2016-Rams trade up to #1 (old thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Because Wentz is better and has a higher ceiling. Wentz ran a pro style offense under center as opposed to Goff running the air raid offense always in shotgun. Wentz has every intangible you would want, stronger arm, more mobile, and he is a winner.
I didn't mean to suggest that Goff is better than Wentz, or to predict who the Rams will actually take. We don't know what their evaluation of these guys is. In any event, they have two good choices. Moving up to number 1 suggests to me they have a strong preference for one of them. But to assume that Wentz is a done deal may be a little premature until we get some real indication from the Rams, and that might not happen until April 28th.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'm all in on risky as shit draft picks now. Let's go Tajae Sharp with our first fourth, Tyler Higbee with the second, and in the sixth grab Moritz whateverthefuckhisname is and Terron Beckham with our other six. Go all offense to help Goff/Wentz out.

WvuIN02

Starter
I think a huge amount of this is pressure from DELETED Stan wanting a face of the franchise. Making a big splash for the top pick in the Rams first year in LA is to try and energize what has been a lackluster city historically supporting the NFL. LA is a city full of other things to do and things to spend money on. Kroenke sold the farm for LA and has to make this a huge success, and starting year 1 with Case Keenum under center is not a big ticket grab.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ram65

Legend
Mayock says it's Wentz and he starts day 1. Interesting if true because the Rams could trade Foles and even, maybe Keenum or Mannion.

Very interesting. Seemed like many were saying he and Goff would need time. I was thinking Keenum starts a least a few weeks. He can manage the games. I guess it makes sense to give Wentz the job as soon as possible. Hope he doesn't get killed or kill the Rams chances early.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Well, hopefully our new passing game coordinator can get the most out of Quick.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Guys, we needed a QB. Case was never meant to be the answer.

Yes, it's a risk. The draft always is. But it's a QB league and those aren't just words. A franchise QB makes WRs better, makes the O line better - he even makes the D better!

Wentz has the arm, the size, the speed, and most importantly the brain. He is a workaholic. He nailed the combine, his pro day, the wonderlic, and by all accounts, his private workouts. We know he dominated college but against lesser comp. I thought he answered the 'level of play' questions at the Senior Bowl - where he was by far the best QB on either team.

Is he a sure thing? No. No one ever has been.

Is he worth what we gave up? Undoubtedly.

We now have a QB - we are one of the 'haves' and no longer one of the 'have nots'.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Wow. I didn't want to give this much up, but we have a guy in mind that we had to have. There was no fall back plan. Very ballzy.

If Wentz is the QB that we all hope he will be, then there will be few doubters. Hard Knocks will be epic, we'll be able to see exactly how this all happened.

Go Rams!

WestCoastRam

Legend
Guys guys! This move will work out great as long as Battle, Gaines Quick and Bailey develop/recover and turn into superstars.

We got this!

Last edited:

WvuIN02

Starter
NY Giants gave up more for less and have 2 SB to show for it
That Giants comparison is not even close.

Manning had a pedigree on another level of either Goff/Wentz, competed at the highest level, neither of these QBs would even be considered in the same universe as him as a prospect. 2004 was one of the greatest QB draft classes ever.

Not to mention what they paid for Manning was CONSIDERABLY less. They gave up a 3rd in 2004, a 1st in 2005 and a 5th in 2005. Not 1 first, two seconds and two thirds

nighttrain

Legend
Man that's a lot of picks to give up....but this could be a defining moment. I just hope Wentz is what they think he is...I don't think they move to 1 for Goff. Where do we find the WR help now?
maybe with a QB that can get the ball to them, instead of 15 feet away, our WR will look a lot better
train

Ants

Starter
I think a huge amount of this is pressure from DELETED Stan wanting a face of the franchise. Making a big splash for the top pick in the Rams first year in LA is to try and energize what has been a lackluster city historically supporting the NFL. LA is a city full of other things to do and things to spend money on. Kroenke sold the farm for LA and has to make this a huge success, and starting year 1 with Case Keenum under center is not a big ticket grab.

Could very well be right about Stan.
And definitely correct about LA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ants

Starter
Guys guys! This move will work out great as long as Battle, Gaines and Bailey develop/recover and turn into superstars.

We got this!

Not sure if you're joking or not, but you could in fact be right. Throw in Westbrooks and Coples...really, as long as the guys stay mostly healthy, we're not in bad shape.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
That's what I was also getting at. They wasted 3 first rd draft picks and they didn't even need to. Imagine if they had kept those and still grabbed cousins or some else in the next draft.

I hear ya, heck things would be so much easier if we could find a Wilson or Brady in the 3rd lol.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'd love it if we were able to flip Foles for a 7th and Mannion for a 5th.

No? Mannion is worth more then that. And he can still be a good player. If anything I would trade Keenum for a third. Foles, for whatever you can get. Likely at least a 6th.