Let's talk about our MLB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Can't wait to see Ayers get a shot at his skills at pass rushing and getting lots of sacks and he is also good in pass coverage . Especially tight ends that have beaten us regularly and now with the seachickens having a great TE.His speed mixed with AO will make a great package for GW to go to. AO can be out of position but his closing speed and his big play potential at int's and sacks along with jumping to block passes. Thats why AO led the team in tackles last year. I think GW has him on track to getting better and with Ayers the speed should be a real upgrade behind our D Line. Ayers run tackling is pretty decent as he does well as a solo tackler. Glad we'll get speed back in our LB grouping. Upgrade in pure athleticism. Perryman will go well before we pick at #10 and I see Cooper/White and Scherff gone too. Time for a trade back this year and maybe use our picks to move up next year for a starting QB if Foles gets beat up behind a very poor and young OL this season.

Wonder if Fisher will get another year if we can't walk through the door this year? So much left to happen that could be good. There's no telling with Snead .

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will take a guy who gets guys on the ground, as opposed to the guy who is always going for the kill shot, and misses as many tackles as he makes.
You mean like Jenkins?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You mean like Jenkins?
more like McLeod. or any of our safeties of recent memory.

Jenkins, I actually happen to be a fan of. So not gonna buy into bashing him. He gets roasted on here for "getting beat", when IMO, more often than not last year, it was from a lack of communication on the back end, and not getting deep help when he was supposed to. McLeod is very inconsistent when it comes to deep coverage. Unfortunately, he might be the best they have at this point.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I will take a guy who gets guys on the ground, as opposed to the guy who is always going for the kill shot, and misses as many tackles as he makes.

IMO, the problem so many seem to have with Laurinaitis, is seem to expect the MLB to be a thumper and that's just not his game. I think he compares favorably to someone like Brian Urlacher, in style, although Urlacher was faster sideline to sideline. Their styles were very similar.

Most of the time in here, people seem to want to compare him to guys like Willis, and now Kuechly, and say he just isn't good enough. Well, there are about 25 or 26 teams that would love to have the likes of Laurinaitis playing MLB for them. Comparing him to the ELITE at the position just sounds like a waste of time.
I agree, and would never compare him to either player, although he is paid more than Kuechly and not much less than Willis was getting. That is beside the point. I have no problem with JL55. He is not an area of concern on this team and I stated as much originally. I was just mentioning what I see as a weak(ish) spot in his game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree, and would never compare him to either player, although he is paid more than Kuechly and not much less than Willis was getting. That is beside the point. I have no problem with JL55. He is not an area of concern on this team and I stated as much originally. I was just mentioning what I see as a weak(ish) spot in his game.
Comparing his salary (on his 2nd contract) to a rookie deal post CBA that Kuechly is on, just is apples to oranges. And considering most of his $$$ was front loaded, his cap # is more than reasonable at this point. Especially for a player who plays every down for 16 weeks each and every year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Our d line hasn't always been this nasty. JL isn't new to the team. To say he's only good cuz of the d line couldn't be any more wrong. What was the starting d line when JL55 came out? 2009 we had Little and Long on end. I won't even mention DT. 2010 wasn't much better tho Fred Robbins came in at DT and played okay. Point is, this d line has only been dominant for a few seasons. Now if your saying that JL55 has lost a step already, in the last couple years, and it's being hidden by the d line then that makes a little sense. But still not much of it.
This is exactly what I was thinking. The one constant on the D has been JL. You can say he is not the best MLB in the league (though IMO he is top 5 at minimum) but that it is only playing behind a stellar D-line is what makes him as good as he is? Hardly. Think about the defensive pieces he has played with and you should really get a better idea of the consistency we've gotten out of him.

His tackles have dropped most likely due in part to a better line in front of him and less getting through. But he does so much more than tackle. He is asked to drop back in coverage more than most MLBs, he is an under rated pass rusher, and also is the QB of the defense.

And people have been comparing him to the likes of Willis and Borland. First off - a Willis is a rare find. Second, comparing a MLB to an ILB is like comparing a safety to a CB. They play a completely different position. That is not to say that an ILB couldn't play MLB or vise verse but comparing how they play when one plays ILB and the other MLB is not a realistic comparison.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
There is one other misconception I think keeps being brought up here. When people try to compare these players, who obviously play in different systems, IMO its inaccurate to try to include the perceived quality of the defensive front, without knowing the responsibilities of those positions.

Comments have been made with regards to the Rams front line specifically, over the years, and how that impacts the play of the MLB. Its just not that simple.

In the Rams current scheme, they are more of an attack defense. The front four more often than not, are expected to get up field and disrupt. Where, other defensive schemes (Carolina) tend to be more of a "read and react" front, which in turn, frees up the LBs to have free access to make plays.

I just think that some try too hard to find things that support their feelings on these sort of things, but more often than not, they want to over simplify things than don't tell the whole story.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is exactly what I was thinking. The one constant on the D has been JL. You can say he is not the best MLB in the league (though IMO he is top 5 at minimum) but that it is only playing behind a stellar D-line is what makes him as good as he is? Hardly. Think about the defensive pieces he has played with and you should really get a better idea of the consistency we've gotten out of him.

His tackles have dropped most likely due in part to a better line in front of him and less getting through. But he does so much more than tackle. He is asked to drop back in coverage more than most MLBs, he is an under rated pass rusher, and also is the QB of the defense.

And people have been comparing him to the likes of Willis and Borland. First off - a Willis is a rare find. Second, comparing a MLB to an ILB is like comparing a safety to a CB. They play a completely different position. That is not to say that an ILB couldn't play MLB or vise verse but comparing how they play when one plays ILB and the other MLB is not a realistic comparison.
Preach

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is one other misconception I think keeps being brought up here. When people try to compare these players, who obviously play in different systems, IMO its inaccurate to try to include the perceived quality of the defensive front, without knowing the responsibilities of those positions.

Comments have been made with regards to the Rams front line specifically, over the years, and how that impacts the play of the MLB. Its just not that simple.

In the Rams current scheme, they are more of an attack defense. The front four more often than not, are expected to get up field and disrupt. Where, other defensive schemes (Carolina) tend to be more of a "read and react" front, which in turn, frees up the LBs to have free access to make plays.

I just think that some try too hard to find things that support their feelings on these sort of things, but more often than not, they want to over simplify things than don't tell the whole story.
Preach

thehammer

Rookie
question isn't is Laurnaitis a good mlber but does he fit Williams system? IMO no.

no mlber has graded lower in the last 5 years vs the run then Laurenaitis per focus. Very rarely tackles anyone behind the line of scrimmage and struggles to take on blockers in the run game..best words to describe him as smart and safe...probably best in a cover 2 zone system. An Attacking defense with a safe mlb? Think not....bet Williams would kill for Perryman.

watch the list of the 30 official visits and see if we are bringing in Perryman, Ramik Wilson or Stephone Anthony

also watch for 2 down thumpers like Taiwan Jones, Terrence Plummer or Luc..Williams doesn't need a 3 down mlb with all his sub packages

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last thought on this subject...

Of all the issues the Rams face right now, Laurinaitis is one of the least.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Last thought on this subject...

Of all the issues the Rams face right now, Laurinaitis is one of the least.
Seriously.

I mean, doesn't anyone know we threw a 7th round pick out the window for a QB that we already had on the practice squad last year?
PRIORITIES PEOPLE!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
question isn't is Laurnaitis a good mlber but does he fit Williams system? IMO no.

no mlber has graded lower in the last 5 years vs the run then Laurenaitis per focus. Very rarely tackles anyone behind the line of scrimmage and struggles to take on blockers in the run game..best words to describe him as smart and safe...probably best in a cover 2 zone system. An Attacking defense with a safe mlb? Think not....bet Williams would kill for Perryman.

watch the list of the 30 official visits and see if we are bringing in Perryman, Ramik Wilson or Stephone Anthony

also watch for 2 down thumpers like Taiwan Jones, Terrence Plummer or Luc..Williams doesn't need a 3 down mlb with all his sub packages
Holy shit it's Hammer! Welcome dude!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just finished " Stacking " the OLB and MLB sections of my Board, and I Only have 7 LB's I class as "MLB's" and only two of those would I pick to back-up JL;
* Benardrick McKinney
and
* Stephone Anthony
The others are all too small for my taste!

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I just finished " Stacking " the OLB and MLB sections of my Board, and I Only have 7 LB's I class as "MLB's" and only two of those would I pick to back-up JL;
* Benardrick McKinney
and
* Stephone Anthony
The others are all too small for my taste!
London Fletcher was small an all world. Sam Mills playing with Ricky jackson and without him on the Panthers was just awesome. The UCLA kid Eric Kendricks who is better than his brother is gonna light it up and Denzel Perryman should replace JL right now and screw the money do it for the defense GW wants to run. Taiwan Jones hits like a truck can be had in the late rounds add to that Mike Hull and the guy who's name I keep throwing around late from Perinial National champs North Dakota state Kyle Emanuel who can sack the QB is a team leader tough in the run game and a relentless motor . Doubt he is being overlooked from Div. III. People who don't know will say who till they realize they did'nt know London Fletcher from John Carroll?

Not as big of a McKinney fan even though he has great size when I've watched his games and tape I don't see the dominance and team leader I want as our MLB.( He's just a so called over used word thumper) He can't cover the pass as WE NEED and JL is too slow to give us. My personal opinion of course . I personally think Greg Williams see's a need or he would'nt have brought in Ayers to get home on Blitzes as thats his specialty along with pass coverage. Two major weakspots Of JL's game that fit GW's system not to mention sideline to sideline speed we're missing. Behind our great D line lets get the BEST we can get. Not happy with status Quo and we will take a major step forward. Ayers is not known for his run D so the guys I've mentioned will fit the complete bill. Along with the use of Barron and the squad of giant sfeties that have theier own package for blizing and pass coverage Plus it confuses the hell out of opposing QB's who love to attack JL in pass coverage.

Yes we have a need for a starting corner opposite gaines and Fisher has drafted CB more than any other position is his 20+ HC years with his #1 draft pick. Trae Waynes from MSU had a great combine but is not who we need. I'd let both our FA CB's walk next year after seeing if anyone wanted them for a pick. Marcus Peters from Washington who punched his coach and was kicked off the team is the best CB this year and will be taken by a smart GM looking to give this guy another chance. I see the Ravens with thie great GM in Newsome grabbing him as they need CB anyway. Waynes does'nt mind tackling but I would'nt want him at #10 as some would.

Our undersized nickel CB is gonna have a great sophmore year out of FSU so everyone be looking for the lil' guy we traded up for to show his worth. I'd like to see him at FS myself. We can max this defense out and hope Foles improves on speeding up of his reading defenses as Warner could do so well. If not our OL MIGHT get him killed and we'll wish we used our #2 pick on the Baylor QB kid and hope Weinke will get the job done he was brought in for and develop us a QB. Might be wise not to get caught in the same trap two years in a row and learn from our lessons and always have a QB in development. Like the best NFL teams do.

It won't take a reach or the loss of a high draft pick we've painted ourselves into a corner to go OL at least 3 times out of 6.

thehammer

Rookie

want to add Rams lb coach went to TCU to watch Paul Dawson and rams have scouted Perryman and Wilson and Anthony

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
images
images

Steven Jackson listed @ 6' 3" 230lb Does he look the same height and 25lb lighter than JL?
James Launinaitis listed @ 6' 2" or 3" 255lb
Isaah Peade listed @ 5'10" 197lb Does he look he look 5" shorter and 60lb lighter than JL?
Aaron Donald listed @ 6' 290lb Does he look 3" shorter and only 35lb bigger JL?
Where's the beef!
I agree with every poster that JL has been an outstanding team leader and good at defense. Hope he moves to SAM and we get a fireplug like London Fletcher (Denzel Perryman) or a grinder like Paul Dawson or an incredible athlete like Steph. Anthony.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
images
images

Steven Jackson listed @ 6' 3" 230lb Does he look the same height and 25lb lighter than JL?
James Launinaitis listed @ 6' 2" or 3" 255lb
Isaah Peade listed @ 5'10" 197lb Does he look he look 5" shorter and 60lb lighter than JL?
Aaron Donald listed @ 6' 290lb Does he look 3" shorter and only 35lb bigger JL?
Where's the beef!
I agree with every poster that JL has been an outstanding team leader and good at defense. Hope he moves to SAM and we get a fireplug like London Fletcher (Denzel Perryman) or a grinder like Paul Dawson or an incredible athlete like Steph. Anthony.

That's Ron Bartell next to JL and SJ. Bartell is 6'1 210 .

JL also slimmed down to 235-240 for GW's D last year. He's an average to slightly above average MLB. His biggest assets are durability and his smarts to get the D lined up correctly. With that being said, I can't think of one "wow" play from him in his 6 years. He is the definition of serviceable IMO.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
want to add Rams lb coach went to TCU to watch Paul Dawson and rams have scouted Perryman and Wilson and Anthony
\

You said a mouthfull brother.

Thankyou for saying in one paragraph what I've tried to say in pages and you have the one stat that says it all. I wanted to figure out that stat on my own bt rewatching every play last year. Just don't think with us trying to get Petty in early round two where I think he might be gone we just may grab one of these guys over Tomlinson or Cann if one falls to us. We will be so dominant on D it will be scary. Just winning games with Greg Z and long range FG's. LOL