St. Louis Rams: Bringing Back Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing to remember, Jrry, is that QBs always rise up the boards. If he was playing perfectly the Rams would not have a shot at him because he'd go top 3 with his talent. Meanwhile, look back at his film from last year, he really had an outstanding, underrated season. The dude is immensely talented.

Our range of picks in the first round we won't have a shot at Mariota, and the 2nd QB taken is likely Winston who will also go well before the Rams are up. The teens we're looking at the next tier of QBs which I do think will include Petty. He is far superior to Cook, for example, and many of the others who are the potential risers for that range of picks.

For those who are thinking Bradford gets another shot, well, it's a pipe dream. Rams are going to draft a QB to compete with him and Davis, or maybe just Davis. Only other real option is signing a FA QB and overpaying from a garbage class of free agents, or trying to pry an underappreciated QB from another team. Of the options the draft offers the Rams the best balance for next year and the future.

Like I said, I'll put a bet(ROD $) down right now. He's not going Round 1. Petty has way too many issues and his age/injury history will work against him.

I don't want Petty. I really am having trouble getting behind anyone in this class outside of the top 2. Even those guys, I have my doubts about.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have him rated higher than me. His back shows damage in the team physicals I can see UDFA.

No, I'm with you. I don't want the guy. Gimmicky offense, doesn't handle blitzes and pressure well, far less effective since his back injury, old for a young QB, and hasn't been accurate this year.

Beyond Winston and Mariota, I just am having trouble with all these QBs. And I still have major reservations about Winston and Mariota.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
No, I'm with you. I don't want the guy. Gimmicky offense, doesn't handle blitzes and pressure well, far less effective since his back injury, old for a young QB, and hasn't been accurate this year.

Beyond Winston and Mariota, I just am having trouble with all these QBs. And I still have major reservations about Winston and Mariota.
I feel your pain. I don't know if I could pull the trigger on either of the top two considering there would be better talent on the board. Just guessing, but Winston won't get beyond the Jets if Oak. does not trade his rights away. Then Jets take MM. If Mariota falls in to 8- 12 range I can see the Eagles moving up to take him.
I'd take Hundley in the 2nd if a true 1st rd player didn't slip. If I did take him , no way he plays next year. 15 is total development.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If there was no Bradford that year then Bulger would have got another year.
I thought the bashing on Bulger back in the day was ridiculous and appreciate everything he did for us, but I don't think this was the case at all. He had already been... well... Bulgerized by then. He probably would have been gone in 2009 except for cap reasons (although I was pulling for him).

In 2010, it was obviously time to move on. Without Bradford, I think you see a free agent QB and/or a second round guy after the Rams take Suh.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I thought the bashing on Bulger back in the day was ridiculous and appreciate everything he did for us, but I don't think this was the case at all. He had already been... well... Bulgerized by then. He probably would have been gone in 2009 except for cap reasons (although I was pulling for him).

In 2010, it was obviously time to move on. Without Bradford, I think you see a free agent QB and/or a second round guy after the Rams take Suh.
I'm with you. He was better than most gave him credit for. He was a gamer. he took a beating. I've often thought what would have happened if there wasn't the Bradford option. Yeah Suh. People complain about SB's contract, what would they have said about paying Suh almost as much.
Not sure who would have been the 2nd rd QB, Maybe McCoy who would have been okay in Shurmur's O, but no upside.
I think maybe Bulger would have come back at least one more year since he would have been the about the best available. Maybe with a pay cut.
While we're re-writing history, if Linehan hadn't cut Fitz he might have taken over for Bulger and won enough games so Bradford wouldn't have ever been a option. So in other words same S creek different canoe.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I'm with you. He was better than most gave him credit for. He was a gamer. he took a beating. I've often thought what would have happened if there wasn't the Bradford option. Yeah Suh. People complain about SB's contract, what would they have said about paying Suh almost as much.
Not sure who would have been the 2nd rd QB, Maybe McCoy who would have been okay in Shurmur's O, but no upside.
I think maybe Bulger would have come back at least one more year since he would have been the about the best available. Maybe with a pay cut.
While we're re-writing history, if Linehan hadn't cut Fitz he might have taken over for Bulger and won enough games so Bradford wouldn't have ever been a option. So in other words creek different canoe.
In the end,I couldn't stand Spags or Linehan.Those two clowns were in over their head.Spags and his 4 pillars nonsense kept us from picking up good players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know but I just figured you needed the laugh.

I am watching the Oregon-Utah game. Trust me, I got plenty of laughs. :LOL:
bc25c6f0-67c8-11e4-9a2a-7fbba332d09e_UTAH-GIF-1.gif

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Fix the line and that will be the least of your worries.
Agreed but that's a whole other problem the issue is whether or not the Rams should bring back Sam Bradford.But you are right about the OL he or any QB we get will need a better line to succeed.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I think the hating on Davis is ridiculous. It's getting on my nerves. Do people realize that we've been playing top 5 D's on a weekly basis? Don't you think it's quite a coincidence that his play declined as soon as we started playing legit D's?

Elite defenses can even make guys like Peyton Manning look like garbage. Give the guy a chance and let's see what he can do against average teams. Not to mention, the pass pro has been pretty brutal...if it was Bradford in there, everyone would be ragging on the oline and few would be calling out Sam.

I like Bradford. I've backed him from pre-2010 draft till the '14 preseason. But some of you guys are out of your element if you think he's our future. How can the Rams put faith in that knee? I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to be in this same boat a year from now because we put too much faith in a guy that has proven time and time again that he can't stay on the field.

And let's face it... Even when healthy, his play was just "pretty good." Nothing more. Our situation isn't exactly like Denver banking on Manning coming back from his nerve issue, where the upside was easily worth the risk. This is putting our 2015 season on the line for a guy who's upside is 25 TD passes and 3,500 yards... not exactly irreplaceable production, so why gamble?

As for bringing back Bradford?

A No. 2 at best at a (very) reduced price. We need a starter who can step on the field every week. We need consistency at the position, and Bradford flat out can't provide that.

Even if he comes back as our starter next season and has a Pro Bowl year... do you really have any faith that he can remain a 16-game starter for 8+ seasons beyond 2015? Because I don't.

The Rams need another answer at QB, and looks like the top QBs from the draft will be out of reach. For the sake of the offense, we better hope Davis shapes up and proves he's a legit starter. We really need him to work out for us.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
While we're re-writing history, if Linehan hadn't cut Fitz he might have taken over for Bulger and won enough games so Bradford wouldn't have ever been a option. So in other words same S creek different canoe.
People use that contract of Bradfords to further their agenda.