NFC West Q&A: Does Cardinals QB Carson Palmer scare division opponents?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
You shouldn't be scared, but I do feel like we match up better against you guys than other team in the division, regardless who's at QB.

That's why we drafted David Johnson in the 3rd round, so Ellington won't have to carry the load. Kerwynn Williams could also be a solid player in the long run. He showed a lot of promise last season.

First of all, I would like to compliment you on your posting style, DVontel. You are both knowledgeable and respectful, and both are appreciated.

However...

I do believe that with a true starting QB, we would have split with you last year at the very least. I am admittedly biased, but missing our #1 QB was a disadvantage that cannot be overstated. Davis' mistakes snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in that one game. Sigh...

I do expect knock down drag out games between the Seahawks, Cards, and Rams all season long. Niners, not so much this year. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the "big 3" split with each other and all 3 beat the snot out of the Niners twice each.

Having said all that, I have great respect for both Arians and his team. He can coach for my team any old time. He gets results, and he gets them damned quickly. I love that.

DVontel

Rookie
First of all, I would like to compliment you on your posting style, DVontel. You are both knowledgeable and respectful, and both are appreciated.

However...

I do believe that with a true starting QB, we would have split with you last year at the very least. I am admittedly biased, but missing our #1 QB was a disadvantage that cannot be overstated. Davis' mistakes snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in that one game. Sigh...

I do expect knock down drag out games between the Seahawks, Cards, and Rams all season long. Niners, not so much this year. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the "big 3" split with each other and all 3 beat the snot out of the Niners twice each.

Having said all that, I have great respect for both Arians and his team. He can coach for my team any old time. He gets results, and he gets them damned quickly. I love that.
Thank you for the compliment, Rams43. You guys have treated me with nothing but respect.

You're probably right, but I also think we matchup better with you guys in other ways.
For example, we struggle against scrambling QBs. Foles is not that. I do think we have the OL to give your DL fits more than any other team in the division. Veldheer held his own twice against Quinn last year. I'm still nervous about Donald giving our interior OL hell, especially Shipley or whoever is starting at Center(our weakest point on the OL).
What I'm worried about the most is our ability to cover Cook this year. We did a good job last game, but he still loves to give us hell most of the time, so hopefully with the addition of Weatherspoon, UDFA guys who have good coverage skills, & Bucannon improving his coverage skills over the offseason, we can limit Cook's production.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank you for the compliment, Rams43. You guys have treated me with nothing but respect.

You're probably right, but I also think we matchup better with you guys in other ways.
For example, we struggle against scrambling QBs. Foles is not that. I do think we have the OL to give your DL fits more than any other team in the division. Veldheer held his own twice against Quinn last year. I'm still nervous about Donald giving our interior OL hell, especially Shipley or whoever is starting at Center(our weakest point on the OL).
What I'm worried about the most is our ability to cover Cook this year. We did a good job last game, but he still loves to give us hell most of the time, so hopefully with the addition of Weatherspoon, UDFA guys who have good coverage skills, & Bucannon improving his coverage skills over the offseason, we can limit Cook's production.

I also feel like the Rams match up better with the Cards than any other team. The last time we played you with a starting NFL QB, we won. People want to bash Foles as if he's nothing special, and I'm a bit reserved on him as well, but nobody would disagree that he's better than what we had last year - and that alone should scare opponents.

DVontel

Rookie
I also feel like the Rams match up better with the Cards than any other team. The last time we played you with a starting NFL QB, we won. People want to bash Foles as if he's nothing special, and I'm a bit reserved on him as well, but nobody would disagree that he's better than what we had last year - and that alone should scare opponents.
I honestly think you guys matchup better with Seattle than any other team in the division.
Your great DL going against their terrible OL & you guys play against Russell better than other team does in the division.

This is how I see it:
We matchup better with you guys.
You guys matchup better with Seattle.
Seattle matches up better with us(especially since they have Graham, who always seemed to give us trouble)
San Fran....I don't think they'll matchup better with anybody for a while.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I agree that Veldheer (sp?) played well last year, DVontel. Excellent pickup for you guys from the hapless Raiders.

But I disagree that your OL matches up with our DL. Even the Dallas OL line would find ours a handful now, I believe. The second half of the season found us with the 5th ranked D in the league. And now we've added Fairley on a prove it contract year. Plus Ayers and another year's experience for the other youngsters. I sincerely believe that our D will be a Beast this year, and one that will benefit from having leads to play with at times as a big extra boost.

Yeah, Cook is a problem matchup, too. But honestly, Foles is the biggest Ram improvement on our O, and it's not even close. The mere presence of an NFL quality starting QB will dramatically improve all phases of the Ram O.

Not unlike when Palmer joined your team. So don't be surprised if we all see a "miraculous" improvement in the various receivers and our running attack.

Of course, it's all speculation until one team or another proves it on the field.

Nice discussion, man.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Does Carson scare me? No. Larry does. Once Larry is gone, Carson will fade. I have some respect for Floyd and John Brown, but they can't prop up Carson's career.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
In the OP Wagner states "Palmer shredded the Rams". Really? I saw those games and I would not call his play shredding the Rams by any stretch. Nick almost comes off as a Cardinal homer auditioning for a job as their beat writer with his blurb. In three and a half games against the Rams Palmer has had his moments for sure but in Palmer's last game against the Rams, the Rams shredded him.

Fear Palmer?? HECK NO!! but he should be respected and I respect (But still hate) the Cardinals team as well because they are talented.

Note: Under Arians and Palmer in the head to head matchups where both teams fielded heir true starting QBs (Palmer vs Bradford) the Rams were 1-0.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hey Fellas, found something...

LINK

larry-fitzgerald-e.j.-gaines-nfl-arizona-cardinals-st.-louis-rams-850x560.jpg

Dec 11, 2014; St. Louis, MO, USA; St. Louis Rams cornerback E.J. Gaines (33) trips up Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald (11) during the second half at the Edward Jones Dome. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

2015 NFL Predictions: Arizona Cardinals or St. Louis Rams better shot to win NFC West?
by Dan Salem 3h ago

Setting the Seahawks aside, who has the best chance to win the NFC West, the Arizona Cardinals or St. Louis Rams? All your 2015 NFL predictions before we hit week one. Dan Salem and Todd Salem debate in today’s NFL Sports Debate. Check out more of the brothers in Seesaw Sports Debate on BuzzChomp. Two brothers from New York yell, scream, and debate sports.

TODD:

Fansided Daily
FanSided Daily brings you the hottest content on your favorite teams. Sign up today.

Who has the better chance to win the NFC West, the Arizona Cardinals or the St. Louis Rams?

Now I obviously still believe that the Seattle Seahawks will triumph in this division, but that is likely not up for debate. What IS up for debate is who has the best chance to upset them (forget the 49ers!), and I actually think it’s the Rams.

Sure, Arizona was a full five games better than St. Louis last season and still three games better the season before. However, the two squads are trending relatively evenly right now with STL on the rise and ARI due to regress.

First off, they both had and should continue to have strong defenses. The Rams could put the best pass rush on the field in the entire NFL with their front four rotation. Meanwhile, Arizona is retooling its defense but not rebuilding. The secondary is superb when healthy and Calais Campbell anchors the front.

But “when healthy” is the caveat that may vanquish the Cardinals in this contest. Will Tyrann Mathieu stay on the field? Can Andre Ellington stay on the field? Most importantly, what about Carson Palmer?

The entire success of the offense rests on the health of Palmer’s repaired knee. The Rams don’t have the same level of talent on this side of the ball, but I think Nick Foles is grossly underrated at the quarterback position. The Rams do have health questions of their own with Foles himself, as well as Todd Gurley and Brian Quick returning from major injuries.

I guess it comes down to strength against strength for me. The Rams defensive front is a better unit than anything on the Cardinals team. That gives them a slight edge in my mind. Plus, look out for the Foles bounce-back year!

DAN:

If neither the Cardinals nor Rams can actually take down the Seahawks, then they’ll certainly be playing for second place in the NFC West and a wildcard berth. Sorry not sorry San Francisco. But if one team is to overtake the reigning division champions and steal the NFC West in 2015, it will be the St. Louis Rams.

More From NFL
Your points about these teams being rather even are well taken, despite Arizona’s dominance in recent years. I’m not as quick to dismiss the upheaval caused by former defensive coordinator Todd Bowles departure from the Cardinals, however.

When a coordinator leaves to become a head coach, you know he was something special. Coaches often get ‘demoted’ to coordinator jobs, but the promotions are more noteworthy. Bowles was outstanding in his two seasons with the Cardinals, winning AP Assistant coach of the year last season and leading Arizona’s defense to back to back seasons ranking 6th (2013) and 5th (2014) overall in points allowed per game.

The impact of a coaching change is difficult to quantify, but strength of schedule is not. Both the Rams and Cardinals play nearly identical schedules, with matching division opponents and games against the NFC North and AFC North. But Arizona will also face the New Orleans Saints and Philadelphia Eagles, two up-tempo and high powered offensive attacks. St. Louis faces the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins, two teams immersed in transition and question marks. Those two games will make a major difference in the final standings.

Arizona and St. Louis face off for the final time in week thirteen, after which the Cardinals must run the gauntlet over the final four weeks. Good luck against Minnesota, Philadelphia, Green Bay, and Seattle. The Rams will be licking their chops against Detroit, Tampa Bay, Seattle, and ultimately San Francisco. Going 3-1 or 2-2 down the stretch will make all the difference that St. Louis needs, compared to 1-3 for their division foes. Rams take the West.

Dan Salem is a Staff Writer for NFL Spinzone. He’s also Lead Editor, Staff Writer, and Featured Vlogger at BuzzChomp, and a New York Jets Analyst for Pro Football Spot. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or Instagram.

Todd Salem is a Staff Writer for NFL Spinzone. He’s also a Contributing Editor at BuzzChomp, a Featured Columnist at Bleacher Report, and an Analyst for Tipster Labs, among others. Follow him on Twitter.

pixel.gif

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

Don't forget we were missing Chris Long for one of those games and he wasn't nearly the same in his 3rd game back against AZ. The combo of Long and Quinn gave AZ major fits. A healthy Long along with Fairley added to the mix will make last year's defense even scarier. Also, we have a much more competent QB to get the ball to Cook and Co. than we did last year. The last time we had a decent QB under center, Cook went bonkers against the Cards.

DVontel

Rookie
Don't forget we were missing Chris Long for one of those games and he wasn't nearly the same in his 3rd game back against AZ. The combo of Long and Quinn gave AZ major fits. A healthy Long along with Fairley added to the mix will make last year's defense even scarier. Also, we have a much more competent QB to get the ball to Cook and Co. than we did last year. The last time we had a decent QB under center, Cook went bonkers against the Cards.
The duo of Long & Quinn have gave us major fits before, yes, but that was before the addition of Veldheer. Not saying it won't happen in the future, but I don't think it will be as difficult containing Quinn & Long compared to the past.

That's also assuming if you guys get the competitive & not the lazy Fairley.

I don't think Foles is better than a healthy Bradford, but I will he agree he is better than Davis & Hill

Homerism aside, how do you see the games going next year? Assuming everybody(hard to assume, I know) for both squads?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The duo of Long & Quinn have gave us major fits before, yes, but that was before the addition of Veldheer. Not saying it won't happen in the future, but I don't think it will be as difficult containing Quinn & Long compared to the past.

I don't think Foles is better than a healthy Bradford, but I will he agree he is better than Davis & Hill

Homerism aside, how do you see the games going next year? Assuming everybody(hard to assume, I know) for both squads?
Forget the quarterback, Foles will be an upgrade regardless and have a positive impact on all of our "skill players". I personally think everyone underestimates our receivers. We definitely have some great running backs and tight ends, and have a new offensive coordinator who just has to be an upgrade over Shottenheimer, right?

None of that matters if our offensive line which could showcase as many as two rookies doesn't succeed. It really all depends on how that plays out, and because of that it takes a more knowledgeable fan than myself to make any predictions about this season :)

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

Correct, Veldheer has been great for you guys, but my point was even withthe addition of Veldheer, the Cardinals didn't get to see the complete D-line of the Rams with a healthy Long. That's without factoring in a force like Aaron Donald in his second year and Michael Brockers in his third year. Fairley reported to minicamp in AMAZING shape, so I'm sure he will be very competitive especially considering he's working on a prove it deal. Hell, Fairley isn't even penciled in as a starter.

As far as the games go, I realistically see a split in the two matchups.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Correct, Veldheer has been great for you guys, but my point was even withthe addition of Veldheer, the Cardinals didn't get to see the complete D-line of the Rams with a healthy Long. That's without factoring in a force like Aaron Donald in his second year and Michael Brockers in his third year. Fairley reported to minicamp in AMAZING shape, so I'm sure he will be very competitive especially considering he's working on a prove it deal. Hell, Fairley isn't even penciled in as a starter.

As far as the games go, I realistically see a split in the two matchups.
I was with you all the way until you gave them a win this season. We're sweeping those red turkeys!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Palmer scary? no.
However, I wouldn't underestimate him either. The guy can pick a team apart at times.
He's had some big years in his career. Much bigger than the "game manager" persona some identify him as being.
Iv'e also seen some QB's really hit their prime and have great years between 35 and 40. Guys like Moon and Cunningham had great years later in their careers. Even after losing some athletic ability. Palmer is a smart QB.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
We lost to them last season, but fucking Brandon Weeden was our damn QB. Oi vey.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I was with you all the way until you gave them a win this season. We're sweeping those red turkeys!
Yeah, I want to believe that, but after losing two to them last year I will just go with 1-1. We can definitely sweep them but will we? I sure as hell hope so.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion
Rams should be ashamed of themselves for losing that 2nd game vs the Cards.
Arians should be ashamed of himself for his post game comments that backfired to the tune of 3 straight losses and concluded with a playoff pie in the face.

Palmer is a good QB, but he's 35 yrs old. If he doesn't get smashed their offense will purr like a cat in 2015.
You mean Pick 6 Davis should feel ashamed! That damn bastard basically handed the game off to them! I don't really hold Carson's age against him because one position you can play as a older guy and that's Qb ( enter Kurt Warner)
I hate hate hate Arians and want to see him choke on a Rams sweep and visit to the bottom of our division? Hell yes.

I want to see him crying to the refs all season long as he loses every game ...
1410311024000-bruce-arians.jpg

That is my honest opinion.
Dude come on! You mean the bottom of the division with the Whiners right under them right? lol Whiners should always be rooted to come in 4th!
You shouldn't be scared, but I do feel like we match up better against you guys than other team in the division, regardless who's at QB.

That's why we drafted David Johnson in the 3rd round, so Ellington won't have to carry the load. Kerwynn Williams could also be a solid player in the long run. He showed a lot of promise last season.
I agree, I feel that you guys will give us the best match up this year out of the division games! I'll be in AZ with a Rams Warner jersey :)

We lost to them last season, but freaking Brandon Weeden was our damn QB. Oi vey.

Dude stop the excuses already, Brandon Weeden has already been inducted into the HOF! Geez...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I honestly think you guys matchup better with Seattle than any other team in the division.
Your great DL going against their terrible OL & you guys play against Russell better than other team does in the division.

This is how I see it:
We matchup better with you guys.
You guys matchup better with Seattle.
Seattle matches up better with us(especially since they have Graham, who always seemed to give us trouble)
San Fran....I don't think they'll matchup better with anybody for a while.

After thinking about this, I guess I have to agree. But if everyone was healthy, all year, homerism aside, it's either a split or a Rams sweep.

We've gone 3-3 against you guys the last three years (under Fisher)...only 1-4 against Arians, but the 3 losses were all started by backup QBs for the Rams - whereas only one of those games was started by a backup for the Cardinals. Our only win was a squeaker at home though. Our two losses last year were pretty close (the first game we were actually winning in the 4th quarter).

Ironically, we are only 2-4 against Seattle the last three years, and only 2-3-1 against the Niners - with all 3 losses coming by double digits, and the two wins coming by FGs.

The 4 losses to the Hawks, only 2 were by double digits.

So technically, I think our worst matchup has been SF. They've blown us out a few times.

Cardncub

Rookie
I do too, but it remains to be seen how durable he is. So far not so much. He may become the Donnie Avery of RB's.

He's had 1 injury in 2 years. He wasn't out of the line up until the last 4 games of last year.