Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I don't want our OC to also be the OL coach. That unit needs all the special attention it can get. I'd rather have Kromer as OL and either Callahan, Trestman, or Phillips as our OC. If we're going to make any drastic turn around next year, the line is going to have to lead the way.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The 2013 Chicago Bears 2nd in points 8th in yards.

They were fair enough, that's been established and hopefully if hired, that is the type of vision that Trestman will bring to the Rams and not some of his other misfires.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They were fair enough, that's been established and hopefully if hired, that is the type of vision that Trestman will bring to the Rams and not some of his other misfires.
Even if he has the OC title he won't be the OC it won't be his offense that's what I don't get about people being so vehement against him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no problem with Kromer being the OL coach. He can still be the running game coordinator if he is OL coach. IMO Trestman brings more to the table as an OC. All those great OL coaches you named are OL coaches not offensive coordinators

As for OC hands down Trestman. Kromer OC experience comes under Trestman and he didn't call plays. If both are available why would you pick the guy who didn't call plays. Even so it is about more than play calling experience. Trestman has valuable experience as head coach, QB coach, offensive coordinator, and has even won championships at a different level. That experience is invaluable to a young coach and a young QB. If you are building the best possible staff Trestman would be the OC and Kromer would be OL coach. If the rams can surround Goff with three guys with extensive QB coaching and playcalling experience they should do it.

I explained why. What does Trestman add to this team? He's not calling the plays. The OC isn't going to call the plays. McVay is. We already have two former OCs on the staff (McVay and Olson). Right now, we have no OL Coach.

IF I HAVE TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THE TWO, I am taking the guy who adds something to this staff. That's Kromer. He gives us a top tier OL Coach. We desperately need that. While Trestman would be nice to have, he doesn't add anything that we currently lack. He simply complements what we already.

Obviously, the optimal scenario is for Kromer to join as OL Coach and Trestman as OC (so Kromer can dedicate all his time to the OL), but that assumes Kromer is amenable to that idea. Kromer might choose to go elsewhere if we don't give him the OC title. In that scenario, I take Kromer over Trestman.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Even if he has the OC title he won't be the OC it won't be his offense that's what I don't get about people being so vehement against him.

IMHO, I just think he's failed more than succeeded over the years, but as long as he is not calling the plays that's fine and quite frankly, he's an upgrade over the past regime, but I am more concerned with the offensive line coach hire, so I do promise to let this go.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I like Trestman, dude has a solid track record when it comes to high scoring offenses. I reeaallly want Kromer though, he is a miracle worker when it comes to o lines. Trust me, his hire would rival that of Phillips.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Kromer might choose to go elsewhere if we don't give him the OC title.

Who is going to make him an OC? Whiners and Falcons are the only OC jobs available and its doubtful he gets either of those, so why should the Rams. Denver and San Fran's O lines are just as bad if not worse than ours. I don't know what San Diego's deal is, but they are being cheap retaining their offensive staff, but he has some familiarity with Lynn. It is not like Kromer has a ton of options out there and is in a position to demand an OC title. Kroeneke will pay him top dollar and if he's around guys he likes and is comfortable with like Pete and Trestman he is more likely to come here.

Last edited:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'm hoping we see some blocks fall over the next few weeks with both the Packers and Steelers being knocked out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who is going to make him an OC? Whiners and Falcons are the only OC jobs available and its doubtful he gets either of those, so why should the Rams. Denver and San Fran's O lines are just as bad if not worse than ours. I don't know what San Diego's deal is, but they are being cheap retaining their offensive staff, but he has some familiarity with Lynn. It is not like Kromer has a ton of options out there and is in a position to demand an OC title. Kroeneke will pay him top dollar and if he's around guys he likes and is comfortable with like Pete and Trestman he is more likely to come here.

People don't like being passed over for jobs. If the Rams did consider him for the OC job and pass him over, he may choose not to work here. If it comes down to that, I'd give him the job over Trestman unless there's a better OL Coach available to me.

Kromer does have options. I highly doubt he struggles to find a job as an OL Coach. There are too many teams around the NFL who need help in that department.

I hope it doesn't come down to it. But I'd be very disappointed if we miss out on Kromer because of Trestman (unless they have a better OL Coach available to them).

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
San Francisco, Oakland and Chicago all finished #1 or 2 in offense scoring

Okay so why would Trestman go to any team to be OC in name only where the HC is calling the plays?

Unless of course he can't find another job anywhere else!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay so why would Trestman go to any team to be OC in name only where the HC is calling the plays?

Well like you said in another thread $$$ and the Rams can pay more. He doesn't need to call plays to prove his acumen, when the Rams turn it around offensively, the OC will get praise

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

How many OC jobs are available right now? I count 2 us and SF and do you think Shanny is going to install his offense and call the plays or is he going to let Trestman install his offense? Chances are right now any OC hire won't be calling the plays.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
People don't like being passed over for jobs. If the Rams did consider him for the OC job and pass him over, he may choose not to work here. If it comes down to that, I'd give him the job over Trestman unless there's a better OL Coach available to me.

Kromer does have options. I highly doubt he struggles to find a job as an OL Coach. There are too many teams around the NFL who need help in that department.

I hope it doesn't come down to it. But I'd be very disappointed if we miss out on Kromer because of Trestman (unless they have a better OL Coach available to them).
And what do you think of this guy?
upload_2017-1-24_11-23-11.png