Let's talk about our MLB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not about the team winning. It's about the defense taking the that next step and becoming the 12 ppg D we saw at the last half of the season. If JL proves to be at that level this year consistently I will change my mind. My expectations are ridiculously high for the defense this season. As should all of yours be.
No it seems like your expectations are extremely high for one guy on an entire unit. Earlier in the year the two lbs that had problems were Ogletree and Dunbar but people seem to forget that olgetree was looking terrible out there but because he is athletic and makes splash plays that get overlooked because he hits and forces fumbles, but he is very inconsistent if everyone played defense as consistently as JL then we would have a top defense

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No it seems like your expectations are extremely high for one guy on an entire unit. Earlier in the year the two lbs that had problems were Ogletree and Dunbar but people seem to forget that olgetree was looking terrible out there but because he is athletic and makes splash plays that get overlooked because he hits and forces fumbles, but he is very inconsistent if everyone played defense as consistently as JL then we would have a top defense
Maybe. But in this defense, the MLB is the nucleus. IMO, it needs to be our strongest position on the field. With our Dline, JL should be a top 5 linebacker.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
been out of action for a couple of days, sure JL has his physical limitations, BUT he brings more to the table - Football intelligence, Relentless hunger, Game management, Team leadership etc... you need that kinda character on your team AND on the field...

but, we need to select a guy that can shadow him, so I think this is the year to draft an MLB

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe. But in this defense, the MLB is the nucleus. IMO, it needs to be our strongest position on the field. With our Dline, JL should be a top 5 linebacker.
That same dLine didn't get a sack till when, to me maybe not in stats but he is a top linebacker. I don't understand what does he have to do to get the respect that he deserves. Some lbs have 1 good year he has had 6

Debacled

Starter
It's not about the team winning. It's about the defense taking the that next step and becoming the 12 ppg D we saw at the last half of the season. If JL proves to be at that level this year consistently I will change my mind. My expectations are ridiculously high for the defense this season. As should all of yours be.

It is to about the team winning. That is why they play is it not?

12 ppg or 20 ppg it doesn't matter, the team still needs to put points up to win. Switching out JL for new blood does absolutely nothing to change that.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That same dLine didn't get a sack till when, to me maybe not in stats but he is a top linebacker. I don't understand what does he have to do to get the respect that he deserves. Some lbs have 1 good year he has had 6
Like I said man, if the defense plays like it did from games 7-16 (minus the shitty Giants effort) I will give him tons of praise along with the whole defense. That was elite play and exactly what we need from him and the entire defense. Unfortunately individuals like JL only get praise if the whole defense is working.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It is to about the team winning. That is why they play is it not?

12 ppg or 20 ppg it doesn't matter, the team still needs to put points up to win. Switching out JL for new blood does absolutely nothing to change that.
Yeah your right. But again, this thread is specifically about JL and the defenses play. And this coming season he needs to prove to be consistent. Plus, there's nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade a position. Especially one that's the core of the defense. Boy, this is starting to seem very similar to the Bradford debate. I promise I'm not trying to be a troll lol I just think we could do better then JL at such an important position.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I just think we could do better then JL at such an important position.

I agree. JLau is solid and more than serviceable, but he could be upgraded. My same feeling pertain to JJ, Tru and McLeod. Though I think McLeod is the weakest link on our defense. Just sucks there are no good true FS's in this draft that would be an upgrade.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I agree. JLau is solid and more than serviceable, but he could be upgraded. My same feeling pertain to JJ, Tru and McLeod. Though I think McLeod is the weakest link on our defense. Just sucks there are no good true FS's in this draft that would be an upgrade.
Exactly. Im okay with JJ, Johnson and Gaines for now. But I expect McLeod to be upgraded. I love the way our secondary hits though.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I think you are confused in how you read my first sentence. I'm not considering 2015 as the year to worry over JL, rather that 2016 is where JL may become a CAP casualty. 2015 Dead Money for JL is $1.5 mil, 2016 it drops to $900,000. while his CAP hit rises an additional $2.5mil. JL is actually a bargain at this years cost, but the jump in CAP, age and productivity the following year will indeed measure against his value going forward.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
James Laurinaitis. The guy hasn't missed a snap in his career. Consistently puts up 100+ tackles and is always around the ball. He's a team leader and a great role model.

this coming season he needs to prove to be consistent

So you started the thread praising his consistency but now say he needs to prove his consistency... ;)

This seems to be a common theme with those that don't like JL, they have a hard time describing exactly what they don't like. I think it just comes down to he's not flashy enough for some, because his consistent production can't be denied.

I'm not considering 2015 as the year to worry over JL
This. I thought he lost a step at the beginning of last season but I think it was his preseason injury lingering. I've been hoping for more LB depth for a long time and would have no problem with the Rams drafting a guy to groom as a potential long-term replacement, but simply as a matter of pragmatic planning for the future, not because JL is any sort of present weakness.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Your too smart to not know the old saying where a blind pig gets an acorn every once in a while. Please torture yourself and rewatch that whole game and the second half especially as JL has his pants pulled down so often having to fight so hard in this thread is freakin scary with the manlove for a guy who is not rated very high with PFF either. They analyse every play. See where JL ranks . He is BELOW average and the whiner rookie in the third round last year would have been a MAJOR upgrade over JL.

I watch the guy play in and play out. Yes he was slowed with an ankle all season and he is a warrior so you guys will know I appreciate his effort. He was an average MLB when we drafted him and he's gone down from there and HIS ROLE behind the Defensive line we are Blessed to have this one season as Brockers may not be back. The position is just TOO DANG IMPORTANT to have an average to below guy with less than average stats. playing behind that line. Borland might get 200 tackles behind them. I can go on and on as he does'nt get home on designed blitzes so AO is getting the lionshare now if your watching. Folks are now calling those splash plays. LOL. He's a warrior no doubt but he's not what we need and later round rookies can do better. So sorry to say. Please see where he ranks leaguewide. I mean not to be mean or ugly. I thank him for all his time and leadership and smarts but others have those too and can get to the spot wider than JL's range is. Better angles getting through trash he can't.
Our o-line dilema will keep us 8-8 anyway no matter when I had so much hope when Foles was signed and I think our schedule can be winable. Yes we have bigger needs on OL but JL is getting eyes from many others watching our D. Leader or not. See what Mosely from Bama did last season? He isn't as smart as JL but as a rookie he piled up the stats amoung 4 LB's and less field time than JL.
Those are a lot of words to essentially say the same thing I said earlier in this thread. I said he was solid, and not yet a high priority in the scope of strengthening units on the team. He'll get challenged soon enough and that's evidenced by the way his contract is structured. You'll see. In the meantime, do me a couple of favors. First, don't insinuate that I have some sort of manlove for a player simply because I look at the situation from a different angle and don't view replacing him as critical at the moment. Secondly, don't presume to know that I don't watch these games and/or am not acutely aware of how he ranks in the league. I do, and I am.

The reason I posted that video is because I tire of hyperbole quickly. So don't say things like "He can't EVER" if you don't want to be called on it. If you had merely said that you don't believe he's a punishing point of attack middle linebacker, and that there's an ability to upgrade the position, then I would agree. Tell me he can't force a 4th down from a 3rd and short, and I'll call you on it. Clearly I watch the games if I'm able to pull a play out of memory and show it to you, yeah? And you don't have to "fight so hard in this thread" to make your point. We're all fairly cordial with each other, and that's something that's cultivated over time. Assimilate. Have conversations. Come in swinging, and you're just gonna end up putting people on the defensive. You don't want that, right?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
So you started the thread praising his consistency but now say he needs to prove his consistency... ;)

This seems to be a common theme with those that don't like JL, they have a hard time describing exactly what they don't like. I think it just comes down to he's not flashy enough for some, because his consistent production can't be denied.

This. I thought he lost a step at the beginning of last season but I think it was his preseason injury lingering. I've been hoping for more LB depth for a long time and would have no problem with the Rams drafting a guy to groom as a potential long-term replacement, but simply as a matter of pragmatic planning for the future, not because JL is any sort of present weakness.
Hahaha, that's a good catch. But obviously there's a difference between getting a lot of tackles and playing good D lol

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I think I remember Fisher getting upset he missed out on Bobby Wagner, maybe they plan on replacing JL but they missed the opportunity. He's consistent imo, he doesn't really make many wow plays buy hes a consistent tackler and is always around the ball for the most part.

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
Sorry late getting to the post. Have been OOT (out of town,thoughts, testosterone} take your pick. Great debate. Truth is. "If it ain't broke break it". Did JL lead us to a 6-10 record or was he the exception to the rule? Not hating him in the slightest, but my eyes tell me that being dragged for 5 yards is not an NFL "STOP". We could do worse.

Rob Rang would obliquely liken Denzel Perryman to London Fletcher. Keep JL ,draft and let Perryman grow and we will have our LF clone. Is there any LB, sturdier, more intuitive, grittier, more loved than London F.? Bring Denzel home and let him grow. Thumper? Hawk? Game Manager? How about heart and Soul?

iced

rams defense 2nd in PPG over the 2nd half of the season (seattle was 1st) tells me all i need to know about the defense and upgrades...

meanwhile, an offense thats in lower half of the league....