New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Randy is correct, he'll never get an interview with the man, and the second part of the first question is why. Nothing starts off an interview right with like an insult. I get he is upset, but if you really wanted questions answered you don't try to grill the guy...
Nothing is going to sway him to talk until he's ready.

If he cared about how negatively his silence is affecting his customer base, he'd have spoken a long time ago.

Might as well vent.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm thinking he really doesn't care if he gets one at this point, thus the insult.

Nothing is going to sway him to talk until he's ready.

If he cared about how negatively his silence is affecting his customer base, he'd have spoken a long time ago.

Might as well vent.

He just comes across as kind of whiny to me. I understand frustration, but then Randy where he asks if he's personally done things. Why does he need to? Why does that make him a bad guy? Kevin Demoff has been his eyes, years, and essentially mouth, and he's gone through great lengths to talk to the public and the fanbase.

To me it's similar to how AEG works. Phil Anschutz, owner of the Kings has done two interviews in the past 30 years, and none in the past 25. You want to talk about being silent, that dude takes the cake. Instead he has other people do it for him, Tim Leiweke previously, and Dan Beckerman now. Does that make him a bad guy because he doesn't sit down with the media? Does it mean he doesn't really understand what's going on or can't maximize fan support because he's not personally talking to them? Of course not, he has guys doing that for him. Dan Beckerman does it for Anschutz, Demoff does it for Kroenke and Demoff has been great at doing that.

It just makes it come across as Randy not really thinking about things, and instead trying to attack and demonize Kroenke.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me it's similar to how AEG works. Phil Anschutz, owner of the Kings has done two interviews in the past 30 years, and none in the past 25. You want to talk about being silent, that dude takes the cake. Instead he has other people do it for him, Tim Leiweke previously, and Dan Beckerman now. Does that make him a bad guy because he doesn't sit down with the media? Does it mean he doesn't really understand what's going on or can't maximize fan support because he's not personally talking to them? Of course not, he has guys doing that for him. Dan Beckerman does it for Anschutz, Demoff does it for Kroenke and Demoff has been great at doing that.

Big difference and cause for such hard feelings is that Kroenke appears to be moving his team.

If Anschutz was making moves out of L.A. like Kroenke appears to be doing in St. Louis, his silence would probably be treated much differently.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Big difference and cause for such hard feelings is that Kroenke appears to be moving his team.

If Anschutz was making moves out of L.A. like Kroenke appears to be doing in St. Louis, his silence would probably be treated much differently.
You could be right but I remember Bernie and a couple other reporters taking shots at Stan well before he ever did anything in Inglewood. Clearly, they were tipping their hand early. They knew the dome situation was a potential poison pill. And Anschutz IMO would be no different considering the situation.

Stan is not only silent, he is really not a good public speaker. I've only seen a few things where he has spoken publicly and the guy obviously doesn't like to do it. Why does anyone expect someone who is not good at public speaking or interviews to meet with reporters who are ALWAYS trying to get their zinger question in or pull their favorite sound bite that somehow fits their agenda? He's not ignorant to this fact.

He'll conduct business as he would whether he speaks publicly or not. I get that it makes it difficult on the fans but is that better or worse than owners that threaten a move?

RamBill

Legend
Most owners haven’t say much of note regarding the NFL’s potential move to L.A. until Giants co-owner Steve TIsch chimed in saying it’s not exactly at the two-minute warning, but they’re in the fourth quarter. PFT’s Mike Florio talks about the L.A. situation.

Watch Florio Talk LA Situation

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Saw this posted.

Sue Allen is the Chair of the Fiscal Review Committee and a Republican. D's and R's working together?

Edit: This was posted on the Keep the Rams in St. Louis Facebook page. I'd post the link, but I don't recommend you visit it. It's mostly immaturity, fear mongering, and insults.

10155358_846798452059852_1681899278059594256_n.png

Last edited:

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I get that but he really comes off as being a little bitch about it.
Yeah, I guess so. I listen to Karraker's show frequently and dude is far from that kind of person though. He's not uptight at all and jokes about a lot of things. As I stated a little earlier, he made numerous jokes earlier this year about the Rams moving to LA as if it was a done deal. He has changed his stance on it since then, however. He's nothing like Jim Thomas, who is even dry as hell on the radio.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
You could be right but I remember Bernie and a couple other reporters taking shots at Stan well before he ever did anything in Inglewood. Clearly, they were tipping their hand early. They knew the dome situation was a potential poison pill. And Anschutz IMO would be no different considering the situation.

Stan is not only silent, he is really not a good public speaker. I've only seen a few things where he has spoken publicly and the guy obviously doesn't like to do it. Why does anyone expect someone who is not good at public speaking or interviews to meet with reporters who are ALWAYS trying to get their zinger question in or pull their favorite sound bite that somehow fits their agenda? He's not ignorant to this fact.

He'll conduct business as he would whether he speaks publicly or not. I get that it makes it difficult on the fans but is that better or worse than owners that threaten a move?
Bernie was actually one who strongly advised people to not get bent out of shape WAY before anything was done in Inglewood. Before he stepped down from his radio show he warned people about how things would go with the dome negotiations and everything else that would come after that. I don't remember him having bad things to say about Kroenke during those days, actually. He would talk about people overreacting early on in the process and when it would be the time to actually panic.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
In hindsight, I think it would have been better to go into panic mode about a year ago, it's painful how naive some (myself included) were when [Stan] bought those 60 acres back a year ago thinking a move was still unlikely. He has wanted to move this whole time.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluecoconuts

Legend

If he wanted to move a team I'm sure people would want to know why, but if someone was historically away from the media and such, I don't think they would sit there wondering why he wasn't talking to them. It's one thing if it was someone like Jerry Jones who runs to a camera anytime he sees one. Demoff has been Kroenke's eyes and ears, yet it doesn't seem like people are trying to talk to him. If they are, and he's refusing to sit down, or told not to talk to them, you'd think we would be hearing about it more.

I don't know, I just don't see why it's shocking that someone who's nickname has long been Silent Stan hasn't been talking to reporters. I'm also taken back by the apparent lack of trying to talk to Demoff. I wouldn't be shocked if he's been told to stay quiet, Demoff shielding Kroenke from reporters is telling, but it seems like people aren't really trying.

bluecoconuts

Legend
In hindsight, I think it would have been better to go into panic mode about a year ago, it's painful how naive some (myself included) were when [Stan] bought those 60 acres back a year ago thinking a move was still unlikely. He has wanted to move this whole time.

I thought it was interesting, but he could have used it for plenty of other things. I thought the biggest thing was when Mayor Butts was reelected back in November. In his victory speech he said he had a meeting with Stan Kroenke, and that's when I knew a stadium was likely coming and they would announce something in the coming months. In fact I debated posting it but with the topic banned then I debated against it. I even made a draft post I was going to send to Stu to see what he felt, but I decided I'd just wait to see what happened.

There's still a long ways to go though, now that it seems a lot more people seem to be coming to peace with the idea the Rams may leave town, you know something will happen and they'll stay. That's just how these things go.:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Also to complete the Posting hattrick:

Carson was just a big bluff, a leverage play (misleading titles are misleading)
March 30, 2015 10:17 AM

http://kfwbam.com/2015/03/30/carson-was-just-a-big-bluff-a-leverage-play/

Tony Manolatos, the spokesperson for San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s Citizens Stadium Advisory Group, joined the Home Team to talk about the effort to keep the Chargers in San Diego.

We do think, collectively, that Carson was just a big bluff, a leverage play if you will … The real threat will be in Inglewood. I think Mr. Kroenke’s project will get a green light and then at some point they are going to want to put potentially a second team in that stadium. I think Mr. Kroenke’s going to want to own that market for awhile.

There's a link with the audio with the link above, I'm not sure how to link the interview directly here. Also Tony doesn't have crazy inside information on the owners, but interesting nonetheless.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Also to complete the Posting hattrick:

Carson was just a big bluff, a leverage play (misleading titles are misleading)
March 30, 2015 10:17 AM

http://kfwbam.com/2015/03/30/carson-was-just-a-big-bluff-a-leverage-play/

Tony Manolatos, the spokesperson for San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s Citizens Stadium Advisory Group, joined the Home Team to talk about the effort to keep the Chargers in San Diego.

We do think, collectively, that Carson was just a big bluff, a leverage play if you will … The real threat will be in Inglewood. I think Mr. Kroenke’s project will get a green light and then at some point they are going to want to put potentially a second team in that stadium. I think Mr. Kroenke’s going to want to own that market for awhile.

There's a link with the audio with the link above, I'm not sure how to link the interview directly here. Also Tony doesn't have crazy inside information on the owners, but interesting nonetheless.
Wow. The spokesman for the task force in SD says Carson is a bluff. Spanos won't be happy after hearing that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Bernie was actually one who strongly advised people to not get bent out of shape WAY before anything was done in Inglewood. Before he stepped down from his radio show he warned people about how things would go with the dome negotiations and everything else that would come after that. I don't remember him having bad things to say about Kroenke during those days, actually. He would talk about people overreacting early on in the process and when it would be the time to actually panic.
I'm talking about before Stan bought the controlling interest. It was where I first developed my distaste for Bern Bern. He had this whole class envy thing going and carped about how Stan should step aside and let Khan buy the team. There were several other jabs he would take at Stan that were really just cheap shots when he couldn't get direct information out of him. There was one other reporter from the PD doing largely the same thing at the time as well (not Karraker). I just thought at the time, "and you wonder why he won't grant you an interview - eh?".

Believe me. I'm not singling out St Louis media here. No matter where you go, the unfortunate reality is that most of them are lying slime balls that live off twisting the facts and taking quotes out of context. I have been involved in lengthy interviews when I was in politics. When I read the story the next day, more times than not, it was like it was from an interview with someone else entirely. In politics you pretty much have to give time to the media whenever they call. I can guarantee you that if we didn't, I wouldn't be talking to but maybe one or two of the jackals.

So I tend to understand when Stan really has no desire to talk to them. It is really a no win situation for him. He's not going to tip his hand so all he could do is blather about stuff that in the end won't mean anything and likely will somehow get twisted to mean something it didn't.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wow. The spokesman for the task force in SD says Carson is a bluff. Spanos won't be happy after hearing that.

Can't imagine he would be. I found it interesting that he thinks the league will let Kroenke leave to LA even though St Louis is working towards a stadium solution, and likely will have their half mostly figured out by the end of the year, but they wont let Spanos leave because they have a workable starting point. I got the feeling he's not actually all that hopeful things happen though.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I'm trying to figure out the endgame and what the league and the 3 owners want.

1. Rams move to LA in 2016. Stadium construction begins this December in Inglewood. Stan gets his wish,
establishes the Rams brand first. NFL gets their wish with a team in LA.

2. SD and Oakland will negotiate in 2016 with their city's. The threat in LA is greater Bc the Inglewood stadium is under construction and could host 2 teams.

3. STL comes up with the money and will welcome the Raiders if they can't get a stadium.

4. If SD gets a stadium they stay put. If they can't they move to LA in 2017.

4. If the Raiders get a stadium they stay put. If LA is occupied with the Rams and Chargers, then the Raiders could move to STL.

5. If SD gets a stadium, the Rams already in LA, the Raiders stay in Oakland or move to STL. The league could use LA as a leverage for years to come. I don't think the league wants 3 teams in SoCal.

Everyone will be happy expect Mark Davis Bc he might be forced to STL. No way they continue to play at the shitty place in OAK. Maybe Mark doesn't mind moving to STL idk but Mark can't get a free ride to LA and make that money Bc Stan and Spanos will be in SoCal.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Randy Karriker isn't trying to demonize Stan K. He's doing a fine job of that on his own. In my mind his questions are dead on and totally reasonable. He's basically DNA rifle blocked an owner who wanted the Rams and was a fan of Missouri and Illinois sports team already, is trying to move a football team with good support out of a city, without real cause other than money, and I'm supposed to care if the questions Mr Karriker might ask would make him uncomfortable? Look at that smart ass "hey Jimbo" comment he threw at JT at the owner meeting. He knew his attack dog would keep the reporters at bay, that's just taunting. I see his silence as exactly that. Taunting, childish and spiteful. You're not moving a gum factory, it's a football team.
A football team that has 20 years and a Super Bowl in STL. It's not him being shy, or withdrawn, or anything else. It's a purposeful poisoning of the fan base, and I'd lose respect for any reporter who just sat back lobbing softball questions and tiptoeing around his feelings. Those questions are totally reasonable.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Randy Karriker isn't trying to demonize Stan K. He's doing a fine job of that on his own. In my mind his questions are dead on and totally reasonable. He's basically DNA rifle blocked an owner who wanted the Rams and was a fan of Missouri and Illinois sports team already, is trying to move a football team with good support out of a city, without real cause other than money, and I'm supposed to care if the questions Mr Karriker might ask would make him uncomfortable? Look at that smart ass "hey Jimbo" comment he threw at JT at the owner meeting. He knew his attack dog would keep the reporters at bay, that's just taunting. I see his silence as exactly that. Taunting, childish and spiteful. You're not moving a gum factory, it's a football team.
A football team that has 20 years and a Super Bowl in STL. It's not him being shy, or withdrawn, or anything else. It's a purposeful poisoning of the fan base, and I'd lose respect for any reporter who just sat back lobbing softball questions and tiptoeing around his feelings. Those questions are totally reasonable.
I think those questions are totally reasonable in keeping with the fact that he knows he is not getting an answer to them. If he realistically thought he would get an interview, they'd be toned down. Still, I don't necessarily blame Randy. It has to be frustrating for him.

And I'm sorry but there is nothing angelic about Khan and his business tactics.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Everyone will be happy

I don't think St Louis fans will be happy the Rams leave, even if the Raiders replace them. While some fans will make the switch quickly, and some will switch as time goes on, I think there would rightfully be a sour taste left in the mouths of many of residents of the Lou.

Status
Not open for further replies.