Let's talk about our MLB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Schotty? Is that you? :fighting:
3hJLer7.gif

ausmurp

Starter
I can't disagree with this. Love JL, but he is undersized IMO and not amazing at the point of attack. With Tree and now Ayers as speedy LBs, we do kind of need more of an anchor at MLB. I wouldn't say it is a desperate need by any stretch, but if they see that guy in this draft or the next, you grab him. I wonder what could have been if we had gotten Wagner.....

JL is not underszed, he's probably one of the biggest ht/wt mlbs in the league at 6'3 250. Assuming u mean to say he is under-athletic?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the other players on the Rams were as reliable and CONSISTENT as Laurinaitis, we'd be in the Super Bowl.

He's got a few good years left and the last thing the Rams need to worry about is Laurinaitis...

How about worrying about the Oline?

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
C'mon guys if anything JL55 played better because of playing behind our DL, you're trying to tell me if we didn't have someone of Kuechly's caliber behind our DL this wouldn't be a top 3 defense. I'm sorry but when Ray Lewis comes out and says he'd come out of retirement to play behind a guy like Donald that has to speak volumes of how much easier it is to play MLB behind a DL of our caliber.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I just don't believe it is necessarily easier playing behind our D-Line, Williams runs a very complex scheme, and JL is Williams's voice/Capt. out there!
I think he's talking about a great Dline in general. I think it would be easier for any linebacker to be able run through holes in the opposing Oline.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
C'mon guys if anything JL55 played better because of playing behind our DL, you're trying to tell me if we didn't have someone of Kuechly's caliber behind our DL this wouldn't be a top 3 defense. I'm sorry but when Ray Lewis comes out and says he'd come out of retirement to play behind a guy like Donald that has to speak volumes of how much easier it is to play MLB behind a DL of our caliber.

Our d line hasn't always been this nasty. JL isn't new to the team. To say he's only good cuz of the d line couldn't be any more wrong. What was the starting d line when JL55 came out? 2009 we had Little and Long on end. I won't even mention DT. 2010 wasn't much better tho Fred Robbins came in at DT and played okay. Point is, this d line has only been dominant for a few seasons. Now if your saying that JL55 has lost a step already, in the last couple years, and it's being hidden by the d line then that makes a little sense. But still not much of it.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Our d line hasn't always been this nasty. JL isn't new to the team. To say he's only good cuz of the d line couldn't be any more wrong. What was the starting d line when JL55 came out? 2009 we had Little and Long on end. I won't even mention DT. 2010 wasn't much better tho Fred Robbins came in at DT and played okay. Point is, this d line has only been dominant for a few seasons. Now if your saying that JL55 has lost a step already, in the last couple years, and it's being hidden by the d line then that makes a little sense. But still not much of it.
There's a correlation between our Dline becoming strong and our entire defense becoming much better. JL wasn't playing as well behind the 2011 line. Do you think Luke Kuechly wouldn't be an absolute all star in place of JL on this defense. There's a significant talent increase in LKs game.

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
Whilst I agree a Bobby Wagner type MLB would be a slight upgrade, JL's football IQ and organisation on the field is really high and one of the best in the league imo. He's gregg Williams voice on the field. Great leader and an underated blitzer,

A perfect example of this is the Bronchos game. Him and Peyton changing the defensive and offence ive plays to match each other. Love 55 man
I really believe that if we had taken Bobby Wagner we would have been our WILL

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
There's a correlation between our Dline becoming strong and our entire defense becoming much better. JL wasn't playing as well behind the 2011 line. Do you think Luke Kuechly wouldn't be an absolute all star in place of JL on this defense. There's a significant talent increase in LKs game.

Well of course LK would be better. Just like young Adrian Peterson behind the current Cowboys o line sets league records. My point was that JL has always been consistant and solid even when the d line was pretty crap. So I wouldn't use that against him in an attempt to lobby for a replacement. That being said, LKs don't come around too often.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
JL is not underszed, he's probably one of the biggest ht/wt mlbs in the league at 6'3 250. Assuming u mean to say he is under-athletic?
Good point. Maybe it is his athleticism that appears lacking to me. I just don't see him quite as strong in the tackling game as I would like. Seems he gets pushed back/dragged quite often. Don't get me wrong, I love his intelligence, which I realize is huge for that position, but he does have his warts in run support.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Good point. Maybe it is his athleticism that appears lacking to me. I just don't see him quite as strong in the tackling game as I would like. Seems he gets pushed back/dragged quite often. Don't get me wrong, I love his intelligence, which I realize is huge for that position, but he does have his warts in run support.

I will take a guy who gets guys on the ground, as opposed to the guy who is always going for the kill shot, and misses as many tackles as he makes.

IMO, the problem so many seem to have with Laurinaitis, is seem to expect the MLB to be a thumper and that's just not his game. I think he compares favorably to someone like Brian Urlacher, in style, although Urlacher was faster sideline to sideline. Their styles were very similar.

Most of the time in here, people seem to want to compare him to guys like Willis, and now Kuechly, and say he just isn't good enough. Well, there are about 25 or 26 teams that would love to have the likes of Laurinaitis playing MLB for them. Comparing him to the ELITE at the position just sounds like a waste of time.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I guess what I was trying to say is playing behind our line should make it easier to play better, so what James lacks in athletic ability our DL could be making up for. I just feel like Laurinaitis was at his ceiling when he came into the league and I personally haven't noticed much improvement, I also haven't noticed any drop off. Meanwhile Kuechly plays behind a less than stellar DL and is able to get consistent consideration for DPOY, if we had that kind of player anchoring our LB corps our defense would be unstoppable. Laurinaitis is solid but nonetheless average IMO.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I will take a guy who gets guys on the ground, as opposed to the guy who is always going for the kill shot, and misses as many tackles as he makes.

IMO, the problem so many seem to have with Laurinaitis, is seem to expect the MLB to be a thumper and that's just not his game. I think he compares favorably to someone like Brian Urlacher, in style, although Urlacher was faster sideline to sideline. Their styles were very similar.

Most of the time in here, people seem to want to compare him to guys like Willis, and now Kuechly, and say he just isn't good enough. Well, there are about 25 or 26 teams that would love to have the likes of Laurinaitis playing MLB for them. Comparing him to the ELITE at the position just sounds like a waste of time.
I guess what I was trying to say is playing behind our line should make it easier to play better, so what James lacks in athletic ability our DL could be making up for. I just feel like Laurinaitis was at his ceiling when he came into the league and I personally haven't noticed much improvement, I also haven't noticed any drop off. Meanwhile Kuechly plays behind a less than stellar DL and is able to get consistent consideration for DPOY, if we had that kind of player anchoring our LB corps our defense would be unstoppable. Laurinaitis is solid but nonetheless average IMO.
Bingo

CoachO

Hall of Fame

The problem for me, when trying to do a straight up comparison of players based on "production" and awards (ProBowl, etc) is in most cases, those things are so subjective based on things that have more to do with team standing and raw numbers. What it doesn't do, is take into account the roles those players are asked to perform within the different systems they play. And also, it doesn't take into account how teams attack their individual schemes.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

And maybe JL is smart enough to not want to concuss himself out of football at a young age?