From Joe Roderick, St. Louis Sports Radio host RE: Fisher's future

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Unless they get a real OC in here and Fisher lets them alone, this is bad. If this does not happen then I hope all of you temper your expectations greatly about making the playoffs. We all know his career stats and they are mediocre. Something must be done because I don't want to watch several years of .500 or less football again.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Guys .... The OC, in the grand scheme of things , JUST DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER. How'd Martz do in his other roles as an OC?

Anyone?

Quick, name the OC for Green Bay. You don't know who he is. Or for Dallas. Or for the Bengals. Or for Seattle. Or for Oakland.
Be honest. Gase is the new hot thing, but MM couldn't do anything with Cutler.

It's the fucking QB! Period.

It ain't Fisher. Quote 20 years at me all you want, but his asshole boss MADE him draft Vince Young.

These threads are making me crazy. :headexplosion:

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
I for one look forward to more years of sub .500 football and piss poor offence.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guys .... The OC, in the grand scheme of things , JUST DOESN'T freaking MATTER. How'd Martz do in his other roles as an OC?

Anyone?

Quick, name the OC for Green Bay. You don't know who he is. Or for Dallas. Or for the Bengals. Or for Seattle. Or for Oakland.
Be honest. Gase is the new hot thing, but MM couldn't do anything with Cutler.

It's the freaking QB! Period.

It ain't Fisher. Quote 20 years at me all you want, but his icehole boss MADE him draft Vince Young.

These threads are making me crazy. :headexplosion:

Tom Clements (GB). Scott Vanillahan (Dallas). Hue Jackson (Cincy). Darrell Bevell (Seattle). Bill Musgrave (Oakland). What do I win? ;)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm going to temper my enthusiasm for this "news".

Since when does the STL Media have any INSIDE knowledge about what the ownership is going to do?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well...y'all might be amazed at what an experienced and healthy Oline can do for a team.
I think Fisher knew he was getting extended, and told SK, "I'll draft a new Oline, but it'll take 2 years to pay off - we're gonna' suck for a year".
Picture if you will....Saffold stays healthy, Robinson gets a brain (or goes to guard), Brown's back, Havenstein has a year under his belt, we draft or grab a stud center,
Battle gets a TC, and we have Williams, Donnal, Wichmann, Reynolds and Rhaney as backups.

And we only lose Jenkins and Barron, but Gaines is back, and Robeson steps up.

And Mannion kills it in PreSeason - (OK, maybe that's a bit much).
I'd like to picture all that plus a WR who demands a double team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, excellent so let's hope there are many changes on the offensive side of the coaching staff and somehow, someway, but the grace of God, the Rams find a field general that can propel this franchise into the upper echelon of the NFL.

I don't expect any assistant coaching changes. Remember that scout felt like the Rams were Superbowl contenders? That came from the coaches. Fisher is gonna chalk this one up to bad luck with injuries.

I hope they at least find a QB.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Dear lord we sound like that guy who should break up with his girlfriend - it isn't going anywhere, they don't really click, heck she isn't even hot-just average - but he is scared to hit the singles scene again after being with her for a couple of years...cause the unknown is scary....

We all know the guy, we have all seen this...

Sappy113

Rookie
I am disappointed in Fisher and his approach to offense, but this shapes up to be a terrible offseason for a coaching change.

Look around at the potential HC vacancies;

Dolphins
Tennessee
Detroit
New Orleans

You could maybe add; Philly, San Fran, San Deigo

Moving The Chains on Sirius radio said there could be up to 10 openings (but they were counting the Rams as one).

Tough market.

I like the idea of stability, so if he stays he needs help on offense... And...

Without an extension; good luck recruiting a top shelf OC.

Damn you for being so reasonable, you pretty much took the wind out of my Fire Fisher sails. But that is a really good point.

Hopefully it's accompanied by a thorough talk with Kroenke about how it's time to live up to expectations and actually take this team somewhere. And hopefully it comes with a very clear expectation that the O needs to change big time. Cignetti has to be a one-and-done experiment. The need for stability only goes so far. No one can live with a stable situation, if stability = historically bad.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I don't want a change just for the sake of change but if there is anyone out there that could be better we should go after them now.
Or the owner should bring in a new OC like in 1999.

Alan

Legend
I was against hiring him in the first place and he has justified my original thoughts concerning that but now is not the time for change IMO. As others have mentioned, stability is important and we need to actually have a good replacement in mind first. Judging by last years draft, I think he's finally figured out that having a great O-line is every bit as important as have a great D-line. I sure would like for Fisher to hire an experienced OC and actually let him run the offense without much interference though. Or just give Cig a lot more autonomy and see what he can do.

I'd also like for him to stop drafting players in the first two rounds based on their "potential" but then again I'd also like my wife to look like a super model. I'll settle for developing a decent O.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
th.jpg

The ability to score in this league is absolutely as important as defense. This offense we run, this overall offensive mentality, makes it hard to win games even when you are the better team.

You have to be smart and disciplined in order to get good yardage on first down. Yet we have been one of the most undisciplined teams around.
You can't fall behind because your passing game isn't capable of making up points.
You have to control the LOS, yet we've never come close in 4 years.
You have to win TOP, yet we employ a bend but don't break defense that's not really ideal for that. It's built to punish the QB and get turnovers over a entire game. Not so much challenging every move of the sticks. I like that, but you have to score to really reach the effectiveness of this defense IMO.
You have to establish the run game every game, because the passing game is largely irrelevant without play action.

Fisher has twenty years of not really doing those things. Without Steve McNair in his prime, it's not been good for Fisher's teams. Obviously, this is just my opinion, but consistency is only good if you are doing something well. Consistency for consistency's sake is just phoning it in. Giving Fisher his 5th year because you can't find a coach is not optimal, but somewhat understandable. Giving him an extension because you're afraid that you may not find a coach is giving up. There will always be teams that have vacancies to compete with.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I am disappointed in Fisher and his approach to offense, but this shapes up to be a terrible offseason for a coaching change.

Look around at the potential HC vacancies;

Dolphins
Tennessee
Detroit
New Orleans

You could maybe add; Philly, San Fran, San Deigo

Moving The Chains on Sirius radio said there could be up to 10 openings (but they were counting the Rams as one).

Tough market.

My only trouble with this is you can't really plan for a "good" market. This isn't like the draft where you might look at it and go "weak year for QB, but next year looks loaded". Next year there may be 10 more openings for coaches or there may be "better openings" (quality of competition may trump quantity), the NFL surprises each year. By the same token no one really knows what will be available next year either coachingwise - once again not like the draft where you can see ahead to who is developing.

You move on because it is the right decision, not based upon how many teams are going to have openings.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Without Steve McNair in his prime, it's not been good for Fisher's teams.
That's not entirely true, but you still came up with a very valid point. We need better QB play before this offense can get going. No opposing defense is going to fear the passing game, so they can just play man coverage and throw everyone else in the box. It's the reason why we see so many reverses, fake reverses, and other misdirection plays that can slow the defense down for like a 1/4 second while we try a play-action fake.

Sad that we spent a #1 overall and now find ourselves needing another QB.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
How'd Martz do in his other roles as an OC?

Anyone?

I'd say he did pretty good.
As Lions OC - In 2006, his first season, the passing game improved considerably, ranking 7th overall behind quarterback Jon Kitna, who had his first 4,000-yard season at age 34. Detroit lost its first five games with Martz and finished 3–13 in his first season as coordinator. Though the offense obviously had its woes, Martz wasn't blamed for very much of the team's issues, as the defense was also bad and there were various injury and personnel issues.

In 2007, expectations were high despite the previous year's disaster, and it appeared Martz's system was actually beginning to work. The Lions looked to be playoff contenders, almost in competition with Green Bay for the division title at mid-season when they sat comfortably at 6–2. Though Kitna was still sacked far too much during this span due mostly due to seven step drops and his inability to quickly read defenses, it was still a great improvement from the year before, and sacks aside, Detroit possessed a decent passing game.

Shaun McDonald was their leading receiver with nine hundred and forty three yards. However, the team won only one more game that season and finished 7–9. When even players began to complain of Martz's pass-happy and unbalanced offense, the Lions fired him in the offseason.

However, the following season the Lions plummeted in the offensive rankings, and some players (most notably Kitna) were openly frustrated with the conservative play calling that replaced Martz' system as the Lions became the first ever 0-16 team after firing Martz.

As 49ers OC - On January 8, 2008, Martz signed a two-year deal to become the offensive coordinator of theSan Francisco 49ers, who hoped that a fourth offensive coordinator in four years could re-energize the offense (and, most notably, QB Alex Smith's career).

Smith would injure his shoulder in the preseason, however, and miss the entire 2008 season. Martz lobbied for journeyman J.T. O'Sullivan to come in as his replacement, but O'Sullivan and the 49ers offense struggled in the first half of the season. After 49ers coach Mike Nolan was fired and Mike Singletary was brought in as interim head coach, the team gave Shaun Hill a chance to establish himself as the starting quarterback.

Martz was let go as offensive coordinator after the 49ers
named Singletary Head Coach. Singletary reportedly wanted more of a ball-control, run-oriented offense than Martz is known for crafting. San Francisco ranked 23rd out of 32 teams in points scored, 24th in total yards, 13th in passing yards per game and 22nd in net passing yards per attempt, which represents an improvement over 2007 (when SF ranked dead last in all 3 categories), but they ranked 26th in rushing yards & last in total turnovers. However, in 2007 the 49ers only turned the ball over one fewer time than in 2008 under Martz.

As Bears OC - On February 1, 2010, Martz was hired by the Chicago Bears as their offensive coordinator. During his first year in Chicago, the Bears offense was 28th in passing and 22nd in rushing despite having no significant injuries as the Bears made the playoffs and fell seven points short of the Super Bowl.

Martz was known for aggressive play-calling, and the calls for a pass-happy offense led to quarterback Jay Cutler getting repeatedly sacked. The issue caused Cutler to say to Martz "Tell him I said fuck him!" in a game against the Minnesota Vikings in 2011. However, offensive statistics revealed that the Bears were ninth in the NFL in rushing and ninth in rushing attempts and 27th in the NFL in passing attempts for close to a 50-50% balance on offense.

On January 3, 2012, Martz resigned his position with the Bears. He reportedly resigned over philosophical differences with Bears head coach Lovie Smith. Martz's final year was marked by a 7-3 start until season-ending injuries to quarterback Jay Cutler and running back Matt Forte. On January 16, 2012, Martz announced his retirement from coaching.

Martz eventually became an analyst for Fox Sports and after that one season, 2012, he retired from coaching football. He has subsequently become unretired and is interviewing for coaching positions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Martz