Kirk Cousins is going to get PAID

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've been following his career with more than a passing interest. McVay definitely gets credit for developing him but this year without McVay and while still on a very average team he is KILLING defenses.

As valuable as QB play is, and as lights out as he has been playing, the contract is going to be stratospheric. If they tag him again it's a 34MIL deal. He's made 44MIL the last two years. 78MIL in three seasons makes life simpler eh!

If the Redskins don't tag him, and I don't know if they will or won't, he is going to effect whatever division he ends up in.

I think he could land in SF, but he may want to avoid that dumpster fire. I know I would. Arizona could be in the mix too, Palmer is pretty well done and it's a desirable setup and place to live.

I can see the Dolphins and Bills getting in the mix for him. TTaylor probably isn't the long term solution in BUF and Gase is MIA would like a player like Cousins for sure. Either team would instantly challenge the Patriots for the division. No state tax in FL gives the Dolphins an edge on the $$$.

I'm sure BAL and Ozzie would love to have him since Flacco is really just average but cutting him costs major coin. Plus I don't know if they are in a rebuild or just retooling.

But..............I think a dark horse in the race is the Colts. They can get some draft picks for Luck, probably a 1 and 2 next year with a 1 the year after. They offload his contract which makes paying big coin to Cousins easier, and of course the cap is going up again. IMO there is a decent chance this happens.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I've been following his career with more than a passing interest. McVay definitely gets credit for developing him but this year without McVay and while still on a very average team he is KILLING defenses.

As valuable as QB play is, and as lights out as he has been playing, the contract is going to be stratospheric. If they tag him again it's a 34MIL deal. He's made 44MIL the last two years. 78MIL in three seasons makes life simpler eh!

If the Redskins don't tag him, and I don't know if they will or won't, he is going to effect whatever division he ends up in.

I think he could land in SF, but he may want to avoid that dumpster fire. I know I would. Arizona could be in the mix too, Palmer is pretty well done and it's a desirable setup and place to live.

I can see the Dolphins and Bills getting in the mix for him. TTaylor probably isn't the long term solution in BUF and Gase is MIA would like a player like Cousins for sure. Either team would instantly challenge the Patriots for the division. No state tax in FL gives the Dolphins an edge on the $$$.

I'm sure BAL and Ozzie would love to have him since Flacco is really just average but cutting him costs major coin. Plus I don't know if they are in a rebuild or just retooling.

But..............I think a dark horse in the race is the Colts. They can get some draft picks for Luck, probably a 1 and 2 next year with a 1 the year after. They offload his contract which makes paying big coin to Cousins easier, and of course the cap is going up again. IMO there is a decent chance this happens.

Good post. It will be interesting tracking Kirk Cousins. He is a product of McVay, and where he ends up is a mystery. My guess is he stays in Wash until they can draft a good QB to take his spot, where he ends up after is questionable. My guess is an AFC South team.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
If Big Ben retires he could go to Pittsburgh. That would be fucking scary.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I live in the DC area and almost all of my buddies who are Redskin fans are ambivalent about Cousins. It blows my mind. He is EASILY a top 10 QB in this league and they have Colt fucking McCoy as their backup. Where do they plan to find a better option?? They could have signed Cousins two years ago and he would be a BARGAIN at this point. I am not sure he wants to stay a foreskin even if they try to sign him at this point. So short sighted of them. Stupid really.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I disagree with Young totally, he is WAY understating what Cousins is as a QB.

Cousins IS a top 5 QB and he's on a very average team.

Consider this.......

4th highest in completion %
3rd highest in YPA
6th highest in yards per game
7th highest in passing TD's (3 way tie) however he has only played 6 games. If he had played 7 he would be in 5th place
3rd highest in QB rating
3rd lowest in INT's among starters with only 3 so far

And guess what. He's accomplishing this on the 21st fewest completions!

So Steve Young is dead wrong on that.

He's right that Cousins wants to stay in Washington, and he's said it every time he's been asked, but the Redskins will need to pony up some big money. Math isn't hard and offering 53MIL guaranteed and 73MIL on a 5 year deal isn't enough. If they tag him next year they will have paid him $78MIL for 3 years. This is bad business by the Redskins. How can they not see it doesn't add up well.

Stafford just got 92MIL guaranteed and 135MIL on a 5 year deal. I think Cousins would get that in the open market, or something really, really close.

If the Redskins lose him it's going to look bad for them. Letting a star QB walk after he has said he wants to stay on several occasions is going to make players think there is dysfunction because if that happens there IS dysfunction.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Good post. It will be interesting tracking Kirk Cousins. He is a product of McVay, and where he ends up is a mystery. My guess is he stays in Wash until they can draft a good QB to take his spot, where he ends up after is questionable. My guess is an AFC South team.

They only have one more tag that they can put on him though.

If Big Ben retires he could go to Pittsburgh. That would be freaking scary.

I hadn't thought of the Steelers, but it's possible!

Didn't he get tagged twice already??

Yup and they have one more to go.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They only have one more tag that they can put on him though
I dont think they arent allowed to tag him a 4th time, just that it inconceivable they could afford to with the 44% increase he would receive

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Cousins -> Jags, Cardinals, Vikings (Depends), Browns (ha ha ha ha)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I dont think they arent allowed to tag him a 4th time, just that it inconceivable they could afford to with the 44% increase he would receive

Inconceivable at 34MIL.

Paying 34MIL for one player for only one year then he becomes a FA is unthinkable, it's borderline stupid.
Cousins -> Jags, Cardinals, Vikings (Depends), Browns (ha ha ha ha)

Do those teams have the money? I know CLE does but why would he want to go there? It's so bad I wish the league would step in and make Haslem sell the team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Inconceivable at 34MIL.

Paying 34MIL for one player for only one year then he becomes a FA is unthinkable, it's borderline stupid.
That's what it will cost them to tag him a 3rd time. A 4th time would cost them 50 mill. Lol

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
inconceivable
Here fixed it for you.
giphy.gif

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, one thing is now for damned sure.

With the development of Goff, Cousins will not be a Ram next year. Lol.