Should Rams' Stedman Bailey be fined for his 'nap' celebration?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Bailey broke the rule, they can fine him for it.
You mean like they have successfully fined and/or suspended the last several players? I would actually bet that if they fined him AND Sted wanted to fight it in court, he'd win. It won't happen but it is rules like this that just make me shake my head at the NFL powers that be. No real purpose behind what they do and no real rationale to how they enforce it. I think we all agree that by what the NFL assumes "as a prop" to mean, Sted violated the rule. And yet? Wouldn't the NFL have fined him if they were going to? Way to uniformly enforce your rules NFL. I guess using the ball as a prop wasn't that bad in THIS case. But we reserve the right to enforce it next time. Did the NO player receive a fine after getting flagged for it? Nope.

What I'm saying is that the NFL policies, rules, and enforcement are a joke. They make rules that don't benefit the game and then try to act like they are all about integrity. It's a stupid rule, it is likely legally unenforceable because it is yet another example of ambiguity which the courts hate, it has no real stated purpose (using the ball as a prop), and the NFL is doing its all too familiar job of seat of the pants enforcement of its rules.

My disagreement is that by definition, spiking the ball is using the ball as a prop every bit as much as making a pillow out of it or riding it as if it were a horse. The prop rule was a knee jerk reaction by the NFL to act like they were trying to do right by the fans. Instead, it was lipstick on a pig and only served to make yet another ambiguous rule for the refs to interpret in their own knee jerk fashion. It's a microcosm of Goodhell's mess of an NFL he is creating.

If it is worth making a rule about, it is worth defining and making clear not only what the rule actually is but why it is there.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You mean like they have successfully fined and/or suspended the last several players? I would actually bet that if they fined him AND Sted wanted to fight it in court, he'd win. It won't happen but it is rules like this that just make me shake my head at the NFL powers that be. No real purpose behind what they do and no real rationale to how they enforce it. I think we all agree that by what the NFL assumes "as a prop" to mean, Sted violated the rule. And yet? Wouldn't the NFL have fined him if they were going to? Way to uniformly enforce your rules NFL. I guess using the ball as a prop wasn't that bad in THIS case. But we reserve the right to enforce it next time. Did the NO player receive a fine after getting flagged for it? Nope.

What I'm saying is that the NFL policies, rules, and enforcement are a joke. They make rules that don't benefit the game and then try to act like they are all about integrity. It's a stupid rule, it is likely legally unenforceable because it is yet another example of ambiguity which the courts hate, it has no real stated purpose (using the ball as a prop), and the NFL is doing its all too familiar job of seat of the pants enforcement of its rules.

My disagreement is that by definition, spiking the ball is using the ball as a prop every bit as much as making a pillow out of it or riding it as if it were a horse. The prop rule was a knee jerk reaction by the NFL to act like they were trying to do right by the fans. Instead, it was lipstick on a pig and only served to make yet another ambiguous rule for the refs to interpret in their own knee jerk fashion. It's a microcosm of Goodhell's mess of an NFL he is creating.

If it is worth making a rule about, it is worth defining and making clear not only what the rule actually is but why it is there.
All valid points... especially the inconsistency of the application of the rules in the NFL.

That said, if Bailey tries anything like that again? I'm guessing he doesn't walk away scot-free next time.

So, if you're listening Stedman... knock it off, please.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would actually bet that if they fined him AND Sted wanted to fight it in court, he'd win.

Actually, that's why they pretty much had to fine him. If they didn't fine him for violating the rule, even though it was fairly innocuous, then when somebody did something worse with the ball as a prop they wouldn't be able to fine that player. The reason they keep on losing court cases is inconsistency. By fining Bailey, even a token amount, the next player who celebrates with the ball in a more extreme way has no leg to stand on in terms of arguing against a fine. If they'd let Bailey off, that would be the precedent for it being okay.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think the fact that our rookie RB in his second NFL game acted like he's been around for ten years and our WRs act like every catch is an NFL legend play is a little funny. Should he be fined? Yeah, he broke a rule. Stupid one, but a rule nonetheless. Should he be a little uneasy that the rookie requires no premeditated celebration in the off chance he makes a good play, and instead acts like he expected too? Perhaps. Is it a big deal? Nah.

manmaderam

The one and only
Who cares if he was fined. He makes good money, we won the game, and TD celebrations are fun to watch, except T.O.'s lol

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Actually, that's why they pretty much had to fine him. If they didn't fine him for violating the rule, even though it was fairly innocuous, then when somebody did something worse with the ball as a prop they wouldn't be able to fine that player. The reason they keep on losing court cases is inconsistency. By fining Bailey, even a token amount, the next player who celebrates with the ball in a more extreme way has no leg to stand on in terms of arguing against a fine. If they'd let Bailey off, that would be the precedent for it being okay.
And yet they don't fine the NO running back for using the ball as a prop. If not for the dumbass tweet, there probably wouldn't have been a fine on Sted either. Inconsistency you say?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
What a joke. If you score a touchdown, you should be able to celebrate any way you damn well please. If the other team doesn't like it, they shouldn't have let you score.

I can't believe that Stedman got fined for this.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Let the teams celebrate, just start the clock for the extra point, as soon as they score. That would solve some ridiculous, choreographed stuff, and a penalty, because of the new PAT rule, would really hurt the team, if there was a delay.

I am pro celebration, BTW, but only for sacks, turnovers, and TD's.

My goodness, J. Brown freaking out, every time he touched the ball, was ridiculous.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Let the teams celebrate, just start the clock for the extra point, as soon as they score. That would solve some ridiculous, choreographed stuff, and a penalty, because of the new PAT rule, would really hurt the team, if there was a delay.
Perfect. Pretty hard to argue against that. Of course we can't allow taunting but that would allow players to have a little fun and have no need for silly, useless rules.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Indeed. I wonder if someone will "talk him out of it". Goodhell might be so tired of being gang raped in court that he figures out a way to have it not come out of Sted's pocket. Maybe Khiry Richardson will chip in.
Nah, he doesn't play for the Patriots, so he'll probably just have his fine upheld.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'd like to see Fish tell his players no more celebrating. Period.

Then open up a vine account for them or something where they can make their celebrations after the game. I don't know.

I like to see these guys fired up over big plays and there is so much emotion that happens during those plays.

They deserve to celebrate. But not to the detriment of the team.

Go get the win and then do your dance after.

dhaab

Rookie

Boy, you really knocked it out of the park with this post, RamFan503. I couldn't agree more with your assessment. The NFL has literally stacked their rule book (which is an incredibly big and growing bigger by the day book) with ambiguous rules precisely like this one.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Boy, you really knocked it out of the park with this post, RamFan503. I couldn't agree more with your assessment. The NFL has literally stacked their rule book (which is an incredibly big and growing bigger by the day book) with ambiguous rules precisely like this one.

The rule isn't ambiguous. It fucking silly possibly stupid and hurts the entertainment for fans, but it's very clear.

You can't use the ball as a prop.

You CAn spike it. But you cannot use it as a prop during a celebration.

It isn't difficult........it isn't popular either.

dhaab

Rookie
The rule isn't ambiguous. It freaking silly possibly stupid and hurts the entertainment for fans, but it's very clear.

You can't use the ball as a prop.

You CAn spike it. But you cannot use it as a prop during a celebration.

It isn't difficult........it isn't popular either.

I completely disagree. Using the ball as a prop is just a ridiculous overreaction to some celebration that the league thought was over the top. It's exactly the way the NFL changes their rules year after year.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Sted was fined what something like 8,000 bucks for pretending to sleep using the ball as a pillow. . . Yet Odell only gets a 9,000 dollar fine for punching someone. . . ? Come on now? These two guys make a large difference in pay checks and that does not seems even close to fair. . . What?