From Joe Roderick, St. Louis Sports Radio host RE: Fisher's future

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Can we get back Mad Mike ? I's love him back with Horns, but know it wont happen
train

An interesting article from January of this year on the Rams search for an OC.

http://www.stlamerican.com/sports/s...cle_c918e272-a344-11e4-b030-cb07dc0fda0b.html

Rams face big decision, slim pickings in OC search
By Palmer Alexander III

The job of OC is a big deal because in the NFL you are one step away from becoming a head coach. Let’s face it, the job as OC for the St. Louis Rams don’t seem very appealing. With the flurry of activity with head coaching positions being filled in Oakland, San Francisco, Atlanta, Denver, Buffalo, Atlanta, Chicago and New York, pickings are very slim for the Rams.

Rams QB coach Cignetti has either been a QB coach or OC last 15 years of his coaching career. Now Cignetti is interviewing for OC position with the Cleveland Browns. Initially I thought he would get an interview with the Rams but that has yet to happen.

Former Rams coach Mike Martz is also interviewing for the job in Cleveland. He last coached in 2011 with the Chicago Bears. Martz compiled a record of 53-32 with a .624 winning percentage. The Rams made the playoffs four out of five years with Martz steering the ship. I would love for Jeff Fisher to interview Martz. But, it won’t that’s too outside the box for Fisher. Still, it would be interesting.

Fisher said he wanted a rock star coaching staff. He has Gregg Williams but that’s it. It’s a well-known fact how much Fisher like to run the ball. Martz has had success in his offense running the football. According to Pro Football Reference, during Martz’s tenure the Rams rushing offense ranked 1st twice in rushing touchdowns and another time 4th. In both seasons where the Rams went on to the Super Bowl they ranked 5th in rushing yards.

When Martz last coached with the Bears in 2011, his offense ranked 9th in rushing and the offense averaged 30.5 points a game before injuries mounted with RB Matt Forte and QB Jay Cutler.

The Rams had interest in interviewing Alex Gase, the OC in Denver. He was also the QB coach for Detroit Lions while Martz was coordinator. He was a rising star. When John Fox left the Denver Broncos, Gase interviewed for the head coaching position, however former Denver Broncos quarterback Gary Kubiak got the job after working as offensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens.

The Rams were also denied request to interview the Green Bay Packers’ QB coach Alex Van Pelt and Rob Chudzinski of the Indianapolis Colts. Should their present QB coach Frank Cignetti leave for greener and more stable pastures, the Rams will be in a serious bind. It’s almost last call and there aren’t a lot of attractive choices left.

Follow Palmer on Twitter @thelegendkil

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
A "team" implies all facets.

I remember a time when no facets were working. Unfortunately while two out of three ain't bad, it's not good enough for a playoff team unless you're in the AFC South or NFC East.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So what are you really saying, Memphis?

That we won't be able to get a decent HC if we fire Fisher?

The possible team move to beautiful So California, lack of current starting caliber QB, or the possibility that GW and the new HC couldn't work together are insurmountable problems?

Insurmountable problems for an ambitious up and coming HC candidate for one of the top 32 jobs in the entire world in his field of work that would pay him millions annually providing him and his family lifetime financial security? Seriously? Are you going with that?

Do you realize how silly that sounds? Lol.

I'll repeat. Compared to any other potential new HC opportunity I can think of that a candidate might be fortunate enough to consider, this one is a dream come true.

Yeah all that sounds extremely silly. Of course, I hadn't said any of that at all.:thinking:

I merely pointed out some hiccups which I think may be a hindrance for some potential candidates. Especially candidates that have options.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what are you really saying, Memphis?

That we won't be able to get a decent HC if we fire Fisher?

The possible team move to beautiful So California, lack of current starting caliber QB, or the possibility that GW and the new HC couldn't work together are insurmountable problems?

Insurmountable problems for an ambitious up and coming HC candidate for one of the top 32 jobs in the entire world in his field of work that would pay him millions annually providing him and his family lifetime financial security? Seriously? Are you going with that?

Do you realize how silly that sounds? Lol.

I'll repeat. Compared to any other potential new HC opportunity I can think of that a candidate might be fortunate enough to consider, this one is a dream come true.

You're both right to a degree. This will be an attractive job because of the talent on this team and favorable cap situation. But the lack of QB and stadium issues looming over the team keep it from being by far the best job on the market.

MountainRam

Rookie
Rams have the worst coaching situation purely on the basis of relocation. Relocation trumps the talent on board for any good HC candidate. So staying put may be best option for next year for the Rams.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Rams have the worst coaching situation purely on the basis of relocation. Relocation trumps the talent on board for any good HC candidate. So staying put may be best option for next year for the Rams.

Not sure why you think that would be the case. The relocation would give the next coach reason to ask for a 5yr contract (which is long by NFL standards) and a built in excuse for early issues.

Memphis Ram

Legend
You're both right to a degree. This will be an attractive job because of the talent on this team and favorable cap situation. But the lack of QB and stadium issues looming over the team keep it from being by far the best job on the market.

True. I just think that we sometimes forget that these guys are still human and have families. And not only the head coach, but his potential staff hires, too.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Martz compiled a record of 53-32 with a .624 winning percentage. The Rams made the playoffs four out of five years with Martz steering the ship.

And he got ran out of town for that record and we haven't won since. Some curses are self inflicted!:(

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Guys .... The OC, in the grand scheme of things , JUST DOESN'T freaking MATTER. How'd Martz do in his other roles as an OC?

Anyone?

Quick, name the OC for Green Bay. You don't know who he is. Or for Dallas. Or for the Bengals. Or for Seattle. Or for Oakland.
Be honest. Gase is the new hot thing, but MM couldn't do anything with Cutler.

It's the freaking QB! Period.

It ain't Fisher. Quote 20 years at me all you want, but his icehole boss MADE him draft Vince Young.

These threads are making me crazy. :headexplosion:

Yup.

MountainRam

Rookie
Not sure why you think that would be the case. The relocation would give the next coach reason to ask for a 5yr contract (which is long by NFL standards) and a built in excuse for early issues.

That is the reason I said a good HC candidate not a slimy one

FRO

Legend
I think the Colts job is appealing provided Grigson is fired too. Coaching Luck in a horrible division has to be appealing. May be the one job that gets Saban to leave Alabama.

As far as the Rams, all you have to do is retain the defense and make the offense average. Plus the NFC west is weakening.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah all that sounds extremely silly. Of course, I hadn't said any of that at all.:thinking:

I merely pointed out some hiccups which I think may be a hindrance for some potential candidates. Especially candidates that have options.

Sorry if I appeared to put words in your mouth, Memphis. That was definitely not my intention.

Let me wrap this up by coming at it from a different direction.

If a HC candidate is gonna be put off or discouraged by the possibility of a double move or by the current lack of a starting caliber QB, then I wouldn't want him anyway.

Especially when he would be inheriting everything else already in place.