Rams add Jeff garcia as an Offensive Assistant

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It sure is nice to see our franchise spare no expense on the coaching staff.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'll be devils advocate here and question, 'what if, since the time Weinke got to Rams Park, they started to think, Uh Oh we hired the wrong guy?

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Revisiting this thread and I'm still excited!!

My only question is brotheren, what sort of role do you forsee for Mr. Garcia? I can imagine Weinke will be the main man in our qbs' development but I'm curious what Garcia will be assigned to do. Hopefully it's not one of those "too many cooks in the kitchen" kind of thing.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Revisiting this thread and I'm still excited!!

My only question is brotheren, what sort of role do you forsee for Mr. Garcia? I can imagine Weinke will be the main man in our qbs' development but I'm curious what Garcia will be assigned to do. Hopefully it's not one of those "too many cooks in the kitchen" kind of thing.

I hope he gets to work exclusively with Mannion helping him develop.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Love the move, I really feel as if they want this offense to be similar to what they tried to run in 2013. A hybrid spread offense with a power run game.

I can't wait till the season starts.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I get the too many chefs in the kitchen vibe....2 QB coaches?

He won't be a QB Coach, he'll be another assistant and IMO, that's a good thing especially with the Head Coach more of a defensive guy.

Love Garcia's energy and Fisher must have been very impressed, but went with Weinke who had more experience, but Garcia has the upside and currently is the most mobile QB the Rams have right now.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He won't be a QB Coach, he'll be another assistant and IMO, that's a good thing especially with the Head Coach more of a defensive guy.

Love Garcia's energy and Fisher must have been very impressed, but went with Weinke who had more experience, but Garcia has the upside and currently is the most mobile QB the Rams have right now.

:ROFLMAO:

What about Austin Davis?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
:ROFLMAO:
What about Austin Davis?

IMO when the dust settles and come September Morn Davis will not be a Ram, but Davis is like that girl with a great personality, who's a good friend that you always end up once summer is over.

RamBill

Legend
Ex-49ers QB Garcia joins Rams coaching staff
May 20, 2015, 4:45 am
By Matt Maiocco

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/ex-49ers-qb-garcia-joins-rams-coaching-staff

Former 49ers quarterback Jeff Garcia is returning to the NFC West.

The St. Louis Rams hired the Gilroy native to the position of offensive assistant, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported late Tuesday.

Garcia interviewed with Rams coach Jeff Fisher in February for the opening at quarterbacks coach. Fisher hired 2000 Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke, the former director at IMG Academy, where he has worked with Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Ryan Tannehill and others, Fisher said.

But Fisher said at the NFL scouting combine he was equally impressed by Garcia – so much that the Rams created a coaching position for Garcia three months later.

“It was almost as if he was getting ready to go out and play a game,” Fisher said in February. “He’s just that guy. He’s so competitive. Throughout his career, people said he couldn’t do what he did. He takes great care of himself. He’s passionate about the game. He loves the game. His dad was a coach. It’s in him.

“He understands the system, the West Coast system and how it’s morphed. He’s familiar with it. He understands how difficult it is to see. Back there, taking snaps, it’s hard to see. But he also understands the game and preparation and loves competing.”

Garcia earned selections to the Pro Bowl four times in his 10-year NFL career, including three consecutive seasons while with the 49ers. He still holds the 49ers single-season record with 4,278 passing yards in 2000. He was undrafted out of San Jose State and did not get his first NFL opportunity until Bill Walsh gave him a chance with the 49ers after five seasons in the Canadian Football League.

Garcia, 45, has worked with high school, college and such professional quarterbacks as Mark Sanchez, Tyrod Taylor and Matt McGloin in San Diego in recent years. He spent several months last season as quarterbacks coach of the Montreal Alouettes of the CFL.

Although interested in joining the staff of new 49ers coach Jim Tomsula, Garcia was not granted an interview for any coaching position with his former team.

In December, Garcia told CSNBayArea.com he would like to work with Colin Kaepernick, who chose instead to spend 10 weeks in Arizona mostly with quarterbacks coach Dennis Gile with weekly visits from Kurt Warner. Garcia said his goal was to transition from an independent instructor into a position with an NFL team and, ultimately, become a head coach.

Matt is the 49ers Insider for CSNBayArea.com. Follow him @MaioccoCSN.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wanted Garcia originally. Now we got both. Well played. I have a feeling this offense is going to look a bit different in 2015.
I hope your right, it would be nice to be 'Surprised' by something, on Offense, this year!:shades:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
IMO when the dust settles and come September Morn Davis will not be a Ram, but Davis is like that girl with a great personality, who's a good friend that you always end up once summer is over.
I guess that's a good way to put it lol it's crazy to think everyone thought he was the second coming of Jesus after the first quarter of the 49ers game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I liked Garcia a little more than Weinke too...Only because I had seen him on TV and his analysis was spot on. I thought he'd work good with a young MOBILE QB....yeah, still a lil butt hurt about Hundley....What would he actually do? Who does he help with? How does Weinke & Cig feel about a potential replacement in the mist? Not mad at the hire, just a lil perplexing....

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was pulling fot them to take Garcia as QB Coach. Glad he's on board... can't see how this hurts the team in any way.

More important question: Can he block a defensive Tackle or Defensive End? ;)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I guess that's a good way to put it lol it's crazy to think everyone thought he was the second coming of Jesus after the first quarter of the 49ers game.

That's all the Rams had so fans needed to believe he's was the next Kurt Warner, but the good lord only made one of them.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I liked Garcia a little more than Weinke too...Only because I had seen him on TV and his analysis was spot on. I thought he'd work good with a young MOBILE QB....yeah, still a lil butt hurt about Hundley....What would he actually do? Who does he help with? How does Weinke & Cig feel about a potential replacement in the mist? Not mad at the hire, just a lil perplexing....

IMO, Fisher loved what he brought to the table and the fact he was successful at the NFL level gives him credibility within the Ranks...Plus IMO it puts more focus on the most important position on the field, like or not because I've always believed games are won and lost in the trenches, but you need a field general that not only provides you the opportunity to win, but can keep calm when the bullets are flying!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
More important question: Can he block a defensive Tackle or Defensive End? ;)

No, but that's why the Rams drafted these guys:
ArticleRHjbrown5.jpg