St. Louis Rams: Bringing Back Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If we want to draft a game 1 starter at QB it has to be Winston. Might even be a push for him. He will be gone long before the Rams pick. Mariota is a scheme QB. Everything has to fit to what he can do. He busts if a team doesn't. Though his mobility would be a asset playing behind the Rams Oline.
I would like to see Hundley and Winston switch teams to fairly judge both of them.
Hundley is a 2nd rd talent that's going to be this years fast rising hot pick. He needs a year to sit and learn and mature, But even then he's a reach. Some idiot will draft him maybe in top ten and expect him to start game one. Poor kid.

The rest are 2nd and 3rd rd talents that top side is average. Think Davis.
It's the Oline that needs fixed first. The left side is set. The center and right side is a disaster. Even Barks if he keeps having issues with speed rushers need to be replaced. Nothing really behind them that can stay healthy.

Winston or throw high assets at the Oline, no mid round, trash and keep and or bring in the best QB's that can reasonably be obtained and let the QB issue work it's self out in camp.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Rookie QB's take a while to develope, too. People want to win now with this team. Bradford is the only win now solution we have.
100% Correct.Some people think drafting a quarterback solves the problem immediately.Shows how wrong some people can be.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Petty is my preferred QB in this draft, the more I watch of him the more I like him. Yeah, he's coming from a spread offense but that's not his fault, and he really makes quick decisions and gets the ball out quick with a nice arm and accuracy. Unfortunately he'll probably be one of the top 3 QBs taken and the Rams will find themselves somewhere from 8-15 and hoping he falls to them.

Mariota, btw, would be fine too, but I think Petty is going to be a quicker study in the passing game at the NFL level. Mariota has all the tools but he drops his eyes more which is going to cause him problems in the NFL where you have to keep your focus downfield.

If I'm Snead... I move up if necessary to get Petty and let him run this offense if he can show an ability to get through a couple reads behind a play action attack. He would significantly upgrade our passing game immediately IMO.

I'll make a bet right now that Petty doesn't go Round 1.

Petty is fighting to be a 2nd day pick. He has not played well this year, has a bad back, and is old(will be 24 in May).

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
If we want to draft a game 1 starter at QB it has to be Winston. Might even be a push for him. He will be gone long before the Rams pick. Mariota is a scheme QB. Everything has to fit to what he can do. He busts if a team doesn't. Though his mobility would be a asset playing behind the Rams Oline.
I would like to see Hundley and Winston switch teams to fairly judge both of them.
Hundley is a 2nd rd talent that's going to be this years fast rising hot pick. He needs a year to sit and learn and mature, But even then he's a reach. Some idiot will draft him maybe in top ten and expect him to start game one. Poor kid.

The rest are 2nd and 3rd rd talents that top side is average. Think Davis.
It's the Oline that needs fixed first. The left side is set. The center and right side is a disaster. Even Barks if he keeps having issues with speed rushers need to be replaced. Nothing really behind them that can stay healthy.

Winston or throw high assets at the Oline, no mid round, trash and keep and or bring in the best QB's that can reasonably be obtained and let the QB issue work it's self out in camp.
A lot thought the same about Bulger when we drafted Bradford now the same people are saying that about Bradford.It's like a ridiculous revolving door kind of like the coaching here.We've had 4 coaches since 2006.The inconsistency needs to stop.It takes time to rebuild because of the win now mentality with no patience.

Last edited:

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Petty is my preferred QB in this draft, the more I watch of him the more I like him. Yeah, he's coming from a spread offense but that's not his fault, and he really makes quick decisions and gets the ball out quick with a nice arm and accuracy. Unfortunately he'll probably be one of the top 3 QBs taken and the Rams will find themselves somewhere from 8-15 and hoping he falls to them.

Mariota, btw, would be fine too, but I think Petty is going to be a quicker study in the passing game at the NFL level. Mariota has all the tools but he drops his eyes more which is going to cause him problems in the NFL where you have to keep your focus downfield.

If I'm Snead... I move up if necessary to get Petty and let him run this offense if he can show an ability to get through a couple reads behind a play action attack. He would significantly upgrade our passing game immediately IMO.
And that will set the offense back two years.No thanks.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Just what is it that people want Bradford to prove?

That hyper extending your knee on a bad hit because your Oline can't block shouldn't injure the knee? Yeah that never happens to anyone else.

Or that the 14 TDs and 4 Ints in 6+ games with a weak supporting cast is not good enough to win in our division?

Or that 5-2-1 over a year+ in the division isn't good enough?

Just what is it that Bradford needs to prove?

How about the franchise proves they want to protect the guy running the offense that everyone counts on for wins and losses?????

FIX THE OLINE!!!!!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
A lot thought the same about Bulger when we drafted Bradford now the same people are saying that about Bradford.It's like a ridiculous revolving door kind of like the coaching here.We've had 4 coaches since 2006.The inconsistency needs to stop.It takes time to rebuild because of the win now mentality with not patience.
It's not even close to being the same. Bradford was top QB in his class by a mile. He was the right pick over a expensive end of the line Bulger. If there was no Bradford that year then Bulger would have got another year. Players come and go, peices of meat that are shuffled through to the right combination is found.
If they can get Winston turn the Bradford page and move on. But team isn't going to be a top team till they have a much better Oline.
The revolving door was due to poor ownership.
The owner is always the most important force in any organization. They hire the people that hire the people that draft and coach. Rams got it right with Vermeil and that was about it.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
It's not even close to being the same. Bradford was top QB in his class by a mile. He was the right pick over a expensive end of the line Bulger. If there was no Bradford that year then Bulger would have got another year. Players come and go, peices of meat that are shuffled through to the right combination is found.
If they can get Winston turn the Bradford page and move on. But team isn't going to be a top team till they have a much better Oline.
The owner is always the most important force in any organization. They hire the people that hire the people that draft and coach. Rams got it right with Vermeil and that was about it.
He may have been the right pick but as you can see the line is uncertain now as it was back then(those are the similarites) and people are still putting it on the quarterback (another similarity)then as they are now as Bulger had proven he was a winner until the talent level around him deteriorated.We are in agreement with fixing the line.Where we differ is thinking Winston is the answer.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Incidently the Rams have had 3 changes at the DC position and you've seen the effect each year.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Just make sure you draft a Quarterback too and I'm beginning to fall for this kid from Chandler, AZ.
brett-hundley-ucla-bruins-true-blue.jpg

Winston, Mariota, or bust

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Petty is fighting to be a 2nd day pick. He has not played well this year, has a bad back, and is old(will be 24 in May).

The thing to remember, Jrry, is that QBs always rise up the boards. If he was playing perfectly the Rams would not have a shot at him because he'd go top 3 with his talent. Meanwhile, look back at his film from last year, he really had an outstanding, underrated season. The dude is immensely talented.

Our range of picks in the first round we won't have a shot at Mariota, and the 2nd QB taken is likely Winston who will also go well before the Rams are up. The teens we're looking at the next tier of QBs which I do think will include Petty. He is far superior to Cook, for example, and many of the others who are the potential risers for that range of picks.

For those who are thinking Bradford gets another shot, well, it's a pipe dream. Rams are going to draft a QB to compete with him and Davis, or maybe just Davis. Only other real option is signing a FA QB and overpaying from a garbage class of free agents, or trying to pry an underappreciated QB from another team. Of the options the draft offers the Rams the best balance for next year and the future.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He may have been the right pick but as you can see the line is uncertain now as it was back then(those are the similarites) and people are still putting it on the quarterback (another similarity)then as they are now as Bulger had proven he was a winner until the talent level around him deteriorated.We are in agreement with fixing the line.Where we differ is thinking Winston is the answer.
Since I pointed out that Winston will be off the board before the Rams pick..........

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

You have him rated higher than me. His back shows damage in the team physicals I can see UDFA.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
The thing to remember, Jrry, is that QBs always rise up the boards. If he was playing perfectly the Rams would not have a shot at him because he'd go top 3 with his talent. Meanwhile, look back at his film from last year, he really had an outstanding, underrated season. The dude is immensely talented.

Our range of picks in the first round we won't have a shot at Mariota, and the 2nd QB taken is likely Winston who will also go well before the Rams are up. The teens we're looking at the next tier of QBs which I do think will include Petty. He is far superior to Cook, for example, and many of the others who are the potential risers for that range of picks.

For those who are thinking Bradford gets another shot, well, it's a pipe dream. Rams are going to draft a QB to compete with him and Davis, or maybe just Davis. Only other real option is signing a FA QB and overpaying from a garbage class of free agents, or trying to pry an underappreciated QB from another team. Of the options the draft offers the Rams the best balance for next year and the future.
Nice projection but I'll wait and see.I'm not one for proclamations.