Michael Sam Discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
This will probably guarantee his way on the team no matter how bad he is compared to the others imo
I think Kroenke already decided that,he'll get a years interview and if he can't make the team second camp g-bye

bluesjoc

Long time poster,First time reader
Name
Jeff
Last i heard he didn't want to be treated indifferent? Isn't this just the opposite of what he said? Make the team then do the story in the off season.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I can guarantee this outrage wouldn't be existent if the NFL Network was doing a series on Sam Bradford recovering from ACL surgery in his make or break season, even though Bradford is much more important to the team.

Shameful really.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Some of the reactions in this thread are ridiculous.

This isn't going to hurt the team. If it hurts Michael Sam's chances that's his decision.

How about we see what this guy has in camp, and how hard he works before we start calling for him to be cut.

Very disappointed to read some of the stuff in this thread. Guess I shouldn't be surprised to see a lot of people looking for the first reason to free themselves from their facade of acceptance of the pick.

I'm all for accepting Michael Sam the football player. And I loved the fact that the Rams were tough enough to stand up to all the criticism that they knew they'd get from anti-gay groups. I took Sam at his word that he wanted it to be all about football and have people stop asking him questions not football related. Well, this Oprah thing is NOT all about football. And I have a problem with accepting that. And I have a problem with Sam subjecting the rest of the team to this additional distraction and making the Rams job tougher. We are in the toughest division in football with a very young team. The ultimate goal is to win it, and I don't want ANYTHING that is not football related interfering with that.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'm all for accepting Michael Sam the football player. And I loved the fact that the Rams were tough enough to stand up to all the criticism that they knew they'd get from anti-gay groups. I took Sam at his word that he wanted it to be all about football and have people stop asking him questions not football related. Well, this Oprah thing is NOT all about football. And I have a problem with accepting that. And I have a problem with Sam subjecting the rest of the team to this additional distraction and making the Rams job tougher. We are in the toughest division in football with a very young team. The ultimate goal is to win it, and I don't want ANYTHING that is not football related interfering with that.

^^^^ This

I loved the pick and I was extremely proud of my team when it was made but an Oprah Winfrey documentary doesn't fall within what I consider to be proper preparation for what should be the most promising season for ages

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I can guarantee this outrage wouldn't be existent if the NFL Network was doing a series on Sam Bradford recovering from ACL surgery in his make or break season, even though Bradford is much more important to the team.

Shameful really.

Football related. That's the focus. FOOTBALL. Not gay rights, not civil rights, not women's rights, not animal rights, not environmental rights, not anything else no matter how important an issue it is in society. This should be about football, and football ONLY.

That's not shameful, that's staying focused on the ultimate goal.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

They said access at Rams Park was going to be extremely limited. Not sure what else you need to hear.

As I said, a lot of people want to feel 'progressive' (not you in particular) but are very quick to change their minds when given the slightest reason to.

Don't you think they'd be talking about Sam's sexuality if we were on Hard Knocks?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
^^^^ This

I loved the pick and I was extremely proud of my team when it was made but an Oprah Winfrey documentary doesn't fall within what I consider to be proper preparation for what should be the most promising season for ages

If OWN crew was given an all-access pass to Rams Park, I'd agree. They won't be. The team has said as much.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
They said access at Rams Park was going to be extremely limited. Not sure what else you need to hear.

As I said, a lot of people want to feel 'progressive' (not you in particular) but are very quick to change their minds when given the slightest reason to.

Don't you think they'd be talking about Sam's sexuality if we were on Hard Knocks?

For now, I will say that I trust Fisher will do what's best for the team. And leave it at that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Here's the right way to handle this situation...

RG3, not Tebow, could be driving Browns’ handling of Manziel
Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2014

shanahan.jpg
Getty Images

It’s become fashionable to chastise the long-irrelevant Browns for the manner in which they’ve handled their sudden burst of relevance. And since I have zero sense of fashion, allow me to look at this a different way.

The Browns have blocked the national media from Johnny Manziel’s first minicamp, explaining that they don’t want a repeat of Tebowmania. The better comparison could be not Tebow but Robert Griffin III.

Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has seen this movie before. Continuously for two years with his eyes held wide open, Clockwork Orange-style. Kyle and his father, Mike, saw RG3 become the most powerful man in D.C. not residing at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, with owner Daniel Snyder embracing — and perhaps fueling — the idea that it was Griffin’s team.

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam seems to be determined to avoid, or at least to minimize, a repeat of that phenomenon. While keeping the national media out will do nothing to decrease national media interest in the Browns and Manziel, the effort provides tangible proof that the Browns are trying to not let Manziel become bigger than the team.

That may not be enough to ensure that Manziel and Shanahan will be able to coexist. Manziel’s penchant for improvisation doesn’t mesh with Shanahan’s preference that quarterback play be virtually robotic.

“During the course of a regular game, Kyle Shanahan wants you to run the offense exactly how he wants it, down to the amount of hitches you take to go through your progressions,” former Shanahan pupil Rex Grossman said back in 2011.

Manziel may comply during the early portions of a play, but once things start to collapse he may decide to do his own thing, which may drive Shanahan crazy.

Which leads back to the question of whether the coaching staff and the front office really wanted Manziel in the first place. By all appearances, it was a pick that was at least indirectlyinfluenced by Haslam and/or the homeless guy in Cleveland. If so, the challenge for Haslam will be to ensure that Manziel never figures that out — and that he never abuses the power he already possesses in Cleveland, regardless of what the team now does to try to contain it.

fearsomefour

Legend
The bad thing about this is the documentary will be better with conflict, with a heel ect. Make no mistake, if they are given access to the team they will be instructed to look for an Incognito.
He can do whatever he wants outside the facility....and I am sure he is being compensated for the show. I can't imagine the Rams giving much access to them.
Come film parts of a couple of practices ect and that's it.
The problem with media like Oprah and much of the press now is they approach things with such information bias. I seriously doubt Oprah has any interest in documenting what happens. She has an agenda to push. Part of that agenda is for her to look like a social savior....hey Oprah, you are not MLK because you had a progressive talk show. If there is no controversy they will try to create one.
I see nothing good coming from this for the Rams.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I hope many of you realize that the media is driven by the people...the fans etc. If we aren't watching and loving it all so much then they wouldn't bother. M. Sam will be fine as will our Rams.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yes, I would want MS to fail if his agenda is going to hurt the Rams and I would want that failure to come quickly. I hope this is all just a misunderstanding and all the kid wants is to play football exactly as he has stated. Then, of course, being a Rams fan for the past 40+ years, I'd want him to make the Pro Bowl and wear Super Bowl rings (with Bighorns on them) on every damn finger!!!!!!!

Well again, if having Oprah around with very limited access distracts them and they have a poor season then obviously they're not ready for the next step. It is nobodies fault but their own.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well again, if having Oprah around with very limited access distracts them and they have a poor season then obviously they're not ready for the next step. It is nobodies fault but their own.
Right, it will obviously be the Ram's front office to blame if they give access to any agenda driven media team that ends up distracting football operations. That's exactly why I'm not in favor of seeing Hard Knocks in the backyard this season either because the temptation would be too great for them not to make it the MS show.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
This guys main priority isn't football. It's attention and fame. If he was a super freak athlete like Deion Sanders maybe I wouldn't care but he's not. He's a borderline Jag who's only real chance to make it in the NFL is thru pure dedication and endless hard work.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I hope many of you realize that the media is driven by the people...the fans etc. If we aren't watching and loving it all so much then they wouldn't bother. M. Sam will be fine as will our Rams.
Nooooooooo!!!!

The media is driven by who owns it!

Right, it will obviously be the Ram's front office to blame if they give access to any agenda driven media team that ends up distracting football operations. That's exactly why I'm not in favor of seeing Hard Knocks in the backyard this season either because the temptation would be too great for them not to make it the MS show.
I'm more than a little concerned that the Rams F.O. is not prepared for what's to come.

The bad thing about this is the documentary will be better with conflict, with a heel ect. Make no mistake, if they are given access to the team they will be instructed to look for an Incognito.
He can do whatever he wants outside the facility....and I am sure he is being compensated for the show. I can't imagine the Rams giving much access to them.
Come film parts of a couple of practices ect and that's it.
The problem with media like Oprah and much of the press now is they approach things with such information bias. I seriously doubt Oprah has any interest in documenting what happens. She has an agenda to push. Part of that agenda is for her to look like a social savior....hey Oprah, you are not MLK because you had a progressive talk show. If there is no controversy they will try to create one.
I see nothing good coming from this for the Rams.
You've really nailed it here. No matter the reality, the producers will spin the story however they wish and the editors will cut the footage to support this agenda. And yes, conflict creates a more interesting story which attracts more viewers and results in higher advertising revenues.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They would have to prove that Sam was cut because he was gay. I don't think they could, especially since he was hired with the knowledge that he was gay.

I agree about Oprah. Everyone that loves her overlooks her exploitations willingly but she has gotten filthy off of them. I have no interest in her shows and don't support her on this front.
Nah. If Oprah even hints that it is true, her minions and millions that are not her minions will believe it to be true. There is no burden of proof or court of law here. Just good ole tabloid philosophy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Some of you guys seem a bit harsh here. You look forward to when he's cut? You want him gone now? Why? He's still a Ram and he will be until he turns in his playbook. If cameras follow him around, which I'm pretty sure anyone with a brain knew was going to happen regaedless, who cares? If he's not focused on football then he doesn't make the team, if he is then he will. End of story.

If the Rams can't handle this then they're not ready for the playoffs or a championship. Simple as that.

Quite a few of the comments from some people seem to indicate they're rooting for Sam to fail. That's disappoiting to say the least.
I'm not going to go back and read what I and others have written that you might be referring to. But if Sam made this deal without the Rams knowledge and it creates a circus around a mostly young team in the form of outside faces constantly poking around, asking other players uncomfortable questions, and the team chemistry being affected in any way shape or form due to this documentary, then you are damn right. I want him cut and I mean yesterday. I could give two shits about his orientation but if it's yet another obstacle for this team, IMO we don't need it.

As to the playoffs, there is no comparison here. It's not as you say - simple as that. No doubt players feel more pressure during the playoffs but they have pretty much the same requirements as far as face time with the press and such as players do during the regular season. There is no production team following them around trying to get juicy tidbits. This is not NFL films. This is the freakin Oprah show.

The Rams drafted Sam. That is the only reason I care about his football career to be honest. I don't wish him or any football player ill will coming out of college. I just don't follow them so therefore I don't care. And if any player brings baggage to the Rams that negatively affects team chemistry or unity then I want them gone. Simple as that .

I'm not going to go back and read what I and others have written that you might be referring to. But if Sam made this deal without the Rams knowledge and it creates a circus around a mostly young team in the form of outside faces constantly poking around, asking other players uncomfortable questions, and the team chemistry being affected in any way shape or form due to this documentary, then you are damn right. I want him cut and I mean yesterday. I could give two shits about his orientation but if it's yet another obstacle for this team, IMO we don't need it.

As to the playoffs, there is no comparison here. It's not as you say - simple as that. No doubt players feel more pressure during the playoffs but they have pretty much the same requirements as far as face time with the press and such as players do during the regular season. There is no production team following them around trying to get juicy tidbits. This is not NFL films. This is the freakin Oprah show.

The Rams drafted Sam. That is the only reason I care about his football career to be honest. I don't wish him or any football player ill will coming out of college. I just don't follow them so therefore I don't care. And if any player brings baggage to the Rams that negatively affects team chemistry or unity then I want them gone. Simple as that .
What he just said ^^^

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

You might want to step off the self righteous crap and quit acting like you are more enlightened. This has become a potential side show about his orientation and not simpy accepting someone for who he is. Gay? Don't care. The crew of an Oprah documentary constantly poking around trying to build a juicy story? I care.

If they are not given the access to become a problem then no problem. But I have been around the media when they said they just wanted to observe. Right. I also have a very good customer who rebuffed many offers to be on that dangerous catch show. He had heard that they constantly get in the way and actually poke at adverse personalities to try and ramp up the drama. Finally, he accepted their offer on the condition that they stay out of the way and don't try to stir up his crew. He's had the same crew for several years. Well, guess what? They lied. His boat became a circus and they brought in a couple "crew members" because they were drama queens. He said he learned the hard way that he should have stuck with his instincts.

So this is what I fear and the only way it is based on sexual orientation is because Oprah's people wouldn't be there otherwise. And I don't trust her as far as I can throw her that she will not try to make it a bigger story than it is and do everything she can to create drama where it would otherwise not exist. It's about ratings - not Michael Sam. He's just profiting from it.