2016-Rams trade up to #1 (old thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
There are two kinds of teams in the NFL.

Those that have a quality starting QB.

And those that are looking for one.

I've had several hours to wrap my mind around this bold trade, and I think it comes down to the above.

I think maybe we just moved from the latter to the former category, too.

At first I was numb and thought we paid too much. But now I think the value of a 12-15 year quality starter at QB makes it a bargain. BTW, according to one post I read, we got the better of this deal per the trade value chart.

One last thing. I now feel that S&F have a plan to acquire a WR and pass catching TE for our new rookie QB. Might be a FA, might be a pick, might be a trade (Foles, Mason, or ???). Or maybe some combination of all 3 options.

Let's face it, fellas. We were never going very far without a quality starting QB. Better to get him sooner rather than keep waiting for later.

WestCoastRam

Legend
No? Mannion is worth more then that. And he can still be a good player. If anything I would trade Keenum for a third. Foles, for whatever you can get. Likely at least a 6th.

Mannion hasn't played more than one snap. Depreciation on the pick says 5th and that's if another team thought he was worth it in the 3rd last year. I hope you're right dude but I completely disagree. Foles for a 6th would be a dream.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep saying it see what we can get for case from Denver they were sniffing around st least kick the tyres see if we can get a third

WestCoastRam

Legend
Case for a third is a pipe dream. If Case was worth a third round pick, we might not even be talking about trading up.

Case is too valuable to trade (I imagine a 6th or 7th would be all we'll get).

Name
Adam
QB is the most important position in sports. Got to address it somehow.

Being a Browns fan up until a few months ago, I can offer the advice of not over-valuing draft picks. They mean nothing until the player substantiates their value on field, they are simply a gamble. I'm down for this gamble.

Ram Man

Rookie
I keep saying it see what we can get for case from Denver they were sniffing around st least kick the tyres see if we can get a third

If Keenum is traded, then who will play QB this year? Prior to today, most experts were saying that Goff/Wentz should sit a year and develop before playing.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I love this fucking move, gotta have some balls. I don't think Snisher will ever have a bad enough defense to slip into the top five, so if if we ever wanted to get a franchise QB we were going to have to gamble a bit.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd see Mannion as the long term backup at this stage, with either Keenum or Foles traded, depending on offers.

KDS73

Rookie
Terrible trade. When has selling the farm like this ever worked?

Kroenke just wants to make a splash so he can generate some hype and start selling tickets.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mannion hasn't played more than one snap. Depreciation on the pick says 5th and that's if another team thought he was worth it in the 3rd last year. I hope you're right dude but I completely disagree. Foles for a 6th would be a dream.

Case was 6 out of 7 in pass attempts last season, so that's more than one snap.

In any case, he's unlikely to fetch what he'd be worth to the Rams as a cheap backup for a few years. So I don't see him being traded. It depends on whether they trust Foles at all, and the trade offer for either Foles or Keenum, to see which gets traded.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am so effin happy right now!!!

THANK YOU for finally prioritizing QB Snead/Fish!

Now to all you whiners crying about the picks... Sit back and prepare yourselves to watch a team with two of the best young players in the league in their offensive backfield. Winning championships is about difference makers and we are finally going to have one at the most important position on the field! Turn those frowns upside down my brothers!!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Terrible trade. When has selling the farm like this ever worked?

Kroenke just wants to make a splash so he can generate some hype and start selling tickets.
Hes already sold tickets and generated hype take your salt back to the basement please.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think a huge amount of this is pressure from dirty Stan wanting a face of the franchise. Making a big splash for the top pick in the Rams first year in LA is to try and energize what has been a lackluster city historically supporting the NFL. LA is a city full of other things to do and things to spend money on. Kroenke sold the farm for LA and has to make this a huge success, and starting year 1 with Case Keenum under center is not a big ticket grab.

Really? Kroenke has literally never interjected him into the operations of his sport teams, he hires people to do that.

If it was a pure business deal, then it would make sense to start Keenum this year, because the Rams are back and you could trot a half dead baby out there and fans will still be excited. Then a new QB next year to make fans excited again and a new stadium 2 years later.

The rest of the garbage about LA just isn't true. There is lots to do in LA, yes, but fans still go and support their teams, and the NFL.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This team is doomed to fail thanks Fisher & Snead your time as GM & HC will go down in history as loosers. Simply the worse decision possible for any fan desiring this team to become a winner.

Hate to be a grammar/speling nazi, but you use this ALL the time and someone has to say it. It is LOSERS, not LOOSERS!!!! ;)

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Keenum is traded, then who will play QB this year? Prior to today, most experts were saying that Goff/Wentz should sit a year and develop before playing.

Yeah people are saying Wentz will sit doesn't mean he will ...... All
The reports I've read he killed it at the combine on the whiteboard interviews etc ....if he is even close to being ready he Will play

Ram Man

Rookie
Yeah people are saying Wentz will sit doesn't mean he will ...... All
The reports I've read he killed it at the combine on the whiteboard interviews etc ....if he is even close to being ready he Will play

If he plays it may be because of his status as the #1 pick and not because he is ready.

If Goff/Wentz play terribly for the Rams in their 1st season, it won't necessarily be their fault. It will be the front office's fault.