Rams add Jeff garcia as an Offensive Assistant

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, but that's why the Rams drafted these guys:
ArticleRHjbrown5.jpg
Oh, you mean the two rookies?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's exactly what I am thinking. 2 QB coaches could cause some issues.
You think they know this quickly that Wienke might not have been the best choice?

That's awfully fast to come to that conclusion, no?

Alan

Legend
Rmfnlt asking the wrong guy:
You think they know this quickly that Wienke might not have been the best choice?

That was @Elmgrovegnome who said that. I think The Ripper is thinking that too many cooks spoil the pot.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip

Yes, it is. It could be a personality conflict that developed or that the decision to hire Wienke wasn't unanimous and yes too many cooks in the kitchen

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, it is. It could be a personality conflict that developed or that the decision to hire Wienke wasn't unanimous and yes too many cooks in the kitchen
Gosh, I'd hope it hasn't come to that already.

It is wierd that they hired Garcia out of the blue... but maybe he's desperate for a job... I mean, probably takes some jack to keep a woman like that happy! :)

Or... could be Fisher hired him just to have her show up occasionally. ;)

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
I worked for a company that used to do similar things and it just caused chaos. The titles didn't matter so you had to follow the one who you thought would stay.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I worked for a company that used to do similar things and it just caused chaos. The titles didn't matter so you had to follow the one who you thought would stay.
I agree "matrix management" doesn't usually work.

Just too early for me to conclude much of anything from this development.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I find myself strangely conflicted about this hire.

Part of me loves it for obvious reasons.

Part of me worries about the "too many cooks in the kitchen" concept.

If Fisher maintains clear areas of assigned responsibility, this could really work out well.

For one thing, both Weinke and Garcia have run popular QB camps for several seasons. They both have successful hands on experience developing young QB's.

We have a young starting QB that could benefit from improved fundamentals. We also have Mannion, Keenum, and Davis that cry out for attention to get them up to speed for future NFL play.

So here's a thought...

What if Weinke is primarily gonna work with Foles? And Garcia splits his time with the younger three (soon to be two)? In this way all of the QB's will benefit from far more hands on development than could possibly be provided by Weinke alone. (Just spitballing here).

Another thing. Garcia's title is "Offensive Assistant". That might mean that he will also find himself working with some of our young WR's. Maybe young TE's, too. Garcia knows the West Coast O like the back of his hand. I could see how he might have a significant positive impact on Tavon, for example. That alone could be huge.

Hell, the more I think about this, the more possibilities I see and the more I LIKE this move.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Really, really horrible news on so many levels.

#1. Garcia is the ultimate douche, rivaling Krapperdouche for The Biggest 49er QB Douche Ever title. Yes, I hold his Whiner background against him. Yes, I hold the fact that he looks and acts like Carrot Top against him. He was the poster boy for the weenie-armed, untalented QB that overachieved ONLY because of the West Coast Offense (WCO). If the WCO was never invented, Garcia would have never played football because the little wuss has no talent to succeed in a real offense, only to jump around like a spaz and dump off 2-yard passes. Which was perfect for that offense at the time. Most important is he lacks character, he's a self-promoting, back-stabbing jackass. The reason it's taken him so long to get a job in the NFL is because his schtick has been to go for a job, not get it, then bad mouth the guy that got it. Real classy. Nobody else hired him, not even the 49ers, because of this. An SAT analogy would be Garcia treats searching for a job like Lawrence Phillips treats women. Even moron Terrell Owens hated Garcia and saw thru the facade of this poser (takes one to know one I guess).

#2. I can put aside my petty personality hate, but what truly saddens me is I hate Garcia's version of offense to the core. While the short-pass basics of the WCO have spread throughout the NFL, most other teams realize that its gimmick roots are dead. It has to be taken to the next level of progression -- attacking downfield -- in today's NFL. See the Packers version. I was looking forward to the Rams trying to emulate the Packers, given Cignetti and Mike McCarthy cut their teeth together. Now, sadly, the fact Fisher is seeking Garcia's one-trick pony experience signals Fisher wants to go *backwards* to when the WCO was all short passes. This is not a good Back to the Future type of move, this is a "Garcia should have been left for dead back in the 1990s with grunge and emo bands" type of thing. We are now in danger to repeat that first 4 games of Capt. Checkdown fiasco, where Bradford had to endure blame for a bad offense philosophy.

#3. The Fisher "re-do" of that season suggested he learned his lesson that we would never repeat that 4-game hell, but sadly I see it being repeated. Fisher seemingly thinks the mistake of that 4-game experiment wasn't the short passes, but only the running game part. He thinks if you couple a power running game with short passes, that will win. I think this is a backwards view. Stretching the defense vertically is still the key in today's NFL and it blends much better with a power running game/play action in my opinion. People can say who cares what I think, Fisher's the expert, and that's fine, but the key for me is it's just sad to see since I prefer the vertical game as a fan, too. I'd rather shoot myself in the head than watch boring, talentless 2-yard dump offs.

#4. For those of you misled into thinking Garcia is a good thing, take a look again at the news link above writing about it. It's 49er beat writer Matt Maioco, the biggest Whiner yahoo idiot in the media. Another SAT analogy, if Al-jazeera is happily reporting something means it's probably a bad thing, here the Whiner papers happily reporting this means it's probably bad thing for the Rams.

#5. The "too many cooks" argument others have already voiced. Weinke was already the perfect choice to school a QB on power running, play action, downfield offense. Garcia is irrelevant *unless* Fisher wants to run WCO, which apparently he does now. So just fire Weinke if that's the case. This is yet another flip-flop of Fisher and my view of him keeps getting worse, not better.

Yeah, maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe the Rams just threw the guy a bone after he's begged so long for an NFL job and they will ignore everything he stands for before he moves on somewhere else. I will cling to that hope, but also barf every time I see this on the sidelines:
CarrotTop.3.250.jpg