Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Corners look good to me into round 3, certainly round 2. Edge you can find guys outside the top round. LT though is so hard to do that. So idk. Rams are tough to predict and I think the board of course dictates, but all things being equal it's that one position where you almost have to take it.

And again I'd be very happy with all defense. It's why I wanted them to sign Smith. But in the end all I really care about is hitting on the pick. Just find a stud.

Or I'm wrong...signing Darious relieves the urgency of that need

I agree though ultimately....T is the biggest need for next season right now

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Or I'm wrong...signing Darious relieves the urgency of that need

I agree though ultimately....T is the biggest need for next season right now
Well, if Jackson is back the OT might just fill Noteboom's role for a year... and that is an important role. This will sort out in a few days once we know if Boom takes the paycut. If not, then OT, CB, BPA, trade down will be the choices at 19.

OT - need is for swing OT and competition for Ajax, eventually the longterm LT or RT.

CB - Specifically Dejean, as Mitchel & Arnold likley gone. Could be that "Star" position guy...a very big piece to the secondary and would compliment Williams.

BPA - likley a WR, Mitchell, Thomas (If he is there)

Not taking a QB, or trading up for Bowers and no C like Powers.

One thing they could do is maybe move up if a guy like Odunze falls, but probably not willing to give up the draft capital.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well, if Jackson is back the OT might just fill Noteboom's role for a year... and that is an important role. This will sort out in a few days once we know if Boom takes the paycut. If not, then OT, CB, BPA, trade down will be the choices at 19.

OT - need is for swing OT and competition for Ajax, eventually the longterm LT or RT.

CB - Specifically Dejean, as Mitchel & Arnold likley gone. Could be that "Star" position guy...a very big piece to the secondary and would compliment Williams.

BPA - likley a WR, Mitchell, Thomas (If he is there)

Not taking a QB, or trading up for Bowers and no C like Powers.

One thing they could do is maybe move up if a guy like Odunze falls, but probably not willing to give up the draft capital.
Yeah I could see them taking a LT then parking his ass on the bench behind Jackson for 2024. Then he plays for his future elsewhere, and the Rams have a full year to look at the kid (and that year allows them second thoughts on evaluation of Jackson if he improves). Sucks because that isn't an impact player I prefer. But I could see it due to the difficulty of finding these guys.

All things equal at 19 I presume the priority of fill is LT > Edge > Corner > WR. Though maybe WR is higher if there is medical concern with Kupp. Interesting to think about and I wonder how the Rams have that priority lined up. Suspect theirs is focused in on specific players rather than positions of course.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yeah I could see them taking a LT then parking his ass on the bench behind Jackson for 2024. Then he plays for his future elsewhere, and the Rams have a full year to look at the kid (and that year allows them second thoughts on evaluation of Jackson if he improves). Sucks because that isn't an impact player I prefer. But I could see it due to the difficulty of finding these guys.

All things equal at 19 I presume the priority of fill is LT > Edge > Corner > WR. Though maybe WR is higher if there is medical concern with Kupp. Interesting to think about and I wonder how the Rams have that priority lined up. Suspect theirs is focused in on specific players rather than positions of course.
Key regarding WR is the depth of that class. There will be high caliber WRs there at 52, maybe even 83. So really hoping something can happen with Mack or even Uche at Edge so they can maybe go OT & WR for 19/52.

I think the CB class seems to level off from 50-100, where not a huge difference so you can get a CB at 83 that is on par with any CB taken after rd 1. So unless Mitchell or Arnold fall to 19, I am guessing they can get a CB at 83 or with some other 3rd rounder they may get in a slight trade down from 19.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Key regarding WR is the depth of that class. There will be high caliber WRs there at 52, maybe even 83. So really hoping something can happen with Mack or even Uche at Edge so they can maybe go OT & WR for 19/52.

I think the CB class seems to level off from 50-100, where not a huge difference so you can get a CB at 83 that is on par with any CB taken after rd 1. So unless Mitchell or Arnold fall to 19, I am guessing they can get a CB at 83 or with some other 3rd rounder they may get in a slight trade down from 19.
Yeah I have to think they bring in someone at Edge. Uche should be cheap worst case. Mack would be unbelievable. But someone should be coming in like with DW to ensure the room is sound.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wondering how high they might be willing to move up to ensure they get a LT, assuming they were thinking that way. Feels like 10-19 is run-on-the-OTs range. Maybe they're ok with dealing a futures to position and get their guy.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Corners look good to me into round 3, certainly round 2. Edge you can find guys outside the top round. LT though is so hard to do that. So idk. Rams are tough to predict and I think the board of course dictates, but all things being equal it's that one position where you almost have to take it.

And again I'd be very happy with all defense. It's why I wanted them to sign Smith. But in the end all I really care about is hitting on the pick. Just find a stud.
I'm not so sure about Edge being found outside top round. There is the top 3: Latu, Verse, Turner. Then we have the second wave which could be mid-late first to 2nd round: Robinson x 2 (Chop/Darius), Braswell, Trice?, Isaac?. IMO, the depth is lacking at Edge this draft and we will need to move quickly to grab one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not so sure about Edge being found outside top round. There is the top 3: Latu, Verse, Turner. Then we have the second wave which could be mid-late first to 2nd round: Robinson x 2 (Chop/Darius), Braswell, Trice?, Isaac?. IMO, the depth is lacking at Edge this draft and we will need to move quickly to grab one.
Well personally I like Elliss a ton. He's a round 2 edge due to size but high effort and real nice fit for us. Robinson is a round 2 edge. Both Penn State edges likely to go round 2 I think. Trice has a bit more power to his game, might be a more versatile type but he's round 2. There are a lot of decent options in this class in that range I think.

Last year prior to the draft I kept hearing how weak edge was. Rams found Young outside the initial round and I like his upside very much. You can find them easier than LT is all I'm saying.

Now maybe the draft falls to where LT is not an option for us. But if that happens then edge should be. And if not edge then certainly corner and wideout will have great options. I honestly don't care as long as they hit on the pick but in terms of general strategy it would be a coup for the Rams to find a LT at 19.

jjab360

Legend
I've been looking at AD Mitchell a lot lately. Texas underused him trying to force the ball to Worthy. Mitchell is clearly the better receiver imo.

His raw stats and YPRR don't look great because they didn't generate any easy touches for him, he earned every catch he made last year. Understands subtleties in route running and never drops the ball.

A guy with his size, speed, hands, tracking, and separation ability is rare. Worth a top 20 pick and I'd take him there even in a ridiculously deep class where there will probably be second round talents still available in the 3rd/4th round. I think he compares favorably with some of the WR superstars that have had fast starts the past five or so years and that should intrigue us as a team looking for an immediate contributor.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been looking at AD Mitchell a lot lately. Texas underused him trying to force the ball to Worthy. Mitchell is clearly the better receiver imo.

His raw stats and YPRR don't look great because they didn't generate any easy touches for him, he earned every catch he made last year. Understands subtleties in route running and never drops the ball.

A guy with his size, speed, hands, tracking, and separation ability is rare. Worth a top 20 pick and I'd take him there even in a ridiculously deep class where there will probably be second round talents still available in the 3rd/4th round. I think he compares favorably with some of the WR superstars that have had fast starts the past five or so years and that should intrigue us as a team looking for an immediate contributor.
I'm not a fan of Sark. He had a loaded team in terms of talent. So yeah there is room to say maybe Mitchell's undervalued. But in a class like this that doesn't get you too far because there's so much depth of options.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well personally I like Elliss a ton. He's a round 2 edge due to size but high effort and real nice fit for us. Robinson is a round 2 edge. Both Penn State edges likely to go round 2 I think. Trice has a bit more power to his game, might be a more versatile type but he's round 2. There are a lot of decent options in this class in that range I think.

Last year prior to the draft I kept hearing how weak edge was. Rams found Young outside the initial round and I like his upside very much. You can find them easier than LT is all I'm saying.

Now maybe the draft falls to where LT is not an option for us. But if that happens then edge should be. And if not edge then certainly corner and wideout will have great options. I honestly don't care as long as they hit on the pick but in terms of general strategy it would be a coup for the Rams to find a LT at 19.
Thomas at 19 Elliss in the 2nd. Cb or S with our first 3rd

jjab360

Legend
I'm not a fan of Sark. He had a loaded team in terms of talent. So yeah there is room to say maybe Mitchell's undervalued. But in a class like this that doesn't get you too far because there's so much depth of options.
I know there's depth but I don't think that means passing on a special talent because there'll still be decent talent later.

Mitchell in the first or Pearsall in the 2nd/3rd could be the difference between the next Ceedee Lamb or the next Van Jefferson.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Honestly, while I love Worthy the most (yeah, I prefer that speed; I think Mitchell is more of what we already have in the intermediate range), and while I'd be ecstatic with Adonai, Jordan Whittington (the third Texas receiver) is just so absolutely Amon-Ra/Puka-like that it's scary. The more tape I watch on him, the more of an absolute fan I become. Physical, soft hands, surprisingly shifty YAC, immense football IQ, a solid knowledge of route running, but won't outrun anyone in the NFL. He should be available in the sixth round with our comp picks, and I would gladly take him.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Well I don't think Les sits at 19 and takes best available. He'll try and leverage that capitol by either trading down or trading for a player.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know there's depth but I don't think that means passing on a special talent because there'll still be decent talent later.

Mitchell in the first or Pearsall in the 2nd/3rd could be the difference between the next Ceedee Lamb or the next Van Jefferson.
Agreed. But then there is the question of who are the special talents. This still all comes down to teams nailing their boards.

The knock on Van Jefferson coming out was he had a penchant for disappearing. After the Senior Bowl teams were asking why his production was low. Rams take him and guess what, he has a tendency to disappear. Translation is the guy is a mediocre player in spite of his raw talent.

Mitchell's production was better. Well last season. But it was far lower than Franklin. How much of that is Sark. Maybe a lot. But does it matter when I can just take Franklin instead of sweating it.

I suppose the good thing is a guy like Van Jefferson probably doesn't go round 2 in this draft. Probably would go round 3 or 4 this year. Tutu probably round 4 or later. That's the beauty of a better and more competitive class I think.

jjab360

Legend
Agreed. But then there is the question of who are the special talents. This still all comes down to teams nailing their boards.

The knock on Van Jefferson coming out was he had a penchant for disappearing. After the Senior Bowl teams were asking why his production was low. Rams take him and guess what, he has a tendency to disappear. Translation is the guy is a mediocre player in spite of his raw talent.

Mitchell's production was better. Well last season. But it was far lower than Franklin. How much of that is Sark. Maybe a lot. But does it matter when I can just take Franklin instead of sweating it.

I suppose the good thing is a guy like Van Jefferson probably doesn't go round 2 in this draft. Probably would go round 3 or 4 this year. Tutu probably round 4 or later. That's the beauty of a better and more competitive class I think.
Watching all the top WRs and watching Mitchell and Franklin back to back, I came away a lot more impressed with Mitchell. Far more route savvy, more pro style routes, more nuance, and the hands are night and day. I cringed every time Franklin dropped an easy pass and that didn't happen with Mitchell because... he didn't drop any.

Franklin certainly looks more explosive but he's all gas, no brakes. Mitchell is actually faster but he disguises it by throttling his routes to get DBs to bite. That being said the explosiveness, acceleration, agility, and top end speed are all there on tape, he's an elite athlete.

And then you have to consider the 30 lb weight difference. I still like parts of Tutu's game but it'd be hard for me to consider taking another WR under 180 lbs any time soon, it's hard for guys that size to be full time starters in this system.

Anyway my point is the stats lie sometimes. The systems are obviously different as you pointed out, but the QB difference whoo-boy. Bo Nix is LEGIT or at least his ball placement is. Ewers on the other hand... let's just say there's a reason he didn't declare. That backup QB who took over for a bit was a production killer as well.

That being said, I've seen questions about his work ethic and that's something we just can't tell as fans. No one knew Puka was THAT GUY because none of us were in the locker room with him to see how dedicated he was.

If AD truly is another Pickens I want no part of it. I'd be happy to take an edge like Latu or DB like Dejean who seem to fit the Ram mold of leadership and dedication that paid off so well last year.

muggmeister

Rookie
Turner will go top 10, I believe we will trade one of our 3rd rounders to move up to 13 or so for Verse or Latu. Our glaring holes have been filled and we NEED to address edge at the upmost. Offensive tackle can wait a year and we can still add a CB in round 2 and WR in the 3rd. IlB can wait til the 5th round unless E. Cooper is available in round 2.