Rams add Jeff garcia as an Offensive Assistant

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cigs has said that unlike Schottenheimer, he won't be spending a lot of time coaching the QB's, he'll let the QB coach do that...
Do you have a link for this? I don't recall seeing that... it's interesting.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Really, really horrible news on so many levels.

#1. Garcia is the ultimate douche, rivaling Krapperdouche for The Biggest 49er QB Douche Ever title. Yes, I hold his Whiner background against him. Yes, I hold the fact that he looks and acts like Carrot Top against him. He was the poster boy for the weenie-armed, untalented QB that overachieved ONLY because of the West Coast Offense (WCO). If the WCO was never invented, Garcia would have never played football because the little wuss has no talent to succeed in a real offense, only to jump around like a spaz and dump off 2-yard passes. Which was perfect for that offense at the time. Most important is he lacks character, he's a self-promoting, back-stabbing jackass. The reason it's taken him so long to get a job in the NFL is because his schtick has been to go for a job, not get it, then bad mouth the guy that got it. Real classy. Nobody else hired him, not even the 49ers, because of this. An SAT analogy would be Garcia treats searching for a job like Lawrence Phillips treats women. Even moron Terrell Owens hated Garcia and saw thru the facade of this poser (takes one to know one I guess).

#2. I can put aside my petty personality hate, but what truly saddens me is I hate Garcia's version of offense to the core. While the short-pass basics of the WCO have spread throughout the NFL, most other teams realize that its gimmick roots are dead. It has to be taken to the next level of progression -- attacking downfield -- in today's NFL. See the Packers version. I was looking forward to the Rams trying to emulate the Packers, given Cignetti and Mike McCarthy cut their teeth together. Now, sadly, the fact Fisher is seeking Garcia's one-trick pony experience signals Fisher wants to go *backwards* to when the WCO was all short passes. This is not a good Back to the Future type of move, this is a "Garcia should have been left for dead back in the 1990s with grunge and emo bands" type of thing. We are now in danger to repeat that first 4 games of Capt. Checkdown fiasco, where Bradford had to endure blame for a bad offense philosophy.

#3. The Fisher "re-do" of that season suggested he learned his lesson that we would never repeat that 4-game hell, but sadly I see it being repeated. Fisher seemingly thinks the mistake of that 4-game experiment wasn't the short passes, but only the running game part. He thinks if you couple a power running game with short passes, that will win. I think this is a backwards view. Stretching the defense vertically is still the key in today's NFL and it blends much better with a power running game/play action in my opinion. People can say who cares what I think, Fisher's the expert, and that's fine, but the key for me is it's just sad to see since I prefer the vertical game as a fan, too. I'd rather shoot myself in the head than watch boring, talentless 2-yard dump offs.

#4. For those of you misled into thinking Garcia is a good thing, take a look again at the news link above writing about it. It's 49er beat writer Matt Maioco, the biggest Whiner yahoo idiot in the media. Another SAT analogy, if Al-jazeera is happily reporting something means it's probably a bad thing, here the Whiner papers happily reporting this means it's probably bad thing for the Rams.

#5. The "too many cooks" argument others have already voiced. Weinke was already the perfect choice to school a QB on power running, play action, downfield offense. Garcia is irrelevant *unless* Fisher wants to run WCO, which apparently he does now. So just fire Weinke if that's the case. This is yet another flip-flop of Fisher and my view of him keeps getting worse, not better.

Yeah, maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe the Rams just threw the guy a bone after he's begged so long for an NFL job and they will ignore everything he stands for before he moves on somewhere else. I will cling to that hope, but also barf every time I see this on the sidelines:
CarrotTop.3.250.jpg
soooooo, you're saying you don't like the move

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If the WCO was never invented, Garcia would have never played football because the little wuss has no talent to succeed in a real offense, only to jump around like a spaz and dump off 2-yard passes.
if ifs and butts were candy and nuts.....I can't believe you're taking Garcia to task for maximizing the talent he was born with...I think you even took TO's side in an argument...Short passes win games...Schotty and now Cigs offense is based on WC principles...with the power run and effective blocking you better believe there will be deep passes...There will also be plenty of YAC opportunities...after watching this offense for the last 7 years, I feel better now than I have in some time..probably 2004....

Do you have a link for this? I don't recall seeing that... it's interesting.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/fisher-says-rams-offense-needs-tweaks-not-overhaul-004007848--nfl.html

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/videos/videos/Simmons-Cignetti-Presser-Recap-213/8a642253-7141-4686-a8c0-f8416e46d7f6

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
if ifs and butts were candy and nuts.....I can't believe you're taking Garcia to task for maximizing the talent he was born with...I think you even took TO's side in an argument...Short passes win games...Schotty and now Cigs offense is based on WC principles...with the power run and effective blocking you better believe there will be deep passes...There will also be plenty of YAC opportunities...after watching this offense for the last 7 years, I feel better now than I have in some time..probably 2004....
Yeah, definitely not one of the most damning knocks I've heard for somebody.

If you weren't talented you wouldn't be considered talented. Gonna have to give that one a big fat duh. If that's a knock against guys man I can just invalidate every Whiner in the world.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Garcia Joins Rams Coaching Staff

tempAP080208066367--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher has added former Pro Bowl quarterback Jeff Garcia to his coaching staff, the team announced Tuesday. Garcia will serve as an offensive assistant, where he will primarily assist wide receivers coach Ray Sherman.

Fisher said back at the Combine in February that Garcia had interviewed for the quarterbacks coach position, which eventually went to Chris Weinke. But Fisher said he still came away plenty impressed with Garcia’s energy and passion for the game.

“We spent a day and a half with him, and it was almost as if he was getting ready to go out and play a game,” Fisher said in Indianapolis. “That’s how he’s just that guy. He’s so competitive. Throughout his career, people said, ‘You can’t do it.’ He did it. And he’s taken great care of himself. He’s passionate about the game, he loves the game. His dad was a coach. All of those things -- it’s in him.”

Garcia brings a wealth of experience to the offense. During his 17-year professional playing career, Garcia passed for nearly 42,000 yards. He began his career with the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League. He was named the CFL’s MVP in 1997 and a year later, he led Calgary to a Grey Cup title. Garcia was a four-time CFL all-star.

In 1999, Garcia joined the San Francisco 49ers and started 10 games in his first NFL season. A year later, he earned his first of four Pro Bowl invitations when he passed for 4,278 yards and 31 touchdowns.

Garcia also played for Cleveland, Detroit, Philadelphia and Tampa Bay during his NFL career. In 2010, he played for the Omaha Nighthawks of the United Football League.

A native of Gilroy, Calif., Garcia began his collegiate career at Gavilan College, where he was an honorable mention All-American in his lone season as the school’s starter. He transferred to San Jose State, where he was a three-year starter for the Spartans and earned a degree in business marketing.

Alan

Legend
Rmfnlt looking for the source:
Cigs has said that unlike Schottenheimer, he won't be spending a lot of time coaching the QB's, he'll let the QB coach do that...
I read the same thing and I think it was at the PD.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wasn't sure where to post this, figured this is good.

View: https://twitter.com/MylesASimmons/status/605803862100803585

Interestingly enough, they say Garcia is primarily going to be coaching WRs.

I think that's a great idea. I mean, it makes sense to teach receivers what the QB is looking for and/or expecting out of their routes. I would think he could also help them (via film) learn how to recognize coverages and make the same sight-adjustment the QB is going to make. Technique would probably still be the primary responsibility of Sherman though.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think that's a great idea. I mean, it makes sense to teach receivers what the QB is looking for and/or expecting out of their routes. I would think he could also help them (via film) learn how to recognize coverages and make the same sight-adjustment the QB is going to make. Technique would probably still be the primary responsibility of Sherman though.
And sight adjustments are a key aspect of the no-huddle. Hey I always entertain myself with thoughts like this during the off-season.