Rams cut

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heck, the Cards just traded a conditional pick for Barkley. You don't think they would be all over Mannion for free? Less money, no pick given up, AND sticking it to a division rival.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yeah, because their options were either perennial backup Cassel or Manuel, who's already pretty much proven he's not going to advance past what he is.

If they had a choice between Mannion or Tyrod imo they'd pick Mannion.

IMO, Mannion isn't better than Manuel right now.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
IMO, Mannion isn't better than Manuel right now.
I disagree. Manuel's problem is he's terrible at progression, while he's deadly at the intermediate and short pass, his deep accuracy leaves a lot to be desired and he just generally plays it too safe and wasn't relied on to do advanced tasks the pros are asked to do in the NFL, which crippled his growth. He played scared and didn't take the necessary risk a QB needs to because he just COULDN'T.

None of which ails Mannion. Mannion's problems are simply on his touch and his footwork, all easily coached. If I'm an NFL coach and they let somebody with raw talent like Mannion go when 7ths are getting traded for the likes of Keenum and Barkley I definitely fly to get that kid.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I disagree. Manuel's problem is he's terrible at progression, while he's deadly at the intermediate and short pass, his deep accuracy leaves a lot to be desired and he just generally plays it too safe and wasn't relied on to do advanced tasks the pros are asked to do in the NFL, which crippled his growth. He played scared and didn't take the necessary risk a QB needs to because he just COULDN'T.

None of which ails Mannion. Mannion's problems are simply on his touch and his footwork, all easily coached. If I'm an NFL coach and they let somebody with raw talent like Mannion go when 7ths are getting traded for the likes of Keenum and Barkley I definitely fly to get that kid.

Right, but Mannion is not ready to start. Which puts Manuel, Tyrod, and Cassel above him.

Long term, sure. Mannion probably will develop to be better.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Right, but Mannion is not ready to start. Which puts Manuel, Tyrod, and Cassel above him.

It depends, not all raw guys need to sit and develop to get better. Some just need game action and active coaching, I wouldn't classify Cassel or Manuel as better than him because he's already done things radically better than anything Manuel and Cassel have put out, he'd definitely be a better day one starter. Simply by being able to actually run an offense he's already better than Manuel.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

And, that is what we need, a guy to develop, who has a high upside. Now, if that guy hits the wire, then I'll talk. Keenum is already the best backup QB we've had in a decade or longer. Now, we need the future.

FRO

Legend

He was late a ton throwing sideline passes. I'm not too sure he has the whole progression thing nailed down. Now he is a rookie so I give him slack. If we see the stuff next preseason then I think we should get worried.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think the Bills wouldn't like him over Tyrod? Or him over Cousins the pick machine? Or the Jets, Browns or Texans?

Kid's got a good arm, already got some smarts too him and played in a pro style offense. His biggest knock is his accuracy and footwork, both easily fixable with proper coaching; this kid could be something. There's a reason so many looked at him as one of the better QBs of the draft, hell Walters had him moving up to even first rounder if he cleaned up.
Lol.

Now this is getting silly. I am just saying that it wouldnt surprise me.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, because their options were either perennial backup Cassel or Manuel, who's already pretty much proven he's not going to advance past what he is.

If they had a choice between Mannion or Tyrod imo they'd pick Mannion.
You do realize that Buffalo could have drafted him right?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
You do realize that Buffalo could have drafted him right?
Is that supposed to mean something? Plenty of teams overlook players because they're not what they think they are or simply never really looked that extensively into them. You think teams meant to pass up on guys of Tom Brady, Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers level? Just because teams pass you up don't mean you're not that good, don't be ridiculous.
Lol.

Now this is getting silly. I am just saying that it wouldnt surprise me.

You asked which teams would put them on his 53, I gave them to you, if you disagree why's that?

Don't give me a boring LOL and brush off, don't be that guy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that supposed to mean something? Plenty of teams overlook players because they're not what they think they are or simply never really looked that extensively into them. You think teams meant to pass up on guys of Tom Brady, Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers level? Just because teams pass you up don't mean you're not that good, don't be ridiculous.

You asked which teams would put them on his 53, I gave them to you, if you disagree why's that?

Don't give me a boring LOL and brush off, don't be that guy.
Lol

Try taking a look at someones perspective before jumping down their throat, dont be THAT guy

Mannion didnt show anything that would make me think a different team would sign him to their 53. Tyrod ? All he did was win the starting job.... Good grief

Mannion played like a 3rd rounder. I like the kid and dont want him cut, but again, it wouldnt surprise me. Maybe he'll get a <cough> injury

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Nice numbers, but what defenses were those against? Big factor in pre-season 'WOW look at that!'
Vanilla....the same defenses all the QB's go against....not saying he's Aaron Rodgers, but come on, they acted like the guy can't play....Look at all the #2 QBs in the LEAGUE...if there are similar stats, I'd like to see them...Guaranteed they are NOT by a rookie....

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Vanilla....the same defenses all the QB's go against....not saying he's Aaron Rodgers, but come on, they acted like the guy can't play....Look at all the #2 QBs in the LEAGUE...if there are similar stats, I'd like to see them...Guaranteed they are NOT by a rookie....
Was the throws, and the way he played, not the numbers.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Was the throws, and the way he played, not the numbers.
Live arm, slants....I haven't seen this game yet either....but the highlights suggest, from his 3 prior games, guys getting comfortable....I did see the slant pass that went for 70-80 yards...Always thought he'd be solid in the league...
Not sure if Mannion will get this good this year, but wished he'd have played more to see...

Oh Dr.? not impressed by the 4 td passes? In one game?!?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Live arm, slants....I haven't seen this game yet either....but the highlights suggest, from his 3 prior games, guys getting comfortable....I did see the slant pass that went for 70-80 yards...Always thought he'd be solid in the league...
Not sure if Mannion will get this good this year, but wished he'd have played more to see...

Oh Dr.? not impressed by the 4 td passes? In one game?!?
Impressed, of course. I've seen every one of their games, but not ours...frustrating, but GB get's all the coverage. But he's showed pocket presence, gone through progressions, has a cannon arm, thrown deep outs, and sideline throws. He has played with first teamer's, Cobb got hurt on his throw, not his fault, of course. Enough said, I guess. A few of us banged the table for him. Preseason doesn't make him a star, but it sure shows that he can play, and he can learn. Not saying, our guy can't, and I'll support our guy.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Some guys overperform their hype. Brett Hundley is one of those guys. Part of that is that his hype wasn't as big as someone as, say, Todd Gurley who's hype is pretty huge.

Gurley's going to have to drop 1200+ yards in the likely 12 games he'll probably play in to even MEET the hype which is kinda crazy if you think about it.

Then again, I have a dream... that Gurley has his big game against the 9ers. He plays earlier, but he really blows up with a record setting day against them and thrusts both him and the Rams into the national conversation with his record setting day against them.