NFC West Q&A: Does Cardinals QB Carson Palmer scare division opponents?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I always thought he was a super talented QB who just had bad luck with injuries. I respect him - if he's playing then you know he'll give you a good game. But I bet he scares Arizona fans more than he scares us because of his injury problems.

Reminds me of someone I once knew....can't recall who though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think the Rams respect Palmer, and the Cardinals. Palmer is good, but he's one dimensional compared to Wilson and Kaeperdick.

Thankfully, I don't think any player or team scares the Rams right now.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Palmer is 13-2 in his last 15 starts with an impressive 64.5 completion rate, 27:12 TD-to-INT ratio and a 96.1 passer rating.

Even though I expect our defense to take a step-back this year, I expect our offense to take a major step-up this year.
Let me get this^ Clear in my head. When you say" .... Our Defense to take a step Back" your referring to the Cards right!?

A55VA6

Legend
Carson Palmer doesn't scare me, but he's pretty solid. I respect him. I don't think he likes the Rams very much though. haha!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Do I fear Palmer? No, but I respect the Cardinals and will admit that they are a team on the rise since Arians started coaching them. Do I hate hate hate Arians and want to see him choke on a Rams sweep and visit to the bottom of our division? Hell yes.

My sentiments exactly.

DVontel

Rookie
I know its tough for a fan to admit but he was right... The ball just seemed to bounce the cards way in the 4th quarter of games and most of it was luck.
Yea, nothing to do with clutch stops or the defense buckling down in the 4th or anything. o_O

And speaking of "bounce the ball in *insert any team here* way", does that not happen in your everyday football game?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Does Cardinals QB Carson Palmer scare division opponents?

Can you give me a 'Hell No!' ? I don't think any team fears him at this point.

DVontel

Rookie
Let me get this^ Clear in my head. When you say" .... Our Defense to take a step Back" your referring to the Cards right!?
Yes.

I don't think it's going to be a major step-back like we're going to be ranked in the 20s at the end of season in PPG, but I will say around 8th-14th area. We still have a lot of talent on this squad.

I do think our offense will be ranked around 5th-10th area, that is, if Carson remains healthy for the whole season.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Ah, so since it's the Cards that have finish with a 21-11 record the past 2 years, it's luck.

But hey, if it was the Rams, I'm pretty sure it would have nothing to do with luck, amiright? :rolleyes:
thats-my-quarterback.jpg

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Yes.

I don't think it's going to be a major step-back like we're going to be ranked in the 20s at the end of season in PPG, but I will say around 8th-14th area. We still have a lot of talent on this squad.

I do think our offense will be ranked around 5th-10th area, that is, if Carson remains healthy for the whole season.
Get any resemblance of a running game in Arizona and I might believe you. AZ didn't scare me last year and they don't scare me this year. As far as I'm concerned, they were let off the hook twice by the Rams last year and let's not bring Palmer up in those games because he played a good chunk of the first game before getting hurt and we had freaking Shaun Hill and Austin Davis.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams situation on O scares me more than any other teams O in the West.
If the Cardinals can run the ball well their O can be very good with Palmer however.

DVontel

Rookie
Get any resemblance of a running game in Arizona and I might believe you. AZ didn't scare me last year and they don't scare me this year. As far as I'm concerned, they were let off the hook twice by the Rams last year and let's not bring Palmer up in those games because he played a good chunk of the first game before getting hurt and we had freaking Shaun Hill and Austin Davis.
Ellington had a foot injury before the season even began last year, so that's why our running game mostly struggled like it did.

"Let off the hook" = "The game was close the entire time but since the opponent scored last, they were let off the hook, instead of us losing fair & square."

Drew Stanton did more to beat you guys last year than Carson did. Honestly, if Carson never got hurt, we would've lost that game

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ellington had a foot injury before the season even began last year, so that's why our running game mostly struggled like it did.

"Let off the hook" = "The game was close the entire time but since the opponent scored last, they were let off the hook, instead of us losing fair & square."

Drew Stanton did more to beat you guys last year than Carson did. Honestly, if Carson never got hurt, we would've lost that game

I got to be honest; I like Ellington. He's a damn good RB. Under the radar type.

DVontel

Rookie
I got to be honest; I like Ellington. He's a damn good RB. Under the radar type.
I love his breakout speed. He just gotta do better in-between the tackles.
I must say, I was surprised Tre Mason lasted all the way until the 3rd round. You guys got a steal out of him. Had he played earlier, I think he would've gotten OROY considerations. Now add that with Gurley? Whew, I'm definitely not looking forward going against those guys.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I do too, but it remains to be seen how durable he is. So far not so much. He may become the Donnie Avery of RB's.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

EXACTLY, not scared of Palmer or the Cardinals. As far as Ellington goes, his being prone to injury has a lot to do with my feelings about the offense. That and there's no solid #2 behind him.

DVontel

Rookie
EXACTLY, not scared of Palmer or the Cardinals. As far as Ellington goes, his being prone to injury has a lot to do with my feelings about the offense. That and there's no solid #2 behind him.
You shouldn't be scared, but I do feel like we match up better against you guys than other team in the division, regardless who's at QB.

That's why we drafted David Johnson in the 3rd round, so Ellington won't have to carry the load. Kerwynn Williams could also be a solid player in the long run. He showed a lot of promise last season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Carson Palmer is basically an older version of Nick Foles.
If Nick turns into Carson, I won't be mad.....

but little of that has to do with Palmer. He is a better than average QB when fully healthy but hardly elite.
Define elite? Franchise QB I'm assuming too, right? Carson Palmer career stats..oh click that..

His numbers are about league average
See link above, then click this....

how lucky the Cards have been the past two years
Define luck? Seriously, great coaching job, but hardly luck is involved in getting to the playoffs...teams make their own luck...from pressuring the opponent..offensively, defensively, or special teams.

Palmer is a good QB, but he's 35 yrs old.
This DOES have some validity....but see above link to FrantikRam and this one..Funny thing about that list from over a year ago, every QB on it is pretty damn good except Shaun Hill, and Josh McCown....the sad part of those two teams is that I love the Rams and usually, I get to laugh at the Bucs decisions...Now, which team has new #1 pick QB?

we have to respect every team we play
so true...and everyone that plays the game...

I respect the Cardinals and will admit that they are a team on the rise since Arians started coaching them. Do I hate hate hate Arians and want to see him choke on a Rams sweep and visit to the bottom of our division? Hell yes.
The only thing I wish for is a sweep of all the NFC West teams....playoffs can wait...well, I'd take that too, those 2 things probably come hand in hand...;)(y) Arians is an a$$hole...that comment about always being 8-8 will be stuck in my mind for a long time...Fisher & Snead gotta be burning...These next 2 games are gonna be fun....

I was gonna post some Carson highlights, but figured I'd try and explain this, when Cinnci was winning a few years ago, Palmer played at a pretty high level for a decent amount of time.Over 60% completion percentage every year but 1..he's only been injured and missed time twice in his career. As you can see, his injury occurred well after Bradford's, and he's easily moving around.... Former #1 overall, and decent QB...In fact, I would be ecstatic if Nick Foles played as good as him...for us as fans to down grade an opponent (who can actually..like...play) for no other reason than injuries.....seems silly.

I'm a RAMS FAN...but...respect your opponents, makes the wins sweeter.....I can respect the Cards, hell the Seahawks, and Niners...and hate them even more....lol:cool:

That's why we drafted David Johnson in the 3rd round, so Ellington won't have to carry the load. Kerwynn Williams could also be a solid player in the long run. He showed a lot of promise last season.
WHO?!?! You do realize you are on the site, that ummm, has been debating when Gurley goes to Canton, should he take G-Rob with him???