What 49ers fans are saying(Games 1 and 2)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
Obviously I'm still rooting for the rams and it's worse for me as I'm watching it with a niner fan.. Yup

IMG_52670040969478.jpeg

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Looking for a San Francisco sweep this weekend...Cards to beat the Giants Saturday and Sunday, Rams to be the 49ers Monday!

iced

Looking for a San Francisco sweep this weekend...Cards to beat the Giants Saturday and Sunday, Rams to be the 49ers Monday!

No Cardinals game Monday - I hope that dome is maxed out with fans..especially at $10 on stub hub lol

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://forums.kffl.com/threads/313592-***Week-6-49ers-vs-St-Louis-Rams***

***Week 6 - 49ers vs St Louis Rams***

Trap game?

Certainly has all the makings of it.

Just had a tough win over a good opponent with the game having a nice side story with Alex returning.
Going on the road vs a division opponent on MNF
Big game looming the following week with a trip to Denver

The Rams are a dangerous team especially on defense. We all know our OL has been less than stellar in pass protection this year and St Louis arguably has one of the best pass rushing units in the game right now. If they allow those guys to tee off on Kap it will be ugly and I'm not sure our defense can keep up if the offense struggles.

Yes the Rams don't exactly strike fear in the hearts of men with that offense and who knows about Davis at QB...but he did play well vs the Eagles gave our offense a tough time.

IMO we need to utilize a similar strategy which won us the game vs KC.

Run the ball on offense. When we pass keep it quick and get the ball out of his hands quick with short/intermediate passes which just move the chains. If we want to take shots down the field do it off playaction and in the proper down/distance scenarios.

Simply put do not hurt ourselves which has been a real struggle this season. Have to have a clean game with penalties and absolutely cannot turn the ball over.

On defense we have to stop the run first and make sure we don't give Davis a clean pocket. I don't care if he's a nobody any QB in the NFL with time in the pocket can find his receivers and they have some speed on offense if we're not careful.

This is a game we have to win because the odds of going to Denver on a short week and winning there with the way our pass rush has been lately is very slim. Have to go into Denver at 4-2.
---------
Not having Long hurts them. Martin would have a real tough time with him. Boone and Iupati have to pick up their games in pass protection.
--------
We can't discount Austin Davis just b/c he's a backup. We faced a strong defense with a backup Qb 2 weeks ago and we lost.

Very worried about Brockers and Donald inside against Iupati and Boone. Remember how Jay Ratliff tore us apart inside in the Bears game? Brockers and Donald are every it as good.
---------
The interior pressure is killing this offense even more than the questionable play calling. Gotta get Colin out on the edge this game. Can't just call 5 and 7 step drops. The passing game from Arizona game coupled with the power running would kill the Rams.
---------
Coming into the season the belief was the Rams arguably had the best Dline in the game and yet here they are after 5 games with 1 sack and in the bottom 3rd against the run. It's a divisional game which is always a reason to throw stats out the window, but no way the Niners should lose this one.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
No Cardinals game Monday - I hope that dome is maxed out with fans..especially at $10 on stub hub lol
I'll be at game one of the NLCS on Saturday and well rested ready to get my ass to the Rams game Monday!

ram007

Starter
On CBS, 1% are picking Rams ( I was one of the votes. may its just my vote in that 1%) which means Rams win (i hope).

On the other spectrum, 99% of CBS voters choose 9ers. is there such a big gap between the two teams(n)

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
"Coming into the season the belief was the Rams arguably had the best Dline in the game and yet here they are after 5 games with 1 sack and in the bottom 3rd against the run. It's a divisional game which is always a reason to throw stats out the window, but no way the Niners should lose this one."

The Rams have only played 4 games, dumbass.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This one is from a Rams site via a 49ers site or maybe vice versa. :confused:
-----------------------------------
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/10/8/6946755/rams-49ers-role-players

Rams-49ers: Who's Flying Under the Radar?
By 3k@3k_ on Oct 8 2014

To get an initial sense of who's helping the 49ers in 2014 but might not be getting into the headlines Rams fans are seeing, I linked up with David "Fooch" Fucillo from Niners Nation. He gave me three under the radar players and I dropped three of the Rams less heralded contributors on him.

49ers

OLB Aaron Lynch

The 49ers used a 5th round pick on Lynch this past May, but this is a guy with 1st round caliber talent. Off the field issues sunk his draft stock, but in his short time with the 49ers, Lynch has been an impact player every single week. The 49ers are playing without Aldon Smith for the first nine weeks, and Lynch has taken advantage of this opportunity.

Dan Skutastarts at OLB in place of Smith, but when the 49ers move into their nickel, Lynch has taken over the role. 2013 draft pick Corey Lemonier started the season in that role, but within the span of three weeks, Lynch surpassed him on the depth chart. I can almost guarantee that Lynch will knock down one of Austin Davis's passes, and will hurry him at least once or twice. He will be coming off the left end, so keep an eye out.

WR Brandon Lloyd

For Rams fans, I suppose Lloyd would not be under the radar in general. And yet, I imagine Rams fans would be surprised to see him impacting things the way he is. Lloyd has split time with Stevie Johnson as the 49ers No. 3 receiver. Lloyd has handled the bulk of that work the past two weeks, and he had one of his patented highlight reel catches in Week 5.Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree are the guys to watch, but Lloyd has quickly proven himself incredibly capable.

C Daniel Kilgore

I included him last week, and he's back again this week. The fourth year veteran took over the 49ers starting center work this year, replacing capable veteran Jonathan Goodwin. Kilgore has struggled at times with pass protection, but he is turning into a strong run blocker. The 49ers found a lot of success up the middle in Week 5, thanks in no small part to Kilgore. He will face a stiff challenge this week against the center of that defensive front.

Rams

RB Benny Cunningham

Zac Stacy was the focus for much of the preseason discussion regarding the Rams' rushing attack, but Cunningham's role has only increased since his rookie season in 2013. He's picking up about a half dozen rushes per contest, and is doing fine in his role in the running back committee, averaging more than four yards per rush. With Stacy dealing with a calf injury he picked up late in last weeks' game against the Eagles, Cunningham may either have to take on the starting role or, if Stacy is able to play, keep Stacy's workload limited on Monday with increased usage. Either way, Niners fans will see him plenty.

CB E.J. Gaines

The Rams' entire secondary is built on youth. The most senior cornerbacks and safeties are only in their third year, so there was an opportunity for an unknown to jump up the depth chart. Some thought it might be second-year Miami product Brandon McGee, but E.J. Gaines, a sixth-round pick out of Missouri, has lept to the second CB spot asideJanoris Jenkins and has shined in doing so. He's up for the NFL's rookie of the week award, and it's a solid reflection of the quality he's brought to the secondary even with as little experience as he has

DE Ethan Westbrooks

Michael Sam (Distraction! Squirrel!) picked up most of the headlines in the preseason. Ethan Westbrooks picked up the roster spot. Westbrooks outplayed Sam with a story of his own, getting a face tattoo while working at Toys 'R Us because he never wanted a normal job ever again. To his credit, he earned the roster spot based on the quality of the performances he had in the preseason and hasn't looked back. His role has increased over the Rams' first four games with Chris Long out, so expect to see #93 in action on Monday.
---------------
A starting QB
is hardly under the radar, but Austin Davis has come in and done a very credible job. He’s a lot better than Hill and could/should make Bradford worry about his job.

Westbrook gets a honorable mention just for the sheer idiocy of getting a face tattoo.
------------
I guess Brian Quick isn't really under the radar anymore
But he’s having that classic 3rd year spike. I expect him to find paydirt on Monday.
-----------
I'm worried about Aaron Lynch, man...
Kid’s got scary talent if he can keep his head screwed on straight. And our offensive line isn’t exactly having it’s finest season…
------------
First. Brandon Lloyd had one of the most athletic catches I've ever seen this past Sunday.
Second, I think the success of a player like EJ Gaines lends itself to the notion that in this league, you either got it, or you don’t. Not that development in some positions is a matter of time, but players like Gaines prove that if you’re good at football, it translates to the NFL. Those of us that were patient with Quick saw the flashes that showed he had what it takes to play in this league. Has little to do with the thread, just an observation.
--------------
I’ve been pondering: Is it possible that Austin Davis success is because of players like Quick? My thinking is that both were 2nd/3rd string guys – practiced together. Stacy was originally a backup, Cunningham his backup and now all of the sudden Austin Davis, Brian Quick and all these players are coming out as starters together.

Just a thought. Having a receiver you can trust is a great thing as a QB.
--------------
Derek Carrier
He’s been a pleasant surprise as the 2nd best pass catching te on the team. I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays on the field when Vernon returns, passing Disappointing McDonald on the depth chart. Derek made a heck of a good catch against KC and has pretty much snagged everything that has come in his direction.

Perhaps most surprisingly, Colin passes him the ball 2-3 times a game.
------------
What's up with Crabtree? Dude has been a non-factor.
------------
Nagging injuries
His feet are the latest culprit.

However, despite the fact that he’s not playing as well as we might hope, he still has 25 receptions and 246 yards. In light of the fact that we actually have 4 decent wr’s that’s not so bad. Also, remember that this is one of the NFL’s most run focused teams (27th in pass attempts, 3rd in rushing attempts)

So yeah Crabtree isn’t having a great year, but I wouldn’t call him a non factor. If he was a ram he’d be leading your team in receptions and 2nd in yards and tds (the same as he is for us).
------------
I can't believe that Lloyd wasn't able to find a team last season
My dad and I were both wondering why the Niners or any other team didn’t sign him up last season, dude still looks like a legit #2 or 3 WR
------------
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10...ams-austin-davis-quarterback-pff-grades-stats

49ers vs. Rams: An early look at quarterback Austin Davis
By David Fucillo@NinersNation on Oct 8 2014

20141005_pjc_se7_225.JPG.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

The St. Louis Rams will send out second-year quarterback Austin Davis on Monday against the San Francisco 49ers. We take a look at some early stats.

The San Francisco 49ers travel to face the St. Louis Rams on Monday Night Football, and PFF's Jeff Deeney was kind enough to provide an early preview of the Rams. For this first article, I wanted to focus on Austin Davis. We'll likely have a scouting report on Davis later this week, but for now, here is a rundown of some of his numbers.

Davis will be making his third straight start for the Rams. The second year quarterback opened the season backing up Shaun Hill, but took over the job in Week 1. Hill suffered an injury, and Davis took the job and ran with it. After an ugly Week 1 for the entire team, the Rams have started to turn things around on offense. After scoring six points in Week 1, the Rams have averaged 26 points per game the last three games.

Davis is currently averaging, 7.9 yards per attempt, which is tied for seventh in the NFL. He has completed 50 percent of his attempts of 20+ yards downfield. On such throws, he is 11 of 22 for 346 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, and a 107.2 passer rating. PFF runs a stat called Accuracy Percentage, which is the completion percentage, factoring in dropped passes. Davis has an accuracy percentage of 59.1, which is second among quarterbacks with double digit attempts over 20 yards.

Davis has been pressured on 40.4 percent of his dropbacks, which is tops among any quarterback with 100+ dropbacks. When Davis faces a blitz, he has a 67.4 passer rating, and -1.8 PFF grade. When he is not blitzed, he has a 109.0 passer rating this season and +4.7 PFF grade. PFF ranks St. Louis 30th in pass blocking efficiency. This combines sacks, hits, and hurries relative to how many times a line is in pass protection. Football Outsiders ranks the Rams line 25th in their own adjusted sack rate metric. Adjusted sack rate gives sacks plus intentional grounding penalties per pass attempt, adjusted for down, distance, and opponent.

It's safe to say the 49ers might want to send a little extra pressure. The 49ers don't blitz nearly as much as other teams, so we'll see if they mix it up a bit this week given Davis's struggles against blitzes.
--------------
Brights lights of MNF on a 3rd string 2nd year guy
it could go really really badly for the Rams…or even worse for the Niners.

I’ve gotten more and more faith in Fangio, especially this year…Me thinks he’ll get this defense ready and Austin will need to play out of his mind to even keep it respectable.
------------
Don’t let us get beat by another 2nd string quarterback.

I haven’t seen much tape on him, but his numbers aren’t too bad.
-----------
This isn't a second string Qb
It’s actually a 3rd behind Bradford and Hill. And his number are better than Kaepernick. He has more yards, same number of completions in less throws. He has less picks. Kaepernick does have only ONE more td than him. Kap has played 5 games and this dude has played 3 1/2 (Hill started the 1st one) This is no walk in the park for our team!
-----------
I sure hope Fangio doesn't take the Rams for granted
I hope he blitzes more often than usual to force turnovers and possibly a FIRST SACKfor Lynch!
--------
Meh
He’s had big games against Tampa’s pathetic defense, Dallas’ patch-work secondary, and was a garbage-time monster mode last week against Philly because they were down 34-7 and went into Madden mode to give them some respectability.

49ers secondary have given up 1 TD/ 3 INT through the air in the last two games. Smith and Foles had a completion % of 53.3 and 48.8 respectively.

Fisher has no idea what he’s doing in St Louis, and even less with their QB’s. That’s not about to change anytime soon.

They only thing making this game closer than it should be is Roman’s bi-polar playcalling.
---------
Pressures
are not only caused or limited by the OL being good or bad. You should also consider how many plays are passes downfield that take more time to develop. Like a secondary that sometimes can’t cover a receiver for long periods of time, the OL sometimes can’t pass block for longer periods.
Some QBs are slow to make decisions and hold onto the ball too long as well.
---------
The Niners will never get another sack until they let Tank play or Aldon comes back.
---------
I say bring the blitz from all areas (corner, safety, LB), mix it up.
Time to baptize this rookie QB.
---------
Jail break blitz on the very first play
if we can slam him hard enough early…we won’t EVEN have to blitz the rest of the game…kid will be seeing ghosts all night long
-----------
Question for Rams fans: is beating both Niners and Sea this year worth giving up a top 3 pick in next year's draft?
I know Rams are used to getting a top 3 pick every draft…so maybe the magnitude of the question doesn’t apply

Penguin.

Rookie
We have solid corners. That is it on defense. Besides Aaron Donald. We done goofed.

38-21 Niners.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10/7/6943625/49ers-fans-in-st-louis-this-weekend

49ers fans in St Louis this weekend!!!
By @JayNovel on Oct 7 2014

Alright folks!!! Where the hell are we meeting?!?!?

I've spoken with quite a few people on twitter and they recommended a dining spot on Monday evening before the game.

As of right now the only spot that's been mentioned is:

Pappy's Smokehouse 4pm Monday night!!

How do you all feel about invading the joint?!?!

Anyone going to be there Sunday night?! There any fun places to hang for the Sunday Night game?

I'll be down there with my girlfriend, she's a cheese head, but she'll be wearing San Fran colors this weekend!

Leave your twitter info below and we'll all make sure we get in touch this weekend and storm the gates of the Edward Jones dome!!

Twitter - @Jaynovel
-----------
I am the Faithful dude who is organizing the 49ers get-together at Pappy’s Smokehouse at 4pm. I am from Reno Nevada (where Kap went to college) and I go to most every game, home and away. I suggest getting there slightly early (3:30pm or so).

Looking forward to the takeover of St. Louis!!!
----------
I’ll be there with a buddy of mine. First time in St. Louis so I don’t really know where to go. I know I’ll be checking out the Anheuser Bush Brewery on Monday before going for the BBQ. Can’t wait for this. First game this year. Driving from Iowa.
---------
I’ll be the dude in the camo pants, red 49ers cap and white Crabtree jersey. J-Doggz!!!!
---------
I'll be hosting a tail-gate in honor of the 49'ers-
It will be in the Dollar Thrift Store parking lot…..Out of the back of my Yugo…..with cow-piles for charcoal……serving up deep fat fried Crow……and warm Keystone beer-

darnit….C’mon David! don’t ban me just for this…..
---------
I'll be at the game dressed as a gold miner in the nosebleed sections.
There’s really no excuse for Missouri Niner fans to miss this game. Stubhub has tickets for $9.
----------
My wonderful woman and I will be in section 154 row HH
----------
I’ll be in section 143 Row A. I bought these months ago before the season as a birthday gift for myself. Can’t wait to see the team win!
----------
Section 349 Rows I&H
We’re coming down from Iowa with a group of 12! Looking forward to it!
----------
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10...preview-vernon-davis-nick-moody-anthony-davis

49ers injury report: A look at Week 5 injuries and the pre-game injury report
By David Fucillo@NinersNation on Oct 8 2014

20140617_jla_ax5_446.jpg.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Kelley L Cox-USA TODAY Sports

The 49ers will be back at on-field practice on Thursday given the Monday Night Football matchup. Here is a preview of the injury report in advance of that.

The San Francisco 49ers face off against the St. Louis Rams on Monday Night Football this week, which means we will not have the first practice participation report until Thursday afternoon. With that in mind, I thought I would put together a sort of injury report preview. The idea will be to look back at Week 5 injuries and the Week 5 pre-game injury report to see what we might expect heading into this weekend. The pre-game injury report are listed in order of doubtful, questionable and probable from last week. I took a look at NFI and PUP players yesterday.

Week 5 injuries
Joe Staley (leg)
: The 49ers left tackle left Sunday's game for one play. There was some discussion that he might be working on his ankle. A week earlier he left the Eagles game with what appeared to be some cramps. In that instance, he also returned after missing one play. During his brief absence each time, Alex Boone moved to left tackle, and Joe Looneymoved in at right guard

Week 6: He is unlikely to show up on the injury report, and if he does, it will be as "full participation".

Nick Moody (hamstring): The 49ers special teamer suffered a hamstring injury, and I don't believe he returned to the game. The 49ers signedBubba Ventrone this week, so it is possible it is related to this injury. However, the 49ers special teams coverage units have been a bit inconsistent this season, so it is possible the 49ers are just looking for some additional help for that group.

Week 6: I think he ends up on the injury report, but we have no idea to what level that will be.

Week 5 pre-game injury report
C Marcus Martin (knee)
: Participated in practice last week for the first time since his knee injury. He was listed as limited all three days, and was "doubtful" on the final report. That is an upgrade from previous weeks in which he was listed as "out" heading into the weekend. We've got some discussion from socalisteph on his medical status.

Week 6: He'll be on the injury report again, likely as a limited participant throughout the week. I imagine he will be doubtful again, but maybe we see him climb up to questionable.

CB Tramaine Brock (toe): Still dealing with a turf toe injury. He has sat out practice every week since injuring his toe in Week 1. He returned to on-field rehab work, which appears to be a step forward.

Week 6: I would not be surprised if we saw him listed as limited. He will once again be questionable, and I don't think he plays this week, but he is making progress. The 49ers have a bye after their Week 7 game with theDenver Broncos, so maybe the 49ers just hold him out through the bye.

T Anthony Davis (knee, ankle): Suffered a lower leg injury in Week 4 when Colin Kaepernick was sacked into the back of his leg. He is listed as having a knee and ankle injury, but all reports have focused on the knee issue. He did not practice last week, and missed the game after being listed as questionable. Davis said on Wednesday that it was an MCL sprain.

Week 6: As discussed earlier today, there is a good chance Davis sits out this week, and potentially is not back until after the 49ers Week 8 bye.

TE Vernon Davis (back): Took a hit to the back during the team's Week 4 win over the Philadelphia Eagles. He did not practice last week, and after being listed as questionable on Friday said there was a small chance he would play on Sunday. He did not play.

Week 6: My guess is we see him listed as limited in practice throughout this week. I think he plays on Monday, but it will require him getting in some practice. I'm more optimistic about Vernon than Anthony.

TE Vance McDonald (knee): Suffered a knee injury in Week 2, and was subsequently inactive Week 3 and 4. He was limited in practice all last week and was questionable on Friday, but he was active on Sunday.

Week 6: He is likely still to be listed on the injury report, but 49ers fans should expect him to be back on the field once again. The question is how involved he will be in the passing game.

S Eric Reid (hamstring): Suffered a hamstring strain on Darren Sprolespunt return touchdown. He came off the field after the play and threw down his helmet, but he was back in the game on the next defensive series. He was listed as limited throughout practice last week and questionable on the final injury report.

Week 6: Reid played last week, so he should be good to go for this week. He will probably be listed on the injury report this week, but he should be probable and play this Monday.

DT Ian Williams (ankle): Added to the Week 5 injury report on Friday. Williams was not listed on Wednesday or Thursday, but then sat out Friday's practice and was listed as questionable. This would indicate a mid-week injury, but he played on Sunday and was generally solid once again.

Week 6: I suppose he could end up on the report once again this week, but he should be good to go to play on Monday.

S Antoine Bethea (ankle): Added to the injury report in Week 4 with an ankle injury. He had practiced Wednesday and Thursday, but like Williams (only a week earlier), he suffered a mid-week injury and was added to the report. He was listed as questionable after sitting out that Friday practice. This past week, he was limited all week and was listed as probable for Week 5.

Week 6: He has played the last two weeks in spite of the injury designation, and I don't expect that to change. He might be listed on the report again this week, but it is only precautionary.

WR Michael Crabtree (foot): A week after a quadricep injury landed Crabtree on the Week 4 injury report, he was listed as a full participant and probable for Week 5 with a foot injury. He suffered the injury during the 49ers Week 4 win over the Eagles, leaving the game in the first quarter. He went to the locker room, returned and played the rest of the game. We had some discussion on this from socalisteph last week.

Week 6: Crabtree was a full participant last week, and should be the same this week, if not removed entirely from the report.

RB Frank Gore (back): Listed as probable each of the last two weeks, and a full participant in practice both weeks. There has been no discussion of the injury, but it is likely just some in-season wear and tear.

Week 6: I suspect we see Gore listed again. Gore was a bit slow to his feet in his final run this past Sunday, so I imagine we once again see him on the injury report. But he'll play on Monday.

DE Tony Jerod-Eddie (shoulder): Listed as limited throughout practice last week, and probable heading into the Chiefs game. There has been no specifics on the injury.

Week 6: He might be listed on the report again, but he will play on Sunday as one of the primary reserves along the defensive line.

P Andy Lee (right ankle): The 49ers punter suffered an ankle injury when his punt attempt was blocked in the end zone by the Eagles. He sat out the team's Wednesday practice last week, but was a full participant on Thursday and Friday.

Week 6: There is a chance the ankle injury keeps him on the injury report for another week, but he could just as well not be listed this week. Either way, he'll be good to go for Week 6.

DE Justin Smith (not injury related): Since Week 2, the 49ers have given Smith each Wednesday off. He returns to practice as a full participant on Thursday and Friday, but the fact that he sits Wednesday means he is listed as probable each week.

Week 6: I suspect he will continue to get the Wednesday off each week through the end of the season. At this point, there are no concerns.
---------
Let’s assume that Reid was "working through something" and he can play but may be not at 100%.

would it make sense to give him a game off to rest the hamstring, and let the Dahl/Ward combo play S against the Rams?

Obviously, we can’t afford to lose to the Rams with Peyton Manning looming on Sunday night in week 7. At the same time, having Reid healthy would be extremely important as we face Peyton (road), Eli (road), Brees (road) and Wilson (TNF at home) in a 6-game span. A nagging hamstring injury could hamstrung him and our Secondary.

Besides, I really want to see if Cox can maintain a high level of performance as a slot CB. If so, he can can move there when Brock returns. I also want to see Ward at S to see what he can do in that role.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Pappy's is great bbq but if they show up there at 4 pm they're gonna be sad. Will have to stand in a long long line and chances are that at least some of the meats will be sold out for the day. The inside dope, for you Rams fans, is if you want to go to Pappy's show up as close to 11 am as possible. The line gets long real fast (by 11:30) and they will just go until they sell out of meat. The ribs are to die for.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
They should change their dinner plans to 7 30. There's nothing else going on in STL that they'd want to see anyways.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
The 9ers sure do have a lot of injuries... I hope they get to pappys and all the food is gone! I really feel like the rams will win this game!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10...k-gore-close-losses-tavon-austin-austin-davis

Jeff Fisher talks Frank Gore, close losses, Tavon Austin, Austin Davis
By David Fucillo@NinersNation on Oct 9 2014

20131201_kkt_st3_025.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

Rams head coach Jeff Fisher conducted a conference call on Thursday with Bay Area media. He was complimentary of Frank Gore and the 49ers wide receivers. He also discussed Tavon Austin's injuries, and the emergence of QB Austin Davis. We have a transcript.

The San Francisco 49ers face the St. Louis Rams on Monday, which means today marked the weekly conference call with the opposing head coach. Jeff Fisher had a chance to discuss the Rams recent close losses, the development of Austin Davis, Tavon Austin's struggles, Frank Gore and more. I've posted the transcript below, and you can listen to the audio here.

Feelings after a couple of close losses:

Well you have to put them behind you. You can't dwell on them. You learn from them and you move on. There's some good things that happened in both the games. There's a couple good quarters that were played. We just have to become more consistent. I was proud of the way they battled back last week. The game's important to them, it was evident. Everybody was set to leave the building, but they hung in there.

What are some observations of the 49ers wins:

They're the 49ers, they're playing well. Kap's playing well, they got the run game going. Their defense is very, very disciplined, they're not giving up plays. They're doing some good things on special teams. It's a really good football team.

Getting back to the ground game where 49ers find success:

The run game, and the play action game. A few weeks ago, when there was a lot of no-back passing, it was effective for them against Arizona. But the run game, the play action game, it keeps you ahead of the sticks. It keeps your third downs manageable in that 2 to 6 range, and Kap's so good at it. He's going to convert those and keep the offense off the field.

On Frank Gore:

He's an outstanding runner. There's not been any drop off. He started this year like he finished last year. He's the same runner, works very well without the ball. Really good in protection. He's kind of the nerve center of that offense. It revolves around him. He's an unselfish player, hard to defend.

On Rams pass rush struggles:

No, I don't have anything for you. I would think that the one sack over four games, I would think that probably we are gonna have more than four when the season's over. We're getting close, we missed some opportunities, the ball's coming out...Obviously we have to do a better job, and we miss Chris.

On sticking with Austin Davis over Shaun Hill:

Shaun started the opener, played the first half, injured his thigh. Austin came back in the second half with very few practice reps. In particular because Shaun needed the reps because for quite some time was Sam's backups. So, Shaun got the reps Week 1, Austin didn't. And then Week 2 we go down to Tampa and he's gotten a full week of practice reps, and he won that game, he played very well. With the practice reps he's just getting better and better. He has a better feel for what we're doing, he's trusting what we're doing. As I said here a week ago, Shaun didn't lose it, it's just Austin earned it. Been pleased with the body of work thus far. He has to get better, as everyone around him has to do that. He's been productive for us.

On what Davis has that allowed him to step in so easily:

He understands the offense, this is his third year in the system now. He got to watch Sam, and he got to watch Kellen last year. When Austin has gotten his opportunity, unfortunately it's been in the second half of preseason games, and he's playing with guys that probably aren't on the roster. This is his first opportunity this year to play with the supporting cast. He's trusting them, they're making plays for him, and he's got a good feel for what he's doing. He's got some mobility, he can extend plays, move around the pocket, you need to be able to do that these days.

On Tavon Austin not taking off:

Well, he had an MCL and missed some time. He went down somewhat early in the Tampa Bay game. He had made a few plays, we were trying to get him the ball early, so he played a game and a half before the injury. And then came back last week, and it was evident he is better, but is not at 100 percent yet. I'd have to say most of the lack of production has to do with his injury history. He had the high ankle in the last part of the season last year, not that he is injury prone because those were two unique situations. But I believe when he is back to 100 percent he is going to be productive for us.

On why quarterbacks completing high percentage of passes:

I don't think it's a rule thing. I think the talent level is outstanding right now for the most part across the league. I think everybody's doing the same things, the quick passing game, the play action passing game, the check downs. Defenses are trying to keep the ball in front of them, particularly because we've got some mobile quarterbacks in this league. And when you do that, the completion percentage is going to go up.

On 49ers receiving corps:

Just look at the plays they're making. The defensive staff was visiting last night about it, and they're just wow, this is a real solid group. They've got the deep speed, they've got Anquan that can make all the plays. And watching Stevie, and Brandon's catch. Brandon's always been that kind of that guy that can just make great catches out of frame. He's got great body control, he's very difficult to press on the line of scrimmage. It's an outstanding group. It's the best group (from the 49ers) we've faced since I've been here.

On 49ers deep speed:

Well, Stevie can run. Michael can run. That's not a problem. They can get down the field. Obviously Vernon can run. Puts a lot of pressure on your defense.

On 49ers offensive line:

Well, I didn't see any problems in Week 1. They're very well coached and they're just playing well together. The appearance is they do a lot, but whatever they are doing, they're doing it right. There are very, very few mistakes. They all are excellent run blockers. They believe in the run scheme, and they can pass protect. It's just a very well coached group, I'll just say that. Mike [Solari]'s done a great job with them.
------------
the Nfc west has the best coaches.
-----------
Nice to hear some confirmation on what Niners already know about the WR corp
But we’re not seeing the production.

It’s like they are awesome…but each guy takes a turn a week at being awesome so it’s more like we have a great rotation and we’re definitely got mad depth…but we’re not seeing the "over-whelm a secondary" type of an effect.

Sometimes i think we got to get the ball in the our play makers hands…get these these guys going early so by mid game everyone has had a taste and are hungry to put the game away.
-------------
tough to "overwhelm a secondary" when you QB has no time to wait for routes to develop.
-------------
a 2 step drop basically negates pass rush…yet almost every passing play has Kap holding the ball 5+ seconds
------------
Part of the problem is that there are just not enough targets to go around… Either we throw 40 times and run 10 or we throw 20 times and run 30… packers, saints, broncos… its the same with them.. depending on the flow of the game..

As you notice in the games that we LOST versus the games that we WON… the games that we lost had very few rushes and relied on the pass… the games that we won had Kaep limited in the passing game and we rushed over 30 times..

The other part IMO is Roman.. i have little to no faith in his play calling and decision making. He has no idea how to use any of his players on offense.. the day that he gets picked up as a head coach is hopefully our coming out party..

The final part is Kap.. he is still growing as a QB. Even with all these amazing targets he is still making rookie mistakes… staring down the first read etc etc.. the bears and cards game was a prime example of us trying to become the packers.. trying to go pass heavy… didn’t work very well…

i also think the offensive line woes are a mixed bag… Kap does hold onto the ball to long… hardly ever taking a 3 step drop and getting the ball out quickly.. it also appears that he is going through his progressions but it takes him longer… maybe he isn’t seeing the field very well .. he’s still progressing and hopefully he’ll pull it together..

If you think about it… how bad would things be if we didn’t have the receivers that we have…Lloyd has made some amazing catches… stevie as well… boldin and crabtree have been making ridiculous 3rd down catches for years that normal receivers would not be able to make.. IMO i think the receivers have been great and Kap needs to play better… hopefully its growing pains..
-----------
Fisher clearly doesn't want anyone on the 49ers feeling like they have anything to prove
It sounds exactly like what Harbaugh says about players.
-----------
Especially the way he is praising the performance of our OL.
He says they can pass block, but leaves out the rest of that sentence…"just not very well of late."
------------
I like Fisher
Why did he have a call with the Bay Area media though?
I don’t remember reading any other coaches having such a call.

Anyways, he seems like a real classy coach- I wish he was in another division because we are going to have to
CRUSH HIM and the Rams
-----------
The head coach and 1 player do a league mandated conference call with the opposing city’s media. Harbaugh does it every week for the other team’s writers too.
------------
Really impressed with their team stepping up through the challenges.
Zac and Benny really know how to hit the holes and make their own space to run in.
Austin has really stepped up as a QB and seems to be getting better each week.
Brian Quick has been a true WR in the scheme and is leading the way for them to make it far into the season.

And, while their Def has not gotten a lot of sacks, they are playing well as a team and I think in a few more games they will gel into a much better unit.

There, said nice things so as not to have locker room material for them to point to and get momentum going with.

Rams fans shadowing this thread will be all:
fF2KUXJ.gif

-------------
not to take anything away from the rams, but...
minnesota
tampa bay
dallas
phily

are those teams that are playing a high level of defense? especially against the pass? not really

so, there’s been a lot of praise on davis, and some is deserved, but i think it will be much tougher against the 49ers and other good defenses. my guess is as long as the 49ers don’t shoot themselves in the foot (or face like some games) that this game should be controlled through all 4 quarters
------------
Austin Davis
I became a fan of him last night when I read his wiki. Best QB in his high schools history, and he didn’t get a scholarship. He walks onto his college team then starts as a redshirt frehsman and then becomes the best QB in his school’s history. UDFA and now he is starting in the NFL. He didn’t exactly snatch the starting job away from Bradford, but it’s a cool story.
-------------
sounds like we’ll get to face romo 2.0 twice a year :)
------------
The smoke he's blowing about our OL makes me wonder about his candor about our WRs.
But I did notice he mentions 3 of our 4 vet WR by name in that first response regarding "wow" impressions by their D coaches.
------------
fully believe that this will be the 49ers coming out party...
Austin has been impressive at times… against undisciplined defenses.. and yet he still manages to turn the ball over as most young QBs do…

Austin will have at least 2 turnovers in this game and their defense is a hot mess… 34-17.
-----------
I'll use the term "hope", as opposed to "fully believe"...
Our O and ST have been too erratic for me to get to your level.

We need to get Frank over 100 again, and do some serious blitzing on this rookie. If we do those 2 things and not have too many ST coverage issues we should be able to get the W.

My expectations are just trying to string some Ws together, while the OL gels, and until we get Aldon back.
-------------
Rams are 29th in the league against the run…
they do no have a pass rush…

I agree on our previous performances but the Rams are not good. Gore should be able to run wild and Kap will hit 200 yards passing.

One thing that I don’t fully agree about is serious blitzing on the rookie…. thats what we "tried" to do against stanton and he burned us… we need to just be disciplined on defense. Stacy is hurt so they are down to Benny Cunningham. Davis WILL turn the ball over if you’re patient. We need to get pressure with 4 guys and occasionally dial up a DB or LB blitz occasionally..

I also think that Hyde is going to have a big game on Sunday…

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
There they go again with that wishful thinking shit. I so badly want the Rams to kick the shit out of the 49ers. Not just beat them but embarrass the hell out of them because if we happen to win by a few points all we will hear is how we had to play our best and we barely beat them when they played their worst football of the season. Hell, I can see their fans using that excuse even if we beat the hell out of them. LOL