Keenum to start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
March roster bonus is fully guaranteed
As it appears in spotrac, he has some guaranteed money including $1mil in roster bonus + 6 more if on the roster come March. He has some $13+ million guaranteed total but the number that really will come into play is the $3.75 mil cap hit for 2016 and zero for 2017.

I'm sure the Rams will cut their losses and either allow him to restructure or cut him if he proves to be unsalvagable.

Either way it was a gamble and the extension is not likely to affect the team much. Certainly nothing like we are used to spending on a qb that doesn't play.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Fisher just won back a little of my respect, he's not letting his stubbornness get in the way of what's best for the team.

Keenum has some talent, and tbh it has to be damn near impossible to be worse than Foles has been lately.

I think Tyrod Taylor this year has proven not to count a QB out just because he's been a career backup.
This, especially the bolded. It's promising, if Fisher can let go of his good old boy network habits he's one step closer to shaking off what's been holding him back.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If I'm Mannion, I consider myself the number two and treble my efforts to master the offense and get the timing down with Welker and Austin.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As it appears in spotrac, he has some guaranteed money including $1mil in roster bonus + 6 more if on the roster come March. He has some $13+ million guaranteed total but the number that really will come into play is the $3.75 mil cap hit for 2016 and zero for 2017.

I'm sure the Rams will cut their losses and either allow him to restructure or cut him if he proves to be unsalvagable.

Either way it was a gamble and the extension is not likely to affect the team much. Certainly nothing like we are used to spending on a qb that doesn't play.

It was a well structured contract for the Rams, it protected the cap a lot.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I am shocked that Fisher made the move. Not that I don't think it needed to be made.

As far as Keenum..... He's gonna make his share of mistakes as well. He is in the same mold as Austin Davis. He's gonna force some throws into tight windows and I fear we may see more turnovers.

But what he will also provide is more mobility and a better idea of where to go with the ball. IMO the biggest negative with Foles was his holding onto the ball way too long. I lost count just in yesterday's game the number of sideline outs he tried to force across the hash marks. And every single one of them came out late.

And that's not even bringing up the horrible accuracy yesterday. How many throws to Quick and Welker were so far off target that they couldn't even get a hand on it? Keenum will be MUCH BETTER in that area as well.

I was encouraged yesterday they actually tried to incorporate some slants and dig routes from Quick. Just Foles confirmed my suspicions. He can't make those throws with any accuracy.

If they stick with those concepts Keenum will complete them more than not.

I'm hoping this move elevates the QB play to average. I'm looking at video on CK and he doesn't seem to hesitate at all and throws with more zip. Leads the receiver better too.

Honestly, with this D, I'm all for trading TOs for above average scoring at this point.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
He's more mobile than Foles and I doubt he'll miss as many reads.

Was pretty shocked to get that news, though. Nick is in a terrible slump.

I know he threw a perfect dime to Givens in the Preseason. If was an absolute strike.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If I'm Mannion, I consider myself the number two and treble my efforts to master the offense and get the timing down with Welker and Austin.

Mannion hasn't had a first team snap in practice this season and few second team. He has no chemistry with anyone right now.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
ahhhhh.....
Fisher must have watched the game film and said there is no way in hell he could let Foles start this week.
Don't know what he was thinking after Green Bay....waited a lil long in my book...This is a playoff caliber defense....
He also said Keenum isn't on a short leash so expect an entire 1-2 game run before we get to see Mannion?
music to my ears....the only NFL caliber arm on the team....I hope Keenum does well, if not, try Sean next....

Actually....the play of the team in the 2nd half sealed this....We just gave up, after Fish chewed them a new one....Let me know, the team didn't hear the message....probably all the 3 & outs didn't help....

RamzFanz

Damnit
ahhhhh.....

Don't know what he was thinking after Green Bay....waited a lil long in my book...This is a playoff caliber defense....
music to my ears....the only NFL caliber arm on the team....I hope Keenum does well, if not, try Sean next....

Actually....the play of the team in the 2nd half sealed this....We just gave up, after Fish chewed them a new one....Let me know, the team didn't hear the message....probably all the 3 & outs didn't help....

Mannion is not only not ready, they aren't even trying to get him ready. He's getting almost no snaps from what I've read and none with the ones.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
At the very least this offense will be a little better, and no worse, with Keenum starting. The guy has talent and starting experience. If he can just make the reads and be accurate then this offense will be better. We've already seen that this team doesn't need a lot of offense to win games. If he can just be average to above average then that'll be good enough.

The thing I worry about now is the Oline and how the OC handles things. Injuries are going to make this difficult for him. He's likely not going to have much time. He will need to be quick with the ball. His mobility will be great. I just hope that the OC stays with the run game and calls plays to Keenum's strengths.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
@ChrisW ...I have a newfound respect for Fisher in this matter. He didn't even use the flashlight method.
I had waning respect for fisher but if he had kept Foles in then he would have officially lost my respect. sorry about Foles buddy I had hoped for the best but I realized by the third or fourth game that he wast not the answer at all

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am shocked that Fisher made the move. Not that I don't think it needed to be made.

As far as Keenum..... He's gonna make his share of mistakes as well. He is in the same mold as Austin Davis. He's gonna force some throws into tight windows and I fear we may see more turnovers.

But what he will also provide is more mobility and a better idea of where to go with the ball. IMO the biggest negative with Foles was his holding onto the ball way too long. I lost count just in yesterday's game the number of sideline outs he tried to force across the hash marks. And every single one of them came out late.

And that's not even bringing up the horrible accuracy yesterday. How many throws to Quick and Welker were so far off target that they couldn't even get a hand on it? Keenum will be MUCH BETTER in that area as well.

I was encouraged yesterday they actually tried to incorporate some slants and dig routes from Quick. Just Foles confirmed my suspicions. He can't make those throws with any accuracy.

If they stick with those concepts Keenum will complete them more than not.

@CoachO Is there any point and if so when they see what they have in Mannion in a real game environment? That is if Keenum is not successful. Would it be better to see what you have with Mannion or go back to Foles?

RamzFanz

Damnit
It's the right decision, although I hate the backlash Foles' getting from the fans. Dude was hit WAY too much this year and you see it in his play. Foles is a mess mechanics wise, no doubt about it and not many can defend his play as of late. But I don't believe he's as bad as he's played the last few weeks, he was nothing like this early on. Sad situation imo... PROTECT KEENUM OR WE'LL SEE THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO HIM!!! Then again, our OL isn't very good, and Keenum will have 2 seconds to throw before getting hit consistently.

Foles is 1/3 of the problem, but that's 1/3 they can try to fix with one move. Fixing the line or getting the receivers to actually catch is a lot harder.

If the receivers suddenly start catching, then that may be a Foles issue too.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Mannion is not only not ready, they aren't even trying to get him ready. He's getting almost no snaps from what I've read and none with the ones.
Hey, they said the same about Shack Harris young buck.....:)

you forgot the blue font.....

CoachO

Hall of Fame
@CoachO Is there any point and if so when they see what they have in Mannion in a real game environment? That is if Keenum is not successful. Would it be better to see what you have with Mannion or go back to Foles?
I don't see any circumstance outside of serious injuries to both Keenum and Foles where Mannion sees the field this year. As I mentioned earlier, he hasn't had a meaningful rep since training camp. And I don't see that changing.

In similar fashion to last year with Davis, Fisher will give Keenum ample opportunity to show what he can do. I don't see this being a one or two game audition.

If it blows up on them they will go back to Foles and claim this was merely a much needed chance to regain his confidence or some similar mumbo jumbo.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The only way Keenum could be worse than Foles is right now is if he literally dies on the field and Fisher puts some puppet strings on him and controls him from the sideline.

Foles was literally the worst QB in the league at everything. Keenum can't be worse, it's statistically impossible.

God you people are cruel...

Moving-picture-dancing-skeleton-puppet-on-string-animated-gif.gif

Psycho_X

Legend
Wow, didn't think he'd actually do it. I feel bad for Foles he seems like a great leader but that Bears game was just too much to watch and I'm suspecting after coaches went back and watched the tape of those balls sailing on Foles he decided on the switch. I actually think Keenum is a decent starter.... not great but might provide a little spark. Course our oline keeps dwindling so god knows who'll be blocking for him.