Hey Fisher, get a damn QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I couldn't just "switch" my support now even if I wanted. In fact, if I could I would have already done so and would have had some success to celebrate. No. The thing to do as a fan is embrace the suckage. Then when it all turns round, and one day it will for there is a time for everything under the sun on this earth, even the Rams dominating the league again, we"ll be able to say we few, we band of brothers were there at the hardest of times and stuck by our boys.

No QB? Screw the haters. Don't need a QB to get 7 wins a year. Go Rams.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When the Rams moved to St Louis I tried to switch allegiance - ironically to the Jaguars, since I was living in New Orleans and there was no way I could root for the Saints. Couldn't do it. Had one year where I barely followed the NFL, due to breaking up with my fiancee and working 80+ hours a week teaching and working a regular job to pay off business debts, then I returned to rooting for the Rams.

And yes, as @RaminExile points out, rooting through the hard times makes the good times even sweeter. Though naturally I would rather they were all sweet times, of course.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Back at yuh big guy. How you doin' these days? Gotta get back down to see you again.

BTW - "see" is code for trade shots. How's Renee?
We're doing great, my brotha! The door is always open, the water always warm and the beer always cold. Whatcha waiting for?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The Jaguars actually are fun to watch and I was rooting for them to win that division. The offense was outstanding while the D and a young QB lost them a lot of games. Still better then watching a 13-10 snooze fest that Fisher likes to coach every week.

I'll always be a Rams fan but it's hard not to look at up and coming teams that are clearly ahead of us when we've had much longer to rebuild and not be angry.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We're doing great, my brotha! The door is always open, the water always warm and the beer always cold. Whatcha waiting for?
upload_2016-3-18_19-28-22.png

Lots of stuff going on in the Miller realm. I'll fill you in some time. Gonna try to get out your way at some point though.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I just don't get this logic. Watching a team that was 5-11 in beyond any shadow of a doubt the worst division in football is "a lot of fun" yet watching a team that went 7-9 and 4-2 inside what is arguably the toughest division in the NFL isn't? The JAGs (get it?) won all but one of their games by 6 points or less - three of them by 3 points or less - and lost to crap teams like the Titans and phillies and were blown out by the Texans. They barely played any playoff teams let alone sniff at a victory over any of them and THAT team is fun to watch?

I can't answer for the others but I also watched quite a bit of the Jags last year and found them fun to watch. Some reasons:

1. maybe being less emotionally invested meant win/loss mattered less
2. the coach is new and the team seems like they are improving (though record may not show it)
3. many young offensive players that are exciting to watch - yes Rams have Gurley , but the QB and WR situation seems VERY promising in JAC vs current Rams.
4. the young break out of Bortles is significant - he is looking like he may be the next gen of Brees/Manning/Brady/etc.
5. team did not feel like it was playing for 50yrd FGs but for TDs
6. the WR make some really great catches which are fun to watch, and make 3rd and long possible conversion

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Jaguars actually are fun to watch and I was rooting for them to win that division. The offense was outstanding while the D and a young QB lost them a lot of games. Still better then watching a 13-10 snooze fest that Fisher likes to coach every week.

I'll always be a Rams fan but it's hard not to look at up and coming teams that are clearly ahead of us when we've had much longer to rebuild and not be angry.
Again with this. How are they up and coming OR ahead of us? Because they have a QB and an otherwise shitty team? Look at that division. 5-11 in that shitfest? Sorry Legs. I love yuh man but this idea that the JAGs are somehow better than us or have been building their team the right way just isn't reality. Watching the JAGs put up 39 against the god awful Titans and LOSE is good football? They averaged 6 more points than the Rams while giving up a crap load more. Woopie. Yeah - great offense. They can score on crap teams. They played two good teams the entire season and got absolutely thumped by them.

Since 2011 the JAGs haven't won more than 5 games in an uber weak division. Sure Bortles passed for a lot of yards and TDs on his 58% completions. That happens with a lot of teams that suck because they HAVE to throw the rock. When teams are playing prevent against you because you are behind big or they know your defense can't stop them, you are going to get a lot of yards passing and even quite a few TDs. That is not an outstanding offense. They still need a running game for that to occur. And honestly, we don't even know if their passing game is all that great with who and the type of games they have played.

Look at their schedule and tell me how in the WORLD that stacks up against ours. Then tell me how the JAGs are ahead of us.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can't answer for the others but I also watched quite a bit of the Jags last year and found them fun to watch. Some reasons:

2. the coach is new and the team seems like they are improving (though record may not show it)
3. many young offensive players that are exciting to watch - yes Rams have Gurley , but the QB and WR situation seems VERY promising in JAC vs current Rams.
4. the young break out of Bortles is significant - he is looking like he may be the next gen of Brees/Manning/Brady/etc.
5. team did not feel like it was playing for 50yrd FGs but for TDs
6. the WR make some really great catches which are fun to watch, and make 3rd and long possible conversion
I can somewhat accept that you find the JAGs fun to watch - though I found myself laughing and shaking my head most of the time. If I were watching them with any investment however, I would be livid at their ineptness. That schedule they played has to rank right up there as the easiest in the NFL and they only managed 5 wins.

Bortles - though promising is not yet lighting the world on fire. People were all up in arms against Bradford because he was only a 60% thrower while putting up 3700 yards with the receivers he had. I like Bortles but the JAGs have simply put more effort into their passing game than the rest of the team.

We, on the other hand, have invested in our defense and running game, have a strong ST group, and built what promises to be a solid O-line. The idea that the JAGs are ahead of us because they have a passing game is what I have the biggest problem with.

You may enjoy watching a 42-39 game that your team loses or watching your team score a bunch of garbage points. I don't. I'd rather see the likes of Donald destroy your interior line and stuff the QB and have an honest chance to win a game. I don't like the idea of playing just to hold onto a 3 point lead but I get it as we build this team for the duration. We are in almost every game we play. As a fan, I'd rather that than seeing our receiver streaking down the field to get us to within 20 points.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Again with this. How are they up and coming OR ahead of us? Because they have a QB and an otherwise crappy team? Look at that division. 5-11 in that shitfest? Sorry Legs. I love yuh man but this idea that the JAGs are somehow better than us or have been building their team the right way just isn't reality. Watching the JAGs put up 39 against the god awful Titans and LOSE is good football? They averaged 6 more points than the Rams while giving up a crap load more. Woopie. Yeah - great offense. They can score on crap teams. They played two good teams the entire season and got absolutely thumped by them.

Since 2011 the JAGs haven't won more than 5 games in an uber weak division. Sure Bortles passed for a lot of yards and TDs on his 58% completions. That happens with a lot of teams that suck because they HAVE to throw the rock. When teams are playing prevent against you because you are behind big or they know your defense can't stop them, you are going to get a lot of yards passing and even quite a few TDs. That is not an outstanding offense. They still need a running game for that to occur. And honestly, we don't even know if their passing game is all that great with who and the type of games they have played.

Look at their schedule and tell me how in the WORLD that stacks up against ours. Then tell me how the JAGs are ahead of us.
I just think they're further ahead of us from an offensive standpoint. Especially at the QB position which is what wins you games in this league. Bortles threw for 35 touchdowns and 4400 yards. They had two 1,000 yard receivers and a decent running game with a bright future. Defense is such a crapshoot every year and you can't maintain it as long as you can offense.

I'm glad you brought up that they scored 6 more ppg then us. When we scored 23 or more points, we won. Which is exactly what they averaged every game. So by that logic we would have went undefeated with their offense.

I don't think it's a surprise that a team like Seattle started winning once they found their QB because they could build around him. Same with the Raiders. One good defensive year and they're in the playoffs. We've had 3 good defensive years and haven't come close. Yes, I know the Jags are in a terrible division but they could have easily went 11-5 last season if not for a few bad breaks. I would just rather be in their position and be able to stack up on defense then continue to hope and pray a QB falls from the grace of God onto your team like us.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then tell me how the JAGs are ahead of us.

The Jaguars weren't ahead of us but that might change. I said at the start of last year (2015) that Bortles would be inconsistent overall for the year but breakout midway through the year and continue to improve. Due to that, the Jaguars wouldn't contend in 2015 but will contend for the playoffs in 2016. I stand behind that prediction.

They've spent a lot of money this off-season (because they had to) to address some of the big flaws they have and I think Bortles is going to keep improving. They had a top 5 pick in the draft to add to the defense and get their #3 pick in the draft back after he missed his entire rookie year.

With the FAs they've added and the draft capital they have, it's very possible that their defense takes enough strides forward that they are contending for their division in 2016. Plus, the Texans did them a huge favor by paying Osweiler all that money and the Titans did them a huge favor by hiring Mularkey.

The problem the Rams have is that we're stuck in neutral until we find a solution at QB. Hell, if you look at the Jags starting line-up, that team is starting to round into shape:
QB: Blake Bortles
HB: Chris Ivory
XWR: Allen Robinson
ZWR: Allen Hurns
SLWR: Rashad Greene
TE: Julius Thomas
LT: Kelvin Beachum (?)
LG: Luke Joeckel (?)
C: Brandon Linder
RG: A.J. Cann
RT: Jaremy Parnell

LDE: Malik Jackson
NT: Roy Miller
UT: Sen'Derrick Marks
LEO: Dante Fowler Jr.
WLB: Telvin Smith
MLB: Paul Posluszny
SLB: Dan Skuta
LCB: Davon House
RCB: Prince Amukamara
SLCB: Aaron Colvin
FS: Tashaun Gipson
SS: Jonathan Cyprien

Plus, they have the #5 pick in the draft.

There are still a few holes and questions with the team but it's starting to look like a pretty solid roster. My big question is whether Gus Bradley is a good enough coach. I'm not a huge fan of his.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you draft in the top 5 for 5 years straight, you had better find an exciting player or two. If not, you are, well the Detroit Lions....
Jacksonville has Bortles, and we don't. That's the difference.
They have sucked bad enough and long enough to have been in position to draft him
The rest of the players are just window dressing.
Which brings us back to the thread topic.
I think it will take 2 1sts and 1 of this year's 2nds to move inside the top 6. At a minimum.
To which I say:
do-it.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
embrace the suckage

Hopefully not our motto for much longer.

A good point. I enjoy watching the playoffs and certain games during the season between two good teams because of a love for the game itself. It is less tension filled and more enjoyable when I'm not pulling my hair out and screaming at Fisher.

Both the Jags and the Rams are presently stuck in the doldrums for different reasons. The Jags need a defense and the Rams need an offense. Kroenke and Khan should get together and make some trades benefiting both teams. But that's not bloody likely is it?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I enjoy watching the playoffs and certain games during the season between two good teams because of a love for the game itself. It is less tension filled and more enjoyable when I'm not pulling my hair out screaming at Fisher

Ditto.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Due to that, the Jaguars wouldn't contend in 2015 but will contend for the playoffs in 2016. I stand behind that prediction.
In THAT division? They damn well should.
Plus, they have the #5 pick in the draft.
So this year they have to wait a little longer to hand in their ticket. If you average it out, they have probably had the highest picks of any team over the last five years - and that is in all the rounds - not just a player here or there. Their second rounders have consistently been late firsts. And yet they are picking 5th again this year. Again - in that division. How in the hell is that doing it right? Seems to me you have a much lower threshold for them than you do the Rams.

Oh well - guess we'll just have to see.

I love watching the NFL as much as the next guy. But if I am wanting a particular team to win and it is not the Rams, I am not invested. They can suck out loud and I'll probably remember how they made the game close at some point or sacked a QB I don't like or some other aspect. But with the Rams, I can't just do that. If they don't win, I am pissed. And then come Monday, I am ready for them to win the next one.

Maybe in a way that makes me blind to what you think you see. But I look at who they played and how bad they played them. Just not feeling it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I just think they're further ahead of us from an offensive standpoint. Especially at the QB position which is what wins you games in this league. Bortles threw for 35 touchdowns and 4400 yards. They had two 1,000 yard receivers and a decent running game with a bright future. Defense is such a crapshoot every year and you can't maintain it as long as you can offense.

I'm glad you brought up that they scored 6 more ppg then us. When we scored 23 or more points, we won. Which is exactly what they averaged every game. So by that logic we would have went undefeated with their offense.

I don't think it's a surprise that a team like Seattle started winning once they found their QB because they could build around him. Same with the Raiders. One good defensive year and they're in the playoffs. We've had 3 good defensive years and haven't come close. Yes, I know the Jags are in a terrible division but they could have easily went 11-5 last season if not for a few bad breaks. I would just rather be in their position and be able to stack up on defense then continue to hope and pray a QB falls from the grace of God onto your team like us.
First off - Seattle started winning after assembling the league's best defense. Wussel was not exactly winning games for them. Second, the 6 points per game? Means nothing when you are doing it in garbage time against the teams the JAGs got to play last year. Please look at their running game and really tell me how that is a decent running game. MAYBE Ivory will help that but .... meh.

Totally disagree on the defense being a crap shoot more than offense. The philosophy of building a team is varied. If you have a very good defense, you are almost always in games. If your team relies on offense and misses a few beats, they are done. Just look at some of the games the JAGs played. Tell me their season was a model of consistent ANYTHING.

But whatever the case. I think trying to say that the JAGs are farther along or a better team than the Rams is simply not based in reality. Otherwise, they could have at minimum competed in that crap division. Meanwhile, our division is very tough, our defense only lost a few players whose replacements one could argue are already on the team with depth behind them, our O-line appears to have great potential and will grow together as a unit, we have quite likely the best RB in the entire league, a very good ST unit, and definite question marks in the passing game.

And with the 5th overall pick AGAIN, the JAGs pick.... meh - don't care.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
First off - Seattle started winning after assembling the league's best defense. Wussel was not exactly winning games for them. Second, the 6 points per game? Means nothing when you are doing it in garbage time against the teams the JAGs got to play last year. Please look at their running game and really tell me how that is a decent running game. MAYBE Ivory will help that but .... meh.

Totally disagree on the defense being a crap shoot more than offense. The philosophy of building a team is varied. If you have a very good defense, you are almost always in games. If your team relies on offense and misses a few beats, they are done. Just look at some of the games the JAGs played. Tell me their season was a model of consistent ANYTHING.

But whatever the case. I think trying to say that the JAGs are farther along or a better team than the Rams is simply not based in reality. Otherwise, they could have at minimum competed in that crap division. Meanwhile, our division is very tough, our defense only lost a few players whose replacements one could argue are already on the team with depth behind them, our O-line appears to have great potential and will grow together as a unit, we have quite likely the best RB in the entire league, a very good ST unit, and definite question marks in the passing game.

And with the 5th overall pick AGAIN, the JAGs pick.... meh - don't care.
The Seahawks had a top 7 defense two years in a row before Wilson. Whether or not Rams fans want to admit he is good, doesn't matter. He proved himself this past year without a great defense or Lynch. The Jaguars still had 6 rush touchdowns with a 700 yard rusher. Not a top 10 rushing offense but when's the last time the Patriots had a shred of a run game? Corey Dillon?

You can build your defense for maybe 5 years. After that, players start to get older and go to other teams for bigger paychecks. Denvers defense might not be very good next year. Even with practically the same players. That's just the way the NFL is. But with a top QB, you're offense can be great for 10-15 years. This reigns true for Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger and any other top QB.

The reason the Jags might be further ahead is because of Bortles. Until we get a QB we will always be 7-9. They need a middle of the pack defense just to reach the playoffs. As for them picking top 5 every year? Well, sometimes a rebuild takes a few years. They have their QB and are now building the rest of the team. We're still struggling to put a top 20 offense on the field consistently. Just my opinion.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everybody has to do their own thing and I hope they enjoy it. Watching the Jag's year after year not spend their salary cap dollars would drive me away from them honestly. Sure they have some good young players but their lack of effort year after year in actually spending for the product on the field would drive me away. And yes I realize they overpaid Malik Jackson and a few others but they still have $48 million in cap space. That's more than most of the NFL even began with.