What's all this talk about giving up?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am probably out of line here being a newbie but I hate to see this cancer spreading to this board. I left one board because of the constant negativity. (which means nothing) You cant post there now if you support the Rams in anyway. All decent fans have been driven out by haters. Frustration I understand. But believe me this stuff can snow ball in a hurry. There are constructive ways to discuss the teams problems. Its a slippery slope.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I am probably out of line here being a newbie but I hate to see this cancer spreading to this board. I left one board because of the constant negativity. (which means nothing) You cant post there now if you support the Rams in anyway. All decent fans have been driven out by haters. Frustration I understand. But believe me this stuff can snow ball in a hurry. There are constructive ways to discuss the teams problems. Its a slippery slope.
Cancer or being realistic?
This is exactly why politicians exist in this world because you can butter something up and call it something else and talk about it, debate, hope for change blah blah blah or be realistic of what the situation actually is and call it by the facts.

We are poorly coached, and When I say poorly coached I mean 1 sack in 6 games poorly coached. or refuse to make adjustments throughout the game poorly coached. The facts are on this "negative cancers" side.

And yes we have a incredible amount of talent on this roster that our two coordinators refuse or are to ignorant to use unlike the DeSpags days. Look, I've been as positive and as optimistic as anybody over this last decade plus but the way Fisher is allowing these issues to go unchecked is a disaster and a lack of realism on his part IMO. Stay the course my ass Captain Ahab. FIX SHIT!!

Which year in this rebuild are we supposed to actually have a winning season? 2006? 2007? 2008? 2009? 2010? 2011? 2012? 2013? 2014? These are all professionals that we support and it's their job that they get paid millions to perform. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect something in return out them for almost a decade.

You have your opinion, I have mine, and I'm going to post mine and there are those of us that think what I'm saying but don't post it. If that's negative then so be it. God I hope we turn things around this season like we do in our games so far but I see us Sucking for the Duck right about now.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Deliver you with a dose of reality more and like it
So you admit to being one of those " people who enjoy posting negative ad nauseum"

See, I didn't name anyone in that post ,glad you came forward , admitting you have a problem is always the first step.
I realize you think we are poorly coached ,but we are in receipt of combined over 100 years of coaching experience ,there isn't a single team in this league that is poorly coached just good better and best, these guys have forgotten more about football than you and I know together,that's the reality of it.
What I will never understand about "enjoying " even reveling in the negativity is what the payoff is,how it makes you feel better ,if you think the drumbeat you are sounding in the end is going to make things better for anyone,most of all yourself.

Further since I didn't name you I'd like to know by what authority you think you can tell another poster they will take it and "like it",I think from looking at your post count you aught to know by now that the tough guy ethos with other posters is not appreciated here, in fact it is the very type of thing that this board was created to avoid.
Every fan here hurts from the losses ,some wallow in the misery some look for the positives and acknowledge the progress, our decision which way we go doesn't establish "reality" it only reveals what we want to focus on.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Monday night I needed to vent, and did. I will continue to watch the games, root for the Rams, and hold out hope they can salvage the season, but let me be clear: the way I felt Monday after the game was horrible, and yet all too familiar. I have my opinions - one of which is that Austin Davis is closer to what we saw this week than the past two - but will keep pulling for the guy and holding on to the fandom.

But to chastise people after a third consecutive soul-wrenching loss for being down is kinda harsh, bro. Especially in a season in which we were supposed to have turned the corner.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Monday night I needed to vent, and did. I will continue to watch the games, root for the Rams, and hold out hope they can salvage the season, but let me be clear: the way I felt Monday after the game was horrible, and yet all too familiar. I have my opinions - one of which is that Austin Davis is closer to what we saw this week than the past two - but will keep pulling for the guy and holding on to the fandom.

But to chastise people after a third consecutive soul-wrenching loss for being down is kinda harsh, bro. Especially in a season in which we were supposed to have turned the corner.

Losing to the 49ers on Monday night is like a Rams loss x100000
Nothing worse than losing to the 49ers the way we did and at the same time there is nothing better than beating them
It has been a fucking horrible week that may just get worse and worse

I do think Austin Davis is closer to be the next Kurt Warner than he is to being the next Keith Null

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Imagine this...

I didn't quit being a Royal Fan after a 29 year playoff drought. And it wasn't just a playoff drought, it was utter suckatude for basically 30 years.

The pain of losing makes the victories so much sweeter.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

WHO DIDN'T?
But this board supplies a vent thread ,to keep encouraging people who aren't giving up to do so,to accuse them of being unrealistic because they refuse to wallow in the pain in threads about not giving up isn't "harsh"?
I'm a long way from happy with how things turned out in those three games, but I decided whatever way we even represented in games against top flight opponents after Sam went down was going to be accruing to grit and coaching and we were in all three of those games at the end.
People who want Hill talk about the few plays he'd be better, these losses came down to no more plays than they conjure.
Not saying "moral victory" here,I'm saying CLOSE with a young team,I see the need to improve ,but no need to throw in the towel , and FWIW I'd love to be coaching against those who are ready to throw it in, loved it when I was coaching,further I can't fathom how people who are throwing it in can possibly criticize anyone else who did,i.e. the coaches and players.

My ethos is to be the type of fan who reflects the attitude I expect from the team and coaches , these guys didn't quit nor did the coaches ,they fucked up ,you can fix that,but negativity is bone deep and I've never seen it fix anything.

AZRamsFan93

I agree DCH. I will always root for the Rams, and I understand some posters not wanting to read about how disappointed others are with the performance of this team. They should also understand that "focusing on the positives" is also frustrating to some that see a high probability of a 1-8 record (and full NFL laughingstock status once again) unless something DRASTICALLY changes and SOON.

Some on this board and this thread have stated "we are really close". They may be right, but close to what I am not sure.

AZRamsFan93

WHO DIDN'T?
But this board supplies a vent thread ,to keep encouraging people who aren't giving up to do so,to accuse them of being unrealistic because they refuse to wallow in the pain in threads about not giving up isn't "harsh"?
I'm a long way from happy with how things turned out in those three games, but I decided whatever way we even represented in games against top flight opponents after Sam went down was going to be accruing to grit and coaching and we were in all three of those games at the end.
People who want Hill talk about the few plays he'd be better, these losses came down to no more plays than they conjure.
Not saying "moral victory" here,I'm saying CLOSE with a young team,I see the need to improve ,but no need to throw in the towel , and FWIW I'd love to be coaching against those who are ready to throw it in, loved it when I was coaching,further I can't fathom how people who are throwing it in can possibly criticize anyone else who did,i.e. the coaches and players.

My ethos is to be the type of fan who reflects the attitude I expect from the team and coaches , these guys didn't quit nor did the coaches ,they fucked up ,you can fix that,but negativity is bone deep and I've never seen it fix anything.
That is a fair response, and clearly you are free to be the type of fan you choose to be. More power to you. I have also never seen "blowing sunshine up one's backside" fix anything either. Competence and accountability will fix things, nothing short of that.

Remember, however, we are fans. We are not players, coaches or front office. We are the customers of this team. When the customer is being given a disappointing product there is the right to complain.

Where you see that we are close, I see the same old maddening failures we have seen for years. I will believe when this team gives me a reason to believe.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I get as irritated as the next guy. I flew out from Denver to watch us look amazing for 29 minutes only to fall apart the rest of the game. The worst part is we could be 4-1 but we're not.

Bottom line for me is as much as I hate losing even if we're 1-15 I'll still watch every Sunday.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
sbk6c8.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
We all are, my friend, we all are. Some of us just feel like giving this to anyone within visual distance sometimes during the season:

tumblr_inline_nblb0l0ZxY1qb5lr9.gif

It's like we're all on the Titanic and the band is striking up Auld Lang Syne in the background. We all see the massive iceberg up ahead. Some of us are putting on our life jackets and looking to the captain and his mates to steer clear of impending disaster while others are screaming "We're all going to die!" and running into each other.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I agree DCH. I will always root for the Rams, and I understand some posters not wanting to read about how disappointed others are with the performance of this team. They should also understand that "focusing on the positives" is also frustrating to some that see a high probability of a 1-8 record (and full NFL laughingstock status once again) unless something DRASTICALLY changes and SOON.

Some on this board and this thread have stated "we are really close". They may be right, but close to what I am not sure.
Let me address this, if I thought for an instant that complaining would help,I got a laundry list,but when I blow sunshine up your ass, at least you have the comfort of knowing I'm just saying what you want is possible,but the constant din of negativity we are getting from some people is like pissing on the campfire and predicting what none of us want,panic, homesickness, despair, spreads and so does positivism.
BAD NEWS ALWAYS arrives soon enough,no coach on this team can't see what's going wrong they watch every snap time and again ,they are making "adjustments " hell we scored on a play to Kendricks I will guarantee they stole from the Seahawks, we are evolving started three rookies on defense and had multiple snaps for a fourth,they will get better ,Tre Mason flat out flashed ,take the positives these things will become wins , this draft IMO could be one of "those drafts" that dynasties are credited to,OBTW there were plays where Grob ragdolled the Cowboy .
Hope that helps, if we do end up 1-8 JMO worrying about it now just prolongs the agony.

AZRamsFan93

Let me address this, if I thought for an instant that complaining would help,I got a laundry list,but when I blow sunshine up your ass, at least you have the comfort of knowing I'm just saying what you want is possible,but the constant din of negativity we are getting from some people is like pissing on the campfire and predicting what none of us want,panic, homesickness, despair, spreads and so does positivism.
BAD NEWS ALWAYS arrives soon enough,no coach on this team can't see what's going wrong they watch every snap time and again ,they are making "adjustments " hell we scored on a play to Kendricks I will guarantee they stole from the Seahawks, we are evolving started three rookies on defense and had multiple snaps for a fourth,they will get better ,Tre Mason flat out flashed ,take the positives these things will become wins , this draft IMO could be one of "those drafts" that dynasties are credited to,OBTW there were plays where Grob ragdolled the Cowboy .
Hope that helps, if we do end up 1-8 JMO worrying about it now just prolongs the agony.
I understand and I don't have any issues with your approach.

This board will be fine with all types of posters as long as it is kept civil and the discourse is around football and not personal attacks.

I didn't see in the rules where it says we all have to be optimistic and hopeful. I, for one, am really hoping that the team gives me a reason for optimism starting this Sunday.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
It's like we're all on the Titanic and the band is striking up Auld Lang Syne in the background. We all see the massive iceberg up ahead. Some of us are putting on our life jackets and looking to the captain and his mates to steer clear of impending disaster while others are screaming "We're all going to die!" and running into each other.
And some of us are saying we need to throw the captain overboard in the middle of the iceberg field even though he's been through it in charge 20 times before, just for the sake of change even though he( the new guy) may just pull up to board off the Exxon Valdez.
We may not be what we wanted to be this year ,but we are competing ,we aren't getting blown out by the best the NFC has to offer yet, Sunday could be doomsday,then again it could be when the light goes on.
There comes a time when insisting upon being right about doom and gloom appears to be rooting for it to happen, I won't be accused of that,bring on them Seahawks ,I'm going down on the field before the game Sunday and I'm going to find Fisher and suggest he use Aaron Donald as a short yardage back like they did the Fridge in Chicago,I'll bet he can run ten yards as fast as Tre Watts .

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just to weigh in a bit here. I get why fans would be pissed about what they have been seeing. I get why some see it as merely a continuation of what we've seen for many seasons. I also get why many of us DO see bright spots and a better product on the field. I also see much greater talent on this team than in several years. This team is very frustrating right now. I get that.

I suppose my problem is when people get on a fan forum that has always been about a fun exchange about our team and every post they can come up with is bitching about the team or is to defend their right as a fan to bitch and complain. Believe me. I see plenty to complain about.

I have never said that everyone should be Mr. Positive when things aren't looking good. But if you are one who wants to post a bunch of consecutive posts railing against the team and franchise or railing against others who don't want to read all the negativity then I can't help you. Maybe the answer is to go ahead and post all that crap on one of the many other sites that are into that sort of bash fest.

We have never shied away from the term Homer here so don't expect ANYONE here to start now. We are Homers and damned proud of it. Don't like that or feel like you have somehow earned the right to be a "REALIST"? Again, I can't help you.

Don't take this site down that fucked up road because you think you are voicing something the team needs to hear. Pretty simple really.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I understand and I don't have any issues with your approach.

This board will be fine with all types of posters as long as it is kept civil and the discourse is around football and not personal attacks.

I didn't see in the rules where it says we all have to be optimistic and hopeful. I, for one, am really hoping that the team gives me a reason for optimism starting this Sunday.

No but it has been a long standing policy that if someone starts down the broken record path where everything they post is negative, they will be urged to find another site.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Thor, I will help with the optimism...Being negative just makes a person's life a little chittier. I mean, people would find some negative crap even after a win.

Might as well enjoy the progress this team is making.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is plenty of bright spots, putting it all together has been the problem.
Cant say that should be a shock considering the youth on this team
I enjoy watching this team, its a far cry from the dark days when the only bright spot was Donnie Jones....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
No but it has been a long standing policy that if someone starts down the broken record path where everything they post is negative, they will be urged to find another site.

Here are some of the thread titles on the front page at RamsTalk today:

KRONEKE WHY WOULD HE STAY?

If 49ers let Harbaugh walk do we fry Fish and go all in

AD played horribly aginst SF

mlb prospects 2015 draft

RGIII trade was worse for Rams than the Dickerson deal

ITS OVER ST LOUIS

Keep in mind that there are only 12 threads per page at that site and those are half of them. We will not let ROD devolve into that type of negative sewer pit no matter how badly the season goes. It's just not fun or even interesting to be a part of a board like that.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Personally I don't quit rooting on my team. I have been a fan for a very long time and the Rams own my heart when it comes to football and the NFL is my favorite league. Being a fan of a team can at times victimize my family by carving out large chunks of time I would normally devote to more family interactive endeavors. Working a minimum of 60 hours each week time is at a premium. I will for my own sanity and the sake of my family probably spend a little less time watching and doing Ram related activities.

I will never have another favorite NFL team and don't follow of root for any team as a secondary option. I only ever cast my opinion as a fan with a lot of experience watching football on many levels and try to keep my bitching to the vent thread and the chatroom. I will say that this season to date has been especially disappointing and with all of my being hope we soon have a team to take pride in. To all my fellow Ram fans I wish us the best and hope we can turn this around sooner than later.

We have a great group of fans on this forum whom I both agree and disagree with at times but I am always aware that we share a bond deeper than the topic the bond of the Ram brotherhood good or bad. Win or lose and we have endeared some lengthy losing periods so to be here on this board with vested interest should show a commitment that unites. Through these tough times we will find our patience and tolerance tested but should remember to give each other a little space. We are a group where are commonality is the binding force that makes this forum enjoyable

Last edited: