Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Watching all the top WRs and watching Mitchell and Franklin back to back, I came away a lot more impressed with Mitchell. Far more route savvy, more pro style routes, more nuance, and the hands are night and day. I cringed every time Franklin dropped an easy pass and that didn't happen with Mitchell because... he didn't drop any.
I like Mitchell. Just have him slotted lower due to production.

jjab360

Legend
I like Mitchell. Just have him slotted lower due to production.
Okay but these guys aren't being drafted based off of what they did in college, they're being drafted based off what they can do in the pros. These players have to be evaluated outside of the system they played in college, bulk production doesn't mean much to me.

Harping specifically on this comparison if you ignore everything else I don't think Franklin's hands are good enough that we'd consider him high in the draft. Drafting a WR that can't catch is reminiscent of the Fisher/Spagnuolo days, McVay doesn't really play that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Okay but these guys aren't being drafted based off of what they did in college, they're being drafted based off what they can do in the pros. These players have to be evaluated outside of the system they played in college, bulk production doesn't mean much to me.

Harping specifically on this comparison if you ignore everything else I don't think Franklin's hands are good enough that we'd consider him high in the draft. Drafting a WR that can't catch is reminiscent of the Fisher/Spagnuolo days, McVay doesn't really play that.
It's ok to disagree jj. Just how I see them. NFL teams may disagree with me too we shall see. And if so it won't be the first nor the last time I have been wrong.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Higher on Worthy. I just don't see Mitchell as a deep threat (more of an intermediate threat, and while he's a great route runner, I think Worthy is noticeably better at selling his routes) and I worry about Mitchell's compete level. The Pickens comparison is apt because while he - and Worthy and Whittington, for that matter; I'd love to see Whittington as one of our late sixths) dominated Alabama's very good corners, he didn't play up to that for a lot of games.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Higher on Worthy. I just don't see Mitchell as a deep threat (more of an intermediate threat, and while he's a great route runner, I think Worthy is noticeably better at selling his routes) and I worry about Mitchell's compete level. The Pickens comparison is apt because while he - and Worthy and Whittington, for that matter; I'd love to see Whittington as one of our late sixths) dominated Alabama's very good corners, he didn't play up to that for a lot of games.
I just don't get thinking Mitchell isn't a deep threat. Most sites rate him as a better deep threat than Worthy who's faster. Mitchell has more than enough speed and short area burst. And is a better tracker of the ball on deep throws. Averaged more yards a catch and had more big plays. Taller bigger and has plenty of speed and can track the ball. Give me Mitchell every day of the week over the 170 lbs soaking wet Worthy.

jjab360

Legend
Worthy's size is what does it for me. Tutu made me realize that if you're going to prioritize 11 personnel and emphasize a power running scheme at the same time, you're going to need your WRs to play big and block like TEs and preferably 3 of them so they can be interchangeable.

I don't think anyone with Worthy's slight build could ever be a full time starter in this system though I do think he has some Jaylen Waddle type potential with his acceleration.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Honestly, while I love Worthy the most (yeah, I prefer that speed; I think Mitchell is more of what we already have in the intermediate range), and while I'd be ecstatic with Adonai, Jordan Whittington (the third Texas receiver) is just so absolutely Amon-Ra/Puka-like that it's scary. The more tape I watch on him, the more of an absolute fan I become. Physical, soft hands, surprisingly shifty YAC, immense football IQ, a solid knowledge of route running, but won't outrun anyone in the NFL. He should be available in the sixth round with our comp picks, and I would gladly take him.
I'm a big fan of Whittington too, would love a 6th round flyer on him.
Turner will go top 10, I believe we will trade one of our 3rd rounders to move up to 13 or so for Verse or Latu. Our glaring holes have been filled and we NEED to address edge at the upmost. Offensive tackle can wait a year and we can still add a CB in round 2 and WR in the 3rd. IlB can wait til the 5th round unless E. Cooper is available in round 2.
The more I think about it, the more I think Verse is the one that will fall. If Latu checks out medically, he might even go above Turner. Personally, I think Latu is a perfect prospect for our scheme.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I just don't get thinking Mitchell isn't a deep threat. Most sites rate him as a better deep threat than Worthy who's faster. Mitchell has more than enough speed and short area burst. And is a better tracker of the ball on deep throws. Averaged more yards a catch and had more big plays. Taller bigger and has plenty of speed and can track the ball. Give me Mitchell every day of the week over the 170 lbs soaking wet Worthy.

I don't see Mitchell play up to his forty speed when it comes to pure deep routes. Worthy simply has more quick acceleration than his teammate. On an intermediate crossing route, digs, sure, I could see Mitchell making those big plays and using his size to shield the ball, get more YAC. Worthy averaged less yards because he had more targets and catches (twenty more) than Mitchell, and a lot of them were shorter area bubble screens to get his speed into space. Mitchell had more touchdowns than Worthy and a longer reception, but by less than eight yards.

I'm not saying I don't want Mitchell; I'd be ecstatic if we traded down and got Mitchell. He has vice grips for hands, and even though I have concerns about his compete level, I wouldn't say no to a very talented young receiver. But I prefer Worthy for his easy speed, acceleration, and route running. I feel that he's a better deep threat, a better route runner, and a Desean Jackson clone, only without the maturity issues that Desean had.
Worthy's size is what does it for me. Tutu made me realize that if you're going to prioritize 11 personnel and emphasize a power running scheme at the same time, you're going to need your WRs to play big and block like TEs and preferably 3 of them so they can be interchangeable.

I don't think anyone with Worthy's slight build could ever be a full time starter in this system though I do think he has some Jaylen Waddle type potential with his acceleration.

Desean Jackson is what I see. (You mentioned Jaylen Waddle, and I see that, and I'll also say DeVonta Smith, who is literally 170 lbs., so I don't automatically see size as a problem.). Had he not had the maturity issues, Jackson could've been a solid receiver for McVay's system. Brandin Cooks and OBJ can hardly be considered bigger receivers as well.

And considering that Texas has had a solid running game running basically 11, and for the past two years, they've had one of the best draft-eligible running backs in college (Bijan Robinson, Jonathon Brooks) as well as a bunch of solid complimentary NFL-caliber backs (Roschon Johnson, Keilan Robinson), I don't have issues with Worthy's blocking on the perimeter. He's not going to be Kupp or Nacua, but he doesn't have to be to be an impact player.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see Mitchell play up to his forty speed when it comes to pure deep routes. Worthy simply has more quick acceleration than his teammate. On an intermediate crossing route, digs, sure, I could see Mitchell making those big plays and using his size to shield the ball, get more YAC. Worthy averaged less yards because he had more targets and catches (twenty more) than Mitchell, and a lot of them were shorter area bubble screens to get his speed into space. Mitchell had more touchdowns than Worthy and a longer reception, but by less than eight yards.

I'm not saying I don't want Mitchell; I'd be ecstatic if we traded down and got Mitchell. He has vice grips for hands, and even though I have concerns about his compete level, I wouldn't say no to a very talented young receiver. But I prefer Worthy for his easy speed, acceleration, and route running. I feel that he's a better deep threat, a better route runner, and a Desean Jackson clone, only without the maturity issues that Desean had.

Desean Jackson is what I see. (You mentioned Jaylen Waddle, and I see that, and I'll also say DeVonta Smith, who is literally 170 lbs., so I don't automatically see size as a problem.). Had he not had the maturity issues, Jackson could've been a solid receiver for McVay's system. Brandin Cooks and OBJ can hardly be considered bigger receivers as well.

And considering that Texas has had a solid running game running basically 11, and for the past two years, they've had one of the best draft-eligible running backs in college (Bijan Robinson, Jonathon Brooks) as well as a bunch of solid complimentary NFL-caliber backs (Roschon Johnson, Keilan Robinson), I don't have issues with Worthy's blocking on the perimeter. He's not going to be Kupp or Nacua, but he doesn't have to be to be an impact player.
So Mitchell is rated a better deep receiver has shown he's a good deep receiver you just don't agree with that? Ok got it. Doesn't mean he's not a good deep threat he really is.

Memento

Name
Jemma
So Mitchell is rated a better deep receiver has shown he's a good deep receiver you just don't agree with that? Ok got it. Doesn't mean he's not a good deep threat he really is.
And what did he do at Georgia before transferring to Texas? Worthy's had a track record as an elite deep threat since his freshman year, even when his quarterback play sucked. As far as injuries go? "170 lbs. soaking wet" Worthy has not missed a game at Texas, while Mitchell barely played in 2022 because of injuries.

jjab360

Legend
And what did he do at Georgia before transferring to Texas? Worthy's had a track record as an elite deep threat since his freshman year, even when his quarterback play sucked. As far as injuries go? "170 lbs. soaking wet" Worthy has not missed a game at Texas, while Mitchell barely played in 2022 because of injuries.
Idk about elite, he needs to be more than just fast. Plays like this will have him warming the bench in the NFL.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Idk about elite, he needs to be more than just fast. Plays like this will have him warming the bench in the NFL.

Agreed, but those plays are the lowlights. Worthy's had three great years; Mitchell has had one. As for drops? I could easily bring up Nacua's rookie year when it comes to drops; he made some incredible catches but dropped a fair few passes. Things like that can improve, but the speed and route running that Worthy brings is rare.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think Rams end up with Hoecht back.. a first or second rounder & a low-cost vet at edge.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I assume it has been mentioned on here, that after Worthy broke the 40 record, Snead texted Eisen and said, "Worthy was the fastest player he has ever evaluated." Snead's step son is a longsnapper for Texas. So he sees plenty of him. Not sure I would be happy with him, even after a trade down though. Seems one dimensional.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
I'm addicted to this site. Must have done 200 of these so far.
6e313264-e8c4-4aee-873b-d3ae2e0aa915.png

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
Nice draft. Leggette probably gone by pick 45. And I’m guessing the Rams draft a K R6/R7.
Ya, it's wonky. I just restart it every time I see Chicago take Alt...or Bowers...or MHJR...you get the idea. And of course, the trades are ridiculous. But I'm bored.