Rapoport: Indications Are Fisher/Snead Safe For 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why should he? What expertise does he have on offense? He's not an offensive coach. Should Paul Boudreau have any control of the DL? Fisher needs to let his OC run the offense.
Come on man he has been around football his whole life, he's built defensive schemes to combat every kind of offense used in the modern day football, he knows a little something about offense

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're full circle now. How do we know that he's dictating what the offense does?
I do agree that we need a good OC. Boras, so far, looks like he can call a good game, but I guess you want someone with more Coryell type leanings?

I want someone with some track record of success. Even if it's brief. I'd feel very worried going into the year with Boras. Not saying it's the wrong choice but he's been here all year (even though he wasn't the play-caller). Hard to have any sort of belief in anyone on this staff.

You have said that he's dictating the philosophy. I'm working off of the assumption that what you're saying is true.

Come on man he has been around football his whole life, he's built defensive schemes to combat every kind of offense used in the modern day football, he knows a little something about offense

I don't care if he knows "a little something" about offense. He's not an offensive coach. It's not his area of expertise.

Paul Boudreau knows a ton about the OL and blocking schemes. Should he be involved in coaching the DL? No. We have a DL Coach for a reason. That is his specialty. That is his area of expertise.

Fisher is not an offensive-minded HC. He has no business being involved in the offense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I want someone with some track record of success. Even if it's brief. I'd feel very worried going into the year with Boras. Not saying it's the wrong choice but he's been here all year (even though he wasn't the play-caller). Hard to have any sort of belief in anyone on this staff.

You have said that he's dictating the philosophy. I'm working off of the assumption that what you're saying is true.
I'm willing to see how Boras does the rest of the year. You never know. Coordinators come out of nowhere all the time. And I said he set the philosophy. Not that he's constantly dictating it. I even went to far as to ask why people are assuming he's interfering (dictating) in the offense when there's really no evidence that he is. Remember me quoting the announcers in the Eagles game saying that he doesn't interfere with play calls, but sometimes gives his input inbetween series?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Boras puttin on a clinic tonight...

Players executing is always a nice indicator that all the pieces are coming together. Nice job thus far by Rob.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm willing to see how Boras does the rest of the year. You never know. Coordinators come out of nowhere all the time. And I said he set the philosophy. Not that he's constantly dictating it. I even went to far as to ask why people are assuming he's interfering (dictating) in the offense when there's really no evidence that he is. Remember me quoting the announcers in the Eagles game saying that he doesn't interfere with play calls, but sometimes gives his input inbetween series?

Let's see how he does against Seattle. I'm willing to give him a chance.

I don't mind input. What I mind would be him telling the OC what type of offense he needs to run. Even if it's just philosophically.

I don't want him telling the OC, "you're going to run a ground and pound" because the OC should have the opportunity to put players and the offense in the best position to succeed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Let's see how he does against Seattle. I'm willing to give him a chance.

I don't mind input. What I mind would be him telling the OC what type of offense he needs to run. Even if it's just philosophically.

I don't want him telling the OC, "you're going to run a ground and pound" because the OC should have the opportunity to put players and the offense in the best position to succeed.
That's fair. But again, we don't know that he's doing that.

If he is, however, I don't see that as a negative. Lots of coaches set the philosophy and the coordinators (the subordinates) make it work with their own wrinkles and twists. For all we know, Fisher just wants a run-heavy offense and to build off of that with play-action passes. If he is, and the coordinator can make it happen, then you get what we have here tonight. But yeah, I'd like to see how this shakes out over in Seattle too. It will be a good test.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's fair. But again, we don't know that he's doing that.

If he is, however, I don't see that as a negative. Lots of coaches set the philosophy and the coordinators (the subordinates) make it work with their own wrinkles and twists. For all we know, Fisher just wants a run-heavy offense and to build off of that with play-action passes. If he is, and the coordinator can make it happen, then you get what we have here tonight. But yeah, I'd like to see how this shakes out over in Seattle too. It will be a good test.

I think it's a huge negative. Fisher isn't an offensive coach. Needs to hire people he trusts and let them put the players in the best position to succeed. Not hire people he can control so they can put the players in the position Jeff Fisher best believes will succeed. He's not offensive-minded. This isn't his specialty.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think it's a huge negative. Fisher isn't an offensive coach. Needs to hire people he trusts and let them put the players in the best position to succeed. Not hire people he can control so they can put the players in the position Jeff Fisher best believes will succeed. He's not offensive-minded. This isn't his specialty.
That would be a valid observation if we know for sure he's doing that.
Looks like he's letting Boras do his thing tonight.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be a valid observation if we know for sure he's doing that.
Looks like he's letting Boras do his thing tonight.

It's not like we're doing anything out of the ordinary tonight. It's just working better than it normally does. :LOL:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's not like we're doing anything out of the ordinary tonight. It's just working better than it normally does. :LOL:
True. So has it been execution as the problem the past 6 games?
I know Foles hasn't been making it any easier on any of the other players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. So has it been execution as the problem the past 6 games?
I know Foles hasn't been making it any easier on any of the other players.

Yes and no.

There have been a number of issues.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

I don't care if he knows "a little something" about offense. He's not an offensive coach. It's not his area of expertise.

Paul Boudreau knows a ton about the OL and blocking schemes. Should he be involved in coaching the DL? No. We have a DL Coach for a reason. That is his specialty. That is his area of expertise.

Fisher is not an offensive-minded HC. He has no business being involved in the offense.
OK whatever fantasy you want to believe its all good.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Happy with 2 wins against lousy teams but the Seattle game should be the barometer

2 points that are often repeated that frustrate me though
1) "Staying the course" doent work for me. The Rams are losing team with lousy offense. I dont want to stay that course and the history of the NFL agrees with that
2) Fisher stays because Kroenke doesnt want to eat 7 mill- Just a fallacy, Fisher wont coach lame duck year, he'll get extension at best for 1 additional year at same rate of pay. More than likely it would be enhanced terms and inevitably would cost more money if he needs to be fired later

I guess the bigger concern is whether these final games are enough to warrant Boras being full time OC next season with Fisher staying

Athos

Legend

Meh. The offense DID work last night. But I'm trying to find any real difference and am finding none. We went out to a big lead, then Fisher conservative ball took back over and guess what happened? TB started to make a comeback.

I'm still seeing the same gimmicks and over reliance on playfakes. Doesn't work too well against better defenses.

We had better QB play yea. But I personally won't be fooled again by this team. Oh no. Not until I see a winning record last for more than a game.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Isn't this what we expected to happen? The Rams finish strong, don't make the playoffs, and give up hope for next year that Fisher will get us over the hump. I'm sorry but just look at his body of work for 21 years. He is just not that good. Six winning seasons. Four straight non winning seasons here. I literally don't see how he is all of a sudden going to be a guy who makes us perennial contenders. It's not going to happen. I was behind Fisber until the five game losing streak.

People say to stay the course or that continuity is what's best for teams. Well I agree but first you get the guys who get the job done year in year out and then you keep them around. You don't just keep anyone around. He's going to be the first guy ever to get a fifth season when he didn't have a winning season his first four. I don't get it honestly. Four years is enough to turn the team around. Most guys don't get that much. I'm going to watch every game regardless but I've seen what I need to see out of Fisher. I hope he can get it turned around but he's been coaching for 21 years. I don't see how it'll somehow change all of a sudden starting next year. I hope I'm wrong.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I had a whole long post typed out, but realized it's all stuff I've said before many times. Basically in a nutshell 0 for 4 for winning seasons. 4 years bad offense. I'm not sure those two things change much in 2016 under Jeff Fisher. No matter the OC, under Fisher it'll still be more about not scoring quickly so to run time off instead of explosive plays and an attacking attitude. Maneuvering for FGs. Struggling to erase leads. Quietly going into halftime scared to try to get a score for fear of a TO instead expecting to score. I admit it's a philosophy I don't like.

That 7 mil is going to win out though. He'll be back.