Should Rams' Stedman Bailey be fined for his 'nap' celebration?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I have to say I liked the celebration. Thought it was original for sure. I wasn't sure was he was doing and not until the replay did I see it. But I also did not know the rule about using the ball as a prop. A rule is a rule. I too do not like the excessive celebrating that goes on now days (like many have said, act like you have been there or done that before or at least plan on doing it again), but I can not stand the celebrating when you are getting your ass kicked in a game (by the ones getting their asses kicked, including our own RAMS). Wow you just made a big hit or sack or TFL or TD and you go into this big celebration. Really look at the scoreboard dipwad. Make the play get back in the huddle and do it again! Maybe if you made a couple more plays like that one the score might be closer or you might even be winning.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
While I agree rules are rules and should be followed. And a pro should always act like he's been their! Let the players play and have a little Fun at it!! I see nothing over-the-top that Bailey did! the league should forget about it and move on!! Not just fine him because the Press is trying to make a big deal about it!:shades:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It really started with idiotic showboating by Owens and when defenders would dance around the QBs head after a sack. Much like anything, the NFL needs to be logical about this. Set some time limits and or sportsmanlike conduct but let the guys do their spontaneous, quick celebrations after a big play like TDs, sacks, INTs, big runs etc. Quit taking the fun out of the showcase plays. Last night, the NO guy got a penalty for acting like he was riding a horse with the ball. It was quick and really nothing more than someone spiking the ball. It is just getting stupid with the over officiating of the game in general. Let these guys play and give the and players some fun.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
You gotta be shitting me? Fine a guy? Take someones money off them? For what? What's he done wrong? What heinous crime has he committed? Did he hit a QB below the knees or hit a defenseless receiver head to head? No....he laid down on the ball for a second or two. Ridiculous to suggest he should be fined.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Just to put it in some sort of perspective.

I don't recall any outlandish "look at me" celebrations from players such as Isaac Bruce or Marshall Faulk. Yes the "bob-&-weave" was born as a way to show a "team" accomplishment. And we all know how that lead to the NFL banning orchestrated group celebrations.

I guess I fall in the "old school" category as well, because i miss the days of Barry Sanders just handing the ball to the official because "it's not my first time and I plan on it not being my last". So the "act like you've done it before" is how I always coached my players to act.

Isiah58

UDFA
While it may seem petty to prevent the players from doing certain celebratory things after touchdowns, the rules are very specific and the players know what is not allowed. Tre Mason was penalized earlier this year (?) for going to the ground as part of his TD celebration. Stedman did the same thing (in addition to using the ball as a prop), and it could have cost the Rams 15 yards on the kick off. And for what? To act like you are sleeping on the football field? Sorry, I love Bailey but the "nap" act was selfish and careless, and Fisher (who is part of the committee who came up with these absurd rules) did not look very happy about it.

Do you celebration on the sidelines so you do not penalize your team for your "me" time.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
407.gif

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This author will completely change his tune when he sees a player celebrate after scoring, while his team is down 4 touchdowns in the 4th. That's the problem with this whole "should the NFL allow celebrations" discussion. In a perfect world, all celebrations would be cool, come at the right time, and not disrespect anyone. But that's not the reality. You see a crap ton of stupid celebrations at stupid times that disrespect people often.

Unfortunately, the NFL is doing the right thing. I don't wanna see players break dancing on the 35 yard line after making a tackle.

In order for me to be happy with the NFL, they should outlaw all celebrations by teams other than the Rams.
Just let us do it.
Deacon Jones and Jack Youngblood would have beat the snot out of anyone on the Rams doings any sort of dance. Now they get on Dancing With The Stars.
I do like the TD celebrations of the Rams.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

When it happened i was wondering what happened. Was it a TD? Did he drop the ball? Why did he fall, is he injured? Then they showed the replay and i had a Sam eye roll moment. These guys have too much time on their hands planning td celebrations.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
It was a silly celebration but the no flag was the right call. Let them have some fun. The Rams have been watching their opponents celebrate in the End Zone for years. I liked it so much when he caught the ball I jumped up and spilled my drink all over myself. :D

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
But the Rams have got to stop this, IMO. They already have a reputation of playing "chippy"... just act like you've been there before.

I really like Bailey.... but was embarrassed by that move.

I'm with you.

If he'd have gotten a penalty it would have potentially hurt the team, field position, etc. It was a selfish move and Fisher needs to squash this silliness before it costs us a game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
sted should have known better, but he gets so few passes, he temporarily lost his mind....he can sleep on all the footballs he wants if can keep scoring....

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...is-a-good-excuse-to-take-a-nap-004421180.html

Look, we get it: playing football is tiring work. But perhaps the field of play is not the best place for a nap, am I right?

Stedman Bailey of the St. Louis Rams had just scored on a pass from Nick Foles to help the Rams to a victory over the Arizona Cardinals, and decided to offer up his own celebration: a quiet, respectful nap. Technically, it should have drawn a flag, since you're not allowed to use the ball as a prop or go to the ground in celebrations—an asinine rule that has no real purpose other than to quash fun.

Fox Sports rules analyst Mike Pereira believes it will cost Bailey $8,681 for his little nap, and if the NFL does levy that fine, Rams fans should start a Kickstarter to pay the fine:

View: https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/650831438359609345

There's a reason they "play" this "game"...it's supposed to have at least a tiny measure of fun. Don't fine Bailey, NFL. Let the man catch some shuteye in peace.

giphy.gif

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Much ado about nothing.

I get the whole "act like you've been there before" thing....but where does it end? Next it will be "I don't like his bleached dreadlocks, that's a distraction. The "act like you've been...." will be replaced with "look professional".

I don't want to see football robots.
I want to see the drama. Real people playing in front of tens of thousands, making incredible things seem ordinary.... if they can find a way to seperate or express themselves for 5 seconds, it's fine with me. I don't want out of hand Ocho Cinco and TO celebrations all the time, but I do like a quick, clever celebration.... These are people, playing a game.
Hell, I talk more trash than a pirate hooker when I'm playing ping pong!!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Much ado about nothing.

I get the whole "act like you've been there before" thing....but where does it end? Next it will be "I don't like his bleached dreadlocks, that's a distraction. The "act like you've been...." will be replaced with "look professional".

I don't want to see football robots.
I want to see the drama. Real people playing in front of tens of thousands, making incredible things seem ordinary.... if they can find a way to seperate or express themselves for 5 seconds, it's fine with me. I don't want out of hand Ocho Cinco and TO celebrations all the time, but I do like a quick, clever celebration.... These are people, playing a game.

Yeah, but these comments are best directed at the NFL rules committee.

Because, within the rules - as they exist today - Bailey could have cost his team. It was selfish. It needs to stop.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah, but these comments are best directed at the NFL rules committee.

Because, within the rules - as they exist today - Bailey could have cost his team. It was selfish. It needs to stop.

I agree.
I was worried about a penalty. Glad we got lucky. It's against the rules, shouldn't happen because it could cost us. It is selfish.
I just disagree with the rule in the first place and the mindset behind it.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If you use the ball you get fined.

He's not above that, so he should get fined.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ha! Gotta admit I'm a trash talking ping pong player too. Me and my buddies were downright dicks to each other. And I wonder how many trash talking video gamers complain about NFL celebrations.

And the whole using the ball as a prop is pure and complete bullshit. The spike has been part of the game since I can remember. You gonna spike without using the ball as the prop? I suppose they'd have to start doing air spikes to comply with this rule if we are going to sit there and say any violation of a rule is a violation.

IMO the NFL and many "fans" need to get of this whole "act like you've been there" and "in my day garbage". There was no bigger trash talker than Deacon and though he didn't dance, he kicked many a QB's head after the sack.

I agree with some form of limit but let's not shut down the fun because the Goodhell administration is having a difficult time defining a violation. You can easily define taunting and such without getting stupid about it. And if a ref throws an occasional dumb flag when the guy isn't actually taunting, it will still be far better than all the ticky tack flags we're seeing now.

I'd even say that the exchange between Gurley and Honey Mouse was more worth doing away with than Steds simple little fun. I mean what are you really after? There's an old saying. Begin with the end in mind. What is the end result you are trying to achieve? Sportsmanship? Lack of silliness? An end to taunting? FUN? Start with your desired result and make a rule that will actually achieve it. Otherwise, don't make the rule because clearly you can't define what you don't like.