O'dell Beckham Jr Threatened with Baseball Bat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well, it was the bat and some not too cute subtle hints about his sexuality. Odell was wrong, but O-Linemen have been hurling their bodies into the pile for YEARS and NOTHING has ever been done besides unnecessary roughness calls. To suspend him after the fact is basically the league signifying/admitting the officials (them again) were wrong in not ejecting BOTH players for their behavior. All the swinging and mask grabbing was over the top.
He talks trash, and can back it up with his play. Reminds me of a young Cortland Finnegan. Who I loved when he was good.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He was still wrong, but at least I know *why* he was acting that way now.
He shouldn't have let them in his head. He should have decided that he was going to shut them up with his play.
They bring a bat to every game, just one of the ridiculous things that their coach doesn't discourage. OBJ was dancing in front of their team, on their sideline, etc. So much was going on, but man, that cheap shot could have ended Norman's career, even his life.

In all the aftermath, what bothers me about OBJ, is that he says he doesn't even know why he was flagged on that play. Sound like anyone you know? Suh. If the kid doesn't acknowledge his part in what happened, it will keep happening. If someone doesn't reign him in, he's gonna get hurt too.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well, it was the bat and some not too cute subtle hints about his sexuality. Odell was wrong, but O-Linemen have been hurling their bodies into the pile for YEARS and NOTHING has ever been done besides unnecessary roughness calls. To suspend him after the fact is basically the league signifying/admitting the officials (them again) were wrong in not ejecting BOTH players for their behavior. All the swinging and mask grabbing was over the top.
He talks trash, and can back it up with his play. Reminds me of a young Cortland Finnegan. Who I loved when he was good.
He punched Finnegan at least 3 times in that same game too. What happened to the old, you throw a punch, and your ejected? Hell, Chris Long got thrown out of one game for not even throwing a punch. Double standards. It's why Steve Smith shouldn't have been able to do this crap his whole career. Bad example for the game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He punched Finnegan at least 3 times in that same game too. What happened to the old, you throw a punch, and your ejected? Hell, Chris Long got thrown out of one game for not even throwing a punch. Double standards. It's why Steve Smith shouldn't have been able to do this crap his whole career. Bad example for the game.
You know Finnegan had some words for him to evoke that punch too. Finnegan never shuts his yap. Carolina just gave the rest of the league a blue-print for taking the Giants' best player out of the game. All you gotta do is tease the guy and he'll fold like a lawn chair.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
It doesn't surprise me if that's the way it went down before the game.Alot of these players would be thugs on the street if it wasn't for their talent to play football.

fancents86

Starter
I guess I'm the minority here, but if that is true than Norman got what he deserved. You don't threaten a man like that unless you're willing to pay a price. I understand it's football, but threatening a mans career is beyond "shyt talking". Maybe it's my temper but IMO if you're gonna act like a bitch you're gonna get treated like one.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Y'all would hate me. If any player threatened my lively hood, I'd take out a knee. I do not care if they thought they were funny. A threat is a threat. They threatened his career, and that is unacceptable. I can tell you this, if I was OBJ, I would be suspended, but Norman would be missing the playoffs.

Imagine if you worked hard your entire life to accomplish your dream, then someone threatens to take it all away by making verbal threats about physical harm. What would you do?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Beckham was wrong and deserved to be ejected. So, the suspension is warranted.

But, if the Panthers did what they say... That too is silliness.

Not enough Larry Fitzgerald's in this game anymore.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
OBJ acted like a punk. I won't try to excuse it. It was like watching a kid having a temper tantrum at the store with everyone watching. More than that it was dangerous - he could have killed Norman running at his head like that.

That said, the Panthers warming up with bats is almost certainly an attempt to intimidate and put guys off their game. Athletes are notoriously superstitious and picky about their warm ups. If they get off put they get off their game. I can imagine annoyed if the other team are all walking round with bats on thier shoulders eyeballing you or getting up in your grill. I'd say "hey this isn't fair - I want a bat now.."

Even so - Beckhams excuse is ridiculous. He can't have been that intimidated by it - did he think they were going to beat them up on the field in front of thousands of people and cameras??

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
OBJ acted like a punk. I won't try to excuse it. It was like watching a kid having a temper tantrum at the store with everyone watching. More than that it was dangerous - he could have killed Norman running at his head like that.

That said, the Panthers warming up with bats is almost certainly an attempt to intimidate and put guys off their game. Athletes are notoriously superstitious and picky about their warm ups. If they get off put they get off their game. I can imagine annoyed if the other team are all walking round with bats on thier shoulders eyeballing you or getting up in your grill. I'd say "hey this isn't fair - I want a bat now.."

Even so - Beckhams excuse is ridiculous. He can't have been that intimidated by it - did he think they were going to beat them up on the field in front of thousands of people and cameras??
I know, kind of ridiculous.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
If he really thought that any of those players were going to hit him with the bat during the game then that's just sad. I could see being defensive if you're walking around your neighborhood and people are doing that. Not so much at a football game with cameras and thousands of people there watching.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
The best thing to do is make sure someone has a camera rolling, and when they come over a talk like that act all flustered. As soon as they walk away call nfl security and the police and have them charged with assult...let's see how their pregame warmup goes with police taking statements. ..lol

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Have yet to see any actual footage/proof anything actually happened.

This entire thread is based on hearsay.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Panthers are one of my most hated teams right now. Ever since that game where Sam tore his ACL. The whole team acted like A-holes. Bringing baseball bats on the field should be a violation. Threatening someone with one should be a fine. I am not a fan of Beckhams actions either but this type of instigation is not football. It's thuggery. If I was the commissioner I would clamp down on the baseball bat thing immediately.[/

If these reports are all true, I'm sure that Odell's suspension isn't the end of this story!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
it doesn't excuse OBJ's actions it was all talk but id have laughed at them and told them they better bring their bats onto the field as that would be the only way they were going to stop me.

I used to play county level rugby for Kent (think kinda like the pro bowl the best players from the county play for the team ) and I was playing against our local rivals for my club side (and the guy I was selected ahead of played for them ) all game he was making threats of this and that ,,,I went on to show him why I was selected ahead of him j

Last edited:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You know Finnegan had some words for him to evoke that punch too. Finnegan never shuts his yap. Carolina just gave the rest of the league a blue-print for taking the Giants' best player out of the game. All you gotta do is tease the guy and he'll fold like a lawn chair.

Really, do you honestly think that Finnegan would entice him like that? ;)

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I saw the video. My comment still stands.