NFC West Q&A: Does Cardinals QB Carson Palmer scare division opponents?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFC West Q&A: Does Cardinals QB Carson Palmer scare division opponents?
By Josh Weinfuss

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-car...als-qb-carson-palmer-scare-division-opponents

Today's question: In what ways does Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer, coming off another ACL injury, scare other NFC West teams?

Nick Wagoner, St. Louis Rams: I'm not sure at this stage Palmer does anything that really "scares" teams, at least not him personally. But what's more notable is what his presence means for the Cardinals as a whole. It’s pretty clear that Arizona is good enough defensively and has enough pieces on offense to be a legitimate contender when it has a quarterback capable of getting the ball down the field. Palmer brings a veteran presence who isn’t prone to big mistakes and can connect on the deep ball. He shredded the Rams in 2013, averaging nearly 300 yards per game in two matchups and might have reached that number again last year had he not suffered a torn ACL in the first meeting between the teams. The Rams still lost to Arizona twice last season but both games were close in the fourth quarter. When Palmer was fully healthy late in 2013, he led the Cardinals to an easy 30-10 win.

Paul Gutierrez, San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers never saw Palmer last season, losing to Drew Stanton in Week 3 at Arizona and beating Ryan Lindley in the regular-season finale in Santa Clara. You’d have to go back two years to the last time the Niners saw him. They beat Palmer twice even though he threw for 705 yards on 53-of-90 passing with four touchdowns and three interceptions. Alas, two years ago is a lifetime for this Niners defense, which returns just four starters from that first meeting -- nose tackle Glenn Dorsey, outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks, inside linebacker NaVorro Bowman and free safety Eric Reid. Plus, the 49ers are breaking in a new defensive coordinator in Eric Mangini, whose personnel dictates the Niners confuse and confound opponents, as opposed to simply dominating. As such, Palmer represents a different challenge as a heady veteran who might be able to pick apart a rebuilding, er, reloading defense on the fly. Palmer the game manager against the Niners might be more dangerous than Palmer the mad bomber.

Terry Blount, Seattle Seahawks: I don’t know that it scares them, but everyone in the division knows the Cardinals are going to be much better with Palmer back. Who knows what this team could have accomplished last season if Palmer had been on the field all year. The Seahawks were fortunate they didn’t have to face him in either game last season, a definite factor in the Cardinals scoring a total of nine points in those games. A quick look at a couple of stats shows a dramatic difference. Palmer threw 11 TD passes and only three interceptions in six games. The team had only 10 TD passes and nine interceptions in the last 10 regular-season games. Arizona was 5-1 with Palmer; 6-5 without him, including the playoff game loss at Carolina. So the rest of the division knows Palmer makes the Cardinals a much tougher opponent.

Big Willie

Starter
If the Cards protect him, the teams in the NFC west should be concerned about Carson Palmer....cause he can still play. Plus he has good WRs, a new RB, and a very good defense.

DVontel

Rookie
Palmer is 13-2 in his last 15 starts with an impressive 64.5 completion rate, 27:12 TD-to-INT ratio and a 96.1 passer rating.

Even though I expect our defense to take a step-back this year, I expect our offense to take a major step-up this year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What makes him more scary coming off his second ACL than Bradford? Is the talent on the Cards better than the Rams or does it just look different from a Rams fan perspective? I expect them to be tough this year but I think our defense can pound on an immobile Palmer.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He should...they basically remade the entire offensive line in the last 3 years...plus they have very good wr's...

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
F*#k Palmer, and the cardinals!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here I'd think Palmer would be more scared of the Rams, at least their defensive line. I'm confident he wakes up at night from bad dreams, soaked in sweat, with the thought that this year the Rams will have Long and Fairly, with AD starting, Brockers taking up two blockers, and Quinn charging at his blind side - gives ME goose bumps.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Carson Palmer is basically an older version of Nick Foles.

Alan

Legend
DVontel liking what he brings to the table:
Even though I expect our defense to take a step-back this year, I expect our offense to take a major step-up this year.
That's how I see it too.

There are a couple of major caveats to that rosy scenario though. Can Palmer stay healthy and has your D only taken one step back. I think the whole NFCW is going to look quite different this year. Different good for some and different bad for others.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The Cardinals are the scariest team in the NFC West (other than us, of course) - but little of that has to do with Palmer. He is a better than average QB when fully healthy but hardly elite.

I want to beat those motherf#ckers so bad this year.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Only when he's healthy, but the guy has a bad habit of going down when his team's in the thick of it. So I'm more worried if his team is shit than if it's really good.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. He doesn't scare any of these teams.

His numbers are about league average, and assigning him a W/L record is no different than doing it with Russell Wilson - it's dumb. Their strongest unit is and has been their D, so if anything we should be assigning the W/L record to Peterson or Campbell.

It's been pretty well documented how lucky the Cards have been the past two years, aside from injuries. Their D ranked 24th last year in yards allowed, they caught several teams at the right time or injured (Chargers week 1 botched snap by Rivers; Giants before OBJ, Cowboys with no Romo, Rams twice without starting QB). While Palmer missed a few games, they were still lucky to finish with the record they did. Also, Iupati was a key cog in the line that we destroyed for 8 sacks last year in SF. He'll help in the run game, but they still have 4 below average pass protectors, and I wont believe they can actually run the ball until I see it.

They'll probably beat us in Arizona, because we aren't a great team ourselves, but I wouldn't be surprised if we swept them.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Here is the series of events that will take place when Palmer plays the rams this year

20141109_pjc_ak4_148.JPG.0.jpg

13873383.jpg

458713120-quarterback-carson-palmer-of-the-arizona-gettyimages.jpg

carson-palmer-nfl-st.-louis-rams-arizona-cardinals2-850x560.jpg

imrs.php

needless to say..... No he doesnt scare me

Big Willie

Starter
What makes him more scary coming off his second ACL than Bradford? Is the talent on the Cards better than the Rams or does it just look different from a Rams fan perspective? I expect them to be tough this year but I think our defense can pound on an immobile Palmer.
Carson has been an exceptional QB before, unlike Bradford. Granted, he's old and immobile, but if they can protect him....he should have a very good year. While the Rams defense can get after QBs, teams that get the "ball out quickly" will give them trouble. Throw in exceptional coaching (which the Cards have) and Arians will find a way for them to score points. Personally, the Cardinals are my favorites to win the West and unseat the Hawks. (The Rams finish 3rd with 10 wins)

DVontel

Rookie
No. He doesn't scare any of these teams.

His numbers are about league average, and assigning him a W/L record is no different than doing it with Russell Wilson - it's dumb. Their strongest unit is and has been their D, so if anything we should be assigning the W/L record to Peterson or Campbell.

It's been pretty well documented how lucky the Cards have been the past two years, aside from injuries. Their D ranked 24th last year in yards allowed, they caught several teams at the right time or injured (Chargers week 1 botched snap by Rivers; Giants before OBJ, Cowboys with no Romo, Rams twice without starting QB). While Palmer missed a few games, they were still lucky to finish with the record they did. Also, Iupati was a key cog in the line that we destroyed for 8 sacks last year in SF. He'll help in the run game, but they still have 4 below average pass protectors, and I wont believe they can actually run the ball until I see it.

They'll probably beat us in Arizona, because we aren't a great team ourselves, but I wouldn't be surprised if we swept them.
Ah, so since it's the Cards that have finish with a 21-11 record the past 2 years, it's luck.

But hey, if it was the Rams, I'm pretty sure it would have nothing to do with luck, amiright? :rolleyes:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams should be ashamed of themselves for losing that 2nd game vs the Cards.
Arians should be ashamed of himself for his post game comments that backfired to the tune of 3 straight losses and concluded with a playoff pie in the face.

Palmer is a good QB, but he's 35 yrs old. If he doesn't get smashed their offense will purr like a cat in 2015.
Last season here's where both units finished in points per game.
Offense: 19.4 scored(24th)
Defense: 18.7 allowed(5th)

You do the math. The offense is going to HAVE to be better in 2015 because i'd be willing to bet the jersey off my back that the Cards D isn't going to be as stingy this season.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Cards QB's vs the Rams recently:
Derek Anderson(benched)
Max Hall(knocked out)
Kevin Kolb(bludgeoned)
Carson Palmer(injured)
Drew Stanton(injured)

Did i miss anyone?

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Ah, so since it's the Cards that have finish with a 21-11 record the past 2 years, it's luck.

But hey, if it was the Rams, I'm pretty sure it would have nothing to do with luck, amiright? :rolleyes:

I know its tough for a fan to admit but he was right... The ball just seemed to bounce the cards way in the 4th quarter of games and most of it was luck.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Do the Rams fear Carson Palmer? I hope not, we have to respect every team we play, but there's a pretty obvious difference between respect and fear, and though healthy, fear is one of the hardest emotions to control. Does Palmer fear the Rams defensive line? I'm sure he'd rather not, but I don't know how he can put that game out of his head.

Do I fear Palmer? No, but I respect the Cardinals and will admit that they are a team on the rise since Arians started coaching them. Do I hate hate hate Arians and want to see him choke on a Rams sweep and visit to the bottom of our division? Hell yes.

I want to see him crying to the refs all season long as he loses every game ...
1410311024000-bruce-arians.jpg

That is my honest opinion.