Official Rams vs. Chargers Vent Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

V3

Hall of Fame
And if it is so, call the sure play!Remember, Hill is having a bad day, refs too, but you can win.Go with the manual, not with a fantasy-call.If your players lost a fumble with a run, nobody can tell you something.Nobody!Then you need to use time and SD t.o.Can you say if we didn't score with 3 rush, bad calls?You can win with the extra time!
I didn't absolve Schotty in my post. I said he deserves some blame. He should have run the ball. That being said, I don't think Schotty called the play thinking Hill would throw to a double teamed WR. That's why I said they both get some blame.

moklerman

Warner-phile
3) Rams had absolutely no running game what so ever and (see points 1&2)
No crap. Why did Mason only get 16 carries on the day? Dude was busting off plenty of good runs and was on the verge of breaking a long one all day long.

Of course, I couldn't help but harken back to the glorious Spagnuolo days while watching today. This offense is so freakin' predictable that I think whatever the offense does do should get a plus modifier for doing it against a defense that knows it's coming.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd say Buffalo and the Titans too.
Buffalo doesn't have a first round pick this year so it would be tough for them to swing a trade up, IMO. Mettenberger looks like he's worth seeing what he can turn into, so I don't see Tenn. looking to trade up, either.

I could be wrong, though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Throwing a rookie QB in there probably won't be the answer either. Look at Bortles and Bridgewater and Manual, etc. This offense is designed for a QB who doesn't make critical mistakes because they just don't throw the ball that much. When it is time to throw that 3rd and long or the even rarer attempt at pressuring the defense, they need a QB with some semblance of accuracy and good decision making.

When Mariota and Winston have had to face that...on rare occasions in college, they've looked just as bad as Bridgewater, Bortles, Mettenberger or any of the others do now.

My point is, trading UP to get one of these guys would be foolish. If they fall, okay it's worth considering but no way can this team afford to spend multiple picks to get any of the guys who may not even be coming out.

Here's the information. All first round QBs since 2000 that have started at least 10 games as a rookie...here are the team results:
1. Joey Harrington - 3-13
2. David Carr - 4-12
3. Byron Leftwich - 5-11
4. Ben Roethlisberger - 15-1*
5. Vince Young - 8-8
6. Matt Leinart - 5-11
7. Joe Flacco - 11-5*
8. Matt Ryan - 11-5*
9. Matt Stafford - 2-14
10. Mark Sanchez - 9-7*
11. Sam Bradford - 7-9
12. Blaine Gabbert - 5-11
13. Christian Ponder - 3-13
14. Cam Newton - 6-10
15. Brandon Weeden - 5-11
16. Ryan Tannehill - 7-9
17. Andrew Luck - 11-5*
18. Robert Griffin III - 10-6*
19. E.J. Manuel - 6-10

That leaves you with 6 out of 19 that made the playoffs...which is around a third. Not good but not terrible either. Especially when you consider how many of these teams weren't talented at all when they drafted their QB and how many bad QBs are on that list.

Athos

Legend
The last play sticks out because it was bad, but this game is hardly on Hill's shoulders.

Blocked FG takes 3 points off the board. Penalty on Robinson deserved or not takes 7 points off the board. BS holding call on Tavon's return completely changes the gameplan on that last series.

Hill is easy to target because that was a terrible interception at the worst possible time, but the Rams had other chances to win this game and were stopped by either themselves or the refs.

Hill gave up 17 points. The first INT. The fumble. The second INT. He was piss poor sucky. Shotty just gave him an assist at the end.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh? Please list the one's that you think would've been worth trading up for that compare to the guys who(might) declare for the draft.

Please clarify. I don't know what you're asking.

Athos

Legend
However, you are dead on correct about Schotty. It was horrible. Surrendering a first half possession AGAIN. WTF IS THAT?!?! Oh, yeah, and it lead to a FG which is what Rams lost by. SHOCKER!

Guess what? Hill's first INT led to a FG......so, what'd we lose by again?

Lesson

Oh, really?
As much as Schottenheimer and Hill might seem like scape goats right now, keep in mind the Chargers blocked a FG and the Rams lost by 3.

bskrilla

Starter
Hill gave up 17 points. The first INT. The fumble. The second INT. He was pee pee poor sucky. Shotty just gave him an assist at the end.

Does a blindside sack as you're throwing count as a bad play by the QB now?

moklerman

Warner-phile
Buffalo doesn't have a first round pick this year so it would be tough for them to swing a trade up, IMO. Mettenberger looks like he's worth seeing what he can turn into, so I don't see Tenn. looking to trade up, either.

I could be wrong, though.
Didn't realize Buffalo was without a first. I think Mettenberger's getting his chance right now and so far, doesn't look all that jazzy. But I agree, who knows?

There will probably be a couple of FA's out there that weren't necessarily expected too. Someone will give Glennon a shot if TB cuts him. Orton will probably get a gig somewhere too if he doesn't stay in Buffalo(or crap the bed the rest of the season). Seems like Foles or Sanchez would get a shot somewhere but I doubt either would want to leave Philly. I wouldn't be surprised if Houston has to go after a QB too. Mallett looks as inaccurate as he did coming out of college and that's just never going to get better.

Knowing how buddy-buddy they are, wouldn't be surprised to see Houston get Garappalo from NE.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As much as Schottenheimer and Hill might seem like scape goats right now, keep in mind the Chargers blocked a FG and the Rams lost by 3.

There is plenty of blame to go around. But ultimately, Schotty and Hill are the most logical targets because of our last play of the game. They screwed the pooch.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Maybe we can all pitch in out ROD dollars and get Bradford some bionic ACL's
Imagine a healthy Bradford running for his life and having to deal with Shotty play calling

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Trade up. This team needs a QB and interior OL in the worst way. The rest of the team is fine.
This.

It's pretty obvious that this team really isn't in need of more d-linemen, a linebacker or some defensive backs. We could use a receivers, but more than that, we could use a guy to get the ball to our already talented receivers.

For those against getting a real QB at all costs... Is there a position can we draft (other than QB) that will turn us from a 7-win team into a 10-win team? The answer is "no." You think another DT will be the difference? A CB? No.

We need a freaking QB who can play. Enough of this 50% completion rate BS. Enough of this 4th quarter INT BS. Enough with QBs who play half their games and are just OK when healthy. Get a real QB at all costs. That's why we're not a winning team. That's the difference. Anyone who can't see that just doesn't want to.

Athos

Legend
This offense is designed for a QB who doesn't make critical mistakes because they just don't throw the ball that much. When it is time to throw that 3rd and long or the even rarer attempt at pressuring the defense, they need a QB with some semblance of accuracy and good decision making.

Mariota doesn't turn the ball over or seem to make really dumb mistakes. Who knows? Won't know till you try and sad fact is, 2016's QB class looks absolutely dreadful.

Lesson

Oh, really?
There is plenty of blame to go around. But ultimately, Schotty and Hill are the most logical targets because of our last play of the game. They screwed the pooch.

I wouldn't say they are the most logical. Letting another team block a FG is inexcusable, as is throwing an interception inside an opponent's 10 yard line.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Poor play at the qb position has doomed the Rams season. We shot ourselves in the foot all day but still win with even average game management. Not the first time this year either. And we are looking at more of the same for the rest of this year and beyond. So do you gamble 2015 season on bradford? I doubt any of these rookies fill the bill in 2015 take your pick of the lot. I think the 2015 seasons success rides on identifying and either trading for or signing a proven veteran, and as we all know that's easier said than done. Sheesh I'm depressing myself.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Please clarify. I don't know what you're asking.
You said you could list a few QB's that would counter what I was saying.

Other than Luck, I don't see many QB's in the last few years that would be worth trading up for and Winston/Mariota/Hundley are not of Luck's caliber. Of the few guys in the recent past that could arguably be worth trading up for, I don't think the 2015 class measure up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mariota doesn't turn the ball over or seem to make really dumb mistakes. Who knows? Won't know till you try and sad fact is, 2016's QB class looks absolutely dreadful.

Mariota's offense bothers me.

It's easy to avoid interceptions when you have the windows he does.

I wouldn't say they are the most logical. Letting another team block a FG is inexcusable, as is throwing an interception inside an opponent's 10 yard line.

And yet we had plenty of time to make up for the blocked FG. We didn't have time to make up for the interception. That's the difference.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Poor play at the qb position has doomed the Rams season. We shot ourselves in the foot all day but still win with even average game management. Not the first time this year either. And we are looking at more of the same for the rest of this year and beyond. So do you gamble 2015 season on bradford? I doubt any of these rookies fill the bill in 2015 take your pick of the lot. I think the 2015 seasons success rides on identifying and either trading for or signing a proven veteran, and as we all know that's easier said than done. Sheesh I'm depressing myself.

As much as I like Bradford, going into next season without an insurance plan for a full time starter asinine, IMO. Though, I'll give credit to Fisher and Snead addressing the backup QB-or what should have been that- with Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.