2016-Rams trade up to #1 (old thread)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
It has to be Wentz over Goff
Not so sure it has to be Wentz. I heard Fisher on a radio interview a couple of months ago talking about Goff, basically singing his praises point by point and saying he would have an outstanding NFL career. Goff is quick twitch, mentally and physically, and accurate. Quick release, can move in the backfield and throw on the run, accurate downfield. The anti-Foles, if you will. Used to having to evade the rush-- always a good qualification for a Rams qb. Obviously smart to go to Cal. Most NFL ready of the qb's. The economics of a qb now are that you must draft (or else pay $72 million for an unproven free agent) and you must be able to take advantage of every year of the rookie contract. The Rams also need to win now to hold their free agents, including not just the D but Tavon. Of course, having a California kid you can put on billboards might help with what is still (assumptions to the contrary notwithstanding) a $3 billion gamble by Kroenke that the Rams can really make it in the LA market.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not 100% accurate. We would have received those comp picks even if we didn't give away our own. Your point about cap space has some merit however.

I realize that. But my point was that we will still have a pick in every round except for the 1st next year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Annnnd...there are so many examples of good WRs had in the 4th round...if that's the direction we go, WR/TE in the 4th round could still end up being two good players. And it's the Titans 4th round pick, which is almost like a 3rd round pick

jap

Legend
Normally it would be reasonable to expect the Rams to pick up "a #1 WR prospect" in the 2017 draft. But now they don't have a first or third round pick in 2017.

Never say never when Les is running the poker table.

Rainram

Starter
I'm on board. I like both Wentz and Goff. I have both higher than where I had Mariota. I prefer Wentz.

Woulda been nice to get something more from Tennessee. Couldn't have got their 4th next year? Hell, a 2018 3rd?

We need the QB though, so I'm good with it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This team is doomed to fail thanks Fisher & Snead your time as GM & HC will go down in history as loosers. Simply the worse decision possible for any fan desiring this team to become a winner.

FrankenRam

Starter
It would be humorous to see the reaction on this forum if they made this deal and then DIDN'T select a QB.

Of course, that's a VERY unlikely scenario, but knowing Fisher, it wouldn't at all surprise me if he took a DE. :)

'Just sayin....'

Ram65

Legend
I read all the posts first!!!

1. It had to be done!!!!!

2. Lots of draft capital indeed!

3. When will the New QB start?

It was fun reading all the reactions both negative and positive. I like Goff but Wentz could be better QB over time. You never know ahead of time when making these decisions. Sometimes you just have to "Let It Ride"

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Not so sure it has to be Wentz. I heard Fisher on a radio interview a couple of months ago talking about Goff, basically singing his praises point by point and saying he would have an outstanding NFL career. Goff is quick twitch, mentally and physically, and accurate. Quick release, can move in the backfield and throw on the run, accurate downfield. The anti-Foles, if you will. Used to having to evade the rush-- always a good qualification for a Rams qb. Obviously smart to go to Cal. Most NFL ready of the qb's. The economics of a qb now are that you must draft (or else pay $72 million for an unproven free agent) and you must be able to take advantage of every year of the rookie contract. The Rams also need to win now to hold their free agents, including not just the D but Tavon. Of course, having a California kid you can put on billboards might help with what is still (assumptions to the contrary notwithstanding) a $3 billion gamble by Kroenke that the Rams can really make it in the LA market.
Because Wentz is better and has a higher ceiling. Wentz ran a pro style offense under center as opposed to Goff running the air raid offense always in shotgun. Wentz has every intangible you would want, stronger arm, more mobile, and he is a winner.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I read all the posts first!!!

1. It had to be done!!!!!

2. Lots of draft capital indeed!

3. When will the New QB start?

It was fun reading all the reactions both negative and positive. I like Goff but Wentz could be better QB over time. You never know ahead of time when making these decisions. Sometimes you just have to "Let It Ride"

Mayock says it's Wentz and he starts day 1. Interesting if true because the Rams could trade Foles and even, maybe Keenum or Mannion.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
:palm::puke:

I would think that this Draft section of this forum can close down early now since we do not have any ammo to play in the next two drafts. Sure puts a icy doggie blanket on the upcoming drafts. I feel like I woke up in crazy mad mad world scene. Bad bad decision.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
To all those feeling the Horns overpaid: they did! What do you expect when the Titans were hosting a bidding war for the #1 overall selection? The Horns had to trump all offers to land at #1.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Dafuq?! Worst move of the Snisher era.
I don't care for the move either, BUT, now we have to ...

exaVP3j.jpg

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2 firsts 2 seconds 2 thirds. Wow we sold the farm.
That's how I see it.

Just too much... and, regardless of which one it is, it'll still take at least a year to know what you have.

I guess I'll wait and see what other deals can be struck so it doesn't look as lopsided to me.

Man, all these high stakes moves (moving, stadiums, etc.) makes an owner take some pretty bold moves.

At least it's worked out well for Jerry Jones (oh, wait)... :cautious: