New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In all of this, I'm just not convinced the NFL actually wants the Chargers to leave SD with a new stadium or without. They are still averaging upwards of 65,000 fans over the last decade in a supposed inferior stadium. I admit that I haven't been to a Chargers/Rams game in years but I never thought the stadium wasn't a fan friendly place. By the same token, I have never been to the Dome so I can't really compare.

This has nothing to do with Rams attendance as I wouldn't expect the Dome to be filled after so many years of futility. I'm just talking about the SD market on its own.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I don't think St Louis fans will be happy the Rams leave, even if the Raiders replace them. While some fans will make the switch quickly, and some will switch as time goes on, I think there would rightfully be a sour taste left in the mouths of many of residents of the Lou.
I meant the the NFL and the 3 owners.

If the NFL wants to do LA right, they're not letting the Chargers and Raiders in LA with Goldman Sachs funding the stadium. Carson has too many holes, I can't see it.

The whole Carson thing is odd Bc the the Raiders don't even go to carson and try to excite the people . It's only the people in the Chargers organization like Fabani pushing the stadium issue in Carson since day one.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I meant the the NFL and the 3 owners.

If the NFL wants to do LA right, they're not letting the Chargers and Raiders in LA with Goldman Sachs funding the stadium. Carson has too many holes, I can't see it.

The whole Carson thing is odd Bc the the Raiders don't even go to carson and try to excite the people . It's only the people in the Chargers organization like Fabani pushing the stadium issue in Carson since day one.

Gotcha... Yeah I agree the NFL probably isn't as big on the Carson project as the Inglewood project in the sense of pure dollars, as well as the fact that the fanbases are even more disgusted than a normal move because they're teaming up with arch rivals. However they probably are in favor of the California solution, if one of them could bring about something more like the Inglewood proposal it'd be a potential game changer. That being said, I agree I never really got the feeling Davis is as excited and interested in Carson as Spanos is, but I do think he's interested in LA... At the same time I think he may be interested in anything that works though.

MrMotes

Starter
In all of this, I'm just not convinced the NFL actually wants the Chargers to leave SD with a new stadium or without. They are still averaging upwards of 65,000 fans over the last decade in a supposed inferior stadium. I admit that I haven't been to a Chargers/Rams game in years but I never thought the stadium wasn't a fan friendly place. By the same token, I have never been to the Dome so I can't really compare.

This has nothing to do with Rams attendance as I wouldn't expect the Dome to be filled after so many years of futility. I'm just talking about the SD market on its own.

The Chargers have been there for 45 years and, for the most part, have good thing going in SD. I have a hard time seeing them leave too. But we will see...

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
There's still a long ways to go though, now that it seems a lot more people seem to be coming to peace with the idea the Rams may leave town, you know something will happen and they'll stay. That's just how these things go.:LOL:

I'm not coming to peace with it, but I just think it's going to happen unless the Carson project really gets rolling. That is the only hope I'm holding on to.

I was born in 1995, the St. Louis Rams are the only Rams I've known, I have no clue what the hell I'm gonna do if they move, I'll still love all the players, but extreme hatred for the owner. This sucks so much. I wouldn't wish this on any fan base.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think those questions are totally reasonable in keeping with the fact that he knows he is not getting an answer to them. If he realistically thought he would get an interview, they'd be toned down. Still, I don't necessarily blame Randy. It has to be frustrating for him.

And I'm sorry but there is nothing angelic about Khan and his business tactics.

Nobody is saying Khan is an angel, I don't recall anyone ever saying that anywhere. The only thing I'm saying, and that anyone from what I've read has ever said, is that Khan's ties to the area are stronger than Stan's. His business isn't real estate. He is/was a season ticket owner. He is involved with UI. And he has shown a willingness to invest in the team he ended up buying by improving the stadium and the customer experience. That doesn't make him an angel or a hero, it makes him far less likely to move his hometown football team had he purchased them. There's been a lot of confusion on that point lately, that if someone did want or now wishes that Khan would have gotten the team that means they view Khan as a better person. That's not the case at all.

bluecoconuts

Legend
And he has shown a willingness to invest in the team he ended up buying by improving the stadium and the customer experience.

To be fair, the Jaguars are also stuck in their lease until 2030, and in order to get out of it they need to open their books and show they lost money one year, and then were below league average the next two years (meaning the other teams also have to open their books) which is just not going to happen. If the Jags were free to move, we have no idea what Khan would do, he may be less inclined to invest there.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
To be fair, the Jaguars are also stuck in their lease until 2030, and in order to get out of it they need to open their books and show they lost money one year, and then were below league average the next two years (meaning the other teams also have to open their books) which is just not going to happen. If the Jags were free to move, we have no idea what Khan would do, he may be less inclined to invest there.

To be fair, Jacksonville isn't where he lived, nor was it his first choice of team. If the Jaguars were free to move, I'd bet I could guess where they would end up in 2016.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
A few months ago I thought the Rams were going to LA for sure, that it was just a matter of time. Then I saw a few more press releases that had me convinced that it was a long shot at best. Now I'm sure they are going to be back in LA soon...maybe as soon as the 2016 season playing at the Rose Bowl until Inglewood is ready.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not really sure. I thought you were joking about Pakistan.

Yes, he was born in Pakistan and did leave when he was 16. Worth more money than I thought he was at the time he was interested in buying the Rams. Most were shocked including Kahn when Stan decided to purchase the rest of the Rams and of course Kronke got them at a bargain and now stands to either way make a huge profit because that is what billionaires do.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'm starting to get the feeling, and this is my own opinion that Stan may sell the Rams to a local ownership group. If what is being reported is correct and the state legislature will not stop the stadium funding from happening then the NFL will be obligated to keep the Rams in St. Louis. If that's the case, Stan poisoned his St. Louis well already. Besides if he wants to own a team in LA he might be able to buy out the partners of Mark Davis and then move the Raiders. I don't think Stan Kroenke wants to own the "St. Louis" Rams anymore

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm starting to get the feeling, and this is my own opinion that Stan may sell the Rams to a local ownership group. If what is being reported is correct and the state legislature will not stop the stadium funding from happening then the NFL will be obligated to keep the Rams in St. Louis. If that's the case, Stan poisoned his St. Louis well already. Besides if he wants to own a team in LA he might be able to buy out the partners of Mark Davis and then move the Raiders. I don't think Stan Kroenke wants to own the "St. Louis" Rams anymore

That's not going to happen IMO and the NFL is not obligated to do anything. They can't force Kroenke to sell the Rams. Unfortunately Kroenke IMO is going to get what he wants and because of the built in fan base and the populatiry of the Rams, Kroenke wants to bring the Rams back to Los Angeles. The Los Angeles Times Poll had people favoring the Rams significantly like 84%, 10% Raiders & 6% Chargers.

I don't think Los Angeles wants the Raiders, if they end up with two teams they would prefer the Rams & Chargers so IMO, Kroenke's not selling and the financing for the new stadium even if they get public money includes Kroenke kicking in 250 million. Nobody has answered what if Kroenke does not want to kick in that amount?

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I'm trying to figure out the endgame and what the league and the 3 owners want.

1. Rams move to LA in 2016. Stadium construction begins this December in Inglewood. Stan gets his wish,
establishes the Rams brand first. NFL gets their wish with a team in LA.

2. SD and Oakland will negotiate in 2016 with their city's. The threat in LA is greater Bc the Inglewood stadium is under construction and could host 2 teams.

3. STL comes up with the money and will welcome the Raiders if they can't get a stadium.

4. If SD gets a stadium they stay put. If they can't they move to LA in 2017.

4. If the Raiders get a stadium they stay put. If LA is occupied with the Rams and Chargers, then the Raiders could move to STL.

5. If SD gets a stadium, the Rams already in LA, the Raiders stay in Oakland or move to STL. The league could use LA as a leverage for years to come. I don't think the league wants 3 teams in SoCal.

Everyone will be happy expect Mark Davis Bc he might be forced to STL. No way they continue to play at the crappy place in OAK. Maybe Mark doesn't mind moving to STL idk but Mark can't get a free ride to LA and make that money Bc Stan and Spanos will be in SoCal.
1. You forgot Oakland and San Diego to L.A. and Rams stay in St. Louis. I know you don't like it but that is in fact one of the scenarios that could happen regardless of the "actions speak louder than words" line. The fact still is out of all 3 cities St. Louis is the only one with a viable stadium plan and very likely have their portion of the funding situated by the end of the year.
2. Not everybody will be happy no matter what happens.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
The big difference is Khan has a lot of local ties to this area. Nobody can say for certain but my opinion is he would have truly worked to keep this franchise in St. Louis and not just that bullshit with the EJD lease like SK.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
A few months ago I thought the Rams were going to LA for sure, that it was just a matter of time. Then I saw a few more press releases that had me convinced that it was a long shot at best. Now I'm sure they are going to be back in LA soon...maybe as soon as the 2016 season playing at the Rose Bowl until Inglewood is ready.
Trust me, something else will come along that will flip you on the long shot side again. Then another thing will come along that will flip you back. Too many variables in this thing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.