New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ugh, I never did like the St. Louis Stallions as a name. It sounds like one of those fake ass NFL wannabe teams from Any Given Sunday. What's next, Willie Beaman at QB?

Well, maybe they hold a contest for individuals sending in names I only posted the "Stallions" because that was going to be the name of the expansion franchise if St. Louis was granted one back in the 90's. Plus that name has been used for the USFL and the NFL loves to recycle names, hence the Titans & Texans that were the original names of the New York Jets and Dallas Texans that became the Kansas City Chiefs.
stallions.png

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
What is going to happen if the Carson and Inglewood projects both start getting built?

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Honestly, if the Rams leave and another team re-brands themselves, I hope they pick a red color. Then again, you have the Blues too...
I think Pittsburgh is the only city to have all major sports teams with the same color scheme.

Edit: It sort of grinds my gears that the football cardinals kept that moniker.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think Pittsburgh is the only city to have all major sports teams with the same color scheme.

Edit: It sort of grinds my gears that the football cardinals kept that moniker.
Wow.
I've never put that all together, but your right.
Cool fun fact.

bluecoconuts

Legend
What is going to happen if the Carson and Inglewood projects both start getting built?

Very unlikely, unless they decide to do Chargers in one (meaning they got the funding somehow) and Rams in the other. I don't think Spanos would like that over sharing with Kroenke though. He's either the tenant in Palace Kroenke, or the guy with the second tier stadium in LA (which given that it would be brand new would really suck).

Gotta think the NFL will try to stop that. Carson won't build without a team signing a lease though, so needs to be before relocation (moving up relocation window does help this, obviously).

I get the feeling in May the owners will privately make their choice. It's easier to back out of Carson than Inglewood though.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Well, maybe they hold a contest for individuals sending in names I only posted the "Stallions" because that was going to be the name of the expansion franchise if St. Louis was granted one back in the 90's. Plus that name has been used for the USFL and the NFL loves to recycle names, hence the Titans & Texans that were the original names of the New York Jets and Dallas Texans that became the Kansas City Chiefs.
stallions.png

Someone made some neat logos for a team named the St. Louis Archers

With the hubbub about the Redskins these days though, I'm not sure a new logo will ever be made with a Native American, which is a shame. They are the penultimate warriors in American history.

StLouisArchersSecondaryLogocopy.png

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/65795-stlouis-archers/

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Once a team leaves they stay left. Only in a case as odd as a team moving from a major market to a small one would you even get the notion that it could reverse itself. So sure the hope was always there in the beginning, but I really doubt anyone is a fan of this team because they might move back to LA. Especially after 20 years. The knowledge that they might though has certainly opened up those old wounds and got the attentions of 1000's of dormant LA Rams fans. Now hope has returned, but if they stay where we have all gotten used to them being, well,,, GO RAMS!
I only bring that up because I know of a couple of them myself. Call it denial or whatever but I have to guess there have always been quite a few people from the LA area that thought somehow they'd be back. Every time some issue would come up with the Dome, you'd hear their rumblings.

I don't mean this as any kind of a slap either. Hell - if I were still living in LA, I would likely be one of them. I moved to Oregon several years before they did their move so I got over it pretty quickly. But I know many in CA always felt like the Rams were stolen from them against the will of the fans and the NFL and that somehow it would be made right.

The problem I see right now is that there are more St Louis Rams fans (my guess) than LA Rams fans at this point in time. If the team leaves, they will feel robbed just like many LA fans did. And frankly, I won't blame them one bit. If it does happen though, I hope many of them stick with the team and this forum as this is simple a pretty damn good group of people whose common bond is our Rams.

RamBill

Legend
The Six Questions We’d Like to Ask Rams Owner Stan Kroenke
By Randy Karraker

http://www.101sports.com/2015/03/30/the-six-questions-wed-like-to-ask-rams-owner-stan-kroenke/

David Hunn of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch did a great job of trying to track down Rams owner Stan Kroenke during the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix last week, and wrote about his week in Sunday’s paper. But as has been the case for five years now, Stan preferred to say nothing of substance to the St. Louis media.

A man in perhaps America’s most public business (Super Bowl XLIX in February was the most watched show is U.S. television history) appears to get genuine pleasure out of taunting the media, and by extension his fans.

What was particularly galling in Hunn’s story was that Kroenke seems to be using Rams COO Kevin Demoff as a tool in his efforts to antagonize.

As Hunn wrote, when the media spotted Kroenke “a throng of reporters chased him down the Biltmore hallways. Rams operations chief Kevin Demoff flanked his left. “We’ve got to run,” Demoff told them. “I’m sorry.”

Hunn went on to quote multiple other NFL owners about a possible Rams move, but not Kroenke.

I feel secure in saying I will never interview Stan Kroenke. But, here is the initial group of questions I think I’d have for him.

1) Why do you feel the need to have yourself shielded by Kevin Demoff, your body guards, and your public relations subordinates, from the media? You’re a grown man. The media is the conduit to your customers. The last time you said anything substantive to your fans through the St. Louis media was in 2010, when you talked to Bernie Miklasz after your purchase of the franchise was consummated.

Is it not a tenet of business to communicate with your customers? How has it benefited your franchise in St. Louis to not communicate with your fan base?

2) If the issue is that St. Louis is a failed market and you are simply trying to make your franchise viable, why wouldn’t you have attempted to see what the St. Louis market had to offer? Aside from a 2013 arbitration process that we all knew the ultimate result of, there’s been no communication with St. Louis or Missouri interests. We all knew that the St. Louis CVC didn’t have the money raising wherewithal to finance the $700 million in upgrades to the Edward Jones Dome.
edward jones dome

In 2013, arbitrators ruled in favor of Kroenke’s $700 million plan to renovate the Edward Jones Dome.

How did you try to enhance the market? Was there any offer made to assist St. Louis financially in improving the Dome to your specifications?

3) Along those lines, word is that you’re upset that Missouri and St. Louis didn’t act quickly enough in offering you a new stadium. As has been noted, you haven’t wished to communicate with the people that could have helped you. And you certainly never asked for help. We know you’re in the business of building shopping centers, and frequently use TIF (tax increment financing). In fact, TIF is part of your plan in Inglewood. How many times have you built a development and gotten government financing without asking for it?

How often has a municipality come to THF real estate or The Kroenke Group, your two main development companies, and said “Stan, we figure you want to build in our area, and we want to give you tax money to help out.”?

I’m guessing never. Why is this different? Why would you not make a reasonable, public/private request after the arbitration result was revealed?

4) If the St. Louis market is too challenging economically, why did you exercise your right of first refusal when Shad Khan made his offer in 2010? You knew the market as well as anyone, having been a minority owner in St. Louis since 1995. Stadium situation aside, the market is better now than it was in 2010. As we saw last week in Forbes, the Cardinals are the most profitable team in MLB. If you compete, the dollars are there in St. Louis.

The NFL is currently conducting a market study, but you had prior access. If you truly wanted to abide by the rules and, as you said to Bernie, “attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis, just as I did everything that I could to bring the team to St. Louis in 1995,” and didn’t just decide to move the franchise in the last two years, you should have been aware of any challenges that the St. Louis market presented.

So why did you buy controlling interest in the team despite those challenges?

5) The NFL relocation guidelines Section A, rule one state “Because League policy favors stable team-community relations, clubs are obligated to work diligently and in good faith to obtain and to maintain suitable stadium facilities in their home territories, and to operate in a manner that maximizes fan support in their current home community.”

Which of those has your franchise met?

You certainly haven’t personally worked to foster stable team-community relations. You haven’t worked in good faith on a stadium plan. And as has been pointed out, your extreme personal actions have alienated the fan base and threatened to poison St. Louis as an NFL market. An owner that wanted to “maximize fan support” would communicate, in some way, shape, form or manner, with said fans.

6) You said to Bernie in 2010 that “I believe my actions speak for themselves,” and five years later that’s certainly the case. How do you think St. Louis football fans should view your actions?

That would be a start. Not that it’ll mean anything to the steamrolling Rams owner, but it would be interesting to hear some answers.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Someone made some neat logos for a team named the St. Louis Archers

With the hubbub about the Redskins these days though, I'm not sure a new logo will ever be made with a Native American, which is a shame. They are the penultimate warriors in American history.

StLouisArchersSecondaryLogocopy.png

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/65795-stlouis-archers/
Beats the heck out of the Stallions. I think the Aints would have a problem with the use of the Fleur de Lis. And do you really want to be associated with the French? :D

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Beats the heck out of the Stallions. I think the Aints would have a problem with the use of the Fleur de Lis. And do you really want to be associated with the French? :D

I think it would look cleaner if they dropped the Fleur de lis. But remember, St. Louis is just as french as N'awlins is in history. But, the culture hasn't stuck over time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Inglewood project is getting built in December no matter what.
They wouldn't have a clause in the plan for it not being built if it was guaranteed to be built. Let's try to avoid absolutes unless you have been in on the negotiations mkay?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think it would look cleaner if they dropped the Fleur de lis. But remember, St. Louis is just as french as N'awlins is in history. But, the culture hasn't stuck over time.
Yeah - maybe replace the fleur with some sort of rendering of the Arc.

I didn't really think about the French history in St Louis - doh! At least you guys were smart in distancing yourselves from it. Just teasing the frenchies out there BTW.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

bluecoconuts

Legend

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The Six Questions We’d Like to Ask Rams Owner Stan Kroenke
By Randy Karraker

http://www.101sports.com/2015/03/30/the-six-questions-wed-like-to-ask-rams-owner-stan-kroenke/

David Hunn of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch did a great job of trying to track down Rams owner Stan Kroenke during the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix last week, and wrote about his week in Sunday’s paper. But as has been the case for five years now, Stan preferred to say nothing of substance to the St. Louis media.

A man in perhaps America’s most public business (Super Bowl XLIX in February was the most watched show is U.S. television history) appears to get genuine pleasure out of taunting the media, and by extension his fans.

What was particularly galling in Hunn’s story was that Kroenke seems to be using Rams COO Kevin Demoff as a tool in his efforts to antagonize.

As Hunn wrote, when the media spotted Kroenke “a throng of reporters chased him down the Biltmore hallways. Rams operations chief Kevin Demoff flanked his left. “We’ve got to run,” Demoff told them. “I’m sorry.”

Hunn went on to quote multiple other NFL owners about a possible Rams move, but not Kroenke.

I feel secure in saying I will never interview Stan Kroenke. But, here is the initial group of questions I think I’d have for him.

1) Why do you feel the need to have yourself shielded by Kevin Demoff, your body guards, and your public relations subordinates, from the media? You’re a grown man. The media is the conduit to your customers. The last time you said anything substantive to your fans through the St. Louis media was in 2010, when you talked to Bernie Miklasz after your purchase of the franchise was consummated.

Is it not a tenet of business to communicate with your customers? How has it benefited your franchise in St. Louis to not communicate with your fan base?

2) If the issue is that St. Louis is a failed market and you are simply trying to make your franchise viable, why wouldn’t you have attempted to see what the St. Louis market had to offer? Aside from a 2013 arbitration process that we all knew the ultimate result of, there’s been no communication with St. Louis or Missouri interests. We all knew that the St. Louis CVC didn’t have the money raising wherewithal to finance the $700 million in upgrades to the Edward Jones Dome.
edward jones dome

In 2013, arbitrators ruled in favor of Kroenke’s $700 million plan to renovate the Edward Jones Dome.

How did you try to enhance the market? Was there any offer made to assist St. Louis financially in improving the Dome to your specifications?

3) Along those lines, word is that you’re upset that Missouri and St. Louis didn’t act quickly enough in offering you a new stadium. As has been noted, you haven’t wished to communicate with the people that could have helped you. And you certainly never asked for help. We know you’re in the business of building shopping centers, and frequently use TIF (tax increment financing). In fact, TIF is part of your plan in Inglewood. How many times have you built a development and gotten government financing without asking for it?

How often has a municipality come to THF real estate or The Kroenke Group, your two main development companies, and said “Stan, we figure you want to build in our area, and we want to give you tax money to help out.”?

I’m guessing never. Why is this different? Why would you not make a reasonable, public/private request after the arbitration result was revealed?

4) If the St. Louis market is too challenging economically, why did you exercise your right of first refusal when Shad Khan made his offer in 2010? You knew the market as well as anyone, having been a minority owner in St. Louis since 1995. Stadium situation aside, the market is better now than it was in 2010. As we saw last week in Forbes, the Cardinals are the most profitable team in MLB. If you compete, the dollars are there in St. Louis.

The NFL is currently conducting a market study, but you had prior access. If you truly wanted to abide by the rules and, as you said to Bernie, “attempt to do everything that I can to keep the Rams in St. Louis, just as I did everything that I could to bring the team to St. Louis in 1995,” and didn’t just decide to move the franchise in the last two years, you should have been aware of any challenges that the St. Louis market presented.

So why did you buy controlling interest in the team despite those challenges?

5) The NFL relocation guidelines Section A, rule one state “Because League policy favors stable team-community relations, clubs are obligated to work diligently and in good faith to obtain and to maintain suitable stadium facilities in their home territories, and to operate in a manner that maximizes fan support in their current home community.”

Which of those has your franchise met?

You certainly haven’t personally worked to foster stable team-community relations. You haven’t worked in good faith on a stadium plan. And as has been pointed out, your extreme personal actions have alienated the fan base and threatened to poison St. Louis as an NFL market. An owner that wanted to “maximize fan support” would communicate, in some way, shape, form or manner, with said fans.

6) You said to Bernie in 2010 that “I believe my actions speak for themselves,” and five years later that’s certainly the case. How do you think St. Louis football fans should view your actions?

That would be a start. Not that it’ll mean anything to the steamrolling Rams owner, but it would be interesting to hear some answers.
I would love to know the answers to these questions. I'm guessing Stan bought the Rams just to move them back to LA. It's probably part of some 15 year plan to make even more money. - Line deleted You seriously thought that was going to fly?

Last edited by a moderator:

bluecoconuts

Legend
1) Why do you feel the need to have yourself shielded by Kevin Demoff, your body guards, and your public relations subordinates, from the media? You’re a grown man.

Randy is correct, he'll never get an interview with the man, and the second part of the first question is why. Nothing starts off an interview right with like an insult. I get he is upset, but if you really wanted questions answered you don't try to grill the guy...

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Randy is correct, he'll never get an interview with the man, and the second part of the first question is why. Nothing starts off an interview right with like an insult. I get he is upset, but if you really wanted questions answered you don't try to grill the guy...
I'm thinking he really doesn't care if he gets one at this point, thus the insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.