Latest cap space

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So currently using spotrac we're at $35.3 million in space. That's with Dotson but not Jackson's contract. If we use all 11 picks that's $12 million but they're replacing 11 vet minimums which is roughly $9 million so the rookies would eat up $3 million not accounted for now. so we're down to $32.3 million lets say for the sake of argument that Jackson is his aav cap hit year one, which rarely happens, so $17 million off that. We're now at $15.3 million roughly before any other signings or restructures.

Plenty of time and money to do more. Yes this is napkin math and I may have missed something or added wrong or carried a 3 in the wrong column but my counting on all 10 toes and fingers hasn't been too bad today.
Yeah, I bet Jackson's first year hit will be close to Dotson. So I'd add $3M to be closer to $18M. It wouldn't surprise me if they free up another $18M. Showing Stafford the moves on the OL might move him to sign an extension which could be a huge chunk of change.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I bet Jackson's first year hit will be close to Dotson. So I'd add $3M to be closer to $18M. It wouldn't surprise me if they free up another $18M. Showing Stafford the moves on the OL might move him to sign an extension which could be a huge chunk of change.
Yeah I can see small moves with the cap to create space, Snead has said they won't mortgage the future to create space this year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yeah I can see small moves with the cap to create space, Snead has said they won't mortgage the future to create space this year.
Yeah, cap space can be misleading. OTC wrote an article on this a few months ago. For example, the Rams were one of the teams that had the most restructure potential because their big contracts were set up to not push everything to the future.

The Eagles however set up their contracts to take up the minimum cap space possible, so their big contracts have very little restructure potential eith $$ pushed into the future. The result is though that they end up with a lot of dead money every yr. Had $50M last yr, and if they move on from Reddick & Sweat, they will have 60M in dead cap this yr.

So the Rams could certainly open up more and Stafford would be the one to restructure if he feels he could play through 26'. Maybe add a yr and a few void yrs, convert salary to bonus, and you can really lower his cap hit this yr and maybe next yr.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, cap space can be misleading. OTC wrote an article on this a few months ago. For example, the Rams were one of the teams that had the most restructure potential because their big contracts were set up to not push everything to the future.

The Eagles however set up their contracts to take up the minimum cap space possible, so their big contracts have very little restructure potential eith $$ pushed into the future. The result is though that they end up with a lot of dead money every yr. Had $50M last yr, and if they move on from Reddick & Sweat, they will have 60M in dead cap this yr.

So the Rams could certainly open up more and Stafford would be the one to restructure if he feels he could play through 26'. Maybe add a yr and a few void yrs, convert salary to bonus, and you can really lower his cap hit this yr and maybe next yr.
I think we are about to see a Stafford deal soon, extending him with cap savings for all!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Quick question about Higbee cap hit. I see he gets a $1M bonus for each game. I assume that is each game he plays? He is the only player on roster that has that deal. Doesn’t that free up a $1M each game he misses? And if so, would that mean the Rams would gain that cap each week of the year he misses? That wouldn’t help now but may during the season if the need arises to pick someone up. I’m surely confused. I’m sure there is some kind of injury clause that kicks in.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quick question about Higbee cap hit. I see he gets a $1M bonus for each game. I assume that is each game he plays? He is the only player on roster that has that deal. Doesn’t that free up a $1M each game he misses? And if so, would that mean the Rams would gain that cap each week of the year he misses? That wouldn’t help now but may during the season if the need arises to pick someone up. I’m surely confused. I’m sure there is some kind of injury clause that kicks in.
Looks like it's a per game active bonus of $58,823 so if he's on the IL he wouldn't get that would be my guess. But like you say there could be something about injuries it all depends on the contract but sounds like just from what's printed he wouldn't get it.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
OTC has updated for the Dotson and Jonah Jackson contracts, and the Alaric Jackson tender; and that leaves them with just $12M of cap space. It does not yet reflect the Parkinson and Williams deals which should take-up most of that $12M.

The Rams will add some cap space when they resolve Noteboom. $5M will be opened-up if they release him (pre-June); and the savings could be a little higher if he accepts a new/reduced contract.

Spotrac continues to be slow to update, so there is nothing to compare OTC with at this time. Spotrac usually has the cap space numbers a little higher than OTC.

Small amounts of cap space can (almost) always be created but, If the Rams want to open-up significant space, they may have to restructure a major contract ... like Stafford's deal.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The one team that needs to take some action in the next 20 hours is the Chargers.

Both Spotrac and OTC has them at $25M over the cap; and that has to be corrected by 4 PM tomorrow.

Moving Khalil Mack or Keenan Allen would pretty much get the Chargers down to where they need to be.

I don't think they can get enough cap relief merely with restructures. Someone has got to go.

TexasRam

Legend
The one team that needs to take some action in the next 20 hours is the Chargers.

Both Spotrac and OTC has them at $25M over the cap; and that has to be corrected by 4 PM tomorrow.

Moving Khalil Mack or Keenan Allen would pretty much get the Chargers down to where they need to be.

I don't think they can get enough cap relief merely with restructures. Someone has got to go.
It’s clear what has to happen.

Trade Havenstein for Mack and restructure Stafford to cover the difference.

~OND

(Just kidding my freind!)

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It appears that the Rams made an adjustment to Aaron Donald's contract to open-up $9M of 2024 cap space.

NOT and extension. Per OTC, about $9M of 2024 salary was re-classified to Bonus.
Yesterday, Donald had a $34M cap hit in 2024. Per OTC, it is now $25M.
Spotrac ... at this moment ... has not updated.

Neither site has been fully updated; and Spotrac has been particularly slow.

As of now, neither site has the Williams, Parkinson or Curl contracts. And, like it or not, Noteboom is either going to be released before Monday, or will accept a re-worked deal. His impact on the 2024 cap will change.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was somewhat confident we would open up more space and go for it....but that story about McVay asking for more cap space and Snead saying no was stressing me out lol

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Yeah, that's pretty-much what I wrote ...

"adjustment to his contract" ... "NOT an extension" ... converted "salary ... to bonus"

Salary-to-Bonus is the most basic restructure.
Sorry man - hadn’t even seen your post when I typed.

Earlier this week, the #Rams and OT Joe Noteboom agreed to a reworked deal to lessen his 2024 cap hit of $20M, per sources. New deal includes nearly $7M in guarantees and allows him to earn up to $14M. Noteboom is now healthy and is eyeing a resurgent season.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Noteboom's 2024 cap hit went down by $8.4M ... from $20M to $11.6M. Details on OTC.

OTC has the Rams with a Robust (under-used word) $27.4M of salary cap space but that does not reflect the free agent contracts of Williams, Parkinson and Curl.

Unfortunately, Spotrac is WAY-behind in up-dates; and, in my opinion, should be ignored for the moment.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I wonder if he felt resurgent playing with the young guys, especially Turner. Maybe he does stick around 2 more yrs.

Most noteworthy is I think this takes OT off the board in round 1.

So now it's likely Edge, CB, WR in rd 1, with maybe more of a chance to move up for a top player at those spots or of course can still trade down and still looking at those positions.