Kirk Cousins is going to get PAID

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because they cant pay him 50 mill, I dont think there is an actual limit, just that it surpasses any financial feasibility

The CBA allows for three tags and has set the % a team has to pay. There is no 4th tag option right now because the CBA doesn't mention it and hasn't set a $ amount........so a team can't do it.

But it'll happen eventually, you know it will.

Ram65

Legend
Lot's of teams need a good QB. It has to be the right fit for both parties.

Cousins-He will will get paid a lot of money wherever he goes. You have to think a team that's real close to competing for a SB would be a priority.

The Team-Have to be close to winning a SB. Have to have the money available to pay him.

The Whiners could go for Darnold in the draft and have more money to build a team around him. They could get closer to a SB with all the money they have. It's possible they go for Cousins but, Darnold could get up to spead quickly.

The Vikings have the money available with no franchise or decent QB signed for 2018. They also have some good weapons in Cook and Diggs (signed till 2018). They have a great defense already. Cousins has a very good arm but, but not great. He would benefit from the dome.

The Steelers Don't have the money and would have a cap hit on Big Ben.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2018/

I think the field would get a little narrower when you consider the money and winning. The Skins could come to their senses and sign him. It will be interesting.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The CBA allows for three tags and has set the % a team has to pay. There is no 4th tag option right now because the CBA doesn't mention it and hasn't set a $ amount........so a team can't do it.

But it'll happen eventually, you know it will.
I havent seen that there isnt a 4th, only that from the 3rd on it requires a 44% increase and isnt feasible

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Could not care less if Cousins gets paid, this is a Rams site. That said, in watching clips of the 2012 draft QBs I like Cousins better than RGIII. Liked the way the ball came out of his hand. Can not stand "running" QBs. I remember all the HYPE about the new breed of running QBs. RGIII, Kappertat and the rest of the read option BS quarterbacks.
Here is the problem, NFL defenses break QBs who run all the time into little bits.
Happened to RGIII, Kappertat never was that great. Not that smart, could not read defenses quickly, but he could run. But NFL defenses catch up to all that, and they did. If you watch all of RGIII 2012 highlights, lots of bombs on blown coverage's, thanks JJ. It was just that little bit hesitation on the defenses part because it was something new. But NFL defensive coordinators are smart.
I like my QBs to be pocket passers with a quick release, nice arm, great touch, throws with anticipation, hits guys in stride, throws WRs open, has pocket presence, can run when needed. We have that.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
If the redskins let Cousins leave they should change their name to the Browns, because that is where that team is headed if they make such a boneheaded mistake.

BeefJurky

Rookie
Inconceivable at 34MIL.

Paying 34MIL for one player for only one year then he becomes a FA is unthinkable, it's borderline stupid.

Haha, overpaying for an above average player by tagging him not once but TWICE!
What kind of team does such a thing?
:thinking:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It doesn't matter to me if Cousins gets paid. I still have to say that to my eye test, he is a decent but not elite passer. I think the skins see that and that is why as of yet he has not been offered a big contract. It's not like Snyder doesn't throw his money at players. I get the stats but just watching him doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Let's see what he does the rest of the season but I view him as having more heart than talent. Maybe he becomes Drew Breese. Maybe he becomes Case Keenum. I'm guessing on somewhere in between though.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haha, overpaying for an above average player by tagging him not once but TWICE!
What kind of team does such a thing?
:thinking:

haha, what a dumpster fire that front office is and always will be with snyder. they didn't want to commit to him long term because they weren't sure about him, yet they tag him twice? they've already given him the same money they would have guaranteed in a long term contract a couple of years ago. the only difference now is they have to pay him $27m+ a year for a new contract instead of the $20m it would have cost them back then. idiots.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@BeefJurky @RamFan503 I'm not sure what you are watching, Cousins starting from the time he was made the full time starter has 24 out of 44 games with a rating above 100 on a so-so team.

In the last two full seasons and this year he is kicking ass, plain and simple. He does throw a few more INT's a year than the top 2 or 3 guys but he is totally in the discussion for top 5.

If Goff was doing this kind of thing after playing two and a half years as the starter you'd both be getting Goff tattoos!!!!! Hahaha.....check it out. Consider if this was Goff's stat line after last year, this year and next year.

2015 (first full year as starter)
69.8 completion %, 4166 yards, 7.7 YPA, QB rating 101.6

67.0 completion %, 4917 yards, 8.1 YPA, QB rating 97.2

So far this year.......
68.2 completion %, on pace for 4365 yards, 8.3 YPA, QB rating 107.2

Cousins is fantastic, he's not one of the 2 or 3 elite but he is JUST below that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
haha, what a dumpster fire that front office is and always will be with snyder. they didn't want to commit to him long term because they weren't sure about him, yet they tag him twice? they've already given him the same money they would have guaranteed in a long term contract a couple of years ago. the only difference now is they have to pay him $27m+ a year for a new contract instead of the $20m it would have cost them back then. idiots.

Penny wise and pound foolish.

I hate Snyder, he's one of the "new guard" of filthy greedy owners who want to fleece a loyal fanbase and don't give a shit about anything else but that.

BeefJurky

Rookie
@BeefJurky @RamFan503 I'm not sure what you are watching, Cousins starting from the time he was made the full time starter has 24 out of 44 games with a rating above 100 on a so-so team.

In the last two full seasons and this year he is kicking ass, plain and simple. He does throw a few more INT's a year than the top 2 or 3 guys but he is totally in the discussion for top 5.

If Goff was doing this kind of thing after playing two and a half years as the starter you'd both be getting Goff tattoos!!!!! Hahaha.....check it out. Consider if this was Goff's stat line after last year, this year and next year.

So far this year.......

Cousins is fantastic, he's not one of the 2 or 3 elite but he is JUST below that.

I was being sarcastic. It was a joke about our own double tagged player, Trumaine.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I was being sarcastic. It was a joke about our own double tagged player, Trumaine.

Ooooooohhhhh sorry. I'm actually known for my keen sense of the obvious and totally whiffed on that one LOL. It's on me, I missed the smilie you inserted. (y)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

haha, i'd totally forgotten about the rams and tru. what a fuck up that was by the rams.

although i love how players are using the tag against the teams. sure there's risk but if they can make it through the first tag year without a major injury they hold all the cards.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've been following his career with more than a passing interest. McVay definitely gets credit for developing him but this year without McVay and while still on a very average team he is KILLING defenses.

As valuable as QB play is, and as lights out as he has been playing, the contract is going to be stratospheric. If they tag him again it's a 34MIL deal. He's made 44MIL the last two years. 78MIL in three seasons makes life simpler eh!

If the Redskins don't tag him, and I don't know if they will or won't, he is going to effect whatever division he ends up in.

I think he could land in SF, but he may want to avoid that dumpster fire. I know I would. Arizona could be in the mix too, Palmer is pretty well done and it's a desirable setup and place to live.

I can see the Dolphins and Bills getting in the mix for him. TTaylor probably isn't the long term solution in BUF and Gase is MIA would like a player like Cousins for sure. Either team would instantly challenge the Patriots for the division. No state tax in FL gives the Dolphins an edge on the $$$.

I'm sure BAL and Ozzie would love to have him since Flacco is really just average but cutting him costs major coin. Plus I don't know if they are in a rebuild or just retooling.

But..............I think a dark horse in the race is the Colts. They can get some draft picks for Luck, probably a 1 and 2 next year with a 1 the year after. They offload his contract which makes paying big coin to Cousins easier, and of course the cap is going up again. IMO there is a decent chance this happens.

It could get even more interesting since this years crop of stud college QBs is turning out to not be so studly. This coming draft was supposed to have three or four top QB prospects and none are impressing. Darnold is returning to college. The projected third or fourth best QB was Rosen. The guys ahead of him are falling behind him now.

This adds about three or four teams that would have been banking on drafting a top QB, to the list of Cousins persuers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It could get even more interesting since this years crop of stud college QBs is turning out to not be so studly. This coming draft was supposed to have three or four top QB prospects and none are impressing. Darnold is returning to college. The projected third or fourth best QB was Rosen. The guys ahead of him are falling behind him now.

Here's the facts though.

Every year 2-4 guys get hyped like mad. Future of the NFL, gonna change how the QB position is played, get this guy and you are good at QB for 10-15 years..........and all the rest of the bullshit.

But if 2-4 guys panned out to be franchise QB's the league would be populated with them. They would be commodities. Instead it's starved for them. This is media hype.

Name a draft where 2-4 QB's got selected and became really good, not elite just really good, in the last 20 years.

Maybe 2?

You have to go back to 1983 for Elway, Marino and Kelly. Maybe the year EManning, Rivers and Roethislberger got picked.

Other than that..........what is there? Where are the hyped QB's that are going to rule the league? They don't exist in any numbers each year. That's why we see so much average QB play.

The draft three years ago with Marriota and Winston was lauded as having two team/position changing players. But what are they really three years later? They are not that great. Luck and Griffin? Meh. One is out of the NFL after sucking for a few years and the other has question marks stuck to him like post it notes and a serious injury question. Both had accuracy issues. That doesn't work in today's NFL.

So all this hype is a bunch of shit.

Every year there is NOT a franchise QB. It's way less often than that. maybe every 5 or 6 years.

I think the Rams plucked the jewel of the decade.

nighttrain

Legend
it's a QB driven league, a pass first league. but truly good, not even great QB's are still a very valuable commodity. Lucky to see one come out of college in any graduating class, the class of 2016 produced it seems, three of them, a veritable bonanza
train
ps....... any of them or all could be great, but that will take 10 years to find out the answer

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

So far this year.......

Nah - I already said it. He just doesn't pass the eye test for me. He looks the definition of system QB to me. He may be able to do just fine here as well but how likely is it that he is good with another team? He's good but not as good as his stats IMO.

nighttrain

Legend
Nah - I already said it. He just doesn't pass the eye test for me. He looks the definition of system QB to me. He may be able to do just fine here as well but how likely is it that he is good with another team? He's good but not as good as his stats IMO.
this has always bother me re to QB's, i have seen them called a system QB, then why not use that system that they are best in, just seems to me to be the smart thing to do.
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's good but not as good as his stats IMO.

How can you not be as good as your "stats", which is his production, after the last two and a half seasons?

This isn't a 6 game sample, its 40 games as the starter. Most QB's don't get that for their career.