Kirk Cousins is going to get PAID

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kirk Cousins is getting paid. If you're a top 16 QB, you're getting paid in today's NFL. There's no doubt that Cousins is that.

He is one of the top 6 or 7.

What's that worth?

Many, many, many millions.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is one of the top 6 or 7.

What's that worth?

Many, many, many millions.

In my book, he's not in that group. But we've already had this debate. Regardless, he's going to get paid like he's the #1 QB in the NFL because he has all the leverage.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Interesting thoughts....I remember when we were floundering around....and Cousins had played a lil but was gonna ride the bench...I offered I wonder why we don't offer a 3rd for Cousins....someone responded that I guess the Rams don't like him enough.

I watched a lot of college ball at that time...I liked Michigan st. offense...Hell, I thought Jeff Smoker would do well in the pros. Cousins was pretty damn good then....he's pretty good now.

Washington was lookin pretty awful most of this game...The offense...Then those last few drives. Much like 503, something just says....system guy...good system guy...but not worth Carr money....Stafford money...but he can throw the rock.

@LesBaker

Something tells me, Washington will pay this guy...I mean, they threw money away on that DT a few years ago...seems like they could put a $100 million package together....not 4 or 5 years either...like 3.

Kappertat never was that great. Not that smart, could not read defenses quickly, but he could run.

Not gonna argue your opinion...it's yours.

I just can't see how a guy can do what Kaep did in Lambo Field in a playoff game....and not get much respect...In fact, you give none....300 passing...100 rushing....then almost brought back that team in a superbowl game...I hate the 9ers more than most...that damn Montana. I even had to give it up to him...400 total yards in the playoffs...against Aaron Rodgers...dude....no one does that. That superbowl vs the Ravens....no one does that and is average. Kaep without Harbaugh is beatable...with him...and the right weapons...dude was a problem.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/19/scot-mccloughan-on-kirk-cousins-i-dont-see-special/

Scot McCloughan on Kirk Cousins: “I don’t see special”
Posted by Charean Williams on January 19, 2018

900099640-e1516401574439.jpg

Getty Images

Former Redskins General Manager Scot McCloughan spent a lot of time around Brett Favre, Russell Wilson, Matt Hasselbeck and Alex Smith during stints with the 49ers and Seahawks. McCloughan said he didn’t spend as much time around Kirk Cousins in his two years in Washington.

Still, McCloughan questions whether Cousins is “special.”

“He’s a good player,” McCloughan told Denver radio station 104.3 The Fan, via the Washington Post. “Is he special? I don’t see special. But also, we were still building a roster around him to make him special. Jay Gruden does a great job play-calling. [Former Washington offensive coordinator-turned-Rams coach] Sean McVay did a great job play-calling to put him in positions to be successful. He’s talented. Talent is good at quarterback in the NFL. He’s won games.

I know his record overall is not over .500. I know he has not won a playoff game. But he’s competitive. He works his tail off. He’s so methodical. Every day he has planned out. He’s always in the building; he’s always watching tape; he’s always talking to coaches; he was talking to me. From the standpoint of the tangibles, they’re excellent.

You just need to have some talent around him because you don’t want him to be throwing the ball 35 to 40 times to win the game. You want to have a running game, have a good defense, good [special] teams, and then let him do what he does.”

Cousins’ future remains in doubt, with Washington in a bind. The franchise tag for a third consecutive year is cost prohibitive, so the team likely either keeps him with a long-term deal or he goes elsewhere in free agency.

“The thing about it is, when I was there, we tried to get a long-term deal done and were unable to do it,” McCloughan said. “He’s respected in the building. He’s a really good football player; he’s a leader; he’s a smart guy; he does everything right. But he has all the leverage now. . . . If they tag him for a third time, that’s $34 million for one season.

It’s good if you’ve got a guy that you know can win a world championship for you, but it affects the other guys, teammates, because of contracts. You’re investing so much money in one position, you’re going to lose some good players, some good young players, and that, from a GM standpoint, that’s how you have to look at it.

You’d love to have him. I’m sure they’d love to have him back for another year. He’s had three solid seasons in a row, but it’s a huge investment, and it’s going to affect the team.”

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Curious whether Arizona will make a play for Cousins or if they might attempt a Rams type trade up for Cleveland's #1 or #4 pick ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we go all in on Case Keenum in 2018
~LACHAMP46

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...snt-want-kirk-cousins-going-to-the-cardinals/

Jared Goff doesn’t want Kirk Cousins going to the Cardinals

Patrick Peterson and Larry Fitzgerald want Kirk Cousinsto sign with the Cardinals. A member of a team that competes with the Cardinals doesn’t.

Rams quarterback Jared Goff has no interest in seeing Cousins twice per year.

“I’m hoping he doesn’t,” Goff said in a visit to the PFT Live set on Friday. “He’s a hell of a player. I’m a big fan of his, big fan of what he’s done.”

Goff explained that he has studied basically every snap that Cousins has taken over the last three years.

“He’s tremendous,” Goff said. “I don’t think he gets enough credit for what he’s done. Some of the throws he made [that] we see on film. You rewind it, you watch it again. It’s unbelievable.”

Why doesn’t he get more credit?

“I don’t know. Because guys like you don’t like to talk about him,” Goff said, laughing.

Goff agreed with my explanation that guys who win are the ones who get talked about. Cousins, over the last two years, hasn’t won enough. If he’s as good as Goff believes, Cousins may be winning plenty in 2018.

If he makes the right decision about where he’ll go next.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think we go all in on Case Keenum in 2018
~LACHAMP46
When he was cheap, we should have....

Now we got Mannion behind Goff....and we get to read how good Mannion will be when he plays...how strong his arm is/looks....how he knows the offense....

You buy low, sell high....real estate in Cali...101....

or

buy the worst looking, beatdown home in the best neighborhood you can afford...and fix-er up....

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-consider-placing-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins

In what sets up as an offseason game of chicken that would markedly influence the quarterback market, the Washington Redskins will consider placing their franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins so they can trade him and recoup some of the compensation they are sending to Kansas City for quarterback Alex Smith, per league sources
http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...kirk-cousins-next-contract-new-team-nfl-execs

Tagging Cousins would prevent him from becoming a true unrestricted free agent, able to sign where he wants once the new league year opens March 14, and could impact how other teams approach free agency and the draft. Without a franchise tag, Cousins would be considered the NFL's top available free agent, expected to draw interest from Arizona, Denver, the New York Jets and other quarterback-needy teams.

But Washington might want a say in where Cousins winds up, which would enable the Redskins to try to extract compensation in the 2018 draft rather than having him walk away for nothing this year.

However, Cousins still would be able to wield some control of the situation and could force Washington into a challenging if not uncomfortable situation. Washington could not trade him until he signs the franchise tag, and if Cousins wanted, he could delay signing it for weeks or even months, with the Redskins having to count his approximate $34.5 million against their salary cap.

Cousins also could tell any of Washington's potential trade partners that he is unwilling to sign a long-term deal there, dampening that team's enthusiasm for surrendering a top draft pick for his services and holding up any potential trade.

If Washington decided to pull the franchise tag to get Cousins' contract off its salary cap, it would lose the right to recoup a 2019 compensatory draft pick that it would get if Cousins were able to leave right away as a free agent. So tagging Cousins would undoubtedly carry risk.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden did not give Cousins a sense that the team would use its franchise tag on him when the two spoke last week, but others connected to the team insist that Washington is considering it. They believe it is nothing more than a business decision, a way for the team to try to get back at least the third-round pick it is trading to Kansas City for Smith.

It is a decision that Washington will have to make in the coming weeks. Teams can begin designating franchise players on Feb. 20.

_________________________________________-

If I were Cousins, I would sign that tag immediately ($34.5 million, for one season!) and then announce that I would not sign an extension even if traded, and that if given a fair chance, I expected to beat out Alex Smith for the starting QB position. Make any team trading for me have to pay $34.5 million for one season, or make the Redskins have to have approximately $60 million of their cap space going to two QBs.

That is a shit-ton of money I'd be getting, and I would want to be paid that AND then get to pick whichever team I want to play for. And having been paid over $78 million for the previous 3 seasons, I could choose any team that would have me.