more of a defensive system like the late 2021 one versus the 2022 one.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You've got to give this up man, Morris isnt going anywhere
How ignorant to people think McVay and Snead are that at this late in the hiring process they're going to fire Morris. If they were getting rid of him it would have been with all the other coaches. McVay has a record of letting people go early for the best chance to catch on elsewhere.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
How ignorant to people think McVay and Snead are that at this late in the hiring process they're going to fire Morris. If they were getting rid of him it would have been with all the other coaches. McVay has a record of letting people go early for the best chance to catch on elsewhere.
So maybe McVay isn't letting Morris go anywhere after the "Who Shit in the Porta-Potty" incident from a few years back?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I think Morris sticks around. I'd much rather comp picks, but he isn't a bad DC. Middling. Average. Maybe a touch above. He won a Super Bowl. You can never take that away from him. I do hope this is an area the Rams look to improve upon though. They seem very aggressive and cut-throat in other areas. Why not with the DC? Goff was shipped out of town not because he was bad, but because the Rams thought they could do better. I expect that mentality to be applied to DC as well.