Official New Rams Coaching Staff Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I don't trust anything TST posts. They also said that Anthony Lynn was locked in as our OC.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't trust anything TST posts. They also said that Anthony Lynn was locked in as our OC.

I don't believe TST is - or really claims to be - the kind of journalists that break stories. They collect information from around the web and put it into articles interlacing their opinions as they see fit. They don't have sources or anything like that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not completely accurate. In his first year as head coach (he called plays) The bears were second in scoring offense a 14 place increase and 5th in total yards. Broke almost every bears offensive yardage total record. IMO way better resume than Kromer and doesn't have the baggage. He actually called plays the only time Kromer was an OC.

This hire makes sense from a connection standpoint. He has alot of connections to the potential staff. Matt Cavanaugh was McVay's and Trestman's QB coach and Skip Peete will coach and coached their RBs. Kromer the potential OL coach was Trestmans OC, so at least 2 guys would have worked under Trestman before.

I disagree. If I have to pick one of the two, I'm taking Kromer over Trestman. I don't care about track record as a play-caller. McVay is the play-caller. A great OL Coach would be more valuable to this team.

But I hope we don't have to choose.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. If I have to pick one of the two, I'm taking Kromer over Trestman. I don't care about track record as a play-caller. McVay is the play-caller. A great OL Coach would be more valuable to this team.

We do need both an OC and an oline coach, so why cant we get both?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

I have no problem with Kromer being the OL coach. He can still be the running game coordinator if he is OL coach. IMO Trestman brings more to the table as an OC. All those great OL coaches you named are OL coaches not offensive coordinators

As for OC hands down Trestman. Kromer OC experience comes under Trestman and he didn't call plays. If both are available why would you pick the guy who didn't call plays. Even so it is about more than play calling experience. Trestman has valuable experience as head coach, QB coach, offensive coordinator, and has even won championships at a different level. That experience is invaluable to a young coach and a young QB. If you are building the best possible staff Trestman would be the OC and Kromer would be OL coach. If the rams can surround Goff with three guys with extensive QB coaching and playcalling experience they should do it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing Trestman provides that we need is an experienced guy in the booth on offense. This allows our QB and OLine coach to be on the sidelines with McVay.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not completely accurate. In his first year as head coach (he called plays) The bears were second in scoring offense a 14 place increase and 5th in total yards. Broke almost every bears offensive yardage total record. IMO way better resume than Kromer and doesn't have the baggage. He actually called plays the only time Kromer was an OC.

Totally disagree about the resume being superior to Kromer and Trestman was fired in Chicago because the inmates were running the asylum also he had to go to Canada because he wore out his welcome in the NFL and went to college only to fail at NC State of the Offensive Coordinator...Just seems that every team he's been involved since he left the 49ers in 96, he's been underwhelming and I don't think I'm wrong because he had to go to Canada because he could not land anything at a high level college or the NFL.

He did a good job in Canada and I will give him that and I understand he's worked with Kromer, Peete and understands what McVay wants to run, but at best his career has been checkered and John Harbaugh could not wait to run him the hell out of Baltimore, where being middle of the pack offensively is the norm.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The thing Trestman provides that we need is an experienced guy in the booth on offense. This allows our QB and OLine coach to be on the sidelines with McVay.

I'd rather take a shot with Wes Phillips again I might be a tad unfair, but the guy has never been any good as an OC, IMHO.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Where has he sucked? Baltimore didn't work out but that appears more on Harbaugh. He's done good work elsewhere.

No he hasn't, he wore out his welcome in the NFL and then went to college and failed miserably at NC State as their OC and then was exiled to Canada because he had to reinvent himself. Did a great job north of the border, but now back in the US failed as Head Coach after only two years and then was run out of Baltimore so I would not call that a successful career.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather take a shot with Wes Phillips again I might be a tad unfair, but the guy has never been any good as an OC, IMHO.
Wes may very well be up there as well but I doubt it, I think McVay wants him close to him to develop. And Trestman has is failings but to say the man has had no success just isn't accurate sorry.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't want Trestman. I'd love to get Kromer for OC. I feel that we need a proven offensive line coach.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Totally disagree about the resume being superior to Kromer and Trestman was fired in Chicago because the inmates were running the asylum also he had to go to Canada because he wore out his welcome in the NFL and went to college only to fail at NC State of the Offensive Coordinator...Just seems that every team he's been involved since he left the 49ers in 96, he's been underwhelming and I don't think I'm wrong because he had to go to Canada because he could not land anything at a high level college or the NFL.

He did a good job in Canada and I will give him that and I understand he's worked with Kromer, Peete and understands what McVay wants to run, but at best his career has been checkered and John Harbaugh could not wait to run him the hell out of Baltimore, where being middle of the pack offensively is the norm.
Has Baltimore really been better without him?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And Trestman has is failings but to say the man has had no success just isn't accurate sorry.

Okay besides Canada give me a top ten offense he has coordinated?

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

You are wrong because he got that head coaching Job with the bears when he had the second highest scoring offense after he coached in Canada. How is the second highest scoring offense underwhelming? Ravens were going to be underwhelming on offense no matter what. They had no running back and Steve smith on the verge of retirement was his number 1 WR. He got fired because they thought he was too pass happy, something McVay has been accused of as well, but Trestman won't call plays this year so cant put that on him. When he had Forte and Jeffrey his offense was balanced. Give him some weapons and his offense will be good.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You are wrong because he got that head coaching Job with the bears when he had the second highest scoring offense after he coached in Canada. .

How did it go in year two? Find it hard to credit him with success when his tenure as Head Coach lasted two years!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
How did it go in year two? Find it hard to credit him with success when his tenure as Head Coach lasted two years!

Of course I can he had weapons and he ran a top offense, while his defense was not good. He wasn't a good head coach, but we aren't asking him to be one, not even asking him to call plays. He is good QB coach and he sure as hell knows offense. If you cant credit him for calling plays in the second highest scoring offense there is no point in arguing with you.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If you cant credit him for calling plays in the second highest scoring offense there is no point in arguing with you.

First of all, it's not an argument, it's a debate and I will give him credit for his first year, but the second was an epic fail to the point that the locker room was a complete disaster and after he was replaced by John Fox it was written about in Chicago that now they had someone that would hold the players accountable and not allow them to run the locker room.

Agreed he won't be calling plays if hired, but over his 30 year run in the NFL, he's been more unsuccessful than successful and IMHO, McVay does need experience assistants, but I would rather him be surrounded by assistants that have shared more success than failures.

He coached Jake Plummer with the Cardinals from 1998 until 2000. In 1998, Plummer (a second-year quarterback) was sacked more than any other player in the NFL. The following season, Plummer led the league in interceptions.

This doesn’t speak well for how Trestman would lead Goff in his second NFL season. Neither does his lack of success with the Chicago Bears as the head coach in 2013 and 2014.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/22/los-angeles-rams-marc-trestman-offensive-coordinator-target-rumors/

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
First of all, it's not an argument, it's a debate and I will give him credit for his first year, but the second was an epic fail to the point that the locker room was a complete disaster and after he was replaced by John Fox it was written about in Chicago that now they had someone that would hold the players accountable and not allow them to run the locker room.

Agreed he won't be calling plays if hired, but over his 30 year run in the NFL, he's been more unsuccessful than successful and IMHO, McVay does need experience assistants, but I would rather him be surrounded by assistants that have shared more success than failures.

Since when is the offensive coordinator in charge of running the locker room? That wont be his job. His defense was horrendous 31st, but his offense still produced. I think it has been established that he is not a good head coach, but he sure as hell knows offense.

The guy knows offense and thats what you hire an offensive coordinator. Lets just focus on year 2 Matt Forte had 10 TDs and nearly 2,000 yards from scrimmage. Alshon had 10 tds and 1,000 yards and hasn't done that since. Martellus Bennett had 900 yards and 6 tds, When Jay Cutler played 16 games he threw for a career high 28 TDs and second highest yardage total (and everyone knows by now no one can fix Cutler). Also cutlers highest QBR season and 2 of his 3 highest QB rating seasons, and he is not good. Brandon Marshall second highest TD total year 1 and hurt in year 2. Under Trestman guys at 4 different positions had the 2 best years of their career and haven't done anything like that since and you want to tell me he wasn't successful?

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Also cutlers highest QBR season and 2 of his 3 highest QB rating seasons, and he is not good. Brandon Marshall second highest TD total year 1 and hurt in year 2. Under Trestman guys at 4 different positions had the 2 best years of their career and haven't done anything like that since and you want to tell me he wasn't successful?

We will agree to disagree, if hired, I hope he's as good as you have posted, but I have concerns and it's not like people are knocking down his door.