NFC West Q&A: Does Cardinals QB Carson Palmer scare division opponents?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Thank you for the compliment, Rams43. You guys have treated me with nothing but respect.

You're probably right, but I also think we matchup better with you guys in other ways.
For example, we struggle against scrambling QBs. Foles is not that. I do think we have the OL to give your DL fits more than any other team in the division. Veldheer held his own twice against Quinn last year. I'm still nervous about Donald giving our interior OL hell, especially Shipley or whoever is starting at Center(our weakest point on the OL).
What I'm worried about the most is our ability to cover Cook this year. We did a good job last game, but he still loves to give us hell most of the time, so hopefully with the addition of Weatherspoon, UDFA guys who have good coverage skills, & Bucannon improving his coverage skills over the offseason, we can limit Cook's production.

I'm glad someone thinks Cook is good. LOL!

DVontel

Rookie
I also do remember when Horton left, a lot people in the division expected our D to fall off a lot.

Not saying the same will happen post-Bowles, but just a reminder that we do have a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball guys & we are running the same system Bowles ran with Bettcher.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes.

I don't think it's going to be a major step-back like we're going to be ranked in the 20s at the end of season in PPG, but I will say around 8th-14th area. We still have a lot of talent on this squad.

I do think our offense will be ranked around 5th-10th area, that is, if Carson remains healthy for the whole season.

Ellington had a foot injury before the season even began last year, so that's why our running game mostly struggled like it did.

"Let off the hook" = "The game was close the entire time but since the opponent scored last, they were let off the hook, instead of us losing fair & square."

Drew Stanton did more to beat you guys last year than Carson did. Honestly, if Carson never got hurt, we would've lost that game

I love his breakout speed. He just gotta do better in-between the tackles.
I must say, I was surprised Tre Mason lasted all the way until the 3rd round. You guys got a steal out of him. Had he played earlier, I think he would've gotten OROY considerations. Now add that with Gurley? Whew, I'm definitely not looking forward going against those guys.

The offense ranking depends entirely on how the run game gets established. I love Ellington and loved him in college I watched most every game of his time at Clemson. I always looked at him as a compliment back not a feature back but he had the ability to make game changing plays even if it was off limited touches, 5-10 carries + a few receptions. Duke Johnson from my limited knowledge looks the same type of guy. Iupati will definitely help that and Cooper might be able to shake the turf toe that made his sophmore season a letdown. I loved the pick of Shipley though, any thoughts on him maybe winning the Center job? I think the problem though lies in the tackles on the line. I was never a big fan of Veldheer and Massie is underwhelming, though he could lose the job to Humphries who would be good in the run game. All in all I could see it happening the talent is there. But like us it needs some young guys on the line to step up and a few people to stay healthy.

The duo of Long & Quinn have gave us major fits before, yes, but that was before the addition of Veldheer. Not saying it won't happen in the future, but I don't think it will be as difficult containing Quinn & Long compared to the past.

That's also assuming if you guys get the competitive & not the lazy Fairley.

I don't think Foles is better than a healthy Bradford, but I will he agree he is better than Davis & Hill

Homerism aside, how do you see the games going next year? Assuming everybody(hard to assume, I know) for both squads?
I could see a split both teams winning at home. The problem in that lies that our home game is after two very tough road games so we could be mentally and physically beat up after traveling to Baltimore and Cincinnati. Talk about a four game stretch vs tough defenses those @Ravens, @Bengals, vs Cardinals vs Lions. Make or break to start the 2nd half of the schedule.

Either way best of luck to you guys, except vs us, this coming season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also do remember when Horton left, a lot people in the division expected our D to fall off a lot.

Not saying the same will happen post-Bowles, but just a reminder that we do have a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball guys & we are running the same system Bowles ran with Bettcher.

Bowles imo was the coach of the year last year. I was hoping he wouldn't get a job and might be available if a move was made away from Fisher soon. Jest got a damned good coach.