Let's talk about our MLB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I agree with most everything you said here, except the part the safeties making the defensive adjustments. That is partially correct, in that their are responsible for the SECONDARY adjustments. Laurinaitis is still; the QB of the defense, and makes ALL of the calls, and checks out of any stunts or blitzes. He makes sure the FRONT seven are in position, etc.

And in this scheme, they ask the MLB to drop in coverage a whole lot more than most. So, trying to compare his role, to that of someone like Willis, or even going back to the Ray Lewis days, (both who played inside in a 3-4 scheme) just isn't a fair comparison. For the near cult status that London Fletcher attained with many fans, Laurinaitis actually compares to him, in terms of roles, and production, IMO.
Disagree on most of that. Wow just Wow. Has JL ever played in one playoff game? He has been a warrior for my Rams but he was'nt more than average compared to big tacklers coming out of college. Above level smarts and just slow and steady and stays on the field sucking up the injuries as we have no one else to play because we never addressed the position. Now every team in the playoffs has a stud tackling machine behind their D Lines that can run. JL is not a sideline to sideline guy. Takes bad angles now too. Is not a solo tackler like so many have said he is here.

Other bigtime boards have totally different opinions than this MB. Go check them. They have fans my age and older. Only 50 years for me. rams4life is my only e-mail address I've had since the internet started. Every message board seems to have a group think on certain issues. I'm so sorry if I've offended your hero. I just know It won't take a 1st rounder to improve our position and help us to the playoffs. So sad to see JL play his whole NFL career on a losing squad with many ups and just as many downs. I've seen them enough to know what I speak of. Its easy with Direct TV. Never missed a play. Been to so many cities to see MY Rams. Taken so many folks to games. Played football from midget football onward and am a giant NFL sized man with a white goatee now. I watch college and study players that can help our team all the time. Small college and Big not just the major conferences. Individuals that can do the job with a fair chance to show what they can do like Mosley and Borland and other rookie from Bengals did last season.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree on most of that. Wow just Wow. Has JL ever played in one playoff game? He has been a warrior for my Rams but he was'nt more than average compared to big tacklers coming out of college. Above level smarts and just slow and steady and stays on the field sucking up the injuries as we have no one else to play because we never addressed the position. Now every team in the playoffs has a stud tackling machine behind their D Lines that can run. JL is not a sideline to sideline guy. Takes bad angles now too. Is not a solo tackler like so many have said he is here.

Other bigtime boards have totally different opinions than this MB. Go check them. They have fans my age and older. Only 50 years for me. rams4life is my only e-mail address I've had since the internet started. Every message board seems to have a group think on certain issues. I'm so sorry if I've offended your hero. I just know It won't take a 1st rounder to improve our position and help us to the playoffs. So sad to see JL play his whole NFL career on a losing squad with many ups and just as many downs. I've seen them enough to know what I speak of. Its easy with Direct TV. Never missed a play. Been to so many cities to see MY Rams. Taken so many folks to games. Played football from midget football onward and am a giant NFL sized man with a white goatee now. I watch college and study players that can help our team all the time. Small college and Big not just the major conferences. Individuals that can do the job with a fair chance to show what they can do like Mosley and Borland and other rookie from Bengals did last season.
Answer me this what linebacker was better coming out of college then JL the year we drafted him, and then answer this who has had a better career

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I don't understand why this guy is comparing 3-4 ILBs and 4-3 MLBs. They're different, similar but different. Borland was in a system that was designed for him to rack up tackles. CJ Mosley is in a system designed for him to make plays. James Laurinaitis is in an entirely different system.
Its even more important we find and draft a Mosley to play JL's spot as Snead had him right behind Martin on his BPA board and he would have made the pro bowl behind our D Line. Borland could have played JL's spot and many Ram fans wanted him in the 3rd round when we passed him for our RB from Auburn like we passed on Walker who could also play the 4-3 MLB spot. Can learn to call coverages like JL. It isn't as hard as you are trying to seperate these guys . JL would fit better in a 3-4 with his diminished skills right now.

Different system but just football players with skill sets that can transfer from one to another. Peopple do ya know and have had great success. Don't pull the system straw man. Lets draft a MLB this year please Rams. After we get our OL. Of course.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Answer me this what linebacker was better coming out of college then JL the year we drafted him, and then answer this who has had a better career
Did you go to Ohio State? You are scaring me with these opinions. I could commit board suicide by answering this freely. I'll just stop and call JL a warrior and love the smarts,leadership and effort he has brought every game injured or not. I think mostly injured. Just know this that because we did'nt have another person in his spot it could'nt have been done MUCH BETTER.

Is he your brother? Please go to other Rams message boards that have been there for 40 years and read what is written today on those boards. I'm in a minority here but majority by a mile on other Ram fan spots. I have names and a long list to answer these questions but think it would be wiser to praise JL then go any further than to say lets draft someone to compete with him with younger legs and more size and the speed thats out there in a 4-3 guy is just silly. We don't have to spend as much $$$ on JL as his replacement. McDonald is very smart and can set the D. Veteran OG's make line calls when starting rookie centers start for a team as I think it was 6 who did last year.
Do you worship JL? Come over and lets break down some game film dear RAM brother. Lets watch some college linebackers from all over America. We will study skill sets speed and stats and scholastic records to get us this smart LB some think is too hard to find. If a team leading tackler with 128 tackles can be found in the 3rd round and Walker where he was from The RAMS can do it too.

iced

I'm so sorry if I've offended your hero.
Is he your brother?
Do you worship JL?

quotes like this usually doesn't fly around here much....i'd tone it back...

you do realize that by saying stuff like this and in the condescending tone makes it hard to take your analysis seriously. Instead of coming off like someone who wants to disagree and share a thought out analysis, you come off kind of as a prick and a troll.

just my 2 cents

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
quotes like this usually doesn't fly around here much....i'd tone it back...

you do realize that by saying stuff like this and in the condescending tone makes it hard to take your analysis seriously. Instead of coming off like someone who wants to disagree and share a thought out analysis, you come off kind of as a prick and a troll.

just my 2 cents

Combine that with his walls of text, and I'm not even interested in responding to anything he says.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
What a guy...been around the PD much?
Never posted there once. I don't refer to that board. Do you think I was attacked for my minority position on JL? I've posted on the Herd for decades but havent for 7 years at least. I lurk there and here but never even visit the PD. Thanks though. Read the torrent thrown at me then some guys who were a lil over the top just scared me from answering anymore questions. Would love to do film study with about 20 tho.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Same one Fisher uses every year till he is replaced.

There all the time and learns defense before others is SILLY

your silly word thumper

than the group think of this board

having to fight so hard in this thread is freakin scary with the manlove for a guy

Disagree on most of that. Wow just Wow. Has JL ever played in one playoff game

I'm so sorry if I've offended your hero.

Did you go to Ohio State? You are scaring me with these opinions.

Is he your brother? Please go to other Rams message boards that have been there for 40 years and read what is written today on those boards. I'm in a minority here but majority by a mile on other Ram fan spots.

Do you worship JL?

Clock is ticking on you. Either tone down your rhetoric or you will be gone. We really don't give two shits about what is posted on other boards - just that the members here talk to each other with respect. If you can't get that, you will be gone.

This is your only warning.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I think you're confusing "attacked" with difference of opinion.

We all know JL could be upgraded, but speaking for myself, I'm feeling pretty good with him in the middle along with Ayers and Olgletree. We have much bigger fish to fry at this point.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Combine that with his walls of text, and I'm not even interested in responding to anything he says.
So walls of text and my analysis are'nt the same? I'm almost 60. I guess I'm slow with my thoughts. Sorry they don't agree with the group. Never posted at the PD. Whats that like? Getting called a prick? Thanks

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think you're confusing "attacked" with difference of opinion.

We all know JL could be upgraded, but speaking for myself, I'm feeling pretty good with him in the middle along with Ayers and Olgletree. We have much bigger fish to fry at this point.
Agree. I don't think anyone has expressed an irreplaceability with JL - just mainly that there are indeed bigger fish to fry and though anyone who has watched the game can name a couple success stories from recent drafts, hitting on THE guy is anything but a sure thing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So walls of text and my analysis are'nt the same? I'm almost 60. I guess I'm slow with my thoughts. Sorry they don't agree with the group. Never posted at the PD. Whats that like? Getting called a prick? Thanks
You might note that you are drawing fire whereas others really are not despite having differing opinions. Would you really talk the way you post if you were sitting across the bar from someone enjoying a beer or would you tone it down a bit?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
This kind of reminds me of back when we couldn't stop the run or the pass, couldn't control the LOS but everyone seemed to worry more about the QB not being animated enough, or the 1000 yd rusher not lowering his head enough, or Dane Looker being .125 seconds slower in the 40 then some other slot WR. In other words thinking about replacing someone who isn't the big reason we lose.

Our defense played some fantastic games, 3 in a row without allowing a touchdown. One of those we lost because we couldn't score any points. And we're going to replace the leader of that defense now, why? Upgrade the depth behind him with some lower round picks, and worry about drafting the new MLB when he's 30 and the plodding offense has been addressed.

That'd be how I would do it anyway.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You might note that you are drawing fire whereas others really are not despite having differing opinions. Would you really talk the way you post if you were sitting across the bar from someone enjoying a beer or would you tone it down a bit?
I feel your being more than generous with your well written warnings to @GabesHorn. I hope he takes them to heart!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

I wanted Andre Smith and Mauluga that year. They are both "meh". Jason Smith was a bust. JLau is a good sturdy mlb, was the best from the draft that year. He is not elite or close to it, but he is solid. I'd draft a corner and FS early before i'd target Jlau's replacement since he is pretty cap friendly at the moment. (unless the BPA is a LB, gotta go BPA).

Would I like to have a better mlb? Of course, I think we all can agree that would be nice. But JLau isn't a problem usually. In a year or two I would like to see us draft his future replacement, maybe draft someone to replace Ayers who starts on the outside then moves to the middle after we move on of JLau.

Hell, I wouldnt mind drafting his replacement and extending Jlau and moving him to OLB, I think he could do some good things in that roll.

Debacled

Starter
If anyone actually thinks JL is what is needs to be fixed about this team you haven't been watching the team play at all.

Can't win games without scoring points. Period.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If anyone actually thinks JL is what is needs to be fixed about this team you haven't been watching the team play at all.

Can't win games without scoring points. Period.
It's not about the team winning. It's about the defense taking the that next step and becoming the 12 ppg D we saw at the last half of the season. If JL proves to be at that level this year consistently I will change my mind. My expectations are ridiculously high for the defense this season. As should all of yours be.