Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
he isn't a bad DC.

22nd rank vs the pass? Thats because he played too damn soft and played a JAG (a slow one at that) rookie 6th pick opposite Ramsey. I predicted Kendrick would be toast and he was. So why couldn't this not so bad DC see that? The few times he played man why was Hill out there? The dude is also too slow to play boundary and has zero agility to play man coverage. But this not too bad DC didn't know that? The for him to cry not the right people is so fucking outrageous. He sat Durant and Rochell both with 4.3 speed. Rochell played well until he was benched by Morris. Only when he was forced did he play Durant and what do you know he outplayed Kendrick. And the not so bad DC didn't know he would?

The dude sucks as DC

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
22nd rank vs the pass? Thats because he played too damn soft and played a JAG (a slow one at that) rookie 6th pick opposite Ramsey. I predicted Kendrick would be toast and he was. So why couldn't this not so bad DC see that? The few times he played man why was Hill out there? The dude is also too slow to play boundary and has zero agility to play man coverage. But this not too bad DC didn't know that? The for him to cry not the right people is so fucking outrageous. He sat Durant and Rochell both with 4.3 speed. Rochell played well until he was benched by Morris. Only when he was forced did he play Durant and what do you know he outplayed Kendrick. And the not so bad DC didn't know he would?

The dude sucks as DC
Pass defense is only 1 stat.

How were the Rams against the run? In the red zone? In terms of total yards? In terms of explosive plays? I suspect the overall picture for this Rams defence shows it was average-ish in 2022.

And the Rams hardly had great players in the secondary this past season. We also lacked an edge rush presence and were missing AD99 for several games, who essentially is the heart of our defence.

Not to mention the offense was so bad this season that the D was on the field non-stop, getting tired.

The players seem to like Morris as well.

I was uncertain on Morris for a long time. I ultimately landed on wanting him gone, once we were well into last season, for various reasons. But I don't think calling him a crappy DC is necessarily fair. Even if I think the Rams could do better on the open market. I do hope we see new blood at DC soon. Ideally in a manner that results in compensatory draft picks.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Derion Kendrick 40 time 4.87 YEAH YOU SAW IT RIGHT 4.87 MORRIS' STARTING CB
Ah yes, the all important 40 time!!! Hasn't that been dispelled by a multitude of great players with "slow" times. Or an equal mutitude of failures with 4.3 and 4.4 forty times.

I've been trying to figure out a math problem. If the receiver runs a 4.42 forty and the DB runs a 4.87 forty, how many yards will the WR have on the DB at the end of a 40 yard pass play? More in press. Less, if the DB is giving a 5 yd cushion? Even less with an 8 yard cushion?

And the difference ..... 4.87 - 4.42 ...... is 0.45 or less than 1/2 a second......a little more than 1/2 a yard? Then it comes down to verticle leap. And ball placement. Which why they take all those measurables at the combine and pro days. In the end the best measure is can the guy ball or not?

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Ah yes, the all important 40 time!!! Hasn't that been dispelled by a multitude of great players with "slow" times. Or an equal mutitude of failures with 4.3 and 4.4 forty times.

I've been trying to figure out a math problem. If the receiver runs a 4.42 forty and the DB runs a 4.87 forty, how many yards will the WR have on the DB at the end of a 40 yard pass play? More in press. Less, if the DB is giving a 5 yd cushion? Even less with an 8 yard cushion?

And the difference ..... 4.87 - 4.42 ...... is 0.45 or less than 1/2 a second......a little more than 1/2 a yard? Then it comes down to verticle leap. And ball placement. Which why they take all those measurables at the combine and pro days. In the end the best measure is can the guy ball or not?
Kendrick was not good at all last year. He was a rookie but his lack of speed definitely showed up. Wish Durant got more play and he should play way more ahead of Kendrick next year. Offensive definitely needs more revamping but we definitely have some weak spots on the D that need to be reinforced.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Kendrick was not good at all last year. He was a rookie but his lack of speed definitely showed up. Wish Durant got more play and he should play way more ahead of Kendrick next year. Offensive definitely needs more revamping but we definitely have some weak spots on the D that need to be reinforced.
We'll see.

In any event, who expected a 6th round rookie to be a stud.....right away?

And why was he starting? I know, Morris is a bum.

It's quote possible our 3 starters might be Ramsey, Kendrick and Durant in the slot.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
We'll see.

In any event, who expected a 6th round rookie to be a stud.....right away?

And why was he starting? I know, Morris is a bum.

It's quote possible our 3 starters might be Ramsey, Kendrick and Durant in the slot.
Never even mentioned Morris in my response so not sure why you mentioned him lol. I'm simply stating that Kendrick was not good and his speed was a liability unfortunately. Can some guys over come 40 times and have better game speed? Yes they can, but Kendrick was slow as fuck. It was a bad decision to keep playing him for as long as they did and I feel like Durant should have replaced him sooner but maybe he wasn't healthy either? Shit if I know, but I know Kendrick was constantly and successfully picked on every game. Only Evans getting starts was more baffling than Kendrick consistently starting. I have a feeling Kendrick would be a better safety quite honestly, but the Rams would be dumb to start him unless he suddenly gets much faster game speed wise. I'm guessing the Rams will bring in more speed in the secondary via FA and/or draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fortunately for us the Rams stopped worrying about 40 times years ago. Not to mention he only started like 5 or 6 games didn't even play in a couple :D

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well there was a stat that showed that almost no defensive backs running slower than 4.7 have lastedinger than a few years in the league. So 40 times are overrated but I think that on the extreme ends of either side can tell you something.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
A few points in response to things said here:
  • Kendrick, though by no means a speed demon, ran his 4.87 whole recovering from a hamstring injury.
  • Players don’t enter the PFHOF for a particular team.
  • Morris’ defense helped the Rams win a Super Bowl. That doesn’t make him above criticism (I’ve criticized him too). But it does make some of the comments here massive overstatements.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The dude sucks as DC
Personnel. He needs better defensive backs. I don't think any coordinator is completely without fault for failure (Mcvay for offensive woes at times) but we've seen Raheem lead a defense to a Superbowl while putting some lights out performances up.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

But on 3rd and 5 who needs to run a 40 yd deep route?

Think Winnie The Pooh GIF

oldnotdead

Legend
Pass defense is only 1 stat.

Depending upon where you go the overall defense fell from #1 under Staley to between 14 and 18 last year. Bad years for Donald and Ramsey weren't flukes, it was the scheme. The Ram's two best defensive players having bad years isn't a fluke.

If all the assistants get fired this year for subpar coaching why not Raheem? He's McVay's buddy that's why.

They won in the playoffs because Morris changed up his prevent base scheme. Why didn't he do it during the season? Because he's arrogant which he showed in his first TC yelling he doesn't give a damn what people think. Why? He knows better? Sure he does.